The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 12/14/2019 at 11:54 AM, Paul Wesley said:

Not sure if this video was posted on either the pedal thread or the amp thread, but I think it's interesting.  I really wish I had better advice when I was making a lot of my early pedal and amp purchases, because I didn't have any understanding of gain staging, compression, etc.   

In fact, of the first three guitars I bought as a teenager with my yard-mowing money, I still own all three, and they're still great guitars. 

The first three amps?  Crap, meh, and meh.  A Yamaha 2x12 amp... blah.  A "Legend" 1x12 combo that is a Mesa Boogie clone (meh), and a late 80's Princeton chorus that took a dump within a few years of getting it home.  Of the three, I still have only the Legend, and that's purely a sentimental choice, since it was my amp during my garage-band rocker years.

First three pedals?  I think one was a Boss chorus (1980's, Holla!).  That one just gave up the ghost in the past few years.  Otherwise, my early pedal purchases were mostly shit.

My first pedal was a Rocktek distortion. I kinda wish I still had it. It was so bad it was kinda cool, like a cheap piece of shit Sears tube amp. Fuzzy sustain for days. Don't know where it ended up. 

• Like 1

My first pedal was a Rocktek distortion. I kinda wish I still had it. It was so bad it was kinda cool, like a cheap piece of shit Sears tube amp. Fuzzy sustain for days. Don't know where it ended up. 

Same.

Bought it at Zoo Music in Garland Road in Dallas. I suspect mine may still be in the back of some closet at my parents’ house.

If you are needing some peeps to add to your subscriptions:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-8-best-online-guitar-personalities-in-the-world-today?utm_content=buffer32419&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer_gfb

Notable omissions:

Rick Beato
Tyler Larsen (Musis is Win)
Jared Dines
Ryan Bruce (Fluff)

Drop any more you think should be added. I'm always looking to add to the family.

https://instagram.com/toradaa?igshid=14okyl50nu3et

Took a trip back to Wildwood today to see about a pedal power supply and wound up playing a fender custom shop Gilmour Black strat and an Inca silver thin line tele that @noharleyyet was lusting after.  I definitely liked the tele better.  It was a wild, almost uncontrollable beast of a guitar (in the best of ways).  Almost made me regret buying the ES-330 for about the same $$$.  I took a few pics of other guitars for you thirsty mofos.

0-B298231-E07-F-4223-A217-3-E9-B4-DBAEF4

5-E92-D35-A-8-CC1-4481-B932-067306-AE2-D

25-BFD898-43-FB-4622-BD3-B-9-A658-E57-E1

FE51902-D-F4-A8-48-DC-BBE9-4-A396036926-

1-BB0-CA58-EB2-F-4464-8765-34-BAD62487-D

6-F7-E5342-D59-E-49-D9-88-BE-587-EF4711-

DE873040-6776-4765-B896-E47-A79-BB9389.j

70-FA29-D1-CAAA-4739-9474-C0-A63-C25-A69

4-BA79423-8-C0-A-47-D3-BBCA-1-D1-F183-CC

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

A476-D382-2-A30-49-F9-8-BF7-1-F1-ADFDA5-

There's a line in "Raising Arizona" after HI gets married and decides to go straight.  But pretty soon he gets restless.  He's narrating and he says, "I found myself driving past convenience stores that weren't on the way home."  

Right now I keep finding myself driving past semi-hollows with P90's that aren't on the way home.

In other words:  I'm jealous.  Congrats on the new guitar.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

There's a line in "Raising Arizona" after HI gets married and decides to go straight.  But pretty soon he gets restless.  He's narrating and he says, "I found myself driving past convenience stores that weren't on the way home."  

Right now I keep finding myself driving past semi-hollows with P90's that aren't on the way home.

In other words:  I'm jealous.  Congrats on the new guitar.

Thanks!  I really like the combo of hollow resonance w/P90s.  I definitely can’t push this as hard as I could a P90 ES-335 with overdrive, but it’s clean to mild overdriven tone is like savoring a bite of creme brûlée’s.

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Thanks!  I really like the combo of hollow resonance w/P90s.  I definitely can’t push this as hard as I could a P90 ES-335 with overdrive, but it’s clean to mild overdriven tone is like savoring a bite of creme brûlée’s.

That's where I'm at with my '62 Sorrento Reissue with the mini-buckers. Turned down a touch and clean, it's like angels singing. 

• Like 1

So, if you sign up for Fender Play, the online teaching tool, you get 10% off Fender products through their website or at retailers, even during the trial period. If you are looking to make a purchase, you might want to sign up, go buy, then cancel before the trial period is up. 

• Like 2

Last minute stocking stuffer...

Fender Limited Edition Stratocaster Electric Guitars: American Performer

$749
$1,499.00
& More + Free S&H
+27 Deal Score
12,376 Views 44 Comments
Adorama.com has Fender Limited Edition American Performer Stratocaster Electric Guitar on sale for $749 w/ coupon code GIFTS2019. Shipping is free. Thanks iconian

Adorama.com has Fender Limited Edition American Professional Stratocaster Electric Guitar on sale for $999 w/ coupon code GIFTS2019. Shipping is free.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yea I’d be interested in that too.

Only other person I’d know to ask would be John Mayer but I know what his answer would be.

It’s going to be something in the pickups/tone, because that’s why he has always veered away from Strats in the past. He’s got a G&L tele and an ES-330, but other than that it’s been all Gibsons with humbuckers.

Edited by Goredho

43 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

The best compliment I can give my last PRS was that it helped me afford the R6 in trade...but there are a couple or three solid players not named Mayer in my area that swear by em. If I could play worth a shit I'd probably like em better. 

The S2 Studio I sold to help pay for the eS-330 was a good, solid guitar for the money.  But after buying that Les Paul Standard 60s, it and my Godin just sat on the wall.  Good guitars, but they didn’t evoke joy when played like the LP.  The ES-330 and Les Paul both do it for me for different reasons.

11 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

What’s a good electric or acoustic for $1200? 

I'm not a prolific acoustic player or aficionado, but when I go play with the acousticals at Guitar Center I tend to prefer the Taylor lower priced MIM variety over similarly priced Martins. 

My budget is now 1799
A Martin D-18 or 000-18 has a MAP (minimum advertised price) of $2,499. If you were to email Sweetwater I'm willing to bet they'de get under $2,100. Still higher than you budget, but if you could come up with a couple extra hundos you,de have yourself the kind of iconic, lifetime guitar that country music was built on.

Everybody from Hank Williams to Johnny Cash played a D-18; Jimmie Rodgers and Woodie Guthrie played the smaller 000 version, to name a few.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Rickenbacker’s? The 330 jet glo looks nice 

They are beautiful handcrafted instruments. Rickys don’t sound like nobody and nobody don’t sound like a Ricky.

They’re much more suited to jangly pop than much of anything else though.

I need one. It’s a gap in my collection.

26 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They are beautiful handcrafted instruments. Rickys don’t sound like nobody and nobody don’t sound like a Ricky.

They’re much more suited to jangly pop than much of anything else though.

I need one. It’s a gap in my collection.

That’s where I’m at. I have les Paul’s and strats and a tele. Also have 2 PRS’s