The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

So this showed up on Reverb. I really want one of these bastard children. Kind of tempted to get the red but I really want it in sunburst.

FENDER USA STRAT-O-SONIC + OHSC Lk Tuners & Duncan PU American StratOSonic 02109 https://applink.reverb.com/item/30814343-fender-usa-strat-o-sonic-ohsc-lk-tuners-duncan-pu-american-stratosonic-02109

These are rare birds. Get the red. If you ever find a sunburst,sell the red.

16 hours ago, tbone_ said:

So this showed up on Reverb. I really want one of these bastard children. Kind of tempted to get the red but I really want it in sunburst.

FENDER USA STRAT-O-SONIC + OHSC Lk Tuners & Duncan PU American StratOSonic 02109 https://applink.reverb.com/item/30814343-fender-usa-strat-o-sonic-ohsc-lk-tuners-duncan-pu-american-stratosonic-02109

Dammit.  If my LP would sell, I would buy this.   Never seen one.  

NYE 2020 had a lot going on for me, but this photo I found on my phone reminded me

We made a stop early and left as the band was still setting up, but I had to ask this guy for a photo of his Gretsch when he pulled it from the case. I thought I had all my guitar bases covered, and this one is with the Billy-Bo, but I suddenly have a bad case of GAS for a 6121 to match my 6120. A Jet of some sort might scratch that itch.

7215c640b5f94183eaefdf3452a94a6d.jpg

• Like 5

Happy new years fuckers.  My resolution is to pick out a tune every week.
this is capo'd on the fifth fret and is mostly G, quick C, G, D, C, G.  Every now and then he hits that really nice different chord - it's B7, this guy that you should all know
b7.png

One per week is admirable. I’d be doing well to do one a month.

On 12/31/2019 at 11:23 PM, Celery Man said:

Happy new years fuckers.  My resolution is to pick out a tune every week.

Mine is to start playing live again regularly (last time was 20 years ago), and I have a twice a month contract with my wife to allow it (pics on xtube).  I've been talking to a local pub owner I know and I got the go ahead to play there on Thursday nights whenever I want as soon as I put together a set list.  It will be me with a guitar, microphone and either backing tracks or a looper + bass9 & beatbuddy pedal.  Slightly terrifying, so considering going full buckethead to hide from the audience.  Wish me luck.

Other goal (not really a resolution) for 2020 is to decide if I want to stick with pedals and valve amps or go full digital skynet.  I have a Line6 Helix LT being delivered today that I will (hopefully) use to replace most of my pedals into the Vox AC30 for live and direct to macbook for recording.  I am intrigued about the state of amp modeling w/FRFR speakers, so I want to experiment some and see if I want to go that route.  For the live scenario I described where I will need to reproduce a range of instruments for an audience, just having the helix, full-range powered speakers and a looper or iphone w/backing tracks has a strong minimalists appeal to me.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Gonna need some promo loops....and good for you.

Thanks for the encouragement and holding me accountable :P . This is as good as I can do at the moment.  Its the second original songlette I've recorded since getting back on the guitar, after maybe 8-9 months back playing regularly.  Its also kind of my first foray into digital and modeling, going straight to macbook and using a Bias FX plugin within garageband for signal processing.  I don't know wtf I am doing as far as mixing and eq, so while I like the song and am reasonably happy with my playing at this point, I'm not at all happy with the tone, mix and mastering.  I don't really have a desire to build up audio-engineering skills, so not sure that will improve.  Definitely not in 2020.

For these live gigs, I'm probably going to do a mix of 2/3rds covers and 1/3rd originals.  At least start with that ratio and see what the reaction is.  The covers will be primarily 60's/70's songs that everyone will recognize, things like "Oye Como Va", "Hotel California" and "Comfortably Numb".  I'm toying with the idea of shortening the songs and making them fully instrumental.  I'm much less confident singing than I am playing guitar.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 6

On 1/3/2020 at 11:29 AM, Goredho said:

Mine is to start playing live again regularly (last time was 20 years ago), and I have a twice a month contract with my wife to allow it (pics on xtube).  I've been talking to a local pub owner I know and I got the go ahead to play there on Thursday nights whenever I want as soon as I put together a set list.  It will be me with a guitar, microphone and either backing tracks or a looper + bass9 & beatbuddy pedal.  Slightly terrifying, so considering going full buckethead to hide from the audience.  Wish me luck.

Other goal (not really a resolution) for 2020 is to decide if I want to stick with pedals and valve amps or go full digital skynet.  I have a Line6 Helix LT being delivered today that I will (hopefully) use to replace most of my pedals into the Vox AC30 for live and direct to macbook for recording.  I am intrigued about the state of amp modeling w/FRFR speakers, so I want to experiment some and see if I want to go that route.  For the live scenario I described where I will need to reproduce a range of instruments for an audience, just having the helix, full-range powered speakers and a looper or iphone w/backing tracks has a strong minimalists appeal to me.

How do you like that beatbuddy pedal?  I put some money on that kickstarter but backed out of actually buying the pedal.    I picked up an Alesis drum machine in the meantime but still thinking about that pedal or the DigiTech SDrum.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:51 AM, Buzzrock said:

Looks like I may have a weekend to kill in San Francisco later this month. Anyone know of any bars where guitar players hang out?

Hey Buzz.  A chick that used to work at 11st Street Pub is just down the street from AUTF's haunt.  She also worked at the Establishment at Colony Square fairly recently.  She works at Casements Bar, 2351 Mission St. 

Go in there, ask for Cory and tell her you know Doug.  I'm guessing you won't pay for many drinks after that.  Tall chick with fantastic blue eyes and a mouth like a sailor.   You will love her.  

And AUTF.  You should go see Cory as well.  She is a fucking doll.   

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

How do you like that beatbuddy pedal?  I put some money on that kickstarter but backed out of actually buying the pedal.    I picked up an Alesis drum machine in the meantime but still thinking about that pedal or the DigiTech SDrum.

Don't own one yet, its just an option I'm considering.

On 1/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, Goredho said:

Thanks for the encouragement and holding me accountable :P . This is as good as I can do at the moment.  Its the second original songlette I've recorded since getting back on the guitar, after maybe 8-9 months back playing regularly.  Its also kind of my first foray into digital and modeling, going straight to macbook and using a Bias FX plugin within garageband for signal processing.  I don't know wtf I am doing as far as mixing and eq, so while I like the song and am reasonably happy with my playing at this point, I'm not at all happy with the tone, mix and mastering.  I don't really have a desire to build up audio-engineering skills, so not sure that will improve.  Definitely not in 2020.

For these live gigs, I'm probably going to do a mix of 2/3rds covers and 1/3rd originals.  At least start with that ratio and see what the reaction is.  The covers will be primarily 60's/70's songs that everyone will recognize, things like "Oye Como Va", "Hotel California" and "Comfortably Numb".  I'm toying with the idea of shortening the songs and making them fully instrumental.  I'm much less confident singing than I am playing guitar.

Where did the drums come from on this?  

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I have a cheesy Alesis drum machine that I use for practice as a simply fancier metronome. I’d be interested in the beat buddy discussion as well.

Look at those SDrums as well.  Beat Buddy just made a mini that is a little cheaper with less features but I haven't test driven one of them.  You hardly ever see a used one  (Beat Buddy or SDrum) around the shops.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Where did the drums come from on this?  

So that track was recorded with garageband, which has a virtual drummer that you can drop as a track into your overall mix. Its pretty nifty.  That is what I would use if I go the backing track route.  Record the accompaniment much as I did this song, master down to an MP4 and then run it through the PA from ITunes or somesuch while I play along with it live.  Everything else in that track is guitar.  Even the bass, which is just a guitar track with a bass transformation plugin, which again comes free with garageband.

Overall, I'm really impressed with garageband on mac.  Its not logic pro, but you can make excellent recordings and it is free to download from the app store.  They have a mobile version as well, but I've heard its not as full featured/not all plugins work within it.

To record that track, all I needed to buy was a behringer u-phoria UMC22 interface for the guitar at $70 and I paid a $99 license for Bias FX guitar processing plugin, but the latter was not strictly necessary.  GarageBand has a lot of guitar effect/amp/cab models built in.  I already had a macbook pro for work and my guitar.  I went guitar -> interface -> computer and relied on bias fx 2 for all effects, amps & cab modeling.

Edit:  I am switching from Bias FX 2 to Line6 Helix Native which will be compatible with my Helix LT pedalboard that I will be using live.

Edited by Goredho