The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s cool. I wish I could do all that. But every time I think about sitting down to learn all that I just end up picking my guitar and spending the time trying to become a better player. I don’t think it works though.

Yeah, its definitely a time sink.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, Bogeywon said:

f2a45b2eb8f10fad51282a697f6c97a4.jpg
I got the bug again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GC exclusive so I’m only getting a small discount. 1527.00 out the door and they said California has a mint one. Here’s the problem. I have 3 LP’s. That would be my 5th Gibson if you count my Epiphone Sheridan Union Jack. Should I go for this or do I do a Rickenbacker or a Gretsch to expand my collection? Am I focusing to much on Gibson(4) fender(3) and PRS(2) in my collection? Can’t wait to get a new house in like 3 years so I can build my dream music room

• Like 3

Hey Buzz.  A chick that used to work at 11st Street Pub is just down the street from AUTF's haunt.  She also worked at the Establishment at Colony Square fairly recently.  She works at Casements Bar, 2351 Mission St. 
Go in there, ask for Cory and tell her you know Doug.  I'm guessing you won't pay for many drinks after that.  Tall chick with fantastic blue eyes and a mouth like a sailor.   You will love her.  
And AUTF.  You should go see Cory as well.  She is a fucking doll.   

Excellent rec, thanks.

Mobile GarageBand is actually pretty fun. You need some sort of guitar interface if you want to record electric, and the iPad mic is surprisingly decent for recording acoustic. Plus I like that you can “play” some of the other parts on the iPad as virtual instruments.

Examples (I’ve posted these before maybe on TOS):

Me noodling around with the Breedlove after I got it. Guitar recorded with the iPad mic, bass “played” by me using a GarageBand virtual instrument, and ham handed percussion played on the iPad too.

This is the first time I used the iRig to record electric, trying three different tones in GarageBand. Bass I played on iPad, drums too. Pretty decent guitar tones IMO. Nothing really happens after 1:30.

Here’s a bluegrassy version of a Bon Jovi song. Guitar and mandolin recorded with iPad mic, bass played on iPad, drums are a loop, organ played by me on the iPad.

I can’t get the hang of a real recording software package, even GarageBand on the Mac. I get overwhelmed immediately.

One tip: you can’t use Bluetooth headphones with GarageBand for iOS. The latency is too bad.
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, tbone_ said:

That’s cool. I wish I could do all that. But every time I think about sitting down to learn all that I just end up picking my guitar and spending the time trying to become a better player. I don’t think it works though.

This right here.  It's how I know I'm getting old.  "All this technology is just SO CONFUSING!" 

Better try to learn it some more.  Keep the ole noggin supple.

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Mobile GarageBand is actually pretty fun. You need some sort of guitar interface if you want to record electric, and the iPad mic is surprisingly decent for recording acoustic. Plus I like that you can “play” some of the other parts on the iPad as virtual instruments.

Me noodling around with the Breedlove after I got it. Guitar recorded with the iPad mic, bass “played” by me using a GarageBand virtual instrument, and ham handed percussion played on the iPad too.

This is the first time I used the iRig to record electric, trying three different tones in GarageBand. Bass I played on iPad, drums too. Pretty decent guitar tones IMO. Nothing really happens after 1:30.

Here’s a bluegrassy version of a Bon Jovi song. Guitar and mandolin recorded with iPad mic, bass played on iPad, drums are a loop, organ played by me on the iPad.

I can’t get the hang of a real recording software package, even GarageBand on the Mac. I get overwhelmed immediately.

One tip: you can’t use Bluetooth headphones with GarageBand for iOS. The latency is too bad.

This is great Buzz!  I love the Dead or Alive cover. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Cool songs, @buzzrock!  Ditto what Chad said about the Bon Jovi cover.  You took it somewhere new, which is what I always want a cover to do.  It is really a great time to be a musician, at least from a tooling standpoint.

As mentioned above, I had been looking at different 'drum pedals' like Beat Buddy and SDrum, but was shying away due to concerns about their flexibility and my being afraid of the learning curve required.  

So, I bought an Alesis SR16 drum machine.  Just plug it into a channel on the board and messed with it for about 30 minutes last night.  I am going to LOVE this thing once I get two pedals to control the A/B patterns and the fills.  It was $150.   Pedals are $15 each.  I like it better than the pedal drum machines for a bunch of reasons. 

1) It starts with 50 basic patterns rock/ballad/country/jazz/reggae etc that are then editable
2) You can see the BPM on the screen and easily change that on the fly.
3) The A/B patterns make it easy to quickly change the pattern to use for verse/chorus changes.
4) It has an easy to read screen that shows all the info you need.
5) It seems pretty intuitive and building 'songs' seems relatively easy and also easy to edit/save/recall them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SR16--alesis-sr-16-drum-machine

It also has a fairly small footprint (9"x7") and weighs less than 3lb.

BTW, I went with these two:  
Board: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG10c--yamaha-mg10-10-channel-mixer

Speaker: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZLX12BT--electro-voice-zlx-12bt-1000w-12-inch-powered-speaker-with-bluetooth
Without the Bluetooth.  They have been on sale with the bluetooth model coming out.  

Now, to get all of my wife's shit/holiday decoration staging area out of my guitar room.  The Struggle is Real

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

As mentioned above, I had been looking at different 'drum pedals' like Beat Buddy and SDrum, but was shying away due to concerns about their flexibility and my being afraid of the learning curve required.  

So, I bought an Alesis SR16 drum machine.  Just plug it into a channel on the board and messed with it for about 30 minutes last night.  I am going to LOVE this thing once I get two pedals to control the A/B patterns and the fills.  It was $150.   Pedals are $15 each.  I like it better than the pedal drum machines for a bunch of reasons. 

1) It starts with 50 basic patterns rock/ballad/country/jazz/reggae etc that are then editable
3) The A/B patterns make it easy to quickly change the pattern to use for verse/chorus changes.
5) It seems pretty intuitive and building 'songs' seems relatively easy and also easy to edit/save/recall them.

Board: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG10c--yamaha-mg10-10-channel-mixer

Speaker: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZLX12BT--electro-voice-zlx-12bt-1000w-12-inch-powered-speaker-with-bluetooth
Without the Bluetooth.  They have been on sale with the bluetooth model coming out.  

Now, to get all of my wife's shit/holiday decoration staging area out of my guitar room.  The Struggle is Real

Appreciate the rundown.

18 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s the one I have

I wondered about that.  I was surprised how easy it was to build songs and save them.  I've NEVER messed with drum loops at all and I deal with software all day so I hate learning new stuff like for recording/editing/mixing software.  I'd rather spend that time playing the guitar rather than learning software.  But if I like this one enough, I'll get a better one but for now, this fits my needs.  

Edited by hullabelew

7 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Are you playing a guitar through an amp alongside the PA?  Or using some sort of DI rig?

7 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Are you playing a guitar through an amp alongside the PA?  Or using some sort of DI rig?

DI . I'm experimenting with different set ups right now. I bought a new DI box that goes between the amp and speaker then to the board, bit I haven't messed with it yet. Im still squeezing my wife's shit out of my guitar room into the DMZ.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Where

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://www.brokenstringguitars.com

Had a $2300 price tag on it.  It played and sounded very nice, but I didn’t inspect it thoroughly.  Most of the paint is gone from the back of the neck (looked great) and the the pots are no longer  level with the body (didn’t affect usability).

Edited by Goredho

Played some Martin dreadnaughts today.

1st I asked to see a D18. Guy comments how light this paticular guitar is. I strum it for a couple minutes and he comments that it's a loud one too. Me, "Every guitar I touch is loud. That's why they call me Shawn Rocker."

It was a sweet sounding one. New and i guess they updated them a year or 2 ago.

Played a new D28 and a couple other older ones, but the girlfriend and I both thought that D18 was the one.

Sorry to disappoint, but I left it hanging without even a picture. Trying to justify adding a 4th acoustic over a nice vacation somewhere. I'd like to see Constantinople before I die, and the GF is Croatian so...

Then again,c223639c7a3d948f74174e6d38c5692d.jpg

• Like 3

Played some Martin dreadnaughts today.

1st I asked to see a D18. Guy comments how light this paticular guitar is. I strum it for a couple minutes and he comments that it's a loud one too. Me, "Every guitar I touch is loud. That's why they call me Shawn Rocker."

It was a sweet sounding one. New and i guess they updated them a year or 2 ago.

Played a new D28 and a couple other older ones, but the girlfriend and I both thought that D18 was the one.

Sorry to disappoint, but I left it hanging without even a picture. Trying to justify adding a 4th acoustic over a nice vacation somewhere. I'd like to see Constanople before I die, and the GF is Croatian so...

Then again,c223639c7a3d948f74174e6d38c5692d.jpg

Now it’s Istanbul, not Constantinople.

I'm finally starting to settle into my new place and this beautiful big bay window is large enough to be both my home office area and guitar area. There's still a ton of work to do, including replacing these cheap singlenoane windows; my daughter is making curtains for them, I have that blanket there temporarily to block the glare.

There's a fucking busstop right below those guitars and people walking across the crosswalk often look up and flash me a when I'm sitting here jamming. The sun sets right in the middle of the big center window and it's a hell of a muse.

2f14a7ccd80391df7dcab8af36b5cb07.jpg5c7188002adb97ac64d2afbf29d645bf.jpg

• Like 8

Not to derail the thread but....

The smaller bedroom has the same view from a smaller bay window, plus the neon bar sign. Right now its acting as my living room as I remodel the kitchen / living area. I have about 5 bus routes with stops steps from my door, including a couple Rapid routes to downtown. A MUNI train about 4 minute walk, and BART about a 10 minute walk or super short bus hop.

Cool ass neighborhood bar downstairs plus everything you need to live on the block (restaurants, coffee shop, market, barber, even a church).

Once the remodel is done I think I'm going to make the smaller room (12×11 with decent closet) a very Rock and Roll themed bedroom and market it that way on AirBnB. It's not a quiet place to sleep, but not as bad as you'de think and offers a lot for the demographic I'd try to attract. I've even got a covered and secluded back patio for the smokers.

Of course there will be a severely cut rate for any Surly members coming to town.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I'm finally starting to settle into my new place and this beautiful big bay window is large enough to be both my home office area and guitar area. There's still a ton of work to do, including replacing these cheap singlenoane windows; my daughter is making curtains for them, I have that blanket there temporarily to block the glare.

There's a fucking busstop right below those guitars and people walking across the crosswalk often look up and flash me a emoji869.png when I'm sitting here jamming. The sun sets right in the middle of the big center window and it's a hell of a muse.

Nice mug you got there.  Really pulls the room together.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

There's a fucking busstop right below those guitars and people walking across the crosswalk often look up and flash me a emoji869.png when I'm sitting here jamming. The sun sets right in the middle of the big center window and it's a hell of a muse.

omg fuck you

• Like 1