The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I have packed up all but two guitars for sporadic noodling. I love the GIbson SG faded I bought new a few years ago, but got tired of the sticky nut that caused it to go out of tune all the time. Now it's just the Squier bullet Tele I got new for $125 and the Epi Les Paul Standard I stole for $60 at a pawn shop. I hadn't played the latter for a while, but after picking it up it sure feels great. Stays in tune, really smooth.

How does this work DougO. Being a Gretsch hound I followed your link. In the bottom I see a deal for the double cut jet I've been drooling for lately with a price attractive enough to trigger a strike. But when I click it the price goes up to $2,599, even after putting it in the cart. I may need to call. I still love that Butterscotch Tele that y'all pointed me to at Adorama a few years back.

3b67e8d1a346830b0fabd52285c53e7e.jpg

Edit - on the phone now. Looks like we'll have a new guitar day soon!

Oh sure, AFTER I come to town!

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Oh boy.

Here comes the sad tale of the demise of the vagicaster...

It had a busted trem block anyway, only could hold five strings.

Vag always finds a way to not get played by me.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

What’s everyone’s view on the PRS silver sky’s? I kinda want one

My brother bought one 6 weeks or so ago and it’s become his favorite out of 31 high end guitars.  I have not visited him to play it, so all I can say is he would fight you to the death over it.

47 minutes ago, Goredho said:

My brother bought one 6 weeks or so ago and it’s become his favorite out of 31 high end guitars.  I have not visited him to play it, so all I can say is he would fight you to the death over it.

Was eyeing the midnight rose one. Drowl gif

• Like 2

3 things you don't mention on this thread....PRS, Mayer, or Bonamassa...not necessarily in that order. 
I like Joe Bonamassa, have owned PRS Guitars & love my Dallas Hand-wired, but agree on Mayer even though that goofy fucker can play. 

You are missing the point.

The SS is a complete and total rip off of one of the most iconic consumer products this country has ever seen. That it even exists really calls into question the moral character of PRS and JM to me, and I have nothing otherwise against them.

I’m on record as not understanding the hate. Companies have been making Strat copies forever but for some reason Mayer and PRS get killed for it. Mayer said he wanted to work directly with a guitar builder to make a guitar that has all the stuff he likes about vintage Strats and none of the stuff he doesn’t, and Paul did that for him. And the quality is very consistent so every one you get will be a “good one”, which isn’t the case with all guitars (notably Les Pauls).

Every review I’ve watched on YouTube had been glowing. I need to get over to Righteous and try one but I’m afraid I’ll buy it.

Here’s the video where he lays it all out. There’s some damn good playing too.

• Like 1

I’m on record as not understanding the hate. Companies have been making Strat copies forever but for some reason Mayer and PRS get killed for it. Mayer said he wanted to work directly with a guitar builder to make a guitar that has all the stuff he likes about vintage Strats and none of the stuff he doesn’t, and Paul did that for him. And the quality is very consistent so every one you get will be a “good one”, which isn’t the case with all guitars (notably Les Pauls).

Every review I’ve watched on YouTube had been glowing. I need to get over to Righteous and try one but I’m afraid I’ll buy it.

Here’s the video where he lays it all out. There’s some damn good playing too.

Well they have been making Les Pauls since 1952, so a few ups and downs here and there are to be expected...

Suhr, Anderson, Charvel, on and on have done Strat knockoffs and super Strats for years. No one dogs them much because they never claimed much else.

It was the hype that did the SS in. PRS was all “We’re totally going to blow your minds with that amazing new thing PRS and Mayer have come up with! Prepare for the second coming!”

And it was a Strat. Maybe PRS’s take on the Strat, but a Strat nonetheless and honestly, they messed it up a bit by trying to PRS it. The Strat is an icon of mid century design. Tweek the bridge here, wind a pup differently there, you’re ok. But PRS played with the proportions etc. I’m sure it’s a fine playing well crafted instrument. It’s just a Strat that’s lesser for the effort to my eyes.

• Like 3

Who else makes a copy of a strat that looks EXACTLY like a strat?

Have you tried one? It’s not exactly the same (see Chad’s post). They fiddled with the dimensions. Look at the lower cutaway.

I’m still not down with the SS.

Which is obviously totally fine. I will likely never spend the money to get a really great example of a vintage Strat. The consistency of the SS is appealing to me. If it sounds like a Strat and plays like my PRS Custom 24 then I’m intrigued.

I admit I don’t care for the headstock.

Suhr, Anderson, Charvel, on and on have done Strat knockoffs and super Strats for years. No one dogs them much because they never claimed much else.

It was the hype that did the SS in. PRS was all “We’re totally going to blow your minds with that amazing new thing PRS and Mayer have come up with! Prepare for the second coming!”

And it was a Strat. Maybe PRS’s take on the Strat, but a Strat nonetheless and honestly, they messed it up a bit by trying to PRS it. The Strat is an icon of mid century design. Tweek the bridge here, wind a pup differently there, you’re ok. But PRS played with the proportions etc. I’m sure it’s a fine playing well crafted instrument. It’s just a Strat that’s lesser for the effort to my eyes.

I must have (thankfully) missed all the hyperbole. When I went and met PRS right before they came out he wouldn’t say much except that they were working on a SSS guitar. Paul can definitely be insufferable so I’m not surprised if he went overboard. All I’ve seen is the Mayer vids and online reviews.

Heart transplant on the V was a huge success. Replaced the screaming hot lead pickups that were in it with a pair of TV Jones Classics.

The recorded before and after from my phone doesnt nearly catch the improvement. The stock pickups were bright and punchy, but no midrange or bottom end. Great leads, but I couldnt get nearly full rhythm sound I need for our music. Now its fat and sounds like, well, a Gretsch.

Took a picture of how much thicker the TVJs are below. 5c04b214f06c1f5775f2548328cd1d76.jpg858af7c6f7193dec9a99f1b7e10990d5.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Since I know none of you will talk me down, which bass? The fiesta red road worn, or the seafoam green Vintera?

20200210_181400.jpg

20200210_181342.jpg

If you are open to other options you can get a US made G&L Fullerton Standard for close to that price. You only have 2 color options, but I picked up one like this in white for $950. However, I would avoid the linked seller. Horrible reviews. 

https://reverb.com/item/29289180-g-l-fullerton-standard-lb-100-electric-bass-vintage-white

https://reverb.com/item/26474032-g-l-fullerton-standard-lb-100-electric-bass-emerald-blue

It sounds fantastic and plays like a dream. Was my favorite bass until the Yamaha BBP34 arrived. 

However, between those 2, Seafoam but I would probably change the pick guard color.

Edited by topochico