The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

So, own one guitar per song? I am comfortable with this plan. 

I’d be all for it if I have a guy dialing them in and handing them to me one by one.

Tom Petty seemed to have this system down pretty good.

That said, I enjoy that I can play every song our band plays with my HSS strat, one pedal, and a volume knob. The less I have to think about the better.

If you play any open tuning regularly, it's just easier to have a dedicated guitar for that tuning. Particularly for an Open G tuning. It's easier without the low E string, so it's not like just re-tuning. I keep a Tele in 5-string Open G at all times. 

35 minutes ago, Deej said:

If you play any open tuning regularly, it's just easier to have a dedicated guitar for that tuning. Particularly for an Open G tuning. It's easier without the low E string, so it's not like just re-tuning. I keep a Tele in 5-string Open G at all times. 

I see what you did there...micawber.gif....it's settled then, tele acquisition necessary

• Like 2

Low. Fat one. Top string. not necessary and actually lets you attack that 5th string harder. 
The Kieth Richard's special!

In his book he says he got irritated when he found somebody else doing it. "Hey, that's MY thing!"

I should do it to one. What's the point of all these guitars if they're all in standard tunings?

I use the fuck out of that 2 chords in one move Kieth talks about there (with Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, and Honky Tonk Women as examples). Malcolm Young uses it a hell of a lot in the earlier AC/DC albums (Rock and Roll Damnation, Up to my Neck in You, etc), but in a standard tuning. I know a couple Thin Lizzy Tracks that use it too, their Rosalie version is almost exclusively that move.

It's just an effortless way to move the V chord on out of the I chord. There is so much Rock and Roll still yet undiscovered in that well. I go to it all the time for but riff ideas and fill/flavor ideas. Like Malcom, I use it out of standard tuning and just play the 2nd through 4th strings.

Changing the subject. Help me with changing strings.

I've been changing strings for 35 years now and I still cant consistently get the 3 wraps around the two heavy posts as I was taught you should early on. I either have too much string and I get more than 3 and the sting piles up at the headstock plate, or I get 2, 2 1/2.

It's even harder on the LP because it has vintage correct shorter posts.

About 20 years ago I learned to get the 1st wrap above the stub that gets trimmed, both locking the string in place and giving you additional space for the wraps under it.

Anybody master this and have any tips? Here's my process while stringing the Martin yesterday, which is what got me to thinking about thus. Not a bad attempt, I got 3 on the A and 2 1/2 on the E.3c876b1a445b91f38af95df0ca85af75.jpg03999edf15e11343fa96289426f44103.jpg6a3aa2e8359e63b85a8cf89bd99874c1.jpga2a30651974b917247cee4ca30c7b96e.jpg

I’ve been using Taylor’s guide for restringing acoustics with good results. They recommend 2-3 wraps on the bass strings and 5-6 wraps for the treble strings. For the low E, A and D, cut the string one post length past the tuning key. For the G, B and high E, cut the string at one and a half post lengths past the tuner. 

https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/strings/changing-steel-strings

I’ve been using Taylor’s guide for restringing acoustics with good results. They recommend 2-3 wraps on the bass strings and 5-6 wraps for the treble strings. For the low E, A and D, cut the string one post length past the tuning key. For the G, B and high E, cut the string at one and a half post lengths past the tuner. 
https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/strings/changing-steel-strings

Why does it matter?
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I always use a winder.  Most of the time I get too zealous, it slips off, I knock my hand on something sharp and curse my damn luck.

At the risk of sounding like a stupid newb, how much string-changing value are you getting out of a winder.  I've never used one and don't know what I may be missing.

I'm really, really digging my ES-330 right now, which is my first hollow-body guitar.  I've been recording a new song using it exclusively and it has very rich and complex tonality.  Individual notes are more interesting than with my solid body LP.  It may be becoming my favorite of the two, and I *love* the LP.  Others here have a similar experience?

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

At the risk of sounding like a stupid newb, how much string-changing value are you getting out of a winder.  I've never used one and don't know what I may be missing.

It's just easier on your hands, and quicker.  You can wind a string up 2-3 full turns in a few seconds.

• Like 1