The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

3 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

So the relic custom shop strat my local GC has may soon be shipped to a different GC as soon as tomorrow. I just don’t have the 3k to buy it right now:(

Save the cash.  Guitars are like women.  There'll be another come around shortly that'll make you forget all about that last one.

• Like 5

On 2/26/2020 at 5:13 PM, Bogeywon said:

So the relic custom shop strat my local GC has may soon be shipped to a different GC as soon as tomorrow. I just don’t have the 3k to buy it right now:(

That's only $62.50 per month on your guitar center cc. 

Some will say don't finance toys.  I say if you have a steady job, life is short.  Zero % interest is free money.  And a guitar that feels perfect in your hand can be a rare thing. 

Edited by dcbc

On 2/26/2020 at 3:24 PM, Goredho said:

Something about the hollow body with P90s produces really complex tonality within an individual note that just cries out. 

Just wanted to give this sentiment an "Amen!" 

I think those guitars through Vox-styled amps break up in a way that's sublime.    

• Like 1

I have some Gibson guitar polish I’ve had since forever. Works well when I use it which is pretty much never.

Also I mailed my 2003 810CE back to Taylor a few weeks ago to get the pickup system upgraded to the latest expression 2 system. The original expression 1 sucked. Tried a K&K but don’t like it either. Taylor will upgrade for $300 (pretty substantial mod) and set everything back to factory specs. Buddy of mine brought a new 714CE over. Played through my rig and it sounded glorious. Hoping mine sounds like that when I get it back. Fantastic guitar but has always sound like ass plugged in.

14 hours ago, dcbc said:

That's only $62.50 per month on your guitar center cc. 

Some will say don't finance toys.  I say if you have a steady job, life is short.  Zero % interest is free money.  And a guitar that feels perfect in your hand can be a rare thing. 

I know! But my rule is if I don’t have cash I don’t buy it. I have zero debt besides my house and car payment 

• Like 2

Tangential, but I love how we as a society have gotten so used to saying "I have zero debt besides..."  I do it, too.  And when we do it, we're positioning ourselves as the conscientious ones vs the debt-ridden masses.

That said, only $62.50 a month?  Still got a link to the guitar?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

I know! But my rule is if I don’t have cash I don’t buy it. I have zero debt besides my house and car payment 

Do what works for you, of course.

My couple of consumer product, no interest loans amount to less than the price of eating out with the wife with a cheap bottle of wine.  Paid the house off last year (humble brag). 

If coronavirus gets me, GC may take my 64 AV tele back, but I got to enjoy it for a couple of years for less than I spend on coffee each month.  Not the worst thing.

Obligatory repost:

sv-SDn-Al-T95-OBWYo-Vli-R3-YAfwp-K5-Jc-J

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Nice!

Very nice!

I feel like it's new gear day today.  Got the 52 AV telecaster back from the music store dude, who put the Custom Shop '51 Nocaster pickups in it.  Sounds like what I always wanted it to sound like.  So the backstory is that it's a 2016 Wildwood Thin Skin 52 American Vintage telecaster.  I got this one because I wanted the 9.5" radius fretboard.  It's a beauty, although the skin is thinner on the back and the nitro on the neck can get sticky (took a bit of sandpaper and guitar polish to it early on). 

But the thing that I found pretty curious was the fact that these guitars were spec'd with Custom shop twisted tele pickups.  They're nice, but they always seemed not right for the guitar and not very tele like at all.  The bridge pickup was really hot and the neck pickup was very strat like.  Just not what I wanted.  That 64 AV I posted above is a twangy/chimey tele if I ever have heard one. 

Well, the Nocaster pickups were just the ticket.  The bridge pickup is a little tamer, but still has a good deal of 50s bite to it (more mid than chime).  The neck pickup is way mellower than the twisted tele, but still sings, especially if I play directly over it.  Very well balanced and I finally feel like I have the guitar I was after when I bought the 52. 

Now, I just need to take some Finesse it Car polish to the neck and board to get them moving a bit better. 

This is why I sometimes hesitate to get a new guitar.  I know the solution is to let this thing live outside the case for a while so the nitro can do whatever curing it has left to do.  But it's so dad-gummed pretty (and kids, dogs, etc).

Obligatory repost of the day I got it in late 2017.

8pmp0-Ci-S2l1w-U-Zylq-Jjz-T-ew-BBto-CW6-

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 9