The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 4/11/2020 at 6:55 PM, DougO said:

I nearly bought a Surf green Squier bullet Strat for $20 today, but passed. I must have some kind of virus.

Frets were pretty worn down, though.

I've been eyeing these things as well.

I have been looking for low-priced guitars of EVERY KIND recently and I really just need to practice and learn to play the (now 4... or 5?) that I have purchased in the last 3 weeks.

This Squier Strat II (made in Korea) located in Huntsville has been distracting me as well. I was thinking that I would just drive down and pick it up rather than have it shipped. It's gone from ~$60 to $108 in the last several hours as tomorrow's deadline draws near.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stratocaster-Squier-Electric-Guitar-MIK/124144739022

Was reading up on the Squier II's made in Korea and they're supposedly really solid.

• Like 1

Music Man did this on a few models this year. Looks like Fender and G&L are following this plan too. If you are considering any Ash guitar or bass, now may be the time. Beyond some great looking instruments, I hate that we are losing so many trees to this invasive beetle.
90e2eba57687d186430afdc44ee7e719.jpg
35f3641cf339a7fd4705cdb720bb22dd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, topochico said:

Music Man did this on a few models this year. Looks like Fender and G&L are following this plan too. If you are considering any Ash guitar or bass, now may be the time. Beyond some great looking instruments, I hate that we are losing so many trees to this invasive beetle.

Ash is becoming scarce.

Coronavirash.

Edited by Deej

Probably the worst time to think about selling gear, but I have come to the conclusion that I prefer bass and just don't play guitar enough to justify keeping them around.  Once things open back up, I plan to head to GC and see how much they will lowball me on a few guitars. Has anyone have any experience selling on Reverb? Face to face is always easiest, but I have given up on Craigslist being useful for anything but scams and possibly being murdered during a meet up. 

2 minutes ago, topochico said:

Probably the worst time to think about selling gear, but I have come to the conclusion that I prefer bass and just don't play guitar enough to justify keeping them around.  Once things open back up, I plan to head to GC and see how much they will lowball me on a few guitars. Has anyone have any experience selling on Reverb? Face to face is always easiest, but I have given up on Craigslist being useful for anything but scams and possibly being murdered during a meet up. 

I've bought one and sold one guitar on reverb without issue.  You definitely will make more than what GC will offer, which seems to be about 40-50% of value.  The downside is that you have to wait for a buyer and dick with packaging and shipping.

Why don't you post what you have for sale here?  May be a win-win waiting to happen with a set of remote buyers you can probably trust.

I’ve bought and sold a fair amount on Reverb. Bought more than sold. I like it.

I’ve also bought and sold stuff on Craigslist recently as well. On CL I make people prove they can have a coherent conversation on the phone before they come to my house. Never had a problem. Weird reply’s I just don’t respond to.

58 minutes ago, topochico said:

No offers here?  Did we offend you?

I've bought on Reverb.  I have a friend who buys and sells on Reverb all the time.  He's actually made cottage industry of it.

Here are a couple of quick shots. If anyone is interested, PM me. I haven’t even looked at pricing, but there will obviously be a Surly price. We can figure something out. I’m in DFW if anyone is local and CV-19 free who wants to stop by.

2012 PRS Stripped SC58 in Amber Black 57/08 pickups.

2012 American Std. Strat CS Fat 50’s. Oly White.
db35cdf9565b246286e7f505b46a8e41.jpg

3716eb3f577983054eeac01720827143.jpg
ebd555e0ae85b94a2af1a25ee6f24f45.jpg
49843511efe8b75af00b2fa174dcbe28.jpg

Edited by topochico
  • Like 5

I’ve never sold anything to GC, but I picture it being even worse than the most frustrating episode of Pawn Stars. 

GC - “This guitar is worth $900.   We’ll give you $100.”

customer - “How about $200?”

GC -  “No.”

customer - “Okay.  I’ll take $100.”

me to television - “nooooooooooo!!!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Does $900 and what ever it actually costs to ship sound reasonable? I have all of the unused case paperwork, Fender strap and amp cable, case keys, trem etc.

It came with a white PG, the mint is a official Fender (if I recall correctly) replacement. I still have the white one I will send with it. It also has added Fender locking tuners replacing the non-locking. I don't have the original non-locking anymore. PM me and I can get some more details to you along with more pics. I'll look it over again, but I really don't think there are any chips dings or dents. The plan was for me to use it and then pass it along to my son once he was ready for something better than his LTD Viper. He moved on to drums and is not interested. 

22 hours ago, topochico said:

It's a shame the beetles don't prefer pau ferro instead, so we could have real rosewood and make fretboards great again..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Does $900 and what ever it actually costs to ship sound reasonable? I have all of the unused case paperwork, Fender strap and amp cable, case keys, trem etc.

It came with a white PG, the mint is a official Fender (if I recall correctly) replacement. I still have the white one I will send with it. It also has added Fender locking tuners replacing the non-locking. I don't have the original non-locking anymore. PM me and I can get some more details to you along with more pics. I'll look it over again, but I really don't think there are any chips dings or dents. The plan was for me to use it and then pass it along to my son once he was ready for something better than his LTD Viper. He moved on to drums and is not interested. 

I just checked GC, I'm WAY overpriced on the Strat. $725 and whatever actual shipping costs?  Feel free to lowball away. 

If you Austin folks will hand sanitize and not breathe on me, I could be talked into meeting half way between DFW and Austin. Not my intent to make this into a sales forum, but I would honestly consider any reasonable offer. If I can get them out of my closet and to someone here, that would be pretty awesome. Now back to the normal scheduled pron. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, topochico said:

If you Austin folks will hand sanitize and not breathe on me, I could be talked into meeting half way between DFW and Austin. Not my intent to make this into a sales forum, but I would honestly consider any reasonable offer. If I can get them out of my closet and to someone here, that would be pretty awesome. Now back to the normal scheduled pron. 

For the record, this is pretty much a mini sales forum amongst the regular posters.  For pete's sake, AUTF went into limited production on TOS.  No worries there.  Plus, more guitpron.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 9:43 PM, topochico said:

back in the '70s we had humans doing the work of boring holes into the ash

I purchased a Taylor last spring.  I posted in this thread quite a few times before and after.  I was getting along pretty good and then I started having nerve issues in my right arm.  Like crippling pain issues.  I had to put down the guitar.  I just couldn't handle the pain plus I had to because being able to do my work was far more important.

Fast forward to this January and I had not one but two surgical procedures done on my right arm on the same day.  One was for carpal tunnel and the other was for ulnar nerve entrapment.  Three months later I'm pain free and I've picked up the guitar again.  At first it felt like I'd never held a guitar but in a couple of days my chords are about as clean as they were before I had to put it down.

Just wanted to post this.  I'm happy to be back with it in my hands.  If any of you have tips for a rookie please feel free.  I'm an open book.  I'm doing mostly Justin Guitar right now but once COVID-19 is done with I plan to begin weekly lessons.  Thanks for reading.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

If any of you have tips for a rookie please feel free. 

since you're post-surgery, be careful with your hands-- warm up before playing, stretch after

but try to play every single day-- when I was trying to learn how to play, I played for an hour every day. it wasn't good focused practice per se, but even farting around is great for a beginner

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's the spirit!

3 hours ago, topochico said:

No. No, you don't.

2 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

That strat, just sayin....

I want the custom shop strat at GC I posted earlier. $2700 OTD. So I’m saving pennies in my piggy bank for it. 

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

I want the custom shop strat at GC I posted earlier. $2700 OTD. So I’m saving pennies in my piggy bank for it. 

I remember that one. It was outstanding. You should totally pass on mine and get that one. 

Craigslist, once again, does not disappoint. I have politely ignored or passed on several "solid" offers of $500. Lots of ridiculous trade offers. Multiple phishing expeditions... I was briefly tempted by a pristine Music Man Caprice, but I did a thing and it arrives tomorrow, so sales only for now. 

• Like 1