The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I remember that one. It was outstanding. You should totally pass on mine and get that one. 

Craigslist, once again, does not disappoint. I have politely ignored or passed on several "solid" offers of $500. Lots of ridiculous trade offers. Multiple phishing expeditions... I was briefly tempted by a pristine Music Man Caprice, but I did a thing and it arrives tomorrow, so sales only for now. 

A “thing” arrives tomorrow huh? I hope there are pics.

Also - what was the bass site you were taking lessons on? I may want to check that out.

https://scottsbasslessons.com

There are a lot of emails from his site which can clutter your inbox with training accelerator “offers” and whatnot, but I am still enjoying the courses and seminars. They are well organized and the pace works for me. YMMV. 

There will be pics. Project sparkle bass is now on permahold though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, topochico said:

https://scottsbasslessons.com

There are a lot of emails from his site which can clutter your inbox with training accelerator “offers” and whatnot, but I am still enjoying the courses and seminars. They are well organized and the pace works for me. YMMV. 

There will be pics. Project sparkle bass is now on permahold though. 

200.gif?cid=ecf05e477ce46fa58a36349bf103

• Like 2

17 hours ago, topochico said:

I remember that one. It was outstanding. You should totally pass on mine and get that one. 

Craigslist, once again, does not disappoint. I have politely ignored or passed on several "solid" offers of $500. Lots of ridiculous trade offers. Multiple phishing expeditions... I was briefly tempted by a pristine Music Man Caprice, but I did a thing and it arrives tomorrow, so sales only for now. 

You should check out some of the great offers I've gotten on that 335. 

For example:

Hello my name is Michael and I hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and taking care. I came across your ad on CL and I wanted to see if you are interested in a barter/trade project for your guitar. I’m doing some great discounts and creative deals during the Coronavirus challenge we are all dealing with. I do trades on items often. If you have a wish list of projects you would like to have done on your property I would love to come out and FROM A SAFE DISTANCE OR BY EMAIL :) give you some ideas for great improvements to your property that would easily exceed your asking price of your sale item. I would complete the work before we do the trade. I do high end design/build custom exterior projects such as outdoor kitchens, patios, pergolas, installations, lighting, decks, fencing, ponds and fountains, irrigation, concrete and steel planters, and tons more. My projects typically range from $5K to $50K. We could discuss a straight trade or apply your item towards a larger project. I do this type of trade all the time. You can see my work at www.instagram.com/tarrytowndesign/ and my direct email is tarrytowndesign@yahoo.com  Feel free to email me directly or text me at 512. 808. 8750. I was born and raised here in Austin so I’ve seen a lot of changes in this little town and I am certain we are all going to get through this thing together. Thank you very much ~ Michael

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've had this D18 a little over a week now. I didn't think it was possible to have a guitar that sounds as good as my 000-28. Yesterday, I was playing a song on the 000 that I had been playing on the D18 that morning and just couldn't get an Em to sound big enough. I picked up the dreadnought and there it was. Man that guitar sounds good.

Maybe it's just the Martin "Retro" strings that are currently on it because they were the only thing i had on hand a few weeks ago. Ordered a few different strings to try this morning. Martin and Pierce made.

I do prefer the neck on the 000 by a touch. I think its gonna go into open D tuning so I can start working on that.

They are very similar sounding. The small one a little more woody and the big one a little brighter, and louder of course. Both with that rich, resonant Martin tone. In wondering how Martin seems to own that tone. You'de think there would be cheap, Asia produced copies out there.

Sadly my Hummingbird just sits in its case these days. It's an incredible guitar, it just doesnt do anything the Martin's can't.

50a558b595f19df6a084f989ca8652bb.jpg

• Like 8

I just dropped $3K on an unbudgeted expense or I’d be offering you $2K for the pair. Love those guitars.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

Monday Marcus noodling little finger envy....

I saw him at that show and had never heard him before.  Pretty sure there's some post here with me saying, "You gotta go see this guy!"  He was on Chris Schiflett's "Walking the Floor" podcast recently.  He's a pretty insightful young fella.  Tells a story about how they wanted to kick him out of school because he dressed funny and had long hair, and basically didn't give a fuck about any class except jazz theory.  Good listen.  

Tele has been out for a year. Strat just came out.

I’m very intrigued by the tele. I like it. Could be cool for acoustic gigs. Not ready to gamble 2 grand on it though.

On a related note got the 810 back from the Taylor Factory this weekend. Oh mama.

• Like 2

Barn find? Hurricane Harvey guitar? Spanish galleon recovery? 

Had one year of pretty heavy touring, including Warped Tour.  And I guess it got put away wet, and then I kinda went off the deep end for a while (and played only acoustic for a long time as well) and when I opened the case back up it was fucked. Has been for a long time, I’m really excited about getting it back.

aaef9c72704945fd7e7381173e559cb6.jpg
  • Like 8

Re:  acoustasonic

Two grand for that is insane, IMO.  

You could get an actual timeless classic guitar...  a vintage Gretsch, a 000 Martin, an old dreadnaught, etc. 

I paid roughly that for a used telecaster from the first year or two of the Fender custom shop.  

Those things will age like a sonic mullet. 

Edited by Paul Wesley

Had one year of pretty heavy touring, including Warped Tour.  And I guess it got put away wet, and then I kinda went off the deep end for a while (and played only acoustic for a long time as well) and when I opened the case back up it was fucked. Has been for a long time, I’m really excited about getting it back.

I'm glad I got to see you guys play when you came through.
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Full bend face alert

28 minutes ago, Deej said:

Plenty of guys use rattle-can nitro.

https://www.reranch.com/

Looks like "Daphne Blue" might be close.  Do I have to strip the old paint?  Just prime over existing paint?  Go buy a new body from Warmoth?  (Don't answer that last question.  This particular body is a cheapie and I'm willing to experiment.)

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like "Daphne Blue" might be close.  Do I have to strip the old paint?  Just prime over existing paint?  Go buy a new body from Warmoth?  (Don't answer that last question.  This particular body is a cheapie and I'm willing to experiment.)

I think you will need to strip the old paint. I would head over to someplace like TDPRI and peruse the do-it-yourself forums. Plenty of threads there that can walk you through it, or start one and guys will help you out. 

17 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Think about it this way.  That's your forever player guitar.  It's never going to be mint, so you can do whatever the fuck you want with it with no worries.  Like Glimour's black strat. 

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

I think you will need to strip the old paint. I would head over to someplace like TDPRI and peruse the do-it-yourself forums. Plenty of threads there that can walk you through it, or start one and guys will help you out. 

This.  Paint on paint doesn't usually go over well, especially if you don't know the type of paint is on the original.  That said, that's how Fender did a lot of its' custom colors back in the day.  "He wants one in Fiesta Red?  Grab me that sunburst over there...:

I realize those forums are where I need to be . . . but how the hell would I strip a clean stripe and then lay down a perfect replacement color on the fresh wood?

My laziness is going to get in the way of me doing this "right".  I may just go for it.  It's a total garbage body from Guitar Fetish or some such.  I do kinda like the way the thing feeds back, though.  It's really light.

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I realize those forums are where I need to be . . . but how the hell would I strip a clean stripe and then lay down a perfect replacement color on the fresh wood?

My laziness is going to get in the way of me doing this "right".  I may just go for it.  It's a total garbage body from Guitar Fetish or some such.  I do kinda like the way the thing feeds back, though.  It's really light.

All the answers you need are over on that forum. Don't buy one of those trash bodies.