The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Thanks! Nope from michigan... like 25 mins from the city. Loved RATM deftones limp bizkit ( not proud of that one but wes the original guitarist was good). No joke we put 1100 people at a venue once also played local bar to crowd of minimum 100 people every show for like 3 years. What a blast

• Like 4

That’s awesome Bogeywon. Wish I’d done the same in my youth.

I’ve decided to have a better attitude about the Fireflies. They do sound good. I’m going to learn what it takes to get rid of all the setup issues and get them into the best playable condition I can. Because Surly Guitar Pron thread aren’t quitters, and we don’t get rid of guitars!

Also I missed the return window.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

That’s awesome Bogeywon. Wish I’d done the same in my youth.

I’ve decided to have a better attitude about the Fireflies. They do sound good. I’m going to learn what it takes to get rid of all the setup issues and get them into the best playable condition I can. Because Surly Guitar Pron thread aren’t quitters, and we don’t get rid of guitars!

Also I missed the return window.

Cheap guitars are traditionally the best slide guitars. Now that may have been by necessity, considering all the best blues players from back in the day weren’t exactly flush with cash for fancy models. Harmony, Kay, Danelectro, etc. made the cool sounds and there’s a reason why Jimmy Page, Jack White and Dan Auerbach sought pawn shop guitars out decades later. I never saw a pic of Elmore James with a high end Fender or Gibson. Perhaps the Firefly is in that tradition? Just an observation. Your mileage may vary.

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Cheap guitars are traditionally the best slide guitars. Now that may have been by necessity, considering all the best blues players from back in the day weren’t exactly flush with cash for fancy models. Harmony, Kay, Danelectro, etc. made the cool sounds and there’s a reason why Jimmy Page, Jack White and Dan Auerbach sought pawn shop guitars out decades later. I never saw a pic of Elmore James with a high end Fender or Gibson. Perhaps the Firefly is in that tradition? Just an observation. Your mileage may vary.

My quick search has photos of James playing an Epiphone? Interesting topic actually.

My quick search has photos of James playing an Epiphone? Interesting topic actually.

I’ve seen a promo pic with a Silvertone electric, but I think he was more frequently photographed in action with a Kay acoustic with a DeArmond pickup. But I’m happily shown otherwise.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

53 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Having 2 Fireflys that I play, a “Bridgecraft” Strat that I got for ~$25, and a Squier Mustang which all have much large fretboard radii (radiuses?) than 12”, I will say that it’s because cheap guitars basically have flat fretboards. 

Flat Fretboards = Good Slide Guitars

i got an Orangewood “Dana” travel acoustic yesterday (pics to come) that has far-and-away the shortest fretboard radius of any guitar I own. I now understand how much easier it is to strum the F chord that uses the B through A strings, while avoiding the E strings if you have a fretboard with a slightly noticeable curve. 

NON GLAMOUR SHOT of CHEAP GUITARS:

4-C55389-F-5133-4826-90-A9-EA60-C31-EF1-

Glamour shots of Dana on the right to come.

Bridgecraft Strat radius is at least 15” if not 16”+. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Did someone say Kay?

Here’s an early 60’s Truetone Jazz King, which is a Kay Speed Demon with a different label. Picked it up a couple weeks ago. Action is kinda high, but not as bad as some I’ve seen. Needs some work on the neck and bridge to get it playing well, but probably does slide well. Gonna try that. I think I have a slide around here somewhere.

(Excuse the mess. I had to throw a buncha gear in the back room cuz I had a guy doing some work in the house.)

AF458328-FECE-4-D03-8209-98-DC74638-FF1.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Slide guitar? I think these Teisco contraptions played by Hound Dog Taylor are cool as fuck.
2a6eff553091e4afe6d4cffc56881c5e.jpg

Those crazy 60s-70s space-age Teisco guitar designs are awesome. I have wanted one for a long time.

As I mentioned, I got a Orangewood's Dana Mahogany (travel guitar) delivered yesterday. I used Darrell Brown's 10% discount code (DARRELLSFRIENDS10... I think) rather than some British chick's and so it was $112.50 rather than $125... then there was tax. 

The DANA is the laminate top (as well as sides & back) vs the "Oliver Jr Mahogany" at $195 (back in stock in mid-June) that is the solid mahogany top version. Slightly different specs, but minimal difference. The Oliver Jr LIVE is $275 and has a built-in tuner, a pickup, sound controls... blah-blah-blah. (Look on the page for more info.)

Apparently the Dana Mahogany is SOLD OUT again after being in stock less than a week. The guitar also came with a padded "ORANGEWOOD" gig bag. Nice touch. Truss rod wasn't engaged at all when it arrived and the neck looked fucked up the last ~3 frets. Orangewood is known for having electric guitar-level action, and it does.

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/playa-collection/products/dana-mahogany-mini-guitar

Now some pics.

Rogue Dreadnought next to Li'l Dana: (bad lighting on this one)
Dana-1-next-to-Rogue.jpg

Front of Headstock:
Dana-2-front-head-stock.jpg

Back of headstock: (I hadn't taken off the round stickers on the tuners)
Dana-3-back-of-headstock.jpg

Right side (downward side) of body: (You can see an optional guitar strap plug-thingy)
...w/Binding Pr0n
Dana-4-side-front-with-strap-peg.jpg

Closeup of the back of the neck joint: (different cuts of wood/more binding pr0n)
Dana-5-neck-close-up.jpg

Wide shot of back of the guitar:
Dana-6-back-side-wood.jpg

Side grain of the laminate:
Dana-7-side-grain.jpg

Peek into her hole:
Dana-8-sticker-inside.jpg

So there are the glamour shots of Dana's top, bottom, front, back, curves and her hole.

The fretboard is very similar to my electrics, but it's radius is shorter (10.5"?) than any other guitar that I have. The scale length is good practice for Mustangs & Jaquars, which are 24 inches, but the thing resonates like a champ. (Did I mention that above?) Very impressed with the sound, if you want sound. Great for road trips, back yard plucking, beach or mountain trips. I'm 5'9" with slim-ish fingers, but it might be too narrow of a fretboard for those with normal-to-fat fingers.

My measurements:
nut - 44mm
1st Fret: strings are 36mm across
2nd Fret: strings are 37mm across
3rd Fret: strings are 38mm across
4th Fret: strings are 39mm across

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I’ve seen a promo pic with a Silvertone electric, but I think he was more frequently photographed in action with a Kay acoustic with a DeArmond pickup. But I’m happily shown otherwise.

There is a photograph of him playing a Epiphone Broadway floating around. I found it at Equipboard. That said I have no idea what the man played, but I am interested.

• Like 1

Pickup pr0n.  I've been wanting to record some more acoustic stuff for awhile, and all I have in that regard is a low-end Takamine G300 without electronics.  After some research, I settled on a Dimarzio Black Angel that could drop right in.

unnamed.jpg

I am pretty happy with the results.  Here's a song I recorded over the weekend using this setup through the previously described Helix LT (crossposted from the composition thread).  I think it sounds pretty damn good considering it took 5 minutes to install with just a screw driver.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

It’s Tuesday, so here’s a Tele for ya.

Fender JA-90 Jim Adkins model. It has a semi-hollow ash body with Seymour Duncan P-90s. But it has a set neck with 24.75” scale length and stop tailpiece like a Gibson.

CADAF87-A-D2-AC-4-F79-B10-A-9-DBCEA81377

Love the hot rod red and black and scale length.  Got any tone demos to post?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Goredho said:

Love the hot rod red and black and scale length.  Got any tone demos to post?

I haven’t recorded anything with it. I got it a couple days ago so I just now got around to cleaning it up and restringing it.

I’m used to the shorter scale length because I’ve played an SG Jr and an Epi Riviera for years. But both of those guitars feel like they have longer necks because the neck meets the body at around the 20th fret. On this Tele, the neck meets the body at around the 16th fret. That combined with the shorter scale makes it feel kinda condensed overall compared to my other guitars, including my regular Tele. My left hand just feels like it’s closer to my body when I play this guitar. I’ve never been a Les Paul guy, but I’m guessing it’s a similar feel?   

Here’s a YouTube clip with some nice clean tones. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

I haven’t recorded anything with it. I got it a couple days ago so I just now got around to cleaning it up and restringing it.

I’m used to the shorter scale length because I’ve played an SG Jr and an Epi Riviera for years. But both of those guitars feel like they have longer necks because the neck meets the body at around the 20th fret. On this Tele, the neck meets the body at around the 16th fret. That combined with the shorter scale makes it feel kinda condensed overall compared to my other guitars, including my regular Tele. My left hand just feels like it’s closer to my body when I play this guitar. I’ve never been a Les Paul guy, but I’m guessing it’s a similar feel?   

Here’s a YouTube clip with some nice clean tones. 

Cool, thanks.  I am coming to the conclusion that the longer scale length may not be for me, and that I may need a 24.75" conversion neck to have a fender single coil in the arsenal that gets played.

27 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Foggy, is that a glued set neck or neck through body? Our singer has one very similar or exactly like that. His is neck through body. He loves it. I believe it's made in Japan.

This one is glued. You can see the seam in the pic below. I believe some of the early JA-90s were made with mahogany necks. This one looks like maple which is more common on these.

And yeah, this is one of the few Fender’s being made in Indonesia. At the Cort factory I think. The pickup selector switch feels kinda cheap, but otherwise the guitar feels fairly well made.

7-DE3277-E-3253-4734-989-E-540-EEF0-F712

17 hours ago, Deej said:

That's what a Les Paul is for. 

1680553Led-Zeppelin-Jimmy-Page-_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

16 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

The Les Paul outweighs Page by a couple pounds. Nice Telecaster jacket tho...

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Heroin is a helluva drug.

I was going to guess coke, but don't have experience with either. (At least not in my system. I've been around plenty of people I later realized liked the Bolivian marching powder quite a bit.)

When skinny Robert Plant is the beefier of the duo, you know that you're not in the 21st Century of Obesity.

Since passing up the PRS zebrawood deal, I pulled out my old 2006 SE single-cut. Gibson style three-way switch and only single volume and tone knobs, the way they made them back then. Compared to my Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I got in a steal of a deal last year, the PRS just destroys it in every way. Unlike the Epi, this guitar stays in tune through lots of bending. It has a resonance through the wood and sturdy neck that I love, similar to the Gibson faded SG (which also has problems staying in tune). It's just a great basic design and looks really nice with a decent maple top, a decent chunk rather than a thin veneer.

The Epiphone Les Paul also has a weird flat neck profile that I can play with (since nothing really changes my shitty playing much anyway) but is just weird. Its beautiful but its stock has dropped since I kept it out as my main goofing around guitar near the chair. Maybe I should actually sell it and save up for a next level PRS or something. I really like the idea of having one with the strat style trem and coil taps.

The zebrawood model still has me somewhat intrigued for the price, but I would have to see the one I'm buying first and really dig it. They vary so much in appearance, and I really just having a hard time justifying another guitar buy when I can just go to the stash and pull out something else to play with that has been neglected for a long time.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:07 PM, DougO said:

Since passing up the PRS zebrawood deal, I pulled out my old 2006 SE single-cut. Gibson style three-way switch and only single volume and tone knobs, the way they made them back then. Compared to my Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I got in a steal of a deal last year, the PRS just destroys it in every way. Unlike the Epi, this guitar stays in tune through lots of bending. It has a resonance through the wood and sturdy neck that I love, similar to the Gibson faded SG (which also has problems staying in tune). It's just a great basic design and looks really nice with a decent maple top, a decent chunk rather than a thin veneer.

The Epiphone Les Paul also has a weird flat neck profile that I can play with (since nothing really changes my shitty playing much anyway) but is just weird. Its beautiful but its stock has dropped since I kept it out as my main goofing around guitar near the chair. Maybe I should actually sell it and save up for a next level PRS or something. I really like the idea of having one with the strat style trem and coil taps.

The zebrawood model still has me somewhat intrigued for the price, but I would have to see the one I'm buying first and really dig it. They vary so much in appearance, and I really just having a hard time justifying another guitar buy when I can just go to the stash and pull out something else to play with that has been neglected for a long time.

Buy a next level PRS you won’t regret it. I have a custom 24 with 10 top. It’s my go to. I can play shit like deftones with it or Hendrix. Most versatile guitar out of the 14 I own.  

• Like 1

Buy a next level PRS you won’t regret it. I have a custom 24 with 10 top. It’s my go to. I can play shit like deftones with it or Hendrix. Most versatile guitar out of the 14 I own.  

Counterpoint: I have mixed feelings about mine. I always thought I really wanted one but once I got one...

I mean it’s legit amazing to play but I just don’t love the tone. I also feel like the top looks like furniture and is kinda silly. I really am truly conflicted about it: some days I love it and other days I pick up my HH Strat and think “Why do I still have that thing?”

It’s also the most expensive guitar I own so I feel like I should love it more or trade it for something I do love.

I'm feeling this way about my Hummingbird Buzz. It's a great guitar and I'm lucky to own it, but I do t have the trouble setting it down once I pick it up like I do with my Martin's. I'm thinking about selling it and giving Gibson another go with J200, but may skip that step and go straight to a rosewood backed Martin like a D28; maybe I'll look at the OM's.

Right now my friend has the 000-28 and the D18 is at my girlfriends house, where I've been sleeping most nights during the remodel. So it's just the Hummingbird at home.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Cot dammit. My birthday is Saturday. That sunburst is pretty.

Yes it is.

I would remove the pick guard, but I’m not totally sure that I could get past the screw hole. Same could be said for Blueberry Burst & Transparent Purple.