The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 9/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, tbone_ said:

21e8ee43aef72bb5cd03e9a0c2e12d81.jpg

Just noticed this. Guess I’ve been using that pick on the left for a while. Don’t think I’ve ever kept the same one long enough before for that to happen.

Found this in the back of the Line 6 when I was pulling it out. The color.... looks wrong, and maybe that could be from age or something, but I think this would have to be from before I saw the big tortex turtle light in the sky and was still using those picks. I would say this pick is from when I was gigging with this amp when I was a sophomore in high school, which would make it about 18 years old. I wanna say my pick wear pattern would look significantly different now, this looks fucking rough

image.thumb.png.fe944e374d7efdf030ddc4fbc3fad7d6.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Thanks, I’m not really familiar with that particular squabble as my KISS following days ended about 1st grade, though I do remember when they ditched the makeup and released “Heavens on Fire.” Terrible.

I remember that year they played at the Expo center in Belton and nobody went. A year or two later they were a big fn' deal again with the makeup back on.

I was never a fan.

yeah man nice to meet you. When I was pulling out of the lot I saw the spots in front of the building - sorry for making you drag that thing across the street (but at least it wasn't the Line6) 

Thanks for the 372 pound amp. I managed to get it in the house all by myself.

Appreciate the donation. VAMA and the studio will get some use out of it man!!!

Be safe on your trip. And I look forward to your contributions on another thread in the months ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

My grandkids think my Martins are plectrum depositories. They're always good for a shake out. 

Time-honored way not to have to shake the guitar (well just a bit) to get out the "plectra."

1) Maneuver the pick (this is the bit of shaking, if at all) so it's directly below the soundhole.
2) Quickly flip (spin) guitar 180° (like on a bbq spit) so the soundhole is on the bottom.
3) Pick falls right out, every time.

Kudos to FedEx. Tuesday arrival was changed to Monday. Then, I got a notification that it was out for delivery today. Pictures washout the color, but it is a nice faded sonic blue.  Pickup cover has already been removed. It looks great, but I hate trying to play around it. For being 7 years old, there is not a mark on it anywhere. The previous owner removed the foam mute, so I stuffed a bit under the bridge cover, I wasn't sure that I would be a fan, but it sounds pretty fantastic. 

D9870DD8-AA7F-45F8-8EB0-8C02FA888046_1_201_a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

Bluesman Vintage Deville 2T bass with Lollar Thunderbirds. 

https://www.bluesmanvintage.com

Boutique builder, but unlike Nash he doesn't just assemble Allparts guitars and call it a day. He actually makes necks and bodies on site and will pretty much build whatever you want. 

Edited by topochico

2 hours ago, topochico said:

I don't mind a light relic. They look great and it would take the pressure off of me when I eventually put the first ding or two on it.  

This Nash is pushing it a bit too far IMHO. 

4BFAC5AB-CF80-40C0-A78C-5AE68F1E5327.jpeg

That looks like something they pulled out of a hurricane flooded basement about six months into cleanup.

• Hook 'Em 1

My wannabe bass player non-guitar playing buddy has a blue MIM strat he got long ago. At some point it got some cleaning chemicals on it or something from somewhere, made the finish bubble up in a most unnatural and unappealing way. He's had it hanging in a store on consignment for a good while, but ain't nobody gonna buy that shit for a price worth selling it for. He has thought about letting the local guitar building guy relic it out, it's the kind of shit he does. I told him he should just take some fine sandpaper to it and buff the top coat off until the gloss and the bubbling is gone, it would probably look way cool.

I've posted this before, but this is the back of the headstock on my my $300 partscaster.  The neck is a replacement from some music store in Hollywood from 1980.  It went on the road with Warren Cuccurullo during the time when he was playing with Zappa.  It eventually ended up bolted onto a classic vibe strat body with American Standard pickups and ebay parts.  This neck feels like slipping into an old pair of shoes.  But nothing shows its age and mileage better the back of the headstock.

ivotz6xovvrlqag8o3du-1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I think it is. Necks do all sorts of twisting and moving due to humidity and temp changes. A good tech can fix that for you.

When I sent my 810ce to the factory in San Diego for a couple months to get the pickup system replaced, when it came back to phoenix the humid change made the wood push some of the frets up out of their slots. Had to get that worked on.

I’ve gotten spoiled though. My guy is so good at getting necks, fretboards, and frets so true that I get pissy now when I play one that isn’t perfectly dialed in.

I think it is. Necks do all sorts of twisting and moving due to humidity and temp changes. A good tech can fix that for you.

When I sent my 810ce to the factory in San Diego for a couple months to get the pickup system replaced, when it came back to phoenix the humid change made the wood push some of the frets up out of their slots. Had to get that worked on.

I’ve gotten spoiled though. My guy is so good at getting necks, fretboards, and frets so true that I get pissy now when I play one that isn’t perfectly dialed in.

That has to be a trick in Phoenix, where basically every guitar is coming from somewhere more humid.

Dude who works on my guitars has this amp he posted a picture of. Made me giggle when I saw it. Early 80's 800 cab with the original 65 watt Celestion's.

He does great repair work. Facebook:. Dojo Guitar Repair. Check out this work on a 2004 LP with a broken headstock.

If you watch Beato's YT stuff, this is Dave Onarato.
d886c38fb3491b91311ff72b0f66e892.jpg

That has to be a trick in Phoenix, where basically every guitar is coming from somewhere more humid.

It’s interesting for sure. And it takes a while. But yea if your guitar has been in a coastal environment long enough to acclimate and you bring it here, in a few weeks it will likely be pretty whacked.

Question for the experts. I've played a little in the past when I was younger, but never really fully committed to it. My youngest daughter (soon to be 10) is showing interest in playing. Her mom and I are looking into giving her a guitar and lessons for her upcoming birthday. What would you guys recommend she starts with that's not a crazy investment, but decent enough to learn on? I feel like she is pretty small for her age too, so I don't want to get her anything that's hard for her to play.

19 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Question for the experts. I've played a little in the past when I was younger, but never really fully committed to it. My youngest daughter (soon to be 10) is showing interest in playing. Her mom and I are looking into giving her a guitar and lessons for her upcoming birthday. What would you guys recommend she starts with that's not a crazy investment, but decent enough to learn on? I feel like she is pretty small for her age too, so I don't want to get her anything that's hard for her to play.

What guitar do you really want? Get her that. Then, if she decides she doesn't like guitar, you don't have to get rid of it. 

• Like 1