The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

22 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Interesting you posted that. Today I have an apt at a great local shop called Acoustic Vibes. They’ve worked on my Taylor’s there. My main guy there is I think the only guy in Phx who is Taylor certified. Anyway, I’m taking my live rig in to test out guitars because I’m not digging my live sound. And trying to figure out if it’s the guitar or what. The inventory these guys carry is outstanding. Tons of Taylor, Gibson, Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz, Breedlove, and others.

The guy I work with there went to Roberto Venn here in Phoenix and was a builder at Collings for a while. Pretty sure he’ll stick a few of those in my hands. It will be an interesting experiment because what I’m really interested in is a good plugged in sound. Acoustics seem to be way more finicky than electrics when plugged in.

You are using a TC Helicon vocal processor? If so, which one?  The Vocal Only or the Vocal-Guitar?  I want to get one for my grandkids to use.  I think the Vocal Only would be better for them, but I like the Vocal/Guitar harmony ability.

And WOOOOHOOOOOO, just like that, we have a new guitar!  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

e245ec6027c95719c5ce882c9710d292.jpg

adc4dabcd5c07cd10c9e20dbf7f990ab.jpg

OM 03. Zebra wood sides and back, whatever that is. I like the look though.

Beautiful tbone!  Our lead singer - who changes guitars like underwear - has had his Laravee for a long, long time now.  Perhaps decades.  He switches out electrics often, but he never switches out the Laravee.  I hope you find it fits you as well!

Happy NGD day!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You are using a TC Helicon vocal processor? If so, which one?  The Vocal Only or the Vocal-Guitar?  I want to get one for my grandkids to use.  I think the Vocal Only would be better for them, but I like the Vocal/Guitar harmony ability.

And WOOOOHOOOOOO, just like that, we have a new guitar!  

I have the TC Helicon Play Acoustic. Guitar and vocal processor all in one. It’s pretty good. But I don’t use it live anymore. Live we switched to a TC Duplicator and Mike Mechanic for vocals. And I use an LR Baggs Venue di box for the guitar.

The play acoustic would probably be good for them. Most vocal only processors will do harmony. But the PA will do pitch correct to the guitar signal coming through it. Which is kind of nice. It does a lot and can get a little complicated to dial in through menus.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/1/2020 at 7:59 AM, Napoleon said:

Just a heads up. The Firefly guitars have a thin line Tele and then they had a sunburst version that came with dual P90s. Well they have added two colors to their P90 lineup. 

A metallic red and a powder blue (not metallic).

Here’s the link  https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/ffth-hollow-body-guitars

Price is about $149. 

Scale length: 25.5”

Fretboard radius: 12”

Weight:  7 lbs or a smidgen under

C9F993CB-693B-4C37-9119-A81844C2C371.jpeg

49BE6550-2FCB-407D-B32A-079CB251B2CB.jpeg

3C28F18E-F6CA-4868-A58C-FB63C1A78613.png

C78A277B-3EC2-4CEC-BB42-9686C8AC533B.jpeg

BD65349E-ECC6-45AE-B840-D28C12B8F80A.jpeg

I have the sunburst. I can’t decide if I like it or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wayne my Sweetwater salesman emailed me to tell me my rickenbacker came in early and was ready to ship. I owe like $170 on it. I asked if he could call me so I could pay off the balance and he responded with this: 

Bogeywon,

I apologize. We actually had a system error that was showing out of stock invoices to be in stock. I got too excited for you to get your Rick but we are still waiting on it to come in. I'm sorry for the misinformation and potentially getting your hopes up. I'll be in touch about it down the road!

Thanks,

Wayne Wildman

• Hook 'Em 1

My cousin asked for my advice getting his girlfriends 9yo son a starter guitar for Christmas. He's eager to learn and is the kind of kid who sticks at it im told. I pointed him to a killer deal on a Squire Strat combo I found on sale (couldn't find a similar deal with a Tele), saying thousands of guitar players started on a Squire. Hell, I've known Pro's who play them.

Evidently Mom, didn't pounce on the deal I sent in time, but bought this Telecaster used this morning for just over $100. Good job, Mom!

e97a17961b56d59523631f47c6a44b51.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

FYI, saw on slickdeals.com the Lake Placid blue Mexico Tele is still on sale for $519 at Adorama, through slickdeals links, featured near the top again today.

It keeps taunting me, but I still hold out...unless they really slash the price again before the end of the year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DougO said:

FYI, saw on slickdeals.com the Lake Placid blue Mexico Tele is still on sale for $519 at Adorama, through slickdeals links, featured near the top again today.

It keeps taunting me, but I still hold out...unless they really slash the price again before the end of the year.

The true spirit of Christmas resides in you.  

My cousin asked for my advice getting his girlfriends 9yo son a starter guitar for Christmas. He's eager to learn and is the kind of kid who sticks at it im told. I pointed him to a killer deal on a Squire Strat combo I found on sale (couldn't find a similar deal with a Tele), saying thousands of guitar players started on a Squire. Hell, I've known Pro's who play them.

Evidently Mom, didn't pounce on the deal I sent in time, but bought this Telecaster used this morning for just over $100. Good job, Mom!

e97a17961b56d59523631f47c6a44b51.jpg

We bought a matching strat/tele in this red sparkle for our music association. $150 each brand new. 2018 dealio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Thanks Topo. FW is a little far afield for me but perhaps it’d be worth it to expand my horizons.

It's a big wonderful world out there Mr. Fuck. I drive about 40 minutes to get to Wicks. He is a transplant from Austin, if that helps. 

For Dallas, I would probably look at Dan McCarthy, but I have no personal experience with him. 
http://www.dallasguitarrepair.com

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Is Charley’s still around? You’d think they’d have somebody good.

I went to Charlie's once and later found a mistake that left a bad taste in my mouth.  I'm sure it was a one off thing, but long story short, I now have a set of left-handed chrome inline tuners where I used to have a set of right-handed inline tuners that were very nicely aged.  

I like the inverted jack. Was surprised that 67 headstocks looked like that, but... yep.
I've listened to the Buena Vista Social Club soundtrack a million times but only just recently watched the doc. That strat he plays there is ugly.
image.png.cbad84286c5c0034505de1c14579b768.png

If you read the article there’s some speculation it’s a 66 that had left around the factory a while. The transition logo definitely points in that direction.

Lots of Custom Shop RI 67s with the blind neck on Reverb. Not many true 67s and none with a bound neck. Still have the transition logo and Klusons though.

Fender Stratocaster 1967 Sunburst https://reverb.com/item/28845972-fender-stratocaster-1967-sunburst?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=28845972

Speaking of Coodercasters, my feed is full of them the last couple of years. I dig the burnt orange on this one:

Waterslide Coodercaster with Mojo goldfoil and Guyatone pickups 2020 copper https://reverb.com/item/36596176-waterslide-coodercaster-with-mojo-goldfoil-and-guyatone-pickups-2020-copper?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=36596176

On 12/5/2020 at 12:42 PM, tbone_ said:

What’s the medium length version of that story?

Twelve to fifteen years ago, when I first bought my 1966 JM neck, it had some aged tuners on it - not original, but aged to look vintage.  The aging was performed so well that the Charlie's tech made a note of it to me that he was surprised they weren't the originals upon closer inspection (they were not, I assure you).   

While doing other work on the JM style parts caster referenced upthread (the one with the Guitar Mill neck - that body has had three necks on it now, but I digress), I had them switch out the aged ones for new Gotoh locking tuners.  

Probably a year later I was looking for the aged tuners for another guitar project, looked in my JM case, and discovered that I had not received back the original aged tuners.  I had received back a set of left handed newer Kluson style tuners.  Certainly, it was on me to do the parts check to make sure I'd received back what I took there, which I did not do.  But  enthralled in the glow of having this very specific (66 JM necks are unique having blocks and a transition logo)-new to me-vintage new neck being almost a new guitar, the left over bits weren't foremost in my mind.  Foremost in my mind was getting this gem home and plugging it in.  

Now, it could have been an honest mistake by a tech who has 100 guitars in his shop at any given time.  Or, it could have been that tech really liked those nicely aged tuners (enough that he commented on them) and "mistakenly" dropped the useless (to me - and probably of lesser value to him) tuners in case hoping that exactly what did transpire would transpire.  If I find the error - "oops, people make mistakes" - if I don't - "Man, I like these free tuners I got from that dumbass who didn't even care to check that he got them back!"  

Either way, I didn't get back what I took there so I'm not interested in giving them another shot with so many other possibilities out there.  

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 1