The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 12/12/2020 at 7:43 AM, Deej said:

Hulla, as someone who did a number on his hand, I advise you do every minute of physical therapy the doc recommends. 

I was going to check in with you today about your hand.  As I was dancing around the basement, shaking my hand, and scared to look at my hand....I thought of your ordeal. 

13 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I was going to check in with you today about your hand.  As I was dancing around the basement, shaking my hand, and scared to look at my hand....I thought of your ordeal. 

It's not 100%, but it's not bad, 4 and 1/2 years later. Before surgery, doc said to expect 70% of what it used to be. I'd say it's 90%. Can't make a proper fist, and arthritis has begun to set in, but it always gives me about 24 hours notice of the weather changing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

From the you can’t play this file:

Seen a few of that guys videos and he's insanely good.  I have very poorly done some things kind of like that with an acoustic guitar, using it as a drum while also playing, but not anywhere near to that degree.  It's pretty amazing what he's able to pull off with just his two hands (and two capos).

Regarding that cover above: I feel like whenever I see videos like that it’s someone doing a cover. I don’t think I’ve ever seen original tunes played that way. I’m sure that’s not always the case. 

It also seems like something only guitarists would dig. Like I can’t imagine more than 100 people turning up to watch someone do it. It’s insanely talented but pretty nichey. Like this:

16 hours ago, Deej said:

What did the surgeon say?

Have to go back in a week.  Still infected.  Continued antibiotics.  If not cleared up in a week, IV antibiotics or surgery to clean it out.  Right now, finger just burns and itches constantly.  Not a much pain now...and probably 90 percent movement has returned, but the infection really troubles him.  I honestly wasn't that worried about it until talking to him.  He was mighty quick to use the word 'amputation'.  

Played guitar for first time last night.  I never realized how much I actually used my middle finger on my 'pickin' hand. 

Edited by hullabelew

18 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Have to go back in a week.  Still infected.  Continued antibiotics.  If not cleared up in a week, IV antibiotics or surgery to clean it out.  Right now, finger just burns and itches constantly.  Not a much pain now...and probably 90 percent movement has returned, but the infection really troubles him.  I honestly wasn't that worried about it until talking to him.  He was mighty quick to use the word 'amputation'.  

Played guitar for first time last night.  I never realized how much I actually used my middle finger on my 'pickin' hand. 

Ugh. 

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Yikes, good luck with it, hope he's mighty quick to quit using the word amputation.

20 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Wondered the same thing. Maybe the front one has some pass through strings or something.

I have one that does this. It's called a spider capo:

Spidercapo.png

Sweetwater sells them, I haven't used it much. When I bought it a few years back it was kinda new and there weren't very many players that had come up with many variable tunings. Gonna do the rabbit hole for a few hours, and see what folks have come up with.

https://spidercapo.com

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

HP was Gibson's top of the line, stands for high performance. I think of the line as everything Gibson knows about making guitars jammed in - Plek'd cryogenic treated titanium frets, weight relieved body, Burstbucker Pros, asymmetrical taper neck, rounded heel, tops that'll change your religion, Custom Shop attention to detail, the works.

But used, since our guitar culture isn't exactly known to embrace progress, you can find these Ferraris for the price of a tricked out Altima.

They obviously aren't for everyone, and the line ended up like most lines when Gibson or Fender try to bring modern processes into their flagship products, but I see that as an opportunity for players who are open to the idea of things like playing above 19th fret with ease or standing without your lumbar exploding onto the floor behind you.

RIP HP

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That’s glorious. Whadya get whacked for on something like that?
The sweet spot is around $2k, which is less than half what they streeted for just a few short years ago. The case they come in are $600 by themselves (the rare times you can actually buy one).

The 2017 is my favorite of the run, with a churched up appearance befitting a model that sits at the top of the line (nowadays you can't tell a Tribute apart from a Standard from across the room), the most dependable Tronical model made, and the move from heavy plastic to metal knobs, but the 2018s are very interesting and unique. They commit the cardinal sin of pushing the Les Paul platform so far that it no longer looks like the guitar your grandpa played. (Insert sarcastic tsk tsk here.) But if you can get past the audacity of a naked pickup switch, pickups without rings, and a burst paint job that's waaaaaay out there for the typically staid LP crowd, the 2018, HP's final hurrah, is by far your best deal at prices that can go sub $2k. That's wig-flippingly crazy for the amount of guitar you get.

It's a shame that Gibson is not really allowed to evolve their flagship, but the upside is when they do you can find the result for a song on the used market.

You just have to come to terms with the fact that you're buying a Les Paul Standard with a more refined and modern playing experience, which your typical LP fanatic hates.

• Like 1

These HPs, they have robot tuners? Can you change that?
Most do. They dropped them during the lawsuit, which overlapped the end of HP production by half a year.

For the ones that do, popping off the robotuners is a matter of unscrewing the 6 posts holding the tuning body in place, and slotting in the 6 replacement tuners of you choice. The Tronicals don't leave any evidence they were installed.

You will need to add 2 small screws per tuner (I recommend making a pilot hole so you don't split the headstock, which is a possibility. The pilot hole is easy peasy with a pin drill and it's a safe operation.) With pilot holes, it's just a matter of screwing the new tuners down snuggly. Whole shebang should take less than an hour.

You can sell the G-Force for enough to cover the new tuners AND the pin drill.

BMF, tuners come in at least 3 different ream sizes, so I've never been comfortable ordering a set to replace the robo-shit tubers in my LP Jr; I don't know the size of the holes for the ones on there now. Do you know a set that will drop in? I like the classic greenish tulip ones.

Seriously, I never play that guitar solely because of that shitty tuning system. I dont ave the patience for it. It takes it forever to find pitch on a few strings and won't let just do it manually. I'd love to start playing that thing.

This dude does a pretty good run down of the HP features. He omits a few things like the reduced headstock angle (no more snapping at the bend, knock on wood - but not the wood of the headstock) and the treated frets, but you get the idea.

And here's one of the prettiest guitars Gibson ever made, but I'm biased.

BMF, tuners come in at least 3 different ream sizes, so I've never been comfortable ordering a set to replace the robo-shit tubers in my LP Jr; I don't know the size of the holes for the ones on there now. Do you know a set that will drop in? I like the classic greenish tulip ones.

Seriously, I never play that guitar solely because of that shitty tuning system. I dont ave the patience for it. It takes it forever to find pitch on a few strings and won't let just do it manually. I'd love to start playing that thing.
I'm not hip on the robos used in Jr's, but Schaller Keystone DR locking tuners are a popular drop-in replacement for the LP Standard robos.

Some tuning knob retrofit kits come with bushings, though.

You can remove one of the robo tuning knobs without removing the whole assembly. After that you can caliper the hole and settle it once and for all.

And I'm surprised to hear you cant tune it manually. The Tronical models in the Standard can be adjusted manually, and in fact can store a bunch of user defined tunings which might REQUIRE manual tuning to set. Double check that you can't tune that badboy by hand.

As a side note, both of the robos I own tune fast as shit and a damn sight faster than I can do it.