The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I have a laminate top Tak acoustic, and have a decent bank built up potentially for a solid top. Worth it? recommendations? I've got around a grand plus or minus. I could spend $4K, but I just pluck around the house, so that doesn't really make sense to me. 

29 minutes ago, JSB said:

I have a laminate top Tak acoustic, and have a decent bank built up potentially for a solid top. Worth it? recommendations? I've got around a grand plus or minus. I could spend $4K, but I just pluck around the house, so that doesn't really make sense to me. 

https://reverb.com/p/martin-standard-series-d-41-2005-2017?hfid=36267493&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1953837320&utm_content=campaignid=1953837320_adgroupid=69187432965_productpartitionid=957551445795=merchantid=240027931_productid=36267493_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=391637461818&gclid=CjwKCAiAz4b_BRBbEiwA5XlVVmbVBUEPCGU53BZfrcQzd45XMRmHAjBshAj2QKGX0JkThBMii9ia_RoC_aEQAvD_BwE

image.thumb.png.0b9e11d5c33fd4c58440de90a9062729.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JSB said:

We deserve a new guitar.  Sense has not one fuck to do with this.  Let's go buy a new guitar.  That D-41 is stunning.  Let's buy it!

More straightforward answer - maybe? I mean, I own 5 acoustics, for me the answer is yes. Takamines are nice guitars, often times cheaper acoustics sound surprisingly good, the "worth" of it is relative. But if you play regularly and enjoy it, and especially if you enjoy guitars themselves, I would say yes - start thinking about what you'd like in a solid wood acoustic guitar. Get yourself a Nazareth (made in Pennsylvania) Martin, a Taylor, or a Gibson. What kind of stuff do you play, where do you play in the house, what is the takamine (pics), is there any model you've been thinking about at all?

• Hook 'Em 1

More straightforward answer - maybe? I mean, I own 5 acoustics, for me the answer is yes. Takamines are nice guitars, often times cheaper acoustics sound surprisingly good, the "worth" of it is relative. But if you play regularly and enjoy it, and especially if you enjoy guitars themselves, I would say yes - start thinking about what you'd like in a solid wood acoustic guitar. Get yourself a Nazareth (made in Pennsylvania) Martin, a Taylor, or a Gibson. What kind of stuff do you play, where do you play in the house, what is the takamine (pics), is there any model you've been thinking about at all?

The takamine is an e series from probably 2001 or so. Pic with a lot of finger prints

0029e66d08401649b79e1b4b5169a009.jpg

I used to play a lot, had a shitty college band. Now it’s a few times a week in my office or the back porch. I’m not sure on a model, but I want it to look unique. Humingbird is one of my grails.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Find a good guitar store. Go play as many acoustics as you can. Take all afternoon if you need to. Buy the one that speaks to you, plays like butter, and sounds like angels. You’ll know it when it happens.

That’s what I’ve done on every Acoustic I’ve bought - 5. I could never buy one online. They’re all different. Even duplicates of the exact same model. Every time I’ve done that I’ve ended up with something I didn’t expect but loved.

See my Larravee post above.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Find a good guitar store. Go play as many acoustics as you can. Take all afternoon if you need to. Buy the one that speaks to you, plays like butter, and sounds like angels. You’ll know it when it happens.

That’s what I’ve done on every Acoustic I’ve bought - 5. I could never buy one online. They’re all different. Even duplicates of the exact same model. Every time I’ve done that I’ve ended up with something I didn’t expect but loved.

This is the best advice.  While even electrics will differ from instrument to instrument, it's nothing like acoustics.  Go play as many as you can.  It's like searching for a girlfriend.  There are many that are attractive, but fewer that you want to spend significant time with.  And you really don't know until you get your hands on one if it's the right model for you.

That said, I bought my Martin Steve Miller online.  But I'd already played one, knew what I was looking for and spent years trolling guitar sites and e-bay waiting for one to pop up at a decent price.  

Edited by Chad Fuck

4 hours ago, JSB said:

The takamine is an e series from probably 2001 or so. Pic with a lot of finger prints

I used to play a lot, had a shitty college band. Now it’s a few times a week in my office or the back porch. I’m not sure on a model, but I want it to look unique. Humingbird is one of my grails.

You answered your own question right here. Go take some for a spin then post pics after purchase. 

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Anyone own or have any time with the Professional II Fenders?  How's quality and playability for the price?  There is a sweetwater demo that is calling to me...

spacer.png

i personally would like to hear your particular stylings with that...so merry xmas.  get it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

So true. That's the way I found my Taylor D-300, it was head and shoulders above the other D-300s in the store, and sounded as good as the $3600 Guilds.

CHIEF

5 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Remember way back when I asked of anyone had the ins on a MIM for my nephew? Apparently MIM Strats and the like were difficult to find mid-pandemic for a good deal but Foggy did Foggy things and found this clean one for below market. That nephew is finally getting it in a few days and the family is excited for him. I wanted to drop this here to also thank Foggy in the thread. Dude made a bunch of people happy and one kid an unforgettable Christmas.a6e3bcf449702084f49d1e4d2faf4f35.jpg

This warms my cold, dark heart, Boom. I hope your nephew loves the Strat and plays the hell out of it! Merry Christmas to you and the MF family.

And Merry Christmas to the rest of you dudes too! I hope your holidays are filled with lots of plucking. Cheers to my favorite thread on Surly!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I hope everyone is having a great Christmas.

Anybody pick up some gear for themselves or someone in the fam? Guitar or otherwise?  I got a Powercab 112 plus to pair with my Helix LT amp/fx modeler so I can hopefully play live some when the pandemic cools down.

CFB7193-B-F938-4-B74-8-A6-D-7-D4-D56-B05

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 11:26 AM, JSB said:

Ok cool - and that's a smaller acoustic (not a bigassed dreadnought or an even bigger assed Hummingbird) you've got there. So you could get yourself something like a Hummingbird or D18/D28 or J45 or whatever Taylor and still have something that's a bit more of a couch plucker.

IMO you should start being open to dropping a chunk of change on an acoustic and start buying strings in person at brick and mortar shops. You want something that looks unique and your grail is a Hummingbird -  maybe you should get a Hummingbird. Even outside of the Hummingbird, Gibson is good for finishes beyond sitka spruce. Here's my J45 yet again :)

2-F637-FAA-C124-45-EF-B76-A-B76-A127-ED8

Merry Christmas you sumbitches. I got a G7th capo (which I've always wanted to try but haven't $50 wanted to try) - I think I like it. Seems like it is quick and doesn't squeeze the strings out of tune. I think I've ditched all of my older school spring capos at this point for shubbs, paige, and now this homey.

Also got a little Vox headphone amp and a wireless thing that I'm sure is useless (Getaria, will see how it works). I do feel bad for people trying to buy me guitar stuff. The Vox thing actually doesn't sound terrible, not sure how much I'll use it.

• Like 1

One kid wanted an electric guitar, so we bought home a cheap knockoff strat in red and white that came with a little amp, from Amazon. It was like $150. 

I’m 100% sure he’ll give it up within a month, but you never know. 

You never know. That’s pretty much how everyone starts.

Yea donner is Chinese. Take it to a guitar tech and have what’s called a “set up” done on it. Should be $35-50. It’ll play better and stay in tune better for him, thus making it more likely he’ll get something out of it. Cheap guitars often don’t stay in tune well and it’s really hard to learn in that situation.

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yea donner is Chinese. Take it to a guitar tech and have what’s called a “set up” done on it. Should be $35-50. It’ll play better and stay in tune better for him, thus making it more likely he’ll get something out of it. Cheap guitars often don’t stay in tune well and it’s really hard to learn in that situation.

Just did a google search for luthier near me, expecting Billings to be the closest. There’s a guy 20 minutes away in fucking Powell, Wy to my incredible surprise. 

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Celery - can I get more info on those capos?

I have a paige capo floating around somewhere - it is a pretty simple design. The bar that frets the strings clasps into place, which brings the whole thing around the neck of your guitar. You twist a screw to tighten the part that goes against the back of the neck. $23, works well, kind of a pain to take off and depending on the neck of your guitar it may not be easy to just slide it over the nut. I use it the least.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PO-6N--paige-6-string-standard-capo-satin-nickel?mrkgadid=3360586439&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=guitars&&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700049293603399&lid=92700049293603399&ds_s_kwgid=58700005412155917&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=833614012695&product_id=PO-6N&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9009718&creative=393032110056&targetid=pla-833614012695&campaignid=1465808371&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuJb_BRDJARIsAKkycUkY-I1hnI7kk-Qs3YPunai7aEp9mJkt_WI0REBypy6tq3pt-cm0O54aAlTOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Shubb - that's the brass guy right there. Also available in steel, which has a wheel rather than a rubber point on the end of the screw. Both ones seem to work equally well to me, I think the wheel is supposed to be an upgrade (and maybe the rubber tip will eventually come off the brass one) but the brass one is cool. Works by pressure holding the lower bar in place (by way of pressure from the curved bar against the screw tip). Comes off easily, you can adjust the screw for more or less tension. You do need to adjust the screw as you go up and down the neck, which is a downside. The other is that you can't stick it on your guitar's headstock. It usually goes in my back pocket if I'm standing and not using it. $17. I have several of these floating around and use them all the time.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ShubbC1B--shubb-c1b-original-capo-for-steel-string-brass?mrkgadid=3331288745&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=guitars&&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938600946&lid=92700046938600946&ds_s_kwgid=58700005283398302&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=522112415470&product_id=ShubbC1B&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9009718&creative=332063179836&targetid=pla-522112415470&campaignid=1708733954&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuJb_BRDJARIsAKkycUmumq233dzjQUrHuMXI5YUFBn28YApz2U265Pq1sgfrBeyL0jdaFLMaAuuIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

G7th - I don't know precisely how the mechanism works, but essentially the only way you can open it is by putting pressure on that triangle that sticks out from the fulcrum. That seems to work well with the shape/sponginess of the rubber on the pivoting arm, so you just kinda squeeze it into place and it stays (but because it is locked, not because a spring is applying pressure). I'm typically a capo over the top guy, this seems easier to one hand move if you put it on from under the bottom (since you can squeeze the triangle with your palm and take it off). Can clip on the top of the guitar. Downside is, $55.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G7Perf6Blk3--g7th-performance-3-art-capo-6-string-black?mrkgadid=3331287894&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=guitars&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938598126&lid=92700046938598126&ds_s_kwgid=58700005283398284&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=522112415470&product_id=G7Perf6Blk3&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9009718&creative=332063179644&targetid=pla-522112415470&campaignid=1708733951&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuJb_BRDJARIsAKkycUk6QVCQ8L19_05xolWkJBKtQEalcX-repWCmp1w2ofaAAzhFH8Vr1AaArM6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Like a nice hoodie or pair of sweatpants, I feel like the price tag has kept me away from these for far too long given how frequently I use capos and how trivial $50 is in the grand scheme. It just seems too expensive for a capo. I've only used this for a bit but I think if I was doing a lot of gigging I would use these. A lot less futzing around.

4198A2B0-3E29-4A0D-802A-18C794131FCE.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 10:03 AM, Celery Man said:

I've driven past the factory without paying much attention to it.  Next time I'm stopping and taking the museum tour.

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:
2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:
58668622-498A-42B2-B799-98625365CB69.thumb.jpeg.29c10b0fc881f9e08143d36d6a7154d8.jpeg

That reminds me that I had pit tickets for RATM last Spring for a show that canceled a few weeks prior because of this fucking virus. Theoretically I still have them if concerts ever happen again and Rage feels like doing it.

That sucks man hope the show goes on!

• Like 1

I’m waiting on a desk and some bookshelves to start to see the layout of the room, but I’m putting my home office together and figuring out the guitar corner in that room. Soliciting guitar space pron for inspiration

Moved one of these to the attic and one of these to the office today.

Maybe I’ll eventually move the GK back down. I have a kinship with that amp. It is just about twenty years old, has seen some shit, and has never not turned on and made enough noise.

37ADEB48-44CC-4A55-8001-F4569BA44A9A.jpeg

5531A1B1-5479-4298-9095-5E3ED1D1A654.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Ignore my Thujonesque photoshop skills and help me untear myself over a couple of options.  Cream/Olympic White or 3 color burst paired with a leather pickguard?

oly-white.png
burst.png

Cream makes the pickguard pop.

It blends with the sunburst.

I prefer the cream, but it really depends on what you’re going for. It looks like a variation on tortoiseshell to me, where the same aesthetic concerns would apply.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m waiting on a desk and some bookshelves to start to see the layout of the room, but I’m putting my home office together and figuring out the guitar corner in that room. Soliciting guitar space pron for inspiration
 Moved one of these to the attic and one of these to the office today.
 Maybe I’ll eventually move the GK back down. I have a kinship with that amp. It is just about twenty years old, has seen some shit, and has never not turned on and made enough noise.

37ADEB48-44CC-4A55-8001-F4569BA44A9A.thumb.jpeg.668e4537ff6f119b71e2426c3d585fd3.jpeg
5531A1B1-5479-4298-9095-5E3ED1D1A654.thumb.jpeg.3dcb7c750ed0e0bdbb0d5b51b090e758.jpeg

I have an 800rb I bought when I was young and dumb. It’s way too much amp for my needs but every time I want to sell it I remind myself it’s paid for, always sounds good and has never failed me.

9 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Cream makes the pickguard pop.

It blends with the sunburst.

I prefer the cream, but it really depends on what you’re going for. It looks like a variation on tortoiseshell to me, where the same aesthetic concerns would apply.

I'm kind of leaning that way, I have a lot of bursts in my collection, too.

I have a lot of burst types anyway, so you talked me into the oly white.  Talking to a guy about the pickguard, will be a two tone fade like in my mock up but no paisley.  Just distressed leather like this tele pickguard he made (I want it to be on the  understated side).

91331-D12-B5-C4-432-B-A675-B1-CE880-CDED

As for the guitar, looking for a deal/demo on one of these (in Olympia white of course).  Now just to learn how to play like JayLeonardJ..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2