The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Yeah, will have to see how it comes together and how it holds up.  I think it will be cool and a little different.  The leather might be a bad choice if I was a gigging musician sweating all over it, but since I’m mostly playing at a desk I’m hoping it holds up and degrades gracefully.

If you go the leather route, consider going with natural vegetable tanned leather. It will age so much better over time. In the beginning, it may look pale, but over time it will darken up especially where your hand contacts the guard. Eventually, it will look bad ass. You can condition it and stick it out in the sun in the beginning to get it darker and not so pale at the start. 

CEF2A150-ADBF-45BB-BBD2-FFF07A929019_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/18/2020 at 3:41 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

I ordered everything to build another Telecaster last night.

Telecaster.thumb.jpg.dc5a5313ad6c7b788d67da79bb6791f4.jpg

Teaser below. Warmoth is great. I realized this morning that I'd clicked the wrong fret size on the fat '59 profile, Vintage/Modern neck I ordered. Luckily I realized my error this morning. Called, a real human answered the phone, and they made the change before the frets had been installed. Narrow/Tall FWIW. ToneRider Hot Classic Pickups. 

Just wondering if you forgot about building this.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

• Like 1

We are all waiting on Warmoth, believe me! They say they're running behind with finished necks. I really coulda used the project this week.

I imagine every guitarist in the country has at least been eyeing a Warmoth project in 2020.

That said, my fancy cheesecake neckplate arrived. All I need is a Jazzmaster case to throw the bits in and take them to the luthier.

There was a decent little gig bag on Stupid Deal of the Day for $30 I ordered for this project. Otherwise it can share a case with my American Deluxe if I want to travel with it. Ive run out of space to store cases.

I got back from Texas the other day and nearly brought that partscaster Tele home with me. Thats a really good one.

On 12/25/2020 at 7:41 PM, Celery Man said:

I have a paige capo floating around somewhere - it is a pretty simple design. The bar that frets the strings clasps into place, which brings the whole thing around the neck of your guitar. You twist a screw to tighten the part that goes against the back of the neck. $23, works well, kind of a pain to take off and depending on the neck of your guitar it may not be easy to just slide it over the nut. I use it the least.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PO-6N--paige-6-string-standard-capo-satin-nickel?mrkgadid=3360586439&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=guitars&&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700049293603399&lid=92700049293603399&ds_s_kwgid=58700005412155917&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=833614012695&product_id=PO-6N&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9009718&creative=393032110056&targetid=pla-833614012695&campaignid=1465808371&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuJb_BRDJARIsAKkycUkY-I1hnI7kk-Qs3YPunai7aEp9mJkt_WI0REBypy6tq3pt-cm0O54aAlTOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Shubb - that's the brass guy right there. Also available in steel, which has a wheel rather than a rubber point on the end of the screw. Both ones seem to work equally well to me, I think the wheel is supposed to be an upgrade (and maybe the rubber tip will eventually come off the brass one) but the brass one is cool. Works by pressure holding the lower bar in place (by way of pressure from the curved bar against the screw tip). Comes off easily, you can adjust the screw for more or less tension. You do need to adjust the screw as you go up and down the neck, which is a downside. The other is that you can't stick it on your guitar's headstock. It usually goes in my back pocket if I'm standing and not using it. $17. I have several of these floating around and use them all the time.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ShubbC1B--shubb-c1b-original-capo-for-steel-string-brass?mrkgadid=3331288745&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=guitars&&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938600946&lid=92700046938600946&ds_s_kwgid=58700005283398302&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=522112415470&product_id=ShubbC1B&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9009718&creative=332063179836&targetid=pla-522112415470&campaignid=1708733954&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuJb_BRDJARIsAKkycUmumq233dzjQUrHuMXI5YUFBn28YApz2U265Pq1sgfrBeyL0jdaFLMaAuuIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

G7th - I don't know precisely how the mechanism works, but essentially the only way you can open it is by putting pressure on that triangle that sticks out from the fulcrum. That seems to work well with the shape/sponginess of the rubber on the pivoting arm, so you just kinda squeeze it into place and it stays (but because it is locked, not because a spring is applying pressure). I'm typically a capo over the top guy, this seems easier to one hand move if you put it on from under the bottom (since you can squeeze the triangle with your palm and take it off). Can clip on the top of the guitar. Downside is, $55.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G7Perf6Blk3--g7th-performance-3-art-capo-6-string-black?mrkgadid=3331287894&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=guitars&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938598126&lid=92700046938598126&ds_s_kwgid=58700005283398284&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=522112415470&product_id=G7Perf6Blk3&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9009718&creative=332063179644&targetid=pla-522112415470&campaignid=1708733951&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuJb_BRDJARIsAKkycUk6QVCQ8L19_05xolWkJBKtQEalcX-repWCmp1w2ofaAAzhFH8Vr1AaArM6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Like a nice hoodie or pair of sweatpants, I feel like the price tag has kept me away from these for far too long given how frequently I use capos and how trivial $50 is in the grand scheme. It just seems too expensive for a capo. I've only used this for a bit but I think if I was doing a lot of gigging I would use these. A lot less futzing around.

4198A2B0-3E29-4A0D-802A-18C794131FCE.jpeg

The G7th shown is the only one I've ever used..does the job

I've done that a million times. In this case, I saw an in-stock body and instantly had a vision for it. I hope it ships one day. They said 4 to 5 weeks when I checked in after 3. As of today, its been 6. I'm isolating from traveling, so it sure as fuck would have been nice to have it here now while I have the free time.

Wow.  Seeing one that is so close to yours. I'm so glad you took that guitar to Gruhn and not some jackass at Guitar Center in Montgomery.  What a great story on that guitar.  Have you been playing it much?  How do you keep it stored?  

Have you done any research or did they give you any info on how many of those were made? 

Edited by hullabelew

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Wow.  Seeing one that is so close to yours. I'm so glad you took that guitar to Gruhn and not some jackass at Guitar Center in Montgomery.  What a great story on that guitar.  Have you been playing it much?  How do you keep it stored?  

Have you done any research or did they give you any info on how many of those were made? 

I appreciate all of the advice you and others gave.  I still haven't learned to play, but I'll take it out every so often and strum and admire it.  Whenever my friend that sent me that link comes over, he'll play it for an hour or so.  I just have it stored in the case in my closet.  I asked either the luthier that restored it or Gruhn about storing it and string tension and he said to just keep normal tension on it. 

When I watched the video in that RetroFret link, I was underimpressed with the sound because it really can sound powerful.  I have an employee that plays and has played mine.  This is what he said after I sent him the link:

Startled me at first thinking yours was up for sale which would have put evil forces to working in my head.  Well, the guy didn’t hit the right notes to even be able to tell if it was holding up to yours, he didn’t fire off any cannon notes.  And selling for what your value was stated at.  There is nothing left except wannabes as far as I’m can say compared to that possessed thing you have.    Possessed by the tone gods.

I don't remember them telling me much info on how many were made, but I found this:

https://www.vintageguitar.com/25116/gibson-j-35/

The J-35 was manufactured in far greater quantity than any other pre-war Gibson dreadnought, with an average of 380 produced each year from 1937 to ’40. The following year, J-35 production surged to 855, which topped production for all other Gibson models with the exception of the V-25 violin. Though the J-35 was an inexpensive guitar when new – costing about half as much as a Martin D-18 – today, it is held in high regard by collectors and musicians, its desirability and superb sound due not only to woods, but the fact it was lightly built with thin top and light bracing, which gives great power as well as fine tone. An unfortunate side-effect of that construction is that any examples not treated with great care frequently fall into poor condition. Luckily, those that are properly maintained are inspiring guitars, and prove that an instrument’s list price is not always proportional to the quality of its sound or its desirability as a vintage model.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I've done that a million times. In this case, I saw an in-stock body and instantly had a vision for it. I hope it ships one day. They said 4 to 5 weeks when I checked in after 3. As of today, its been 6. I'm isolating from traveling, so it sure as fuck would have been nice to have it here now while I have the free time.

Did you go with a finished or a raw body? The finished bodies are a little over the top to me (and I own a PRS) but some of the raw bodies have some really nice grain. I’ve always kind of wanted a transparent flat white Strat. 

Yeah, I've kind of wanted to get a decent, lightly flamed LP with the thinner 60s neck profile, that I can put Pearly Gates and a Jimmy Page wiring harness in.  That'd be my ultimate LP.  If this one hadn't had the solid painted back/neck, it'd already be on the way to my house.  But since I'm in no hurry, I'll just keep looking.  The right guitar will pop up one day.  

Really, I want @Celery Man's, but that's just my envy talking. 

Did you go with a finished or a raw body? The finished bodies are a little over the top to me (and I own a PRS) but some of the raw bodies have some really nice grain. I’ve always kind of wanted a transparent flat white Strat. 
Its finished and a solid color. Im having neck finished too, glossy. The only thing I didn't like about the last project was finishing.

I got a tracking number today finally. Should arrive Tuesday!
i've done my guitar bit buying for a little while.  But this one seems like a good deal if anyone was interested:
syikr0r0s2oa7jhnxuwi.jpg
https://reverb.com/item/37959042-gibson-les-paul-traditional-desert-burst-demo

Thats a good looking Les Paul, and i prefer that chunky neck. Wish I had an excuse.
  • Hook 'Em 1

What’s a good 2x12 to buy that’s versatile? I want tubes. Also I like to play deftones to the The Rolling Stones. I own a fender 2x12 devillle and a mess single Rec on a Marshall 1960a cab. My budget is about $600. Used is fine. Also posting in this thread cause it gets more traffic. Also not opposed to buying a head for my cab either 

I bought a used Mesa Electradyne a while back off Reverb. Was about $800 so maybe a bit over your budget. BUT, most versatile amp I’ve ever played. It’s designed to be Mesa’s version of a Fender twin on the clean side and a hot rod Marshall on the dirt side. And it nails them. Doesn’t really sound like a Mesa at all. You can get them in a head, 2 12 or 1 12 I think. Runs in either 90 or 45 watt mode.

Peavy classic 50 would work too. You can find them on Reverb for cheap in head and 2 12.

Another option would be to just put a good dirt pedal in front of your deville. I use a Bogner La Grange (Marshall in a box) in front of a dual showman head. Sounds fantastic. Very versatile and cleans up great with the volume knob. I used to play every song our and played with that one pedal and a volume knob.

16 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I bought a used Mesa Electradyne a while back off Reverb. Was about $800 so maybe a bit over your budget. BUT, most versatile amp I’ve ever played. It’s designed to be Mesa’s version of a Fender twin on the clean side and a hot rod Marshall on the dirt side. And it nails them. Doesn’t really sound like a Mesa at all. You can get them in a head, 2 12 or 1 12 I think. Runs in either 90 or 45 watt mode.

Peavy classic 50 would work too. You can find them on Reverb for cheap in head and 2 12.

Another option would be to just put a good dirt pedal in front of your deville. I use a Bogner La Grange (Marshall in a box) in front of a dual showman head. Sounds fantastic. Very versatile and cleans up great with the volume knob. I used to play every song our and played with that one pedal and a volume knob.

I just got that DS-1 boss pedal. Gonna hook that up through the fender see what’s what. Thanks for the info 

Still looking for the light colored 1x12 Electradyne to pop up on Reverb at a decent price.

There’s also the Soldano Lucky 13. It’s a Twin and Marshall in the same box. It’ll run about $2k though.

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

There's a 2x12 Peavey Classic 50 on Craigslist in San Antonio. 

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/d/san-antonio-peavey-classic/7250677143.html

On 12/30/2020 at 1:26 PM, Buzzrock said:

That is the perfect amount of flame. Really pretty. 

This has been a question that has kept me up at night. I'd like to get a cherry burst heirloom Les Paul and have been looking for quite a while for one to jump out (kind of a lie because a shit ton have jumped out), but I'm torn. On the one hand, I want it to look classic which probably means it needs one of those shitty 50's tops. But then, I see one of the newer hyper flamed LP's and think this is what God intended all along.

fwydu1ise8usbatutt7h.thumb.jpg.754b70cf7f540b99bc10d9baf34253cd.jpg

Like, if Jesus said he wanted a guitar for his birthday I feel like during Christmas mass the Pope would present the above guitar, and He would see that it is good. I mean, come on, that thing looks like it was grown in a lab by combining Bodacious' semen and maple. 

But that doesn't completely scratch the insistent heirloom itch. It doesn't even try, really. So that would mean TWO cherry bursts (!) in the collection and I have my limits as to how many fuck you guitars I have hanging on the wall. (I don't think the soul can come back from two cherry burst Les Pauls. If anyone has done any research on that subject please DM me.)

So if not that, I'm left with plan A and just keep looking for the perfect classic Les Paul. Like this one:

pj1xwgdvkqyccgytlaqk.thumb.jpg.48a7792d45828357b7cd58e9f46749b4.jpg

Look at that gorgeously simple and classy top! THIS is American muscle. You wanna know how we won the war, look at that pic and tell me how we couldn't have.

Regardless, I will use my Trump Bucks for something foolish, that's a given. What isn't given is can I do without any flames at all or do I need aaaaaall the flames that ever were and ever will be.

Your boy might not be able to win this one.

I also came across a quilt...

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2