The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

21 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

This has been a question that has kept me up at night. I'd like to get a cherry burst heirloom Les Paul and have been looking for quite a while for one to jump out (kind of a lie because a shit ton have jumped out), but I'm torn. On the one hand, I want it to look classic which probably means it needs one of those shitty 50's tops. But then, I see one of the newer hyper flamed LP's and think this is what God intended all along.

fwydu1ise8usbatutt7h.thumb.jpg.754b70cf7f540b99bc10d9baf34253cd.jpg

Like, if Jesus said he wanted a guitar for his birthday I feel like during Christmas mass the Pope would present the above guitar, and He would see that it is good. I mean, come on, that thing looks like it was grown in a lab by combining Bodacious' semen and maple. 

But that doesn't completely scratch the insistent heirloom itch. It doesn't even try, really. So that would mean TWO cherry bursts (!) in the collection and I have my limits as to how many fuck you guitars I have hanging on the wall. (I don't think the soul can come back from two cherry burst Les Pauls. If anyone has done any research on that subject please DM me.)

So if not that, I'm left with plan A and just keep looking for the perfect classic Les Paul. Like this one:

pj1xwgdvkqyccgytlaqk.thumb.jpg.48a7792d45828357b7cd58e9f46749b4.jpg

Look at that gorgeously simple and classy top! THIS is American muscle. You wanna know how we won the war, look at that pic and tell me how we couldn't have.

Regardless, I will use my Trump Bucks for something foolish, that's a given. What isn't given is can I do without any flames at all or do I need aaaaaall the flames that ever were and ever will be.

Your boy might not be able to win this one.

I also came across a quilt...

Get the over the top flame. I like flashy tho. All are the correct answer tho. Buy the one you really want now. Then buy the one you kinda wanted later. After that buy the one you didn’t need but it’s a complete set

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Like, if Jesus said he wanted a guitar for his birthday I feel like during Christmas mass the Pope would present the above guitar, and He would see that it is good. I mean, come on, that thing looks like it was grown in a lab by combining Bodacious' semen and maple. 

He actually ended up pawning it at some shop way out near Alpine. Wound up at South Austin Music and I picked it up a few years back. Y'all have seen it.

image.thumb.png.f21122c13697f7ba82709a6075920cdb.png

notwithstanding that, which is perfect, I love the one linked upthread - it's cool when there's either just a bit of figuring on an otherwise plain top, or when you've got some cool mix of flame and almost quilty stuff like that. Super flamed one is cool, but is PRSesque (of course, I say that as a PRS owner).

I spent a long time drooling over the Les Paul on the cover of "The Complete Guitarist" as a younger celery. Someone should get one of those with the zebra pup

image.png.3e148dd2002610284f1d0c9e213ad9d5.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

And a hand cart. Those things are 6 pounds heavier than a Twin Reverb. 

the Matchless DC30 is a relative of the AC30. 80 pounds. Flight case is probably overkill for moving it a couple times a year (and adds another... I dunno 30 pounds?) but yeah. Moving that thing is a lot more fun when it rolls nice and smooth.

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

the Matchless DC30 is a relative of the AC30. 80 pounds. Flight case is probably overkill for moving it a couple times a year (and adds another... I dunno 30 pounds?) but yeah. Moving that thing is a lot more fun when it rolls nice and smooth.

I won’t be moving it much but want a 2x12 if I jam with a drummer. I’d put castors on it. I have a hot rod deville and that fucker is a load

I won’t be moving it much but want a 2x12 if I jam with a drummer. I’d put castors on it. I have a hot rod deville and that fucker is a load

Far be it from me to keep a man from his dream, but I jam with drummers with a Princeton 1x12 all the time. I have a Twin, and but for cleaning, I don’t think I’ve moved it in years. I love it, but it’s mostly decoration.

Ditto our lead singer. He has an AC30 AND a Twin. When we practice/play anywhere but his place he uses a Peavey Classic 1x12.

So you don’t really need a 2 x 12 to keep up with drummers.

You don't know heavy until you've schlepped a 140 lb Ampeg 8x10 cabinet up two flights of stairs.  The matching SVT head was no picnic at 85 lbs, either.

Fucking A, all of this. I love the way those Ampegs sound though. The V-4B is the way to go though. Slightly less heavy but very similar tone. But hey, if you’re carrying it and I have to play a stadium in 1971, SVT all the way!

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You don't know heavy until you've schlepped a 140 lb Ampeg 8x10 cabinet up two flights of stairs.  The matching SVT head was no picnic at 85 lbs, either.

Old bass player had that rig! We used to be a heavier (rage type) band. We gigged like 2 times a week and it was brutal! We called it the fridge. But that is the bass setup I want when I get into a new house build music room and get set up

58 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

I don’t know what are advantages of getting a 1x12 vs 2x12? Also they make a hand wired one that is white (sexy af) that is more $$. Anyone with out me doing all the research that may know the answers to the questions I seek can give me some quick pros/cons

To me, it's purely a weight issue.  Unless you're playing mid to large size dance halls, you really don't need a 2x12, unless you just really like a good leg/back workout.  And these days, house sound systems are so good if you just plug in/mic up a smaller amp you're good.  The times I've taken my Twin out to play, I rarely get it above 2.5 or 3.  For big places.  If I wanted to push it, I'd need to buy an attenuator.  Playing in the bedroom to practice?  Even at 1 it's pretty danged loud.  

For practicing in the garage with some John Bonham wannabe, maybe.  But like I said, even then, I've never had an issue cutting through with a Princeton and that's 1x10. 

This is a totally separate issue from, "that shit is fucking cool and I fucking want it."  Because, I get that and that's what this thread is about.  But if we're going to have a conversation about what's practical vs. what's cool, the practical application of a 2x12 is pretty large venues.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

To me, it's purely a weight issue.  Unless you're playing mid to large size dance halls, you really don't need a 2x12, unless you just really like a good leg/back workout.  And these days, house sound systems are so good if you just plug in/mic up a smaller amp you're good.  The times I've taken my Twin out to play, I rarely get it above 2.5 or 3.  For big places.  If I wanted to push it, I'd need to buy an attenuator.  Playing in the bedroom to practice?  Even at 1 it's pretty danged loud.  

For practicing in the garage with some John Bonham wannabe, maybe.  But like I said, even then, I've never had an issue cutting through with a Princeton and that's 1x10. 

This is a totally separate issue from, "that shit is fucking cool and I fucking want it."  Because, I get that and that's what this thread is about.  But if we're going to have a conversation about what's practical vs. what's cool, the practical application of a 2x12 is pretty large venues.  

I want the right rig. I like knowing I have a 2x12 because if I do play a decent venue I can use it. Also I want only buy what’s awesome because I want a bad ass collection. 

I have a hand wired, original black faced circuit Deluxe Reverb and I have the PCB re-issue of the same amp. Honestly, you can't hear much difference between them. The vintage one is cooler and easier to service, but tone-wise I'd carry the cheaper RI to a gig.

A lot if the newer new amps have multiple power out settings, my Marshall Origin 50 combo has Hi-Med-Low and I like it. We'll jam at my small place with bass and drums and I have it on low, sometimes medium if I feel like being obnoxious. Ive played shows with it on high. I can't say enough good things about that amp. I think its a 1x12" speaker.

• Like 1

I have a hand wired, original black faced circuit Deluxe Reverb and I have the PCB re-issue of the same amp. Honestly, you can't hear much difference between them. The vintage one is cooler and easier to service, but tone-wise I'd carry the cheaper RI to a gig.

A lot if the newer new amps have multiple power out settings, my Marshall Origin 50 combo has Hi-Med-Low and I like it. We'll jam at my small place with bass and drums and I have it on low, sometimes medium if I feel like being obnoxious. Ive played shows with it on high. I can't say enough good things about that amp. I think its a 1x12" speaker.

I am very tempted by the Origin 50. It’s a pretty inexpensive amp for what you get. I tried one out at GC over Christmas. I definitely get the appeal.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

If you need a 2x12 to be heard over a drummer, you don't need a new amp, you need a new drummer.

Huh?  Are we talking rock 'n roll?  I want a drummer who fucking hits the drums, not Art Blakey.  (No offense to Art Blakey.)

I play a 1 x 12 Vox Tony Bruno, and it struggled to cut through our (ex) drummer, who was a pretty proficient, hard-hitting rock 'n' roll drummer.  Not Grohl, but very solid and pretty loud.  Fortunately, my bandmate plays a 50 W Marshall JCM800 and so there was never a question about guitar volume, just mine.

I am very tempted by the Origin 50. It’s a pretty inexpensive amp for what you get. I tried one out at GC over Christmas. I definitely get the appeal.
You would not be disappointed. I bought it to be not as loud as my Plexi RI into a 1960 4x12, and it catches the Malcolm Young Gretsch/Marshall magic perfectly.

Then I discovered cleaning it up and plugging in a brIght Telecaster. Whatever I do next when this is over, that will be the sound. The "tilt" knob was a brilliant idea.

I never put my Matchless on the 30 watt setting the entire time I used it with a band. The dude from The Swellers borrowed it for one date on Warped Tour when he was having amp troubles and switched it to 30 watts. Plenty loud either way. Other guitarist had a Maz 18 with a single speaker. Both were always fine, I could see where it would be tougher without front of house sound.

15 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

So epiphone has a hummingbird 12 string acoustic. It’s $849. I want a 12 string but don’t want to break the bank but want to add only Awesome shit in my collection. How is the quality of the acoustic line they put out because that’s a lot for a epiphone 

From what I've looked at them, they have been doing a good job but they are hit and miss.  I've been looking at the Hummingbirds/J45s as well and the quality varies.  I played a new J200 Epi the other day and it was horrible.  Not so much in the playing or build quality but in the sound.  Others I've played have been very good.   And I played a Gibson J45 that had all kinds of quality problems with the frets.   Hell, Snider plays the Epi J200 and once he got more well known, Gibson gave him a couple but he sent them back.  Said he didn't like they way they played.    I'd definitely play it or get it from somewhere you can send back pretty easily.  

I have an Epi 339 that plays like a dream and only thing not great about it are the pickups.  But they are still pretty decent.  I know you are talking about acoustics though, but it is really a solid guitar that I payed less than $200 for.  

I've watched this thing over and over, trying to pull the trigger.  It's fairly recent.

Edited by hullabelew

I had a metal zone. I found it a couple years ago and opened up the battery compartment to fire it up. It had a lithium 9 volt in there, which we had a bunch of because they're used in medical equipment, which we needed for my mom until she died and then I put them into guitar pedals. Reflecting on that, it's metal af.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I had a metal zone. I found it a couple years ago and opened up the battery compartment to fire it up. It had a lithium 9 volt in there, which we had a bunch of because they're used in medical equipment, which we needed for my mom until she died and then I put them into guitar pedals. Reflecting on that, it's metal af.

This was the first distortion pedal I ever owned. Or pedal for that matter. I had a shit off market electric guitar pack I got for Christmas 7th grade. Parents probably got it from fuck Walmart or some shit. The guitar was a EPI and the head stock looked like a upside down banana. Anyway got that bad boy cause my best friend had one and I didn’t know shit about flowers. But yes it’s metal af! Love that shit. I gonna get a second pedal board and build it with pedals of my youth (metal zone, grunge pedal, big muff ect) 

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

From what I've looked at them, they have been doing a good job but they are hit and miss.  I've been looking at the Hummingbirds/J45s as well and the quality varies.  I played a new J200 Epi the other day and it was horrible.  Not so much in the playing or build quality but in the sound.  Others I've played have been very good.   And I played a Gibson J45 that had all kinds of quality problems with the frets.   Hell, Snider plays the Epi J200 and once he got more well known, Gibson gave him a couple but he sent them back.  Said he didn't like they way they played.    I'd definitely play it or get it from somewhere you can send back pretty easily.  

I have an Epi 339 that plays like a dream and only thing not great about it are the pickups.  But they are still pretty decent.  I know you are talking about acoustics though, but it is really a solid guitar that I payed less than $200 for.  

I've watched this thing over and over, trying to pull the trigger.  It's fairly recent.

Welp bad news I may have fractured my right wrist this morning carrying my daughter down the stairs. She’s 5 and I slipped carrying her down this morning for breakfast at like 6am. She was half asleep and I couldn’t see shit. I started falling forward but was like fuck that don’t want her to get hurt so I took the fall. She’s fine I’m not. Hope it’s a quick cast in and out with no therapy and shit Man. 4 days into 2021! Lol all good tho

• Hook 'Em 3