The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

That is an all star lineup on your wall. Wow.

I’ve been thinking about dumping all my cheap guitars and condensing down to a lineup like that.

Thanks, I agree I need a tele, also need a good acoustic.  That’s a $150 Takamine on the end.

My vision for my collection has always been a quality ES-335, LP, Strat, Tele and a high end acoustic. The Les Paul and Strat boxes are checked with what I have, but this ES-335 is on another level of quality, sound and craftsmanship.  I think I told @noharleyyet I’m afraid I might have invalidated all my other guitars.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

You think that, but there's always another. Always.

Probably, but I struggle to give attention to what I’ve got now.  I don’t see a lot of reason to have a guitar sitting in a case never getting played (I sold two perfectly good guitars to help pay for the ES-335).

More likely than acquiring many more, I’ll probably look at upgrading what I have.  Maybe that American Pro strat gets replaced with a custom shop strat.  Or the Les Paul with an R9 or R0.

The only thing I know for sure is this: I don’t ever want to be “done” and to never know again the childlike Christmas morning feeling of a NGD.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I love a beat up butterscotch blonde tele but sunburst with binding always reminds me that that is beautiful.

I saw some tweet or insta or whatever from Jason Isbell talking about how a Tele is like a speedo - nowhere to hide. Someone asked what the bathrobe was and he said 335. I need a 335.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That Chad fuck in your avatar would fuck with that....

33 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Definitely needs to be enshrined behind Chad plexiglas....

42 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

That Chad fuck in your avatar would fuck with that....

Are you saying I'm not who I purport to be?  

36 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Definitely needs to be enshrined behind Chad plexiglas....

Maybe that'll keep that crappy paint job from peeling, but I doubt it.  Seriously, I've seen first time shop students do a better job prepping and sealing.  For shame.  

But the thing that really gets me about it is you know some dude out there thinks this this thing is the shit and he's probably been counting on selling it at top dollar to buy a new Waverunner or vintage Iroc-Z.  

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Maybe that'll keep that crappy paint job from peeling, but I doubt it.  Seriously, I've seen first time shop students do a better job prepping and sealing.  For shame.  

But the thing that really gets me about it is you know some dude out there thinks this this thing is the shit and he's probably been counting on selling it at top dollar to buy a new Waverunner or vintage Iroc-Z.  

Is that pic you?? If so AMERICA FUCK YEAH!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Deej said:

I have been ignoring my Epi 339 for a bit. Pulled it off the wall for the first time in six months. It was still perfectly in tune. How does that happen? The best $270 guitar I ever bought. 

All Guitars are different even the same model. I played my LP Traditional honey burst at a mom and pop store feel in love. Played the same guitar at Guitar Center and it wasn’t in the same playing field. You got a good one. Now love it more and play it off the wall she deserves it 

34 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

All Guitars are different even the same model. I played my LP Traditional honey burst at a mom and pop store feel in love. Played the same guitar at Guitar Center and it wasn’t in the same playing field. You got a good one. Now love it more and play it off the wall she deserves it 

Yeah, when I bought my Taylor 3 series dreadnought acoustic I had a budget probably twice as high as I ended up paying.  I played every Taylor at Guitar Resurrection up to about $2,500 and the $1,100 3 series won the day.

Ok, video question for you guys: I’m looking for a way to set up some sort of camera to record our gigs. Not for publishing purposes, just for review purposes - ie for me to look at and figure out what we need to improve on or change or whatever.

Question is, how to do it? I’m thinking some sort of digital camera on a tripod or other mount that I can stick in an out of the way place, turn on, and come back and get it 3-4 hours later when we’re finished.

Any ideas on this? GoPro maybe? I have zero knowledge on how a GoPro would work.

On 2/1/2021 at 3:13 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Doubt that last bit since the seller appears to be in Yorkshire, UK. 

What is the current default trick for keeping the little flat round knob from falling off the pickup selector switch of a Telecaster? I think I used to do it with a little sliver of paper, but that was decades ago, in the previous millennium before we flying cars and moving sidewalks became commonplace.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:23 AM, Bogeywon said:

Yup, to this day, I still regret not buying the Takamine Jumbo guitar that I played at a Sam Ash while waiting for my wife do her shopping. It was so memorable that I still think about it 7 years later...

One of my friends had a Taylor that played and sounded like a dream. I lost touch with him for a while, and during that time he sold it to buy a few Collins guitars. Wish I had stayed in touch because I would have traded my car for that guitar.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

What is the current default trick for keeping the little flat round knob from falling off the pickup selector switch of a Telecaster? I think I used to do it with a little sliver of paper, but that was decades ago, in the previous millennium before we flying cars and moving sidewalks became commonplace.

Here's more than a few ideas:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-to-keep-a-switch-tip-from-falling-off.199721/

A few years ago I bought that 90s Epiphone Les Paul Jr, singe cut variet, for 50 or 60 bucks, which ended up being a surprisingly good guitar. It had dice control knobs that look like they were re-painted black, and apparently were glued on. I can't get them bastards off for anything, but I really don't mind that much. The dice give it some character. But I was thinking about getting vintagy looking knobs or maybe upgrading with new pots at some point, so that's a bit of a problem.

I bought that guitar with the intention of bastardizing it and painting it for fun, but I ended up really liking the feel of it and the p90 pickups, so I left it alone.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, DougO said:

A few years ago I bought that 90s Epiphone Les Paul Jr, singe cut variet, for 50 or 60 bucks, which ended up being a surprisingly good guitar. It had dice control knobs that look like they were re-painted black, and apparently were glued on. I can't get them bastards off for anything, but I really don't mind that much. The dice give it some character. But I was thinking about getting vintagy looking knobs or maybe upgrading with new pots at some point, so that's a bit of a problem.

I bought that guitar with the intention of bastardizing it and painting it for fun, but I ended up really liking the feel of it and the p90 pickups, so I left it alone.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this.  Perhaps you should take a pic.

I have a chance to buy a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 head. It’s my good friends guitar player. He’s in he’s 60s and never fully knew how to dial it in so he never uses it. I’m not sure what year yet but the thing looks MINT! How much should I offer him. I want to be fair 

• Hook 'Em 1