The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've been fighting with my image hosting account, so I'm getting caught up on replying to the last two pages of this thread.

Specifically...

When considering "who's a douche?" we need to agree on some kind of talent vs ego ratio.  Consider Prince.  He strutted, he sassed, and (at least in the person he presented publicly), he was a self-absorbed narcissist with an ego the size of Cleveland.  But he was also among the most musically gifted writers, performers, singers, and instrumentalists of the last 50 years. 

Thus, (read this in your Maury Povich voice), "Prince, you are NOT a douche."

Lots of rock stars in that group, I'd argue.  Jimmy Page, Elton John, Chuck Berry.  They might have been arrogant assholes, especially at the height of their stardom (though two of those three examples found contrition and humility in their later decades).  But I don't think that being an asshole is the same thing as being a douche.

It's like Dizzy Dean said:  "It ain't bragging if you can do it."

Lindsey Buckingham is a unique rock guitarist and a phenomenal talent who wrote and produced brilliant music.  Not a douche.  I will die on this hill.

So where should we draw the line?    Neil Schon ("You ARE a douche.")

Paul alluded to the ways a prickly artist can escape the douchebag label -- they have to bring it on all fronts.  That's why people put Bonamassa on Mount Douchmore.  He doesn't write well, he doesn't exhibit much soul in his playing, he has terrible stage presence, and he's a robot.

Buckingham suffers none of those criticisms.  He's a gifted writer, a brilliant player, he has a commanding presence, and he's an iconoclast to boot.  He operates out of the normal guitar god sphere.

I find Satriani's music painful to listen to, and his look and approach to his career laughable.  He is easily in the running for me.  Too bad he's apparently a nice guy, he still comes across as a complete weasel.  Same with Jack White, and ironically a very good friend of mine is quite close with Jack and he swears I'm off base.  Sorry, I just go by what I see and hear.  Doesn't work for me.  Can I play like that?  Hell no.  Those who can't, criticize.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Yeah. Only issue is with the roasted maple, Fender won't let you choose a neck profile. You get what you get. "Each one is different." 

If it is anything like their bass necks, they are all the same profile shape (deep C, '62 C etc). The kiln roasting process may end up altering it a bit from the original cut (each one is different disclaimer), but it will still be a deep C. You are right that they won't let you pick a modern C or C to D shape. 

If you do decide to get one, sign up for the annual membership of Fender Play. You get 10% off all Fender products as a member. It will save you more than the cost of the membership even if you never use the lessons. 

I've been sitting on this one for a while. But I already have a couple of P-basses and kinda want to get a Thunderbird in the stable.  

Daphne Blue, Roasted neck and '63 pickups. 

B6FF822B-026C-4A0A-9D4D-13269737F2DB_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I'm very happy with the True Tone Hot Classics TR2 in this one; and equally happy with the Fender Pure Vintage set i put in my other one. 49153aedae0cff217e3b32d021f9caad.jpg

One option is the Pure '58 pickups. Those the same ones you have? I like what I hear in clips. 

One option is the Pure '58 pickups. Those the same ones you have? I like what I hear in clips. 
I put these in my Butternut Deluxe Tele and they are exactly what I was looking for. Bright, punchy, twangy.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/0992234000--fender-pure-vintage-64-telecaster-pickup-set

While shopping for them, I read about the Tone Rider Hot Classics. Highly rated at a fraction of the cost. Part of the drive to build the pink Tele was to have something to put them in. They definitely deliver. Especially the bridge, the neck is not quite as full and creamy as the Pure Vintage, but definitely not weak.

https://tonerider.com/product/hot-classics/?v=7516fd43adaa

Pedal Question but posting here. Because I wanna.

I have an MXR Super Bad Ass Distortion and want to replace it. It is noisy AF. Sounds like it has an air hose leak. What other distortion pedals are we using?

I'm not looking for any super high gain stuff. Just want something for dirt at lower volumes.

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I have an MXR Super Bad Ass Distortion and want to replace it. It is noisy AF. Sounds like it has an air hose leak. What other distortion pedals are we using?

I'm not looking for any super high gain stuff. Just want something for dirt at lower volumes.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

So are those Toneriders just a good value or do they really compete with the top offerings by the big boys?  I'll order a set even though I'm not building anything at the moment if they're legit.
They are an extremely good value and do compete with the big boys very well.

That said, I just spent a little time with both thinking I'd record samples, but before getting that far I can say this; if was gonna record a record I'd use the Pure Vintage 64's over the Hot Classics Both are bright, chimey, vintage Telecaster sounding, but the Fender set has more headroom, power, body, and definition. The Tone Riders get pretty close in the bridge, but its not as close on the neck.

Thats for me, and your ears are way better than mine.

$50 bucks is $50 bucks, but in the grand scheme; whats $50 bucks?

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

$50 bucks is $50 bucks, but in the grand scheme; whats $50 bucks?

Yeah, that's the key.  I don't think it's worth it to skimp on pickups for a one-off build.  I want to build a "traditional" Tele but with hot Texas-style pickups.  Might as well find the best ones out there.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the key.  I don't think it's worth it to skimp on pickups for a one-off build.  I want to build a "traditional" Tele but with hot Texas-style pickups.  Might as well find the best ones out there.
Ya, in the recording studio thread you guys convinced me to spend $500 on a mic. That was money well spent. Im getting a lot of use from that RE 20. This pink Warmothcaster is great, maybe I need to consider upgrading the pickups.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I dig my Bogner Lagrange

38 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
4 hours ago, Deej said:
The Alnico 5 bridge pickup in the 60's double bound Classic Vibe I had was the best sounding neck pup I've ever played. I should have swapped it out before selling it.

Interesting. The Fender Pure Vintage is Alnico 5, The Tone Rider is Alnico III.

It was this neck pickup.

https://tonerider.com/product/vintage-plus/?v=7516fd43adaa

The 50's Classic Vibe had the Tonerider Hot Classics with the Alnico III. I put one of those in the bridge to go with the V in the neck. It was a really good combo. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Crap.  I didn't know that Tele is MiM.  I don't know about paying $1,500 for a MiM guitar.

Get used to it. Fender raised prices across the board. Most stuff in the $700-2000 range got a $100-$200 bump in price. 

The Brad Paisley Road Worn was $1299. This is that level of guitar. $200 bump. 

What's the difference between a Made in America Fender and a Made in Mexico one?

About 60 miles. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, Paul Wesley said:

I've been fighting with my image hosting account...

I pretty much hate specialty image hosts. I would recommend getting a cheap domain and web host with free SSL certification and upload your pics in folders where you can do what you want with them. The major advantage is if you know your web address, the name of the folder and the name you gave the file you don't need to go to the site every time and copy and paste some random ass file name to post  pic here or elsewhere. It's probably cheaper, too. It's just not made for easy retail sales of prints and such.

I guess Ted Nugent is low on funds. Just stumbled across this upcoming auction. Pg 2 seems to have the bulk of the guitar highlights. The rest of it is mostly guns and bows. A few vehicles and several costumes.

Notable to me are the 56 Strat and a 59 LP, a 58 too.

Also contains the stage backdrop of empty speaker cabs.

https://www.icollector.com/auction.aspx?as=71090&p=214a551938a791a68d0884f158f238011.jpg