The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Anyone ever try a G&L Tribute ASAT Junior II ? Tele shape, mahogany body, stop tail and P90s. This checks all the right boxes.

I spec'ed it out on Warmoth, and it'll be about $900 to build. Guitar Center sells for $469.

I've *kinda* wanted something like this I saw a Potvin Ranchero many years ago. *Kinda* as in I can't justify with the wife since I haven't played my Tele or S-500 much since Covid. 

image.png.f9a08f749f761b29d1778304e62ae2a3.pngimage.png.66694aa07fef5a0e46d364735a759d33.png

But then again, she got herself a new Tesla and spend oodles on her hair... 

56 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Anyone ever try a G&L Tribute ASAT Junior II ? Tele shape, mahogany body, stop tail and P90s. This checks all the right boxes.

I spec'ed it out on Warmoth, and it'll be about $900 to build. Guitar Center sells for $469.

I've *kinda* wanted something like this I saw a Potvin Ranchero many years ago. *Kinda* as in I can't justify with the wife since I haven't played my Tele or S-500 much since Covid. 

image.png.f9a08f749f761b29d1778304e62ae2a3.pngimage.png.66694aa07fef5a0e46d364735a759d33.png

But then again, she got herself a new Tesla and spend oodles on her hair... 

She gotta Tesla?  Sheeeeeitt.  Go whole hog and buy the Fender version: https://reverb.com/item/38584540-fender-custom-shop-tele-jr

stzcjiycayp6xeoyctrq.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Anyone ever try a G&L Tribute ASAT Junior II ?

I don't own that particular guitar, but I do own a Tribute ASAT Bluesboy, which is a semihollow Tele.  It is probably my favorite guitar I've ever owned, which includes multiple Fender American Standards and a few Warmoth builds.   It just sings.  I don't think you can really top them for the money.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't own that particular guitar, but I do own a Tribute ASAT Bluesboy, which is a semihollow Tele.  It is probably my favorite guitar I've ever owned, which includes multiple Fender American Standards and a few Warmoth builds.   It just sings.  I don't think you can really top them for the money.

How's the nut on the Bluesboy?

I love the my Tribute S-500 - heavy ass mahogany body and MFD pickups, but it goes out of tune when I use the whammy. On my Tele, I play 10s, and have stepped down to 9s on the S-500, but it still binds every so often. Graphite in the nut slot doesn't help.

6 minutes ago, Superhero said:

How's the nut on the Bluesboy?

I love the my Tribute S-500 - heavy ass mahogany body and MFD pickups, but it goes out of tune when I use the whammy. On my Tele, I play 10s, and have stepped down to 9s on the S-500, but it still binds every so often. Graphite in the nut slot doesn't help.

No issues whatsoever.  Maybe I got lucky, but in my opinion they are superb guitars.  Sample size = 1.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

In fact, now that I think about it, I might grab one of those Junior II's.  Somebody talk me into P90 pickups, I've never owned a guitar with P90s.  How do they differ from humbuckers and standard single coils?

You need a P-90 guitar.  I did not know I needed one until I got my R6 LP.  Then I played a friend's ES-330, now I want more.  Less quacky than a strat style single coil, more bite.  If that makes any sense.  They aren't anything like a hum bucker, because they still have the hum.  Listen to Freddie King's "Hideaway"  or any Howlin' Wolf with Hubert Sumlin on lead, and you'll know what they're all about.  The solo at :53 below is what it's all about.  I played once with Jim Heath, and he had a P-90 ES-175 that may be the best arch top I ever played.  He said it was one of his main recording guitars, but he couldn't take it on the road because in some houses the P-90s didn't agree with the house electronics.  Don't know if that's so, but I believe he believed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Took a small trip to Salida, CO today and stopped in at Rocky Mountain Guitar Company.  Its just a little custom shop, where the proprietor builds high-end boutique acoustics to order.  They also apparently sell cigars?  I got to play three guitars he had on the rack, one was a build for a customer in San Antonio that was made of mesquite wood that the customer sent in.  The guitars were gorgeous and played and sounded really nice, but I don't have enough time playing high end acoustics like Martins, Gibsons or Taylors to know how these compare.  Was still fun just to ogle some pretty guitars.  I am slightly intrigued by his two week make your own acoustic luthier workshop, but I don't have the time and am afraid I would wind up with a shitty guitar and a bunch of woodworking skills I'd never use again.

BC0257-BC-1-D58-47-AB-A0-D7-C2-B6-CA60-D

F4-F3-C4-F5-F1-CE-4423-AED2-29-E9-E15129

243840-E6-FB66-4677-B739-911-EF8-E3-C691

41-CA1-F49-D580-4-F3-C-8-B74-D0-E8-BF270

Mesquite?
37222-E87-6-E21-445-A-8640-0-F239-E7-ADA

53144-CD8-75-D9-4269-A7-E4-AF375135-F918

A6024260-249-C-4201-B284-D70-DF0-D8-E0-F

80143084-06-AA-4-D06-8868-1-CDAFB4-F8750

9-AF0830-E-A725-436-C-8-A41-9-FB1-F1147-

1989501-D-940-E-4-F49-8-CB6-2-CCE099416-

Aspen leaf inlays
EEEA0496-5708-4-A5-E-9050-3707-DB13835-E

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Got me an acoustic today.  More of a f*ck around everyday player until I get what I really want.  Damn it sounds good.

https://www.americanmusical.com/guild-d240e-acoustic-electric-guitar/p/GUI-D240E-LIST

My jumbo is a Guild.  I absolutely love it.  I don't know how it compares to that dreadnought, but I wouldn't worry too much.

• Hook 'Em 1

literally copying this link when you posted deej

i always wanted a telesonic

also cause maybe people are like "who is jim adkins?" - dude from Jimmy Eat World. That is a band that has aged with me well. There are bands that I loved when I was a teenager, especially in that broader genre, who make me cringe a bit now. Jimmy Eat World wasn't one of my big number one bands but I liked them (especially Clarity and Static Prevails), and I've revisited their catalog and I like it maybe now more than I did before. Good fucking band. I was just listening to A Praise Chorus earlier today.

loved this song. i found it on napster and had it on a minidisk

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

literally copying this link when you posted deej

i always wanted a telesonic

also cause maybe people are like "who is jim adkins?" - dude from Jimmy Eat World. That is a band that has aged with me well. There are bands that I loved when I was a teenager, especially in that broader genre, who make me cringe a bit now. Jimmy Eat World wasn't one of my big number one bands but I liked them (especially Clarity and Static Prevails), and I've revisited their catalog and I like it maybe now more than I did before. Good fucking band. I was just listening to A Praise Chorus earlier today.

loved this song. i found it on napster and had it on a minidisk

I haven't looked lately, but before COVID you could regularly find those used for 500 bucks. Wish I had grabbed one. 

So we got the first cuts back from the studio tonight. Turns out, performing for a recording is different than performing in a bar. They’re pretty rough around the edges in some spots.

Not sure if this will work but I’ll try to post a couple

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r91wkxpg1cnp815/Love%20Me%20Like%20A%20Man.mp3?dl=0

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

You're being too hard on yourself.  Is it squeaky clean? No.  Does it get the point across?  Absolutely.

I don't know how you tracked it, but if I were there and I had a say, I'd have suggested that you track it live without a click.  The top of the tune sounds like there might be a little fighting against a click.  Ultimately, it's a really good guitarist and a really good singer, so . . . there you go.

So we got the first cuts back from the studio tonight. Turns out, performing for a recording is different than performing in a bar. They’re pretty rough around the edges in some spots.

Not sure if this will work but I’ll try to post a couple

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r91wkxpg1cnp815/Love%20Me%20Like%20A%20Man.mp3?dl=0

Because bars are where we go to forget our mistakes.
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

He who dares, wins.

To follow up on this, my Dad and his best friend played music together since their teens.  This friend had an early 60s Gibson Country Western Model that I lusted after and still do (It was later re-released as the Sheryl Crow Model - see pic below).  This friend had a job as a meter reader, and ran across someone who knew he played guitar, and said he had an old one under the bed, would he be interested?  Turned out, it was the earlier version of the Country Western (a 1962 to be exact).  It was $800, which was a lot of money back in the early 90s, but still a fair price for the guitar and perhaps a little less than market.  He bought it then and there, called my Dad, and it was mine for Christmas (and a lot of lawn mowings).  So it's worth a shot. My Dad's friend's model:

Gibson-Sheryl-Crow-1024x576.png

vs the one I got:

gibson-sj-country-western-1956-cons-full

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

50 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

To follow up on this, my Dad and his best friend played music together since their teens.  This friend had an early 60s Gibson Country Western Model that I lusted after and still do (It was later re-released as the Sheryl Crow Model - see pic below).  This friend had a job as a meter reader, and ran across someone who knew he played guitar, and said he had an old one under the bed, would he be interested?  Turned out, it was the earlier version of the Country Western (a 1962 to be exact).  It was $800, which was a lot of money back in the early 90s, but still a fair price for the guitar and perhaps a little less than market.  He bought it then and there, called my Dad, and it was mine for Christmas (and a lot of lawn mowings).  So it's worth a shot. My Dad's friend's model:

Gibson-Sheryl-Crow-1024x576.png

vs the one I got:

gibson-sj-country-western-1956-cons-full

Cool story, and gorgeous guitar.  It’s a good thing we don’t know each other, I might shank you for it.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Cool story, and gorgeous guitar.  It’s a good thing we don’t know each other, I might shank you for it.

I have to say, it sure is pretty, and sounds like nothing else, but even with a good set up, it's a bit of a bear to play.  The string tension is quite tight for some reason.  I should probably put some thinner strings on it, but then it doesn't  get that booming chucka-chucka that I like so much about it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

You're being too hard on yourself.  Is it squeaky clean? No.  Does it get the point across?  Absolutely.
I don't know how you tracked it, but if I were there and I had a say, I'd have suggested that you track it live without a click.  The top of the tune sounds like there might be a little fighting against a click.  Ultimately, it's a really good guitarist and a really good singer, so . . . there you go.

Thanks man. We actually did them all live. I think probably what you are hearing is me just being an iffy drummer early in the song, which is pretty common.

Here’s another one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9ylt2zkpex9t7p/Gold%20Dust%20Woman.mp3?dl=0
  • Hook 'Em 2

Celery has my perfect LP.  But this one is more of a player than a collector, so I won't feel bad modding it if I want as it's already be modded a little.  Hell of a deal.  And I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get my money back on it if it turns out not to be the one.

I really like these recordings.  Your voices blend well, and hers has a burnished quality to it that can't be bought.  Nice job, man.

Definitely appreciate your input. And yes, it’s way cool playing with someone who can sing that well. Sometimes though people do have to sit through me singing to get to her.

I’ll post the rest of them in the covers thread if you are interested. Mr Fuck just seriously realigned this thread.

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Definitely appreciate your input. And yes, it’s way cool playing with someone who can sing that well. Sometimes though people do have to sit through me singing to get to her.

I’ll post the rest of them in the covers thread if you are interested. Mr Fuck just seriously realigned this thread.

Sorry man, I love your recordings.  Not trying to take any thunder.  I just couldn't wait to tell you guys.

What god do you worship?

I have a friend I’ve been playing music and checking out guitars with since 6th grade. He’s like a savant. I think he’s on the spectrum. First he traded records until he built his perfect collection. He got tired of that and now he’s doing guitars. I’ve posted pics of his stuff here before. Anyhow, when he says, “You want in on this deal?” I jump. Hoping he gets into real estate eventually. He just has the knack to find and make deals.
  • Hook 'Em 1