The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

I have a friend I’ve been playing music and checking out guitars with since 6th grade. He’s like a savant. I think he’s on the spectrum. First he traded records until he built his perfect collection. He got tired of that and now he’s doing guitars. I’ve posted pics of his stuff here before. Anyhow, when he says, “You want in on this deal?” I jump. Hoping he gets into real estate eventually. He just has the knack to find and make deals.

BZZZZT!  Correct answer was Jimmy Page.

• Like 1

s-l1600.jpg
this one is yours right? Man that's a good one. A fucking good one. I would love to see how the burst looks as you move the guitar around in the light. I love the grain + the flame. Badass. You should put some klusons on it though.

Thanks Celery. Original Klusons come with it. I’ll see how I like the Grovers before making any changes. I mean, if they were good enough for Jimmy...
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Goredho said:

BZZZZT!  Correct answer was Jimmy Page.

"If I played guitar, I'd be Jimmy Page. The girlies I like are......." Well, this song did not age well.

Seriously, that is an amazing guitar Chad. I think you go the better of the two by far. We will need a lot of NGD pics once it arrives. 

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Whats the details on this one Chad? Sure is a good looker.

2001 Gibson Custom Shop R8.  So it has the fatter neck.  It has Grovers instead of original Klusons and has "new pots."  Not sure what "new pots" means specifically - but it doesn't really matter because all the original bits come with it.  I'm pondering dropping a Jimmy Page wiring harness into it anyhow, as that's a fairly inexpensive mod.  But it may be that's what "new pots" means.  I don't know, but the guy was auctioning off the two LPs for way less than you could get them individually. And my buddy is going to pick them up in person for cash.  So we avoided tax and shipping which was not insignificant.  That's what sold me on the deal. I wasn't in the market for a retail LP right now.  But one that's something like $5-600 cheaper than I can find anywhere else?  And it already has the depreciation taken off of it for modding, but comes with all the original bits and case candy?  Man, that was just too good not to take the chance.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Just now, AnotherUTFan said:

Mine's a 2014 R8. I love the fat neck so much amI built a Twlecaster with a similar one. Congrats. Can't wait to hear your review.

Reminds me, I need to take mine out. Its been a minute.

Post pics when you do.  Refresh our recollection.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How does a guy named Chad Fuck own a LP but not a Marshall?  That ain't right, man.

Two LPs and one on the way.  Can't wait to take that family portrait.  What can I say?  Life takes us down crazy paths.  

Up until now I've always played Fender amps and put pedals in front of them.  But some talk about Mesas (specifically the Electrodyne) on one of the other threads, has me on the look out for a good one.  But they're quite expensive.  And every time I start thinking about new amps...seems like a guitar deal I can't pass up happens.  

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Looks strung correctly to me.

There's this whole this side/that side thing in the LP world about stringing straight through the tailpiece, or wrapped around the tailpiece.  Last time I took my R6 to get set up, the fella did the over the tailpiece method.  It seems easier to bend now.  Maybe that's just me.  My Custom, taken to a different luthier, is set up with the straight through method and seems not noticeably different.  

Anyhow, while you're pondering that, I found this while looking to see whether Jimmy Page did the over or through method.  Pretty interesting article.  One day I hope to have such problems.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/1959-gibson-les-paul-guitar-real-or-fake-jimmy-page-slash-cheap-trick-nashville-11594412649

I take it you're an around the tailpiece guy?  

Yep. I wasn’t until I was. Has a better feel to me. My setup guy says better angle to the bridge that way. That’s why it bends easier.

Re: the electradyne, I love mine. Best amp I’ve ever played straight through. Needs no pedals to my ear. I bought a head off Reverb actually from the Mesa store on Sunset blvd for like $800. Bargain compared to what one could spend on amps these days. It is loud AF though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Yep. I wasn’t until I was. Has a better feel to me.

Re: the electradyne, I love mine. Best amp I’ve ever played straight through. Needs no pedals to my ear. I bought a head off Reverb actually from the Mesa store on Sunset blvd for like $800. Bargain compared to what one could spend on amps these days. It is loud AF though.

I saw a 1x12 for $800 and I balked.  $800 for a 1x12?  Then I haven't seen one since for less than $1200.  Haven't been playing a lot of guitar gigs lately, so I haven't been overly motivated to freshen up or get a new rig.  Though apparently that doesn't stop me from buying guitars?

Couple on reverb now for $1,100.

I went with the head which was harder to find because combos are too heavy. Plus I can use various heads with one cabinet.

If you can ever find a studio .22 caliber + head with the 5 band eq, I’d highly recommend that too. I have one and it’s awesome. 22 watts. Still loud af but very easy to carry. I just use the clean side with pedals.

• Hook 'Em 2

I wrapped my around the tail piece on my Les Paul years ago, but there's not big enough difference to do the same to my other Gibsons, and not enough to swap it back on the LP.

The break angle will effect how the strings feel, ie bendiness, but you can adjust that more precisely stringing through the stop piece normally and adjusting the height with the big screws on either end of the stop bar; that's why they are screws.

Billy Gibbons claims more tone with the stop screwed all the way down against the body, requiring the wrap - but my ears don't hear it.

None of the experts at Gibson over all these years have seen enough benefit in the wrap technique to ship them that way.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Speaking of stringing, I love Fender split-shaft tuners. Easiest things to string ever.

I discovered they make three-on-a-side split-shafts. Some more research and my Gibby may be getting new tuners. 

I used these on two of my Warmoth projects.  I like them better than the split shafts, especially for guitars with tremolos. 

gotoh-locking-vintage-oval-knob-6-in-lin

gotoh-locking-vintage-oval-knob-6-in-lin

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/solid-peghead-guitar-tuning-machines/gotoh-locking-vintage-oval-knob-6-in-line-tuners.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2021-03-gp&gclid=CjwKCAiA4rGCBhAQEiwAelVti_OQqzkW05wRtL5fi8_y56WtzQ4uG_pN58kXcuTpbBy2i2c1eRfC1RoCfYEQAvD_BwE

If you have a quarter, you can just open it up, shove the string in and you're done.  If you're fancy, you clip the ends.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I have 2 2/12 cabs. 1 open and 1 closed - same speakers in both. Honestly the only difference I can tell is the closed sounds a little tighter with a high power head (like my dual showman). But it’s really close to a push. Every combination I have sounds great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Me and tbone leading parallel lives.  I also have 2 2x12 cabinets.  One open (the 65amps one with the blue badge and two different speakers) and a closed Orange 2x12.  I agree that the difference between open and closed is subtle.  It's a more subtle difference than you'd assume from listening and reading other guitarists talk about cabinet preference. 

I have shot them out side-by-side in the studio, and the closed-back Orange wins (tighter) on aggressive high-gain stuff.  Otherwise, I prefer the open back.  If I had to pick one, it would be the open-back cabinet, and it would be a very easy choice.

It's a lot less money and space to buy heads than combos.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mine are within a few pounds of each other - the open backed on is actually heavier, but it has a handle on the top... so an easy one-arm carry.  The Orange cabinet has recessed handles on the sides, so you definitely need two arms, and you have to lift it almost to chest height to move it around.   

Couple on reverb now for $1,100.

I went with the head which was harder to find because combos are too heavy. Plus I can use various heads with one cabinet.

If you can ever find a studio .22 caliber + head with the 5 band eq, I’d highly recommend that too. I have one and it’s awesome. 22 watts. Still loud af but very easy to carry. I just use the clean side with pedals.

I think I mentioned before, I played through another guys 22 caliber at a jam once. That was a great little amp. That one was a combo. A nice clean channel and an aggressive gain channel. I used both.

I'd do the head, small cab thing but so many of my amps are vintage combos. My place is overrun with them. I have to keep some of it in the practice space. In fact, thats all I really use that space for these days. I should get real and start calling it what it is, storage space.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I think I mentioned before, I played through another guys 22 caliber at a jam once. That was a great little amp. That one was a combo. A nice clean channel and an aggressive gain channel. I used both.

I'd do the head, small cab thing but so many of my amps are vintage combos. My place is overrun with them. I have to keep some of it in the practice space. In fact, thats all I really use that space for these days. I should get real and start calling it what it is, storage space.

But how can you practice with them if they aren't there?

214as0.jpg

BTW, it seems upon reading many Mesa descriptions this Sunday afternoon, they are the TexMex food of amps.  That is, where Tex Mex is essentially tortilla/beans/rice/meat mixed and served in different fashions, the Mesa is Fender/Vox/Marshall sound mixed and served in different fashions.   Like I was first looking at the Electradyne, then the Trans Atlantic, then the Lone Star, then the Filmore....and my sense is they all do pretty much the same thing, just in slightly different fashions.  I didn't look at any that did the dual rectifier thing becuase I just don't need a metal amp (now at least).  Am I reading it correctly?

I think so. The best way I know to explain it is that every mesa I’ve played (owned a recto, .22, electradyne, played Lone star and Mark V) have something to their sound that is uniquely Mesa. Even though they all do different things they still all have this common Mesa dna if that makes sense.

They’ve all sounded great to me. I think that’s the reason I like the electradyne so much is it’s a mesa’ized version of a twin and a hot rodded Marshall, which are pretty cool combinations.

4 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

You chose wisely. That quilt pattern will take your breath away. Very well done. Can you share the year?

That's high praise coming from you Scooter.  

2001 Gibson Custom Shop R8

As to the choice, there really wasn't much to it.  My buddy just said, "I want the one on the left, you want the one on the right?"  He seems to like the late 70s/early 80s Gibsons.  I have an '82 LP Custom (the first guitar I paid for with my own sweat) and it's a great guitar.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  But I think both Fender and Gibson are putting out as fine of guitars today as they ever have.  Sure, they don't have the mojo of 70 years patina - at least, the non-relic'd ones don't - but they great instruments.  I think he likes the allure of old.  But come to think of it, while 2001 doesn't seem that long ago to me, it is a while in guitar years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I think so. The best way I know to explain it is that every mesa I’ve played (owned a recto, .22, electradyne, played Lone star and Mark V) have something to their sound that is uniquely Mesa. Even though they all do different things they still all have this common Mesa dna if that makes sense.

They’ve all sounded great to me. I think that’s the reason I like the electradyne so much is it’s a mesa’ized version of a twin and a hot rodded Marshall, which are pretty cool combinations.

i have a single rec head over a Marshall 1960a and the tone I get gives me a boner. Also run it through my new orange 2x12 cab. Both vintage 30s. I bought the head in the early 2000s when I worked at GC. Got it used for like $150 and the 1960a used for $75. I bought them both for the store and the way the discount worked was we got everything at cost. Best purchases I’ve ever made

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Post pics when you do.  Refresh our recollection.  
Made it home this morning and took it out for the 1st time in a while. Ill think ill restring and plug into the Marshall O50 today.

All this Les Paul talk got me thinking about the friend's R8 that drove me to buy mine. I believe his is from 2001 like the one Chad's getting. Anyway, I texted him to confirm the year this morning and he responded that he's considering selling it - thats his way of justifying new gear now that's he's retired - and that I'm 1st on the list per our longstanding agreement.

I guess I have decision time coming up soon. Its a good one.

1st pic is from the day I got mine in 2014. The other is from this morning.

a07440aa87bd5224a6df2ea72de3a103.jpgabca57e7225d0453e5e3582fb36d8a11.jpg

Edit - confirmed his is from 2001 SN 8-1399 - 399th R8 built in 2001. It'll be interesting to see the SN on yours Chad.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1