The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Made it home this morning and took it out for the 1st time in a while. Ill think ill restring and plug into the Marshall O50 today.

All this Les Paul talk got me thinking about the friend's R8 that drove me to buy mine. I believe his is from 2001 like the one Chad's getting. Anyway, I texted him to confirm the year this morning and he responded that he's considering selling it - thats his way of justifying new gear now that's he's retired - and that I'm 1st on the list per our longstanding agreement.

I guess I have decision time coming up soon. Its a good one.

1st pic is from the day I got mine in 2014. The other is from this morning.

a07440aa87bd5224a6df2ea72de3a103.jpgabca57e7225d0453e5e3582fb36d8a11.jpg

Edit - confirmed his is from 2001 SN 8-1399 - 399th R8 built in 2001. It'll be interesting to see the SN on yours Chad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Man, those are some gorgeous guitars.  Thanks for posting these!

• Like 1

Here's a good thread from the My Les Paul forum on dating these that my friend emailed me this morning. BTW, the Peter Green lick video is worth the 10 minutes.

I think yours is the 1,183rd built in 2001.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/les-paul-r8-serial-number-dating.187164/

BTW, I plugged mine in later this morning and it was still in tune. Hasn't been out of its bag in 9 months at least and ready to go! I think its the big fat neck.

• Hook 'Em 1

On the "Gibson doesn't ship the guitars with the strings wrapped around the bridges" point in that discussion, I was going to suggest "try dating a les paul based on serial number" as an activity to glean insight into how purposeful Gibson is about anything at all in particular

(i string my guitars normally but keep meaning to try the strings wrapped on my les paul)

this one was fun (also I had to check what the fuck scuff was on my headstock - it’s a reflection from some brass thing on my bookshelf)

8D175234-5E2A-42A3-99B5-7305C0954EB3.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man

(Throws dick on bar)
My Martin turned 50 last year.
As long as we're throwing our dicks around, I've got this Gretsch thats 62. The 1st year of the Anniversary model, 1958. PAF Filtertron.

Story is that a guy my Uncle knew broke in through the ceiling of a music store in El Paso back in the early 60's and somehow this one wound up with my Dad. There was a Tennessean from the same heist that I longed for, but my uncle sold it back in the early 90's. 89e7211c0eedb9c1e96c373bc835ce0e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

we need the oldest guitar that you had when it was new (and still have). So for me, my 1996 Martin DM, rather than my 1986 Les Paul.

Every single guitar I've ever bought was used.  I mean, I guess my Warmoth projects were new.  I did get an NOS Jeff Tweedy SG in 2013.  But even that was second hand.  It was brand new, no scratches.

The oldest guitar I own in the 1962 Gibson Country Western discussed a page or two back.  

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

As long as we're throwing our dicks around, I've got this Gretsch thats 62. The 1st year of the Anniversary model, 1958. PAF Filtertron.

Story is that a guy my Uncle knew broke in through the ceiling of a music store in El Paso back in the early 60's and somehow this one wound up with my Dad. There was a Tennessean from the same heist that I longed for, but my uncle sold it back in the early 90's. 89e7211c0eedb9c1e96c373bc835ce0e.jpg

My Dad often tells me that when his dad took him to a pawn shop in Abilene to get his first guitar, the man offered him a nice Gretsch at a reasonable price.  But it had "too many knobs and switches" on it, so intimidated, my Dad passed.  He got a matching Alamo amp and guitar set.  Something like this:

c3lofon2y6tfetpkfnwf.jpg

nmyipnrdqmdksprviamq.jpg

For about 35 years or so, every so often the story comes up, to which I inevitably reply, "Are you kidding me?"  He just shakes his head and says, "I know."  It's a little dance we do whenever Gretsches come up.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I only own one electric guitar (I'm not a collector, just a  playah!)  But if I did get another one, and I am certain I will, it will be one of the Gretsch Hollows.  This one in particular interests me, gawd is it purty.

2401319821_gre_ins_frt_01_rr.png

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I only own one electric guitar (I'm not a collector, just a  playah!)  But if I did get another one, and I am certain I will, it will be one of the Gretsch Hollows.  This one in particular interests me, gawd is it purty.

That's a good pick.  What better time than now?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's high praise coming from you Scooter.  

2001 Gibson Custom Shop R8

As to the choice, there really wasn't much to it.  My buddy just said, "I want the one on the left, you want the one on the right?"  He seems to like the late 70s/early 80s Gibsons.  I have an '82 LP Custom (the first guitar I paid for with my own sweat) and it's a great guitar.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  But I think both Fender and Gibson are putting out as fine of guitars today as they ever have.  Sure, they don't have the mojo of 70 years patina - at least, the non-relic'd ones don't - but they great instruments.  I think he likes the allure of old.  But come to think of it, while 2001 doesn't seem that long ago to me, it is a while in guitar years.

I’m jealous, that is a fine instrument. And an R8 on top of that quilt...very well done.

14 hours ago, phdhorn said:

There is supposed to be one at the local shop here. I am going to try and head over today. If they have it, I'll grab some pics. 

• Like 1

Nice clan
I almost included the Flying V since I put Filtertrons in it.

Maybe I'll get an updated family portrait of the Gibson's next.

I've been remodeling for about a year and have had them all locked up to protect from the dust. Im almost done with the construction project, so its fun getting them out.

I found the set list from our last show before lockdown in the 6120 case. That was bitter sweet.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just replaced the GForce bullshit with a set of Grover Vintage. That was an easy, drop in replacement. Did have to drill minimally for the screws.

I really look forward to spending time with this LP Jr. Its the only guitar w P90s I own and I've spent probably under 2 hours with it in the 2 or 3 years I've owned it due to the tuning system.

I ordered the set earlier this week from Sweetwater for $52. Within an hour I got a call from my rep Corey to thank me for the order. Thats the 2nd time he's called to say thank you after a small purchase. Anybody else get that?a02fc2097ead11ca835d3048e64825c6.jpg0c17157602f4adc5d5894ceec170956e.jpgc3fa4276aee8dd70aafc7d81096d19ab.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Just replaced the GForce bullshit with a set of Grover Vintage. That was an easy, drop in replacement. Did have to drill minimally for the screws.

I really look forward to spending time with this LP Jr. Its the only guitar w P90s I own and I've spent probably under 2 hours with it in the 2 or 3 years I've owned it due to the tuning system.

I ordered the set earlier this week from Sweetwater for $52. Within an hour I got a call from my rep Corey to thank me for the order. Thats the 2nd time he's called to say thank you after a small purchase. Anybody else get that?a02fc2097ead11ca835d3048e64825c6.jpg0c17157602f4adc5d5894ceec170956e.jpgc3fa4276aee8dd70aafc7d81096d19ab.jpg

I used too. My guy Wayne sucks now. He rarely gets back to me and has already missed out on the sale of my orange cab. I had to talk to a random guy over there who priced me at $739.99. Got it from my guy at GC for $677 out the door 

6 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I ordered the set earlier this week from Sweetwater for $52. Within an hour I got a call from my rep Corey to thank me for the order. Thats the 2nd time he's called to say thank you after a small purchase. Anybody else get that?

I bought a little Marshall amp and got and email and call from my Sales Engineer (or whatever they call it).

18 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

On the Sweetwater calls, they have my home number and my sales guy keeps leaving messages on the home phone so my wife knows every time I buy something.  I need to fix that issue, pronto.  Fuckers are ratting me out.  

prank.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, hullabelew said:

On the Sweetwater calls, they have my home number and my sales guy keeps leaving messages on the home phone so my wife knows every time I buy something.  I need to fix that issue, pronto.  Fuckers are ratting me out.  

Oh, and landline and answering machine? Guy is just calling you for the nostalgia. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Deej said:

Oh, and landline and answering machine? Guy is just calling you for the nostalgia. 

Ha.  Not only that, it requires two phone lines to run the phone.  Wife has to have it for the closed captioning and that motherfucker types out the messages people leave so I have to hustle over and delete the messages and the call log when Sweetwater calls.    

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Ha.  Not only that, it requires two phone lines to run the phone.  Wife has to have it for the closed captioning and that motherfucker types out the messages people leave so I have to hustle over and delete the messages and the call log when Sweetwater calls.    

This is highly amusing to me.  My buddy and I trade guitars with some frequency - mostly him storing "extras" at my house so he can entice me to buy them.  Hasn't happened yet, but he's still hoping.  Mrs. F has stated numerous times she's given up on trying to keep track of how many guitars there are and where.  So I have that in my favor.  I'm waiting for an opportune time (re:  When Chad Jr. and Mrs. F are away and I have a couple extra hours) to run down and pick up the new to me LP.  My plan is just to hang it on the wall and see how long it takes her to notice.  "Why, that's been there for ages, honey."  We'll see how that goes.

The other day, my wife looked at one guitar on the wall and asked when I got it.  I said, "1982, a hell of a lot longer than I've known you."   She said, "Just never noticed it before."     Hulla sees a window opening..........local guitar shop getting in one of these.  

md_1b500cb52b79622a12545008c76458e7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 1:56 PM, Deej said:

Here you go...the guitar only Paul Reed Smith and John Mayer could create...for sale on Austin CL. 

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/austin-2019-prs-silver-sky-horizon-red/7296382603.html

silver sky.jpg

So is the reason this guitar exists because John Mayer made a deal with PRS, but didn't want to play any of the existing PRS guitars since he was such a strat guy?  I still can't wrap my head around paying over $2,000 for a strat and having it not be one of the nicer (non c/s) Fenders.

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So is the reason this guitar exists because John Mayer made a deal with PRS, but didn't want to play any of the existing PRS guitars since he was such a strat guy?  I still can't wrap my head around paying over $2,000 for a strat and having it not be one of the nicer (non c/s) Fenders.

I'm sure it's a fine instrument because PRS makes fine instruments.  But this is kind of where I am as well.  I mean, if you really want those bird inlays on your Strat, then this is guitar for you.  

41 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm sure it's a fine instrument because PRS makes fine instruments.  But this is kind of where I am as well.  I mean, if you really want those bird inlays on your Strat, then this is guitar for you.  

Yeah, I've got an old PRS HBII and it's beautiful and plays like a dream.  Even has the birds (probably my least favorite part).  But I just can't get past the juxtaposition of that headstock with the strat body.

I just can’t get past the fact that PRS completely fucking copied one of the most iconic consumer products in history and put their name on it and touted it like it was something.

That would be like Tesla touting an “all new” model M that looked just like a 66 Mustang. Just completely regarded.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1