The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

49 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Just a nick he said no crack. Willing to do 10% off…. Thoughts?

Where is the nick? Actual size? Sweetwater usually puts the sizing arrow next to a defect to give scale.

It looks small to me. I’d probably do worse in the first month anyways. Assuming you are going to actually play it and not case queen it/flip it, I’d go for it. Now, if the dink was on the neck where I would feel it all the time or on a prominent location always staring at me I would pass. You’ve been after one for a while now, $430 off and they aren’t making any more.

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Just a nick he said no crack. Willing to do 10% off…. Thoughts?

I got my Les Paul demo from Sweetwater for 23% off and I can’t see why it was ever returned.  I can consistently get 15% off list on a brand new guitar from Wildwood.  10% for a demo/return seems low to me, but it is a limited run, so maybe that changes things.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the sold out limited edition is the issue. The Gibson thin nitro finish is probably delicate (if it’s anything like the Fender thin skin nitro which dinks if you look at it wrong). call them tell them you are ready to buy, can they do just a little better on the price….

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

I’m buying it. It’s a ding next to the strap button or whatever you call it. Only 10% because it’s a limited run and there was no discount on them to begin with.

I only asked out of curiosity. It is a nice example. You probably already know this. But, should you find the mark bothersome at some point. It appears small enough that it can be very easily be steamed out by a quality luthier. 

13 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I only asked out of curiosity. It is a nice example. You probably already know this. But, should you find the mark bothersome at some point. It appears small enough that it can be very easily be steamed out by a quality luthier. 

How does that work?

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I’m buying it. It’s a ding next to the strap button or whatever you call it. Only 10% because it’s a limited run and there was no discount on them to begin with.

Good on you, I bet you are happy with it, or at least cannot spot the dings.  When I bought that Les Paul from Sweetwater, it had pictures of 3 separate dings.  When I got the guitar, I could only see them in person if I used a magnifying glass.  The pictures they had were magnified to a degree that it made the blemishes appear more significant than they really were to my naked eye.

54 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

The tools are simple. A damp cloth, a standard clothing iron and a metric ton of balls to touch that hot bastard against a valuable instrument.
Done correctly you won’t be able to ever see the damage. Does require a deft touch however.

Hard pass. 

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Hard pass. 

George Nakashima was an artist at it. It is where I first saw the technique. Google him. I bought a dining table from him in the early 70’s. His shop was in Pennsylvania and had several hundred of some very rare woods you could pick from.

He told us he needed a way to save extremely expensive hard woods that were bumped in shipping or handling.

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

The tools are simple. A damp cloth, a standard clothing iron and a metric ton of balls to touch that hot bastard against a valuable instrument.
Done correctly you won’t be able to ever see the damage. Does require a deft touch however.

Perhaps, but "deft touch" has never been said about me and musical instruments in any capacity whatsoever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, topochico said:

Perhaps, but "deft touch" has never been said about me and musical instruments in any capacity whatsoever. 

On no! I didn’t mean for you to try it! Only a good luthier should attempt such repairs. I just happen to have one who can handle this with no problem. But not me, fuck no.

Deft touch.  Ha.  I'll see if I can find the picture.  Baboso on here has a nephew who has a guitar.   He ended up with Baboso's dad's branding iron and thought it would be a cool idea to brand that guitar.  I mean Gretsch did it, right?  

This sounds awesome. This kid has upper management written all over him.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I picked up a MIJ 60s P-bass last year that needed a new nut and setup. While my luthier was doing the setup he noticed a deep gouge/ding on the rosewood fretboard so he used this technique to get it out. It was really deep so he wasn’t able to remove it 100% but it’s barely noticeable now. 

On 7/17/2021 at 10:22 PM, Goredho said:

Since we are talking about R9’s, my brother just bought this new Murphy Labs light aged R9 from Norm’s Rare Guitars in LA.  He claims it is the absolute shit.  I haven’t had a chance to steal er, play it, yet. He sent me several pics and its pretty.  Not overly reliced, maybe a little light chequing is all I see in pics.

Begun the guitar wars have.

A715CAFE-4E4A-428F-B363-364D66A035C6.jpeg

PSA post.  I got to play my brother's new Murphy labs R9 a lot yesterday, and its a *really* nice looking and playing guitar.  I was set to start saving up for one (though probably an R0), but we opened the case this morning and a cornflake sized piece of nitro had fallen off in the case.  This is after a few weeks of ownership by my brother, with no impacts or anything other than normal playing.  It is possible it could have taken an impact during shipping.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.3409fd03e061217d655273d97f88364f.jpg

My brother is talking to Norm's and Gibson to see what options he has, if this can be made right, or if its just the breaks for him.  I'll respond later with what a final outcome is.  Main thing I wanted to get across here is that if anyone is considering dropping $7K on a Murphy Labs Les Paul, you might want to make sure your seller offers a lenient and lengthy return policy.

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

PSA post.  I got to play my brother's new Murphy labs R9 a lot yesterday, and its a *really* nice looking and playing guitar.  I was set to start saving up for one (though probably an R0), but we opened the case this morning and a cornflake sized piece of nitro had fallen off in the case.  This is after a few weeks of ownership by my brother, with no impacts or anything other than normal playing.  It is possible it could have taken an impact during shipping.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.3409fd03e061217d655273d97f88364f.jpg

My brother is talking to Norm's and Gibson to see what options he has, if this can be made right, or if its just the breaks for him.  I'll respond later with what a final outcome is.  Main thing I wanted to get across here is that if anyone is considering dropping $7K on a Murphy Labs Les Paul, you might want to make sure your seller offers a lenient and lengthy return policy.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/murphy-lab-finish-issues.2264680/

Thread on TGP about it. Pics and and comments from the owner are similar to the above. Apparently it also got sent back to Gibson. 

Comments below are from the owner/thread creator:

The issue with the finsih coming off was defective cherry pore filler mix. And the end result likely will be all the finish coming off over time.

Gibson stuck their head in the sand hoping some of use would just keep them.

Dealers kept selling them and some even resold the defective returned guitars as new.

Just a summary for those who did not read all the various posts.

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, topochico said:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/murphy-lab-finish-issues.2264680/

Thread on TGP about it. Pics and and comments from the owner are similar to the above. Apparently it also got sent back to Gibson. 

Comments below are from the owner/thread creator:

The issue with the finsih coming off was defective cherry pore filler mix. And the end result likely will be all the finish coming off over time.

Gibson stuck their head in the sand hoping some of use would just keep them.

Dealers kept selling them and some even resold the defective returned guitars as new.

Just a summary for those who did not read all the various posts.

Thanks for the intel.  Pretty crappy if it’s as widespread an issue as described in that thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do they guarantee the finish?  Seems to me if they attack the finish, either chemically or mechanically, then there could be further damage more likely over time.

Yeah, it’s fair to say this is not an illogical conclusion to the process of accelerated aging.  But you also don’t expect to pay for a Gibson custom shop guitar and see the finish start flaking off like dandruff in a few weeks.  It seems like Gibson agrees with the latter, at least when a customer is willing to press the issue.

I’m really interested to see where this goes for Gibson.  They have invested a lot in the Murphy Labs for it to be their flagship custom guitars this year and moving forward.  I was ready to start preparing to buy one.  Now I wouldn’t go anywhere near them.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

Just now, Goredho said:

Yeah, it’s fair to say this is not an illogical conclusion to the process of accelerated aging.  But you also don’t expect to pay for a Gibson custom shop guitar and expect the finish to start flaking off like dandruff in a few weeks.  It seems like Gibson agrees with the latter, at least when a customer is willing to press the issue.

Yeah, the fact they're dealing with it does seem to indicate they didn't expect it to happen.  Hope it all works out for your brother.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, the fact they're dealing with it does seem to indicate they didn't expect it to happen.  Hope it all works out for your brother.

Thanks, I am sure it will, and if not, he can afford the dud.  Maybe I’ll offer to take it off his hands for threefiddy😜

For those interested. I found a good photo of what Tom Murphy is trying to duplicate so far as checking. This is what that condition looks like when it occurs naturally. Though I think it looks best on a gold top.

Ironically this look that everyone seems to appreciate was a mistake to begin with. Gibson simply made mistakes with their finishing materials. 

D7C15829-F4B8-4D43-AB99-DD7A3635211B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

While looking for the other pic I found this. If you don’t know it is a Dan Armstrong acrylic. Richards played one at Altamont. He loved em, but apparently they didn’t stay in tune well enough to tour with.
C89C5841-3B15-4389-BFFA-ADA258087198.thumb.jpeg.d4c8b14b19fe35038158ede507be13fa.jpeg

I used to see these with some frequency at the guitar shows back in the 80s and 90s. I don’t recall seeing one of late. The first time I saw the Stones at the Cotton Bowl in ‘89 he was playing Music Man Silouettes. Despite his association with the Tele, he does like to mix it up.