The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

42 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Neck shape is a big concern. I have little carny hands and really want to be able to wrap my thumb over the top. My G&L ASAT Tribute Tele is a baseball bat in that regard.

Then you absolutely need to go with the buffet model -- Warmoth, some level of Fender "you pick 'em", etc.  That is, unless you find a particular model with a very shallow neck and you are trusting enough to order it to your aesthetics.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Can’t find the scratch. I’m listing it on reverb but man it fucking plays so good and the low end is like nothing I’ve ever heard. I’m in love also hand signs by Noel. Reason I’m gonna list it is because if someone offers me like 8k I’m taking that shit 4B4C9BBF-8B1E-4DF1-B8F5-6E0BFAFE3015.thumb.jpeg.d1d06d1fe3d55cb6cdf82f92b76f15e3.jpegD4CD1A15-29D5-4DF0-9C84-3B3358B62AD6.thumb.jpeg.4f3c39a863a87a3c7dcf61c2c3a62d61.jpeg644560B8-6D1E-4AD2-81FC-2B439192EB0E.thumb.jpeg.5b1375e123252910d9c90b0a815e462c.jpeg18045F6B-E3E2-4057-8FB1-13DBBE9D99E0.thumb.jpeg.0de6f9d9d2148d2308443c6b51a19d3a.jpeg

Man, I am starting to look for another acoustic, and a Gibson has been tops of my list. That guitar is bad ass looking man, I fucking love the mustache bridge on those. 

2 hours ago, JSB said:

Man, I am starting to look for another acoustic, and a Gibson has been tops of my list. That guitar is bad ass looking man, I fucking love the mustache bridge on those. 

The low end is ridiculous but has just enough high end that it isn’t as dry as a Martin. It’s awesome and I couldn’t be happier that I returned 3 guitars to land on this 

Then you absolutely need to go with the buffet model -- Warmoth, some level of Fender "you pick 'em", etc.  That is, unless you find a particular model with a very shallow neck and you are trusting enough to order it to your aesthetics.

I need to find out what the neck profile is on my late 90s Strat, that works well for me.

The Custom Shop relics have gotten pretty damn convincing.

The EVH mural outside the Sunset Guitar Center looks stellar, but inside the guitar room in the back is still worth the price of admission. I don't know who homeboy on the left was, but he was super tatted and super nice and playing a non-reissue '54 gold top plugged into some old-ass Hiwatt (a brand I really don't know shit about) and the two sales dudes were fawning over him.

0de70b224e0782035db8a34139ad8272.jpg6d3fea1daf79ca39acafb0df14dac4c7.jpg

f5b42932557d0a5c8763c61dbc8bdfba.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2YK9VH/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_KJA3DA2YXPEJXCC5DQBM
are these worth the extra $300 or should my buddy just buy a MIM

See if this link still offers a $519 MIM Fender Strat in Lake placid Blue. 

https://www.adorama.com/fe0144570002.html?emailprice=t&sterm=RS715j2J0xyLTEO0MKVSfWfHUkB2d%3A3xMTeHXM0&utm_source=rflaid43676

It seems to.

PLUS: The MIM Player has a 2 point floating trem vs twice as much for 6 screw trem.

79265A46-74EA-4B28-9D2E-7B046A4BDBCB.png

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

About time they finished that place. Last couple times I was there was under total renovation. Looks great.

There must've been a run on amps because there was only about a 10th the amount as before. That 1958 Twin isn't there, so at least someone's pandemic was niiiiice. Stock was generally hit or miss, except for acoutics. Even with the knowledge that we're all about to die you can still find yourself a ton of acoustic options on the shelf.

Edited by BoomMF

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2YK9VH/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_KJA3DA2YXPEJXCC5DQBM
are these worth the extra $300 or should my buddy just buy a MIM

See if this link still offers a $519 MIM Fender Strat in Lake placid Blue. 

https://www.adorama.com/fe0144570002.html?emailprice=t&sterm=RS715j2J0xyLTEO0MKVSfWfHUkB2d%3A3xMTeHXM0&utm_source=rflaid43676
It seems to.
PLUS: The MIM Player has a 2 point floating trem vs twice as much for 6 screw trem.
79265A46-74EA-4B28-9D2E-7B046A4BDBCB.thumb.png.c3b44f1acfab73c9237321f5e3a3a0eb.png

This is good advice. Strictly from reading and watching videos (I haven’t played any of them yet), I don’t think the American Performer is worth twice as much as the MIM Player. If you’re going to go American it’s worth going with the Professional, which is basically the new Standard. The Performer cuts some corners so for half as much the Player is the way to go.

While at the Green Day show last week I realized I forgot one (probably forgot quite a few) on the Strat wall of fame in Billie Joe with his Fernandes Strat “Blue”. There are a lot of guitar wonks on here, and sometimes I’m one of them, but there’s something to be said for just turning it up loud and playing punk chords. It’s every bit as pure a manifestation of guitar as any other style.

https://equipboard.com/pros/billie-joe-armstrong/fernandes-stratocaster-blue

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

US$519 Player Series
This is good advice. Strictly from reading and watching videos (I haven’t played any of them yet), I don’t think the American Performer is worth twice as much as the MIM Player. If you’re going to go American it’s worth going with the Professional, which is basically the new Standard. The Performer cuts some corners so for half as much the Player is the way to go.

I bought one of these guitars and it is just over my shoulder as I type this.

PROS:
-Less than 1/2 price
-2 point trem
-much bigger trem block than the American Performer 

CONS:
-No Gig Bag
-Tuners are NOT "vintage style split tuners"... when are easier to string/restring
-The fretboard edges are not rolled, but not sure if they are on the American Performer either

I would say that with the discount, there is no question that the friend should get a Player Strat (MIM) from Adorama is they can still get that $519 (+ tax) deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

PROS:
-Less than 1/2 price
-2 point trem

CONS:
-No Gig Bag
-Tuners are NOT "vintage style split tuners"... when are easier to string/restring
-The fretboard edges are not rolled, but not sure if they are on the American Performer either

I would say that with the discount, there is no question that the friend should get a Player Strat (MIM) from Adorama is they can still get that $519 (+ tax) deal.

Curious, what are they made of?

PROS:
-Less than 1/2 price
-2 point trem

CONS:
-No Gig Bag

I think the Pro has the rolled fretboard edges, but not the Performer. But check before pulling any triggers.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I think the Pro has the rolled fretboard edges, but not the Performer. But check before pulling any triggers.

For that price difference, pay the $120 bucks or so to have the luthier roll the edges when its in for a set up. Still come out way ahead.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

For that price difference, pay the $120 bucks or so to have the luthier roll the edges when its in for a set up. Still come out way ahead.

On a fretboard that is rosewood or Pau Ferro or whatever... it is easy to roll the edges yourself. I've been holding off because it's got that glaze over the maple fretboard.

And if you want to change out the tuners, it's still  much cheaper to buy the Player series and add the tuners if you use the link I provided.

I've had mine for about a year and still haven't taken the plastic off of the pick guard. I just don't know if I want to be a guy with on or two guitars or 7 cheap to moderate guitars. (One or two guitar people seem to practice more vs piddle around.)

On a fretboard that is rosewood or Pau Ferro or whatever... it is easy to roll the edges yourself. I've been holding off because it's got that glaze over the maple fretboard.

And if you want to change out the tuners, it's still  much cheaper to buy the Player series and add the tuners if you use the link I provided.

I've had mine for about a year and still haven't taken the plastic off of the pick guard. I just don't know if I want to be a guy with on or two guitars or 7 cheap to moderate guitars. (One or two guitar people seem to practice more vs piddle around.)

In my experience, the one or two people practice a lot. Then they become six or seven, or ten or twelve, guys who piddle. It’s the guitar arc of life.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Half of mine sit in cases and rarely get played, but I figure that I'll just blow the money on something else if I sell them. Enough of them do get played that I wouldn't be saving that much space.

I was thinking about hanging them all on the wall in the guest bedroom like art, then realized that everybody walking down the street would see them through the window. There's probably a window treatment that can fix that.

Most of mine sit in cases and rarely get played, but I figure that I'll just blow the money on something else if I sell them. Enough of them do get played that I wouldn't be saving that much space.

I was thinking about hanging them all on the wall in the guest bedroom like art, then realized that everybody walking down the street would see them through the window. There's probably a window treatment that can fix that.

They are even harder to work on the electronics, which is why I haven't played it in a while. You have to pull the whole bridge off to remove the pickguard. Evidently I did a poor solder joint when I replaced the pickups. It sounded great for a while, then started to get noisy after a few months. I guess its time to fix it. I put TV Jones Filtertrons in this one so it would sound like a Gretsch.

Ok kind of a long story that no one asked for but this is the guitar thread so here goes...

Had to take the Larivee to the shop this weekend. This is the one I bought last December when I took my whole live rig into a great local shop we have here (Acoustic Vibes) and said start handing me guitars until we find one that sounds good plugged in. The Taylor electronics just wasn’t cutting it. Tried everything from $1500 Breedloves to $7000 Santa Cruzes and custom Martins. The Larivee was head and shoulders above them all going through my system. And it played fantastic to boot. So I bought it - $2800. Had the LR Baggs Anthem system already in it, which is a combo of an under saddle pickup and an actually microphone and you can blend the two. Really easy to use. And makes an acoustic sound almost sort of like an acoustic plugged in, not the quacky shit all the regular pickups sound like.

So anyway the Larivee became the number 1 in December and played it (beat the shit out of it) every Friday night for 3-4 hours and several saturdays until this week. Been really impressed with how good it sounds, and get lots of compliments from other real players who’ve heard us play. (Not my playing, just the tone).

Anyway, when it’s not hot we play out side. Lately been inside. Lots of temperature changes and humidity changes (summer monsoon season here has been super humid this year). So the last few weeks it’s been playing like shit. The frets are now uneven all around the nut (wondering if humidity is pushing them up or they are just wearing unevenly), there are uneven humps in the neck near the neck joint and the neck joint itself is showing very minor separation.

Took it to my main guy and he pointed out the neck joint separation and said he’d just do a fret dress and set up (maybe shave the saddle a bit) but suggested I take it to where I bought it before he does anything in case they want to make Larivee aware of the neck joint. They agreed and are doing the fret dress setup and sending pics of the neck joint to Larivee. So we’ll see I guess I’m sure they can make it play ok, but the neck joint concerns me long term.

So the point of this whole story is the abuse I’m putting it through has me wondering if getting a different guitar and putting an LR Baggs Anthem in it might be a better way to go for what is essentially a bar tool. I’m thinking maybe a Taylor 2 series with Laminate back and sides and a bolt on neck for easy adjustments might be the the way to go. Then shitcan the expression 2 for the Anthem which both guys say they can do no problem. I think the Anthem makes a huge difference.

Anyway, thinking something like this

https://reverb.com/item/39833684-taylor-214ce-blk-dlx?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=39833684

Yea I know /csb