The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

5 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

An iteration of a Roland JC-120 maybe?

Cool pic....pipe makes it cooler. 

There is really no one cooler than Albert King.  There may be people who are as cool, but they can't beat him.  I remember way back in the day reading that he used a split Ampeg bass stack with 1x15 and 4x10 cabinets.  But its' been a while.  That's why the amp jumped out at me.  

There is really no one cooler than Albert King.  There may be people who are as cool, but they can't beat him.  I remember way back in the day reading that he used a split Ampeg bass stack with 1x15 and 4x10 cabinets.  But its' been a while.  That's why the amp jumped out at me.  

All those guys named King are pretty cool.

d39e94547a517090b706ff70c0903398.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

This one underwent a successful surgery this morning.

When I wired it up last time, I just soldered the new wires where the old ones were. Compared it to diagram this morning and the was a whole grounding circuit not there. Added it in and it sounds great. Cant wait to jam the Filterton V!

20210802_101924.jpg20210802_105003.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you bother to use a multimeter on the pots after you solder them? 

I usually just turn them wide open then measure resistance at the output jack with the switch in both positions. If the resistance is fairly close between the two I figure we're good to close it up. These were at around 4.8 if I recall. I don't usually check the individual pots and the sweep. I have while troubleshooting something, but I dont as a practice

Just now realizing that the sheet of foil on the pick guard where the pots mount probably served as the the ground connection for all the pots, switch and jack. Likely it tore or somehow got a weak connection at some point after I replaced the pickups. Oh well, its all grounded solid with wire now. I wondered why it sounded great until it didn't.

18 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I’m going to play so many guitars before choosing the one. I made $4000 after fees and shipping. I’m not sure what to get but I know a hummingbird really sticks out to me.  But like I said I’m going to play acoustics and electrics 

I'm in the same boat. We are selling my late FIL's house right now, and after that, new guitar shopping goes full force.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

What do you have in mind?

I want a new acoustic, and really dig the gibson's I've played. Now, whether I want to go with a 45, SJ-200 or Hummingbird, or maybe one of the Singer Songwriters, I still don't know. I also dig the sound of the martins, but damn they are boring to look at. 

FWIW, I have 2 Martins and a Gibson Hummingbird.

The 000-28 sits next to sofa and gets played daily. The D-18 sits next to my desk and gets played daily. The Hummingbird sits in its case and comes out from time to time, but always goes back cause it still doesn't like a Martin. Its a beautiful guitar and records well though.

22 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

FWIW, I have 2 Martins and a Gibson Hummingbird.

The 000-28 sits next to sofa and gets played daily. The D-18 sits next to my desk and gets played daily. The Hummingbird sits in its case and comes out from time to time, but always goes back cause it still doesn't like a Martin. Its a beautiful guitar and records well though.

This.  I have a vintage Gibson Country Western.  Looks awesome, sounds pretty good, it's hard to play.

I have a Steve Miller Martin that is essentially a tricked out OOO-28, and I love that thing to death.  Play the heck out of it.  

If boring looks is your issue, start looking at the various Martin artist models over time.  There's a lot of gold to be mined there.

All I know is, if I were gonna dump $2,400 into a Sortacaster, I'd buy much better parts and have a great luthier put it together for me, and I'd still end up at a lower total cost.

Of course, you couldn't return it, and nobody is gonna buy it for more than maybe 75% of what you paid, so if you're window shopping, that's not really the way to go.

3 hours ago, JSB said:

I want a new acoustic, and really dig the gibson's I've played. Now, whether I want to go with a 45, SJ-200 or Hummingbird, or maybe one of the Singer Songwriters, I still don't know. I also dig the sound of the martins, but damn they are boring to look at. 

Oh we could be Martin bros

591D289A-F4C8-4C6B-979C-82E6832FB835.jpeg