The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, Deej said:

So, five and a half years after the accident, the last two fingers of my right hand have become so arthritic that I can't really do anything with them. As far as playing goes, they kinda just fall away when strumming and tend to hit strings they shouldn't. I have no idea how to correct it. 

There has got to be a workaround. 

20211021_204219.thumb.jpg.794e8599096442357921a00394883ac4.jpg

That sucks, man.  Can you curl them and use them as a mute on the strings or is that position pretty well static?  I ripped the distal biceps tendon on my fingering arm.  I still remembering on day  2 after I got home from surgery seeing if I could finger a couple of chords.  It was a relief.

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Can't hurt!

Sorry to hear this. I remember when you had that fall, I told you it would heal soon. Wish I had been correct. Work with what you got, you'll find a way.

It healed, but those two fingers are slowly locking up. The doctor warned me. Like I said, the last two will catch the e and B stings lightly on upstrums, in particular.

Deej, that sucks. Consider talking to your doctor about an occupational therapist consult. They can possibly set up a physical therapy plan tailored to help with accessory muscle strength and flexibility to keep those fingers out of the way. Maybe they could design a custom splint or brace that would hold those fingers up and out of the way for you while you play. 

On 10/20/2021 at 12:39 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

I think I've shared some of this here before, but not all of it. 

Many of you know from this thread that we were recording an album when the pandemic hit. For several reasons, its lingered over the course of time since, but we finally have it at the goal line. What I'm pasting below is the final mixes and track list we've agreed on and the artwork that still has a few tweaks to come, mainly with title as it appears at the bottom.

This still needs to be mastered, then I am going to try and shop it to a label for release, but I will release it myself if I can't find any takers. If anybody knows any labels that may be interested, please let me know who and I'll reach out. There will be a small run pressed on vinyl. I don't expect any hits or anything from it, I just want to document something that I am very proud to have created and been a part of. It was a learning experience and I'm already writing for the next project with the bass player. That project will be quite different.

I know there's another thread for this. I may cross post there after mastering, but this is the thread I have the longest history with.

Vary Mary Cover.jpg

Very nice.  Congrats on documenting all of this.

The scream at the beginning of "waiting" is solid.  That Daltrey fellow has got nothing on you.

8 hours ago, Deej said:

It healed, but those two fingers are slowly locking up. The doctor warned me. Like I said, the last two will catch the e and B stings lightly on upstrums, in particular.

Deej, sorry to hear this.  You lost mobility because of a nerve injury, or because the joints were affected by fractures?

I'm sure you can come up with a work-around.... either a splint that holds those fingers in extension, or a way to tether them to your long finger so they're out of your way.

On your team.

I took a header running across the street, and in a reactionary effort to keep my head from slamming into the curb, I threw my right had out in a fist, essentially punching the curb with all my weight behind it. The bone in the hand the last two fingers sit on was literally pulverized, so those two fingers were pinned together, since the little finger was flopping off to the side of the hand, and the ring finger was flopping into the middle finger's space. Numerous small fractures in all four fingers that had to be just left to heal. The thumb and first two fingers are pretty good, but the last two fingers seem like they are more there for show, at this point. They act in unison, for the most part, which is a bit odd. I can't grab anything from above with even the least bit of weight, because my grip falls on that half of the hand. If there is a handle where I can set the weight across the palm of my hand, then I can lift heavy stuff. 

I think I'm just going to tape them to my middle finger. Not like I'm doing any finger picking and I just need to keep them from dropping across the strings when I'm strumming. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Near friend gave me a 22 year old Seymour Duncan humbucker out of his first real guitar. A American strat. I can’t remember the model strat. It’s called like a Tex mex or some shit. We were like “this is the greatest single pickup ever” in like 1998. We had never had a good guitar. He had a squire (which he still has today) and I had some POS called a EPI that was a shitty strat knock off. What should It put it in?? Is this how building your own starts? Need help! Lol

• Like 1

Near friend gave me a 22 year old Seymour Duncan humbucker out of his first real guitar. A American strat. I can’t remember the model strat. It’s called like a Tex mex or some shit. We were like “this is the greatest single pickup ever” in like 1998. We had never had a good guitar. He had a squire (which he still has today) and I had some POS called a EPI that was a shitty strat knock off. What should It put it in?? Is this how building your own starts? Need help! Lol

Go to the Warmoth site and start looking there. Already finished bodies would be a great place to start. In my opinion, some of the great music in the world has been made with SD humbuckers at the bridge position in Strats. EVH’s homemade Strats, Rivers Cuomo (Weezer), Billy Joe of Green Day all jump to mind.

On another note, and forgive me if this has been asked and answered, does anyone have a gig bag they really like? Regardless of questions on the wisdom of such a matter, I’ve started gigging with my LP R8 and the $30 GC bag just doesn’t seem worthy - or safe - to cart such a gem around with. Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Go to the Warmoth site and start looking there. Already finished bodies would be a great place to start. In my opinion, some of the great music in the world has been made with SD humbuckers at the bridge position in Strats. EVH’s homemade Strats, Rivers Cuomo (Weezer), Billy Joe of Green Day all jump to mind.

On another note, and forgive me if this has been asked and answered, does anyone have a gig bag they really like? Regardless of questions on the wisdom of such a matter, I’ve started gigging with my LP R8 and the $30 GC bag just doesn’t seem worthy - or safe - to cart such a gem around with. Thoughts?

Mono. I think the Les Paul guys say the M80 may have a bit more headstock clearance than the Vertigo. I have a Vertigo sitting around here somewhere if you want to git it a spin and see if it will work. Both support the neck up and away pretty good though. 

On 10/22/2021 at 3:56 AM, Deej said:

You could always go punk and all downstrokes. Worked for Johnny Ramone.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

PRS gig bags rule. It's really hard to find a good one nowdays, all thin and very little padding, the Fender one is pretty lame. I grabbed an extra PRS bad at a pawn shop a few years ago that they sold separately by mistake after they cut back budget and fired the regular guitar section guy, left it to some lackeys that knew nothing.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

You could always go punk and all downstrokes. Worked for Johnny Ramone.

your punk rock name can be Jangles Rhino-hard

2273.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

That sucks. I do wonder if there's something you can do that doesn't harm the fingers that would keep them out of the way. Hair tie around the hand holding the fingers closer to the palm? Or are they just rigid?

Edited by Celery Man

4 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

The V got rocked last night. The Filtertrons i put in it are bright enough pull off stuff that i wrote for a Telecaster.

We are booked to open a club show in a few weeks. We really need more material.

20211023_183239.jpg

Let's all throw in lines and write a Surly song for you to perform.

13 hours ago, Goredho said:

So what are the options for long scale hollows and semi hollows?  I figure the f-hole teles and Eric Johnson strats have the normal fender 25.5” scale length.  What other (semi)hollows are longer than Gibson’s normal scale length?

Hollow and semi-hollow is a big gap in my collection.  I'm waiting to hear how responses to this turn out.  I have a thinline Tele build, but when I think hollow/semi-hollow, I really think Gibson ES and their progeny.  Gretsch is in there too.  Anyhow, subscribed.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Hollow and semi-hollow is a big gap in my collection.  I'm waiting to hear how responses to this turn out.  I have a thinline Tele build, but when I think hollow/semi-hollow, I really think Gibson ES and their progeny.  Gretsch is in there too.  Anyhow, subscribed.

Yeah, I’ve come to the conclusion I like longer scale lengths for my fat sausage fingers.  Most everything I’ve seen that is along the lines of Gibson ES-* all use the shorter Gibson scale length.  I’ll see what I can find out on the gear page and report back.

15 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, I’ve come to the conclusion I like longer scale lengths for my fat sausage fingers.  Most everything I’ve seen that is along the lines of Gibson ES-* all use the shorter Gibson scale length.  I’ll see what I can find out on the gear page and report back.

I've played a few semi-hollow Rics.  I love the sound buy my experience is that they're too narrow at the nut for my hands.  Trying to make chords my fingers seem to run into each other.  Doesn't keep me from wanting one though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 7:49 AM, Bogeywon said:

I had that same model strat . . . had texas specials in the neck and middle and a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge.  

I remember seeing an article that mentioned that Sadler Vaden (who always has killer tone) plays pearly gates pickups in an SG.    

14 hours ago, Goredho said:

So what are the options for long scale hollows and semi hollows?  I figure the f-hole teles and Eric Johnson strats have the normal fender 25.5” scale length.  What other (semi)hollows are longer than Gibson’s normal scale length?

Duesenbergs are usually 25.5".   Every one that I have ever played sounded pretty awesome.  The styling can be a bit funky and they are expensive for an Asian made guitar, but the quality is great.  

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I've played a few semi-hollow Rics.  I love the sound buy my experience is that they're too narrow at the nut for my hands.  Trying to make chords my fingers seem to run into each other.  Doesn't keep me from wanting one though.

Love mine10AEB834-3854-4953-B382-7E8728FC222E.thumb.png.06cfcdb7d06ced94696422082d448561.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2021 at 8:55 AM, Chad Fuck said:

On 10/25/2021 at 9:12 AM, Ollie Slatt said:

Duesenbergs are usually 25.5".   Every one that I have ever played sounded pretty awesome.  The styling can be a bit funky and they are expensive for an Asian made guitar, but the quality is great.  

So here's what I've found for long-scale length hollows and semi-hollows, some of which surprised me.  I'm sticking to more ES-style big body types here and leaving out the various strat/tele style semi-hollows that are out there.  All of these are 25.5" scale length.

Gretsch White Falcon
gretsch_1_large.jpg?v=1548705635

Gibson Johnny A Signature
b8qurbzsrltgzjzwwlfd.jpg

Various aforementioned Dusenberg models

ayapmv1dsnbdn51qkpfb.jpg

Eastwood Joey Leone Signature
twlylauengqxd9zdy6t3.jpg

Fender Starcaster
58bf97a63576353905f4b82930534e62.jpg

Reverend Club King
222951.jpg

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

So here's what I've found for long-scale length hollows and semi-hollows, some of which surprised me.  I'm sticking to more ES-style big body types here and leaving out the various strat/tele style semi-hollows that are out there.  All of these are 25.5" scale length.

Gretsch White Falcon
gretsch_1_large.jpg?v=1548705635

Gibson Johnny A Signature
b8qurbzsrltgzjzwwlfd.jpg

Various aforementioned Dusenberg models

ayapmv1dsnbdn51qkpfb.jpg

Eastwood Joey Leone Signature
twlylauengqxd9zdy6t3.jpg

Fender Starcaster
58bf97a63576353905f4b82930534e62.jpg

Reverend Club King
222951.jpg

Nice.  I've always wanted to get a Starcaster since I saw one in The Guitar Handbook back in the day.  So go ahead and do that and report back.  It's what you want to do, right?

• Haha 1

This wall has something for everyone, but if you could only pick one, putting aside raw value, which one would you get? ('56 Les Paul, '64 Firebird, '04 Masterbuilt Number One, '44 D-28)

Side note, as part of the provenance papers with the Firebird, it belonged to Nikki Sixx (bassist, I know, but it's the guitar most similar to the bass he's most identified with).

d7866c27122ca3e674675bb233e2c7d8.jpg

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Nice.  I've always wanted to get a Starcaster since I saw one in The Guitar Handbook back in the day.  So go ahead and do that and report back.  It's what you want to do, right?

Not buying anything for awhile, but I’ll probably start looking at a White Falcon when I get the itch (next week).

Edit to add: it won’t be a star caster.  That thing is fugly.  Looks like an alligator gar with pickups. 

Edited by Goredho

52 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

This wall has something for everyone, but if you could only pick one, putting aside raw value, which one would you get? ('56 Les Paul, '64 Firebird, '04 Masterbuilt Number One, '44 D-28)

Side note, as part of the provenance papers with the Firebird, it belonged to Nikki Sixx (bassist, I know, but it's the guitar most similar to the bass he's most identified with).

d7866c27122ca3e674675bb233e2c7d8.jpg

D28

• Like 1

Not buying anything for awhile, but I’ll probably start looking at a White Falcon when I get the itch (next week).
Edit to add: it won’t be a star caster.  That thing is fugly.  Looks like an alligator gar with pickups. 
As the resident Gretsch freak, I look forward to this purchase. I did not realize a White Falcon had a longer scale. I thought it was the same body size and scale length of a 6120. Learn something new.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:
42 minutes ago, Goredho said:

As the resident Gretsch freak, I look forward to this purchase. I did not realize a White Falcon had a longer scale. I thought it was the same body size and scale length of a 6120. Learn something new.

Surprised me, too.  Seems to not be the case for most other Gretsch models.  I’ve never played one, but I dig the look and the sound would be unique compared to the other guitars I own.  I have some reasons to not make big purchases at the moment, so nothing is imminent, but those reasons could resolve relatively soon.  We’ll see.