The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Dude, this isn’t how things are done around here.

Oh, I know. I got an email from Tone Shop in Addison today. 20% off a good portion of the store for an after Christmas sale though Friday. Trying not to cave and go in.....

My son is off to college next year and it has me looking around and realizing that if we want to downsize at some point, I actually need to start selling some stuff. Watches, guns, instruments...  Then I think about the hassle of dealing with buyers. Baby steps, but I am getting there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 1:07 PM, DougO said:

No Christmas guitars yet? We must have been naughty.

Not a guitar, but Xmas present to myself is upgrading my 6 year old desktop with a nice new computer and getting a decent audio interface and speakers to plug into it. Also gonna download some amp/pedal modeling software so I can start creating some custom guitar tones and doing some basic recording. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Not a guitar, but Xmas present to myself is upgrading my 6 year old desktop with a nice new computer and getting a decent audio interface and speakers to plug into it. Also gonna download some amp/pedal modeling software so I can start creating some custom guitar tones and doing some basic recording. 

Head over to the share your music thread if you don’t mind sharing.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Love the zebra pickups.  Rawk.

They’re 61T and 61R. I haven’t had a guitar with humbuckers (other than the short stint with the Edwards) so I don’t know what to expect.

BTW, I successfully navigated the conversation with the wife easier than expected. I took it into the garage thinking I’d sneak it into the house. She saw it anyway and the conversation went something like this:

Wife: Whose guitar is that? 
Me: It’s mine. 
Wife: You bought a new guitar? 
Me: Yup. It’s going to replace the yellow guitar. 
Wife: But you haven’t sold that one yet. 
Me: This one was a great deal. Couldn’t pass it up. I’ll sell that one.

End of conversation. 

9 hours ago, Superhero said:

Weird wood grain. The guitar is a 2021 model in mint condition. A new one would have cost $2,300 + tax. I got it $1,630 (including shipping) + tax. 

Very nice instrument! It’s not really weird, it is just Gibsons (A) grade maple wood. Very light grain, very little flame. Some prefer the look over the heavily figure of (AAA). Has nothing to do with the sound really, just aesthetic.

What you will notice is it is really, really fucking hard to find a heavily figured top that is cheap. The only one in recent memory was #jimmyjazz R9 that he posted a few months ago. He stole that fucking guitar.

4 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Very nice instrument! It’s not really weird, it is just Gibsons (A) grade maple wood. Very light grain, very little flame. Some prefer the look over the heavily figure of (AAA). Has nothing to do with the sound really, just aesthetic.

What you will notice is it is really, really fucking hard to find a heavily figured top that is cheap. The only one in recent memory was #jimmyjazz R9 that he posted a few months ago. He stole that fucking guitar.

May we see the two investments you mentioned...as I recall you have some glorious flame.

• Hook 'Em 1

Um, excuse me, but it’s clearly been established that the level of figure in the maple, where and when the tree was planted, and whether it was harvested by virgins or not all have a massive effect on tone.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I got some time late last night and this morning to strum a few chords. Unfortunately I couldn’t plug in because… it was late last night and early this morning.

Initial take-away is the neck is comfortable, and the large radius fretboard is something I can get used to quickly. The neck profile is so where between my Tele and a Strat C-shape neck. OTOH, I don’t like the fret wires. They’re pretty low and my almost 40 year old Tele has taller frets.

The previous owner set the action low to make it “faster playing”. All I hear is a lot of fret buzz. I’ll be raising the action when I get home tonight.

My amp is at church so I’ll just be playing through my multi-effects pedal and dialing it in before Sunday. 

Talk me out of this Strat.

I had a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat I regret selling. This one is speaking to me. The vintage white that looks pink. A bit of grain showing through the finish. Maple neck. Pushing all the buttons. 

Screenshot_20211229-190130_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Deej said:

I had a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat I regret selling. This one is speaking to me. The vintage white that looks pink. A bit of grain showing through the finish. Maple neck. Pushing all the buttons. 

To save me a search, school my ass on the difference between a made in Corona Strat, and this Squier? 

Is it Mexican or Korea quality? Better worse? 

Im asking because a friends kid had one he paid $100 new some years ago. It was a basswood body, crappy tuners, etc. what am I missing? 

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

Classic Vibes are the top of the line Squiers. Not basswood. Real hardware. Actually nice guitars, if you can get along with a slimmer neck. Hell, they even come with a bone nut. 

Deej, which CV 50’s Strat did you have before? There was a guy selling a white one with gold pickguard on CL today for $260, looks like it sold. I picked up this used Fiesta Red one with a few bumps and bruises a few months back for the price of a new Bullet.

48D7E2A8-6867-43A5-81B5-D050FFB0353D.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Don’t buy it. I have a S-500 that needs a home. It’s not the color you’re looking for, but it’s probably a better guitar. I’m willing to let it go with a case for cheaper than the Classic Vibe you’re looking at. 

0503F467-0E96-40EF-B3AF-9299CC5F7128.jpeg

On 12/29/2021 at 8:33 PM, Deej said:

Classic Vibes are the top of the line Squiers. Not basswood. Real hardware. Actually nice guitars, if you can get along with a slimmer neck. Hell, they even come with a bone nut. 

I sort of felt that was the case. I honestly never paid attention to “Classic Vibe” distinction. Thought that was a groove thing.