The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I learned over the weekend that coil tapping and coil splitting are not the same thing.

The Les Paul classic has push-pull pots that "tap" the humbuckers. I thought I would get a split single coil sound, but the tap only gave a slight reduction in volume when played clean. I'm a little disappointed, but honestly I was also looking at Traditionals which only had a 3-way switch with no push-pull pots.

It looks like the 61R and 61T pickups are only 2 wire so definitely can't split the pickups. I guess that's why I'm keeping my Tele in case I miss the single coil sound.

32 minutes ago, BERT said:

My guitar purchase keeps getting pushed back further and further. Damn life getting in the way of fun.

But hey, maybe by the time i buy one the Sire L7's will be back in stock lol 

Darrell Braun and Phil McKnight are both really high on Sire guitars, and they seem great for the price. Need a review after your NGD!

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Ok so relic look aside (I know some hate it, I like it), is it crazy to pay $1200 for a Mexican Strat with a pao ferro fretboard? Lots of those Road Worn models floating around.

Yes. Hell, brand new a few years ago they were $899.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/Road-Worn-1950S-Stratocaster-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc  (GC will ship to a store near you)

https://www.proaudiostar.com/fender-road-worn-60s-stratocaster-firemist-gold-w-pau-ferro-fb-used.html

Edited by Deej

38 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Darrell Braun and Phil McKnight are both really high on Sire guitars, and they seem great for the price. Need a review after your NGD!

Yep, been waiting on Darrell to do one on the L7 but i'm guessing he's also having to wait on delivery. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Ok so relic look aside (I know some hate it, I like it), is it crazy to pay $1200 for a Mexican Strat with a pao ferro fretboard? Lots of those Road Worn models floating around.

I wouldn't pay 30% of that amount, and probably not that.  What's the point?

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

I learned over the weekend that coil tapping and coil splitting are not the same thing.

The Les Paul classic has push-pull pots that "tap" the humbuckers. I thought I would get a split single coil sound, but the tap only gave a slight reduction in volume when played clean. I'm a little disappointed, but honestly I was also looking at Traditionals which only had a 3-way switch with no push-pull pots.

It looks like the 61R and 61T pickups are only 2 wire so definitely can't split the pickups. I guess that's why I'm keeping my Tele in case I miss the single coil sound.

Curiosity question. Did you use a tuning fork during your evaluation?

Any suggestions on a STURDY A-frame guitar stand?  Looking for something that'll securely hold a heavy heavy LP without having to worry it'll tip over.

I just buy the cheapos from Amazon. Have 7 or 8 of them. They work fine for all my guitars, including the Les Paul. 5498a742bd9980c923073ea1d9fe0199.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

the one i have on the floor near my desk is a "fretrest" and I'm 99% sure it's whatever inexpensive thing from Guitar Center. I had a Hercules stand that was fine and seemed overbuilt if that's your thing but you're worrying about it too much - honestly it's the normal non a frame guys that worry me from a stability perspective more than the a frames.

I just buy the cheapos from Amazon. Have 7 or 8 of them. They work fine for all my guitars, including the Les Paul. 5498a742bd9980c923073ea1d9fe0199.jpg

Is this a Gibson black beauty? I have a friend who got one a few years ago (and probably over generalizing what that guitar is) and that thing was a) awesome, and b) heavy as shit.

Spoken as a drummer who a) doesn’t know shit but lives guitars and b) is in love with a snare drum also named the black beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Is this a Gibson black beauty? I have a friend who got one a few years ago (and probably over generalizing what that guitar is) and that thing was a) awesome, and b) heavy as shit.

Spoken as a drummer who a) doesn’t know shit but lives guitars and b) is in love with a snare drum also named the black beauty.

Looks like it to me. When I was at GC working at the one in michigan we used to see these come in used all the time. This was the first really nice guitar I ever played. It was at that GC. I was like so I can just plug a guitar in at any time? Like any of them? YUP!  You are correct the are like the heaviest fucking things on the planet 

That’s awesome. As an aside (and again, gentlemen, I’m a drummer) but I bought this little mofo when it was Stupid Deal of the Day and I know not what I do. But I’ve always been interested in mandolins. Anyone have any mandolin pron (or at advice)?e630f5973993b38728e4c66ae59e2daa.jpg

3 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

That’s awesome. As an aside (and again, gentlemen, I’m a drummer) but I bought this little mofo when it was Stupid Deal of the Day and I know not what I do. But I’ve always been interested in mandolins. Anyone have any mandolin pron (or at advice)?e630f5973993b38728e4c66ae59e2daa.jpg

No idea but the rug really ties the room together

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Nice.

Are you Levon Helm?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

i watched an Anderton’s video about relicking (sp?) a guitar and they had some guy darken a fretboard using this shit that his company makes & sells.

IMG_0117_900x.jpg?v=1630493810

https://www.montysguitars.com/collections/department-of-component/products/montys-montypresso-relic-wax

They also make something that doesn’t darken the fretboard, that just conditions it, but this stuff is for Pau Ferro boards and the like.

The original video:

Edited by Napoleon

Yes the LP Custom is known as the “black beauty.” It is awesome and mine at least, an ‘82, is heavy as hell. I think it weighs in at about 15 lbs. Young Chad was a skinny little bugger and that thing would put my leg to sleep if I played it sitting down for any length of time.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BERT said:

My guitar purchase keeps getting pushed back further and further. Damn life getting in the way of fun.

But hey, maybe by the time i buy one the Sire L7's will be back in stock lol 

9 hours ago, Superhero said:

8 hours ago, BERT said:

Yep, been waiting on Darrell to do one on the L7 but i'm guessing he's also having to wait on delivery. 

I found this guy when looking up reviews of Classic Vibe Mustangs. I like his review, their long, but his voice is kind of ASMR, he takes the guitar apart (looks at the pots and measures the pickups), and he looks like a British train wreck. His Sire L7 review…

…And his preferred Sire, the T7

5 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Dress up and go to the faire.

EDD2A30F-8503-497F-B3A0-DAC77723CC9D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yes. Black Les Paul Custom. 96 model. Just had a 25th birthday. Bought it brand new. Think it weighs 11 pounds or so. Not the heaviest one I’ve ever seen. But built like a Steinway piano. The binding is starting to turn nicely.

Has SD Alnico II in the neck and SD Custom in the bridge. Plays like butter. Sounds fantastic. For classic rock type stuff, I’d put it up against any guitar anywhere.

My daughter knows to sell it last when I bite the dust.
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Is there a big ass cobra in that basket? 

I’m not buying now, at least without selling, and I don’t have anything I want to sell.

The thing that intrigues me is the 25.5” scale length (my personal preference) on these 1992 reissues.

It’s just a reflection on that pic.  You can take a look at more in the following listings.

https://reverb.com/item/48550009-gibson-es-350t-limited-edition-1992-in-sunburst?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=48550009

https://reverb.com/item/48833792-gibson-es-350-t-limited-edition-1st-year-reissue-classy-and-clean-1992-burst?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=48833792