The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Does guitar sound improve with age? I pulled my old mid-80s Yamaha out of the case to give it the once over before I give it to my daughter. I forgot I had put Pearse strings on it. Man those things are unforgiving, but I don’t think I’m doing her any favors by putting on Elixirs or whatever. Gotta build up them callouses.

But damn I tuned it up and it sounded nice. Really nice for a 35 year old $150 guitar:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/7zcFe8EnLkE5SiJ5A

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Does guitar sound improve with age? I pulled my old mid-80s Yamaha out of the case to give it the once over before I give it to my daughter. I forgot I had put Pearse strings on it. Man those things are unforgiving, but I don’t think I’m doing her any favors by putting on Elixirs or whatever. Gotta build up them callouses.

But damn I tuned it up and it sounded nice. Really nice for a 35 year old $150 guitar:

Not sure about sound improving with age, but why not make guitar playing more comfortable starting out? If it keeps her coming back to play, it is worth a string change I think. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I don't know if they all sound better as a rule, but I definitely think they *can.*   My first real guitar was an Alvarez Yairi that I got used in the 80's... I paid $250 (read:  "lawn mowing money").  I think the dimensions are identical to a Martin dreadnaught.  I played the shit out of it when I was a teenager - in my obsessive phase of sleeping with guitar next to the bed and reaching for it when I woke up.  When I got older and got a little money, the Alvarez got relegated to the closet for a decade while I bought "better" guitars.  

I had kind of the same experience when I restrung it and listened to it head-to-head against my newer guitars (including that Pelham blue J-45 I mentioned above).  I was kind of shocked at how it sounded every bit as good as the acoustics I had paid about ten times as much for.  

I don't know if it "opened up" with time (i.e the top got more resonant) or if it was always better than I realized.

Edited by Paul Wesley

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I don't know if they all sound better as a rule, but I definitely think they *can.*   My first real guitar was an Alvarez Yairi that I got used in the 80's... I paid $250 (read:  "lawn mowing money").

Best sounding guitar I ever recorded was an Alvarez Yairi.  Those things are fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I pulled my old mid-80s Yamaha out of the case to give it the once over before I give it to my daughter… but I don’t think I’m doing her any favors by putting on Elixirs or whatever. Gotta build up them callouses.

This is as wise as saying “The power steering went out on the car that I’m giving my daughter, but I’m not going to get it fixed because I wouldn’t be doing her any favors if she’s ever going to drive an old car that doesn’t have power steering  

Gotta build up those muscles.

🙄

Insert: “I’m not going to put training wheels on my 4 year-old’s bike.”…

5 hours ago, topochico said:

Not sure about sound improving with age, but why not make guitar playing more comfortable starting out? If it keeps her coming back to play, it is worth a string change I think

BINGO!

Video games don’t start out at Level 99 for a reason.

No one reads “Infinite Jest” in Kindergarten.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

That’s fair. I’ll see what she thinks of the Pearses.

🤯
Unless she works construction and/or shells oysters without gloves, they’re going to hurt her fingers.

All beginning guitarists should start of with the most comfortable.010s that they can afford on acoustic guitars.

Electric guitars should start with .009s and the go from there. 

My older brother was the guitarist in the family and even though he finished Magna Cum Laude at Yale, he’s a fucking dumbass when it comes to relating to another person’s situation. I probably quite playing the guitar 6 to 10 times over the years because he would string up my guitars with what he uses. Finally I learned about the different gauges and I’ve been slowly leaning for the last 20 months. 

I changed out the strings and lowered the action on a Baby Taylor for a 50-something woman I’m friends with and she was blown away as to how much more pleasant the guitar was to play. It made a huge difference and the fucking moron who was in a band and teaching her on the side had told her that changing the strings & their height didn’t really matter. (But she learned that he was a self-serving narcissist not long after that, so things made more sense.)

Change the fucking strings!

21 hours ago, JSB said:

Here is the current playing arsenal less a 12 string I don’t play enough. On my new Gibson, I love that the finish is more of a stain, showing the wood grain through the color. It isn’t just a flat red.

37f89c1d7a014c897c292fd6b86a5225.jpg
c929d2641c95831a7db16137d121461f.jpg
34be282ceffe13dac9c64260560429ab.jpg

Are you a little person?  What's the deal with your putter.  Oh, I I love that guitar.  I've wanted a J-45 for a long time.

$4500, I know the store owner and they said they bought it for $2700, so they may be willing to work on price.  Let me know if you want some contact info and I can get you a bunch more pics if you want.  I played it a bit, not plugged in, but it had a really nice feel to it.  More of a 59 neck than a 60.  It was a heavy sumbitch.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

So unfortunately, I don't think the ES-330 will be staying with me.  I got it back from my tech yesterday and played it for about an hour last night.  I struggled to finger chords near the nut, and today my left arm is sore.  It turns out the late 60s ES-330s have a 1 5/8" nut width whereas all my other guitars are 1 11/16th" or wider nut width.  This all bums me out, because the guitar sounds absolutely fantastic and is definitely a keeper otherwise.  I'll try it a bit more, but I just don't think I can work with this drastic (to my fingers) difference in string spacing.

My tech buddy is trying to talk me into getting vintage parts and doing a restore, says he thinks we can turn a bigger profit.  If I buy the parts, he'll do all the work for free, and we'll split any profit over my cost to buy the guitar and parts.  Looking at things, it'll probably be dumping another grand into the guitar and then there is another couple grand of space between what it cost and what an all original would fetch.

Anyone ever do anything like that?  I'd personally be happy just getting my money out of it and looking for another P90 hollow/semi-hollow that works better for me.

271545760_142610374860433_111291855626604637_n.thumb.jpg.4b6d738d79a6e2213c71ff1c0aec4694.jpg

Edited by Goredho

52 minutes ago, Goredho said:

$4500, I know the store owner and they said they bought it for $2700, so they may be willing to work on price.  Let me know if you want some contact info and I can get you a bunch more pics if you want.  I played it a bit, not plugged in, but it had a really nice feel to it.  More of a 59 neck than a 60.  It was a heavy sumbitch.

Handy guide. 0FEAD652-99D6-465E-81D8-A260244EDA73.png.4330af7c9ddea6f7c906d6cf1a0ed710.png

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Goredho said:

So unfortunately, I don't think the ES-330 will be staying with me.  I got it back from my tech yesterday and played it for about an hour last night.  I struggled to finger chords near the nut, and today my left arm is sore.  It turns out the late 60s ES-330s have a 1 5/8" nut width whereas all my other guitars are 1 11/16th" or wider nut width.  This all bums me out, because the guitar sounds absolutely fantastic and is definitely a keeper otherwise.  I'll try it a bit more, but I just don't think I can work with this drastic (to my fingers) difference in string spacing.

My tech buddy is trying to talk me into getting vintage parts and doing a restore, says he thinks we can turn a bigger profit.  If I buy the parts, he'll do all the work for free, and we'll split any profit over my cost to buy the guitar and parts.  Looking at things, it'll probably be dumping another grand into the guitar and then there is another couple grand of space between what it cost and what an all original would fetch.

Anyone ever do anything like that?  I'd personally be happy just getting my money out of it and looking for another P90 hollow/semi-hollow that works better for me.

271545760_142610374860433_111291855626604637_n.thumb.jpg.4b6d738d79a6e2213c71ff1c0aec4694.jpg

New Goredho guitar in 3...2...1...

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, Superhero said:

I learned over the weekend that coil tapping and coil splitting are not the same thing.

The Les Paul classic has push-pull pots that "tap" the humbuckers. I thought I would get a split single coil sound, but the tap only gave a slight reduction in volume when played clean. I'm a little disappointed, but honestly I was also looking at Traditionals which only had a 3-way switch with no push-pull pots.

It looks like the 61R and 61T pickups are only 2 wire so definitely can't split the pickups. I guess that's why I'm keeping my Tele in case I miss the single coil sound.

The Peavey was so ahead of it's time in terms of wiring.  Toaster pickups that were Humbuckers or single-coil depending on where the tone knob was set.

Refresh my recollection on the details of this one?

On 12/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, Superhero said:

Just listed my G&L Tribute S-500 for sale on FB and Craigslist. I’ll list it on Reverb but would rather not pay their commission.

I think $550 is an awesome deal especially since the guitar is near mint, and I’m throwing in a hard shell case.

If any of you want to  buy it, PM me and we can work out the details. 

D430BB4E-40E2-4D52-849F-8EF5B58114FA.jpeg

5949D96E-900D-4B8F-B16E-81AB3655FE43.jpeg

CDF00288-6876-4A1E-AD25-3825EEED0C8F.jpeg

87DF2109-9C5F-4082-87FD-0E8A5120B1F2.jpeg

I sold the G&L today. No ragrets because I rarely played it. I almost forgot I had it listed on Craigslist because there seemed to be more interest on Reverb. But the guy contacted me yesterday, we we got the deal done in about 24 hours.

I texted my wife, her response was "Yay! Hope it covered how much your new one costed."

"Yeah, sure did, honey. Who knew G&L Tributes had appreciated so much, and the cost of Gibson LPs had dropped like a rock." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1