The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No doubt the pale blue is the nicest looking.  I'd then go green, red, yellow, but none of those are interesting at all.

Plus, that dumb headstock.

That green would be nice if it was letting the grain show through. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I bet that's the nicest strat you can buy off a rack for $850.

i'm not a color technician but that green needs to be a bit closer to british racing green, and then i'd want it.

i don't mind the headstock generally, it looks weird on a strat, the main problem with it is that there's not a ton of real estate for a snark tuner.

With well put together and well intonated guitars, I don't have tuning issues. But I appreciate the... not having the strings bend along that axis to get to the tuning post.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I bet that's the nicest strat you can buy off a rack for $850.

i'm not a color technician but that green needs to be a bit closer to british racing green, and then i'd want it.

i don't mind the headstock generally, it looks weird on a strat, the main problem with it is that there's not a ton of real estate for a snark tuner.

With well put together and well intonated guitars, I don't have tuning issues. But I appreciate the... not having the strings bend along that axis to get to the tuning post.

Do these have the same pickups their big brothers?  If so, it’s a steal.  If not, well, that’s the best thing about the silver sky.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

It's legal pad yellow, for the attorneys who are aspiring guitarists. 

SE is for paralegals.

I’m both sides on PRS. If I’m real, my Les Paul plays and sounds great, if it played and sounded like my McCarty I would think I had the best Les Paul in the planet.

Edited by Celery Man

44 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Beautiful well crafted guitars… what’s to get. To me they are up there with anything I’ve ever played and when you start comparing a $4500 custom shop fender to a $4500 PRS the PRS beats it in every category imo

You aren't wrong, PRS absolutely makes great guitars.  But I'm kind of with Deej in that the design aesthetic differences between the bodies (sleek curves) and the headstock (jagged edges) can seem jarring -- especially so on a Silver Sky.  And of course that has zero effect on how the guitar feels, plays and sounds.

I'm going to get one someday.  Not a silver sky, but probably a custom 24.  Something with a modern voice.  I've got vintage toned guitars leaking out of my anus.  Trampy green ftw.

prs_11-002.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Beautiful well crafted guitars… what’s to get. To me they are up there with anything I’ve ever played and when you start comparing a $4500 custom shop fender to a $4500 PRS the PRS beats it in every category imo

We’ve had this discussion before and I get that there are those that don’t mind that THEY COMPLETELY RIPPED OFF THE MOST ICONIC GUITAR EVER MADE, IN FACT MAYBE ONE OF THE MOST ICONIC CONSUMER PRODUCTS OF ALL TIME, PUT THEIR NAME ON IT, AND MARKET IT LIKE THEY ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING SPECIAL INSTEAD OF SOMETHING ABOMINABLE.

But yea, it bothers me.

/end rant, carry on…

I know some guys that work at Fender HQ here in Scottsdale. I need to ask them why they didn’t sue the shit out of PRS for that. They have to have explored it.

I don’t hate on PRS guitars that much but also see them as just technical geek guitars - and beautiful sounding and well made for sure. But more substance than style if that makes sense.

I live in a little Connecticut town full of finance and lawyer and marketing exec types… and our “School of Rock” equivalent (which I love by the way) played a little festival thing in the fall and there was one kid playing a Nirvana cover on a (admittedly gorgeous) PRS McCarty (I think?) hollow body and it just didn’t compute and made me oddly mad - in a supportive way, of course.

I wouldn’t hate PRS in a session setting or with a Pat metheny type virtuoso but doesn’t feel like the guitar it wants to look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Beautiful well crafted guitars… what’s to get. 

For me, it's simple.  They are beyond ugly.  They are aesthetically irredeemable.  No way would I ever play one -- I mean, for one thing, I'm not a good enough player to pull off the look, but besides that, I've never ever in my life seen a single player make one look good.  They're just horrible looking guitars.  I don't care how good they are.

Does that make me a bad person?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

To clarify, I don’t hate on PRS in general. Just the Silver Sky.

I love what David Grissom does with his.

I saw David Grissom plug into Antone's shitty Fender Esquire and a Champ and sound exactly like David Grissom.  I was 5 feet away.  It didn't sound any different than his PRS through his huge amps.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw David Grissom plug into Antone's shitty Fender Esquire and a Champ and sound exactly like David Grissom.  I was 5 feet away.  It didn't sound any different than his PRS through his huge amps.  

Wait, there's such a thing as a shitty Esquire and a Champ?

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, dcbc said:

On an actual Fender, it would be called "vintage white."  Here's my very early 1990.

tele-vintage-white.jpg

“Banana Pudding w/ Whipped Cream”

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

The beat to hell ones are the best. There's a reason they are beat to hell.

Are we talking about women? Or guitars?

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

“Banana Pudding w/ Whipped Cream”

Before I looked it up, I used to call it "canary yellow."  Doesn't matter though.  #1 of all my guitars, including an AV 52 and an AV 64.  1987--early 1990 American Standards are some of the best guitars they built.  Hand picked wood and assembled by hand before the new factory went into operation in mid 1990.  Only about 500 strats and teles of each color during this three-and-a-half year time period.  Lots of attention to detail to win back player goodwill lost through the then-considered inferior Japanese model Fenders.  And the pickups are fantastic, though I can't recall the specs.  Mine smells of old pipe tobacco from the previous owner.  And if it ever stops smelling that way, I might have to take up smoking.  If you ever come across an American Standard Strat or Tele made between 1987 and June 1990, give it a look.  These are real sleepers.

I2XLq9FKxG6NsLYtzax0cngUfzU6XUbbPQH4ApgX

Mine's a flubbed N_9 serial number.

headstock.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

I bought both an early 90's Am Std (Deluxe) Strat and an Am Std Tele at Ray Hennig's.  I no longer own either.  I'm a dumbass.

Never really got the total hang of that Strat, I had to replace its stupid noiseless pickups with some real deal Van Zandts, but out of the box that Tele was sweet.  I don't even remember why I got rid of it.  Frets got worn out, and that's kind of a big deal on a maple neck, but it wasn't a deal-killer.  I guess I just got the itch.  Or a kid.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I bought both an early 90's Am Std (Deluxe) Strat and an Am Std Tele at Ray Hennig's.  I no longer own either.  I'm a dumbass.

Never really got the total hang of that Strat, I had to replace its stupid noiseless pickups with some real deal Van Zandts, but out of the box that Tele was sweet.  I don't even remember why I got rid of it.  Frets got worn out, and that's kind of a big deal on a maple neck, but it wasn't a deal-killer.  I guess I just got the itch.  Or a kid.

I bought a 94 Strat from Ray Hennings.  It was good, but the 90s guitars don't have the same feel as the late 80s/very early 90 guitars do.  Even the pickups changed in July 1990.  I traded that strat toward this tele, if I recall correctly and didn't own another strat until I picked up my little $300 partscaster with a nearly 40 year old neck several years ago.  It took some getting used to, but I've grown to like it since it's the one that has no case, sits on a stand, and gets played a lot.