The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I believe that the pickups in Jazzmasters aren't technically P90s - how do they stack up sonically?

Yeah, they are pretty different.

Both are single coils, but the JMs are kind of just oversized tele/strat style pickups but are fatter with a more full kind of tone.

P-90s have a bar magnet instead of pole piece magnets (the PAF is constructed almost kind of like a dual coil P-90), and their sound really is kind of a hybrid between the PAF and single coil twang, which is why they are fucking awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Funny sometimes when you learn seemingly basic stuff this late. I thought for the longest time that jazz masters had straight up P-90s. I guess now that’s +1 guitar I need.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Another fun fact:

The J Mascis Signature JM pickups are basically P-90 lite under a JM cover (wider and flatter bobbin but with P-90 construction, with maybe a little less output).

mannnn I been wanting one of those anyways

E13E7990-E302-44C8-9552-9D0DA5A3FECC.thumb.jpeg.77041b1b93dcf043ba87a84cff6c0b09.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

2734CFF3-A28E-494C-8A03-04CED0D68B29.thumb.jpeg.052617fda63148fe7e3af08837010ad7.jpeg08753ECD-FA22-420D-B477-FE6F797C7B2A.thumb.jpeg.161058cc57f25acffba34260d6bf0675.jpeg78098183-C776-4BC8-8E5E-FB1135CDD04B.thumb.jpeg.f73c7349b3d37e3331c81f037e42fc73.jpegOk… I admit I have a problem. I think I may sell my black American tele and my Hendrix Monterey strat and throw it on this…. I mean come on even the head stock haters gotta love this 0258F5CB-BBC9-4CCF-B733-126936580A7E.thumb.jpeg.1aadd43148eeddaebad84dbebe669662.jpeg

How much for the Tele. I'm hanging on for a Surlycaster, but...

Funny sometimes when you learn seemingly basic stuff this late. I thought for the longest time that jazz masters had straight up P-90s. I guess now that’s +1 guitar I need.

mannnn I been wanting one of those anyways

E13E7990-E302-44C8-9552-9D0DA5A3FECC.thumb.jpeg.77041b1b93dcf043ba87a84cff6c0b09.jpeg

I made that mistake in this thread a couple years ago. I had gone through life thinking the same thing.

On 1/17/2022 at 3:42 PM, tbone_ said:

This may be a dumb question, but which amp do you think he's using here?  The Vox or Fender?  I'm leaning towards the Vox due to a little bit of "chimey" sound, but my inexperience tells me that could be any number of things.  Great song.  The entire show was spectacular.

33 minutes ago, tigol said:

This may be a dumb question, but which amp do you think he's using here?  The Vox or Fender?  I'm leaning towards the Vox due to a little bit of "chimey" sound, but my inexperience tells me that could be any number of things.  Great song.  The entire show was spectacular.

He appears to be using a pair of '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton edition amps.  Reverb is outboard, apparently.

If you pause at the 30 second mark, you can see them behind him.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/62-Princeton-Chris-Stapleton-Edition-12W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Brown-1500000258494.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-WVhNG89QIVRBXUAR1FLQliEAQYASABEgJ0n_D_BwE

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

He appears to be using a pair of '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton edition amps.  Reverb is outboard, apparently.

If you pause at the 30 second mark, you can see them behind him.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/62-Princeton-Chris-Stapleton-Edition-12W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Brown-1500000258494.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-WVhNG89QIVRBXUAR1FLQliEAQYASABEgJ0n_D_BwE

Well.....I guess we can nix the JM pickups as the tone master.    

12 minutes ago, DougO said:

I keep hearing from the artists that tone is all in the fingers.

I always kinda think its mostly bullshit.

"Tone" per se is certainly a function of a lot of things, but the player has SOMETHING to do with it.  A great player's style is, in my opinion, very recognizable regardless of gear.  Tone?  Well, the gear is part of that equation, but not all of it.

Y’all are ignoring the most critical of all elements of tone: the lower slung the guitar, the better the tone. It’s pure science, to wit:

7a52eb83cdbcb51ed1850ead5d822868.jpg
310cd6fedc284ae6957327d3db14908f.jpg
f8ee26912364d8f13b0d567dff02913e.webp

Also often scoffed at by people who don’t know shit is the requirement for a 100 watt, very old Marshall. The more the better. This rig would be a good start

50c0a3d3a22eefb58456432be8091088.jpg

Last, don’t over look the positive effect that spandex/pleather pants can can have on tone either. Makes a big difference

bc502de22986d6c8515b83c2af20d52f.webp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

"1.  A Battery Sounds Better Than an AC Adapter With A Fuzz 
2.  A Vintage Style Carbon Zinc Battery is Better Than a Modern Alkaline Type
3.  A Fuzz Sounds Best When the Battery Is Just About to Die
4.  DIfferent Brands of Batteries Sound Different."

https://andrewmartinmusic.net/blogs/the-laboratory/posts/a-battery-of-tests-part-i-fuzz-face

On 1/16/2022 at 8:57 AM, Superhero said:

For that price range, you should also look at the Yamaha FGX800 (dreadnought) or FSX800 (orchestra body) guitar.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FGX800C--yamaha-fgx800c-dreadnought-cutaway-natural

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FSX800C--yamaha-fsx800c-concert-cutaway-natural

I got a FS800 for my niece and it played really well for a beginner level acoustic. 

I like Yamaha guitars and often find one that seems like a bargain for the quality. But I ended up ordering this Alvarez "Folk Guitar", similar to the second Yamaha you linked.

https://www.adorama.com/alaf30ce.html

I started wondering what the heck a "folk guitar" was and saw Alvarez also uses that classification, most others don't seem to. But the Alvarez version has a 1.75" nut width, vs 1.675 that everything else at the same price range has, which is something I really wanted.  Nobody close has them in stock to try in person so I took a shot on getting a good one. Adorama had theirs priced $30 cheaper than the rest and I do a lot of business with them. Looking forward to trying it out, but it's on special order so not going to ship for a week or two.

Edited by DougO

I was checking out some upper end Alvarez guitars also, but they don't come with dots. I hate that. I gotta have dots on the fretboard. A friend of mine recently had one and it kinda drove me nuts. I'm not good enough to play without dots. The tiny dots on the edge don't work for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Deej said:

"1.  A Battery Sounds Better Than an AC Adapter With A Fuzz 
2.  A Vintage Style Carbon Zinc Battery is Better Than a Modern Alkaline Type
3.  A Fuzz Sounds Best When the Battery Is Just About to Die
4.  DIfferent Brands of Batteries Sound Different."

https://andrewmartinmusic.net/blogs/the-laboratory/posts/a-battery-of-tests-part-i-fuzz-face

My old Pedal Power 2 used to have two outputs where you could set them to mimic a dying 9 volt battery.  I honestly couldn't hear the difference.

2 hours ago, DougO said:

I was checking out some upper end Alvarez guitars also, but they don't come with dots. I hate that. I gotta have dots on the fretboard. A friend of mine recently had one and it kinda drove me nuts. I'm not good enough to play without dots. The tiny dots on the edge don't work for me.

you need to spend some time playing a gretsch with the hump inlays. that way in the future if you're playing a neck without markers and find yourself looking at the fretboard you'll be like

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1