The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The goat Stayin Alive cover

According to the comments below the video on YouTube, the singer passed away a couple of weeks ago. 🥺

R.I.P. Marty

I lived fairly close to there for about 7 years and don’t believe that I ever went there. Bummer all around. 

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Leave the toggle between the 4th and 5th position.

So 4 = Bridge and Neck and 4.5 = All 3?

Is this specific to this model?

My first guitar that I picked out (learned on some cool hand-me-downs from my uncle) when I was about 16 was an 1978 Ibanez PF230 (3 humbuckers).  First position Bridge.  Second position:  Middel and Bridge  Third position Middle and Neck. 

Edited by dcbc

And while I'm thinking about it.  The cool hand-me-down guitars I learned on were a 1962 Gibson LG-0, which I still have, a 1960s no-name Japanese import strat-ish with a single Teisco gold foil pickup.  There also was a Ventura Bass from the 60s.  Other than the LG-0, the Ibanez was a nice upgrade.

And while I'm thinking about it.  The cool hand-me-down guitars I learned on were a 1962 Gibson LG-0, which I still have, a 1960s no-name Japanese import strat-ish with a single Teisco gold foil pickup.  There also was a Ventura Bass from the 60s.  Other than the LG-0, the Ibanez was a nice upgrade.

Rules motherfucker.

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Rules motherfucker.

Definitely don't have pictures of the Ventura or the Japanese Import.  I'll have to go remove the LG-0 in all it's crackle finish glory from cold storage.  I'll have to see on the Ibanez.  Pretty sure there are no pictures.  I sold it back in the late 90s.  I just got done looking for it on the webz.  Mine later had a Seymour Duncan pickup in the bridge for some reason I cannot recall.  Which if, unchanged, would make it easier to spot (no cover).

Sorry about the incomplete post back there.  Let's try this again, way too much analysis, but what the hell:

On 2/2/2022 at 7:00 AM, tbone_ said:

Can anyone tell what chord voicings Bruce is playing here? I tried for a few min yesterday but couldn’t quite get it. Sounds like maybe they’re in A#m vs original key of Fm.

Also can’t quite make out if he has the capo on 1 or 2

Piqued (or peaked, or picked, or poked) by your post, I used the Ice Day to do a little investigating.  I think I've got almost all of it (with one exception.  I even have diagrams and everything!

There are 2 basic chords he's using in the intro.  The thing is, sometimes he sounds certain strings, and other times he mutes (dampens) them.   First though, 2 prerequisites: 

1.  He almost certainly tuned his low E string up a whole step to F#/Gb). 
2. Capo on first fret (obviously by now).

So this intro has 2 basic chords, although they're not straighforward:
1) First chord - Bbm7 (more or less).
2) Second chord - Eb/Bb (that's Eb with a Bb bass, or "second inversion" as we theory nerds like to say).

Now for each chord:

1) This one was sort of easy to get because his fingers are somewhat clear in the video - here he is playing the first chord (Bbm7):

brucehand.png.85c40dad8a9f83387c044f364703ed47.png

You can see here that he's clearly using his ring finger (4) to play the low E string on the 3rd fret (capo on first); and that his thumb is wrapped over the low E on the 2nd fret (he'll need that next).  That note is sounding on the E string is a Bb.  There is no way he can get that note unless he tunes his low E string up a whole step (to an open F#/Gb) and presses on the 3rd fret to sound the low Bb.  The rest of the chord is essentially kind of a natural C chord hand position, only he uses his ring finger (4) also to block off (dampen) the A string while playing the low E string Bb, (they're the same pitch).  Capo'd up 1 fret, this produces the Bbm7 chord.  Diagram below has the other fingerings.

2) The second chord was a little tougher to get since nowhere in the video is it clear what his fingering is (too dark).  But he clearly moves his entire hand up the neck, in this case essentially 2 frets or so.  The sure part is that he slides his (2) and (3) fingers up 2 frets proportionately.  As best as I can tell, he then has his thumb (1) mute the low E string, and simply plays the open A string, producing the same Bb bass note.  He almost has to do it this way because if you see the video, his hand clearly moves up 2 fret positions, and there's no physical way he can play the low E string Bb anymore.  So he has to mute it and use the open A.  The other trick is he dampens the G string, either by using his (3) finger which is pressing the D string, or by taking his now free (4) finger over and dampening the G string.  He seems to weave between sounding only the B and D strings alone, or the B and D along with the now-open A string (sometimes he adds this bass note, other times he leaves it out).  I might have heard a chord or two where he actually lets the open G sound, but almost always not.

I think he likes to play the Bbm7 low Bb on the E string with his (4) finger instead of muting that one and simply playing the open A string because he can control the muting and it gets that funky sound.

He never strums the high E string, I don't think he uses a finger to dampen it, but I'm not sure (he could use the (5)), but I also see him pulling the 5 down on the A string, not sure if that's a pull off or just a reaction).

This is probably way overanalyzing the case, but it's pretty cool.  Hopefully the diagram makes it pretty simple(?).

Now I think this is pretty close, but even if not exact, the sound is 99% what I hear on the intro in the video.  Anyway, it's kind of a cool, funky sound.  Lemme know how this works.
chords.png.adfee21de64fb4e02e9151079926ebd7.png

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

I could buy all sorts of pedals and she'd never know. I really do think if I could sneak it in I could get another guitar in here without a comment. But if another case showed up in the big storage closet she'd murder me in my sleep.

I'm going to spend a chunk of my bonus this year on finishing up my office - going to splurge on one of those nice wooden string swing guitar stands as well as a case stand, should help

CC29-BW__56009.1605040315.jpg?c=1

version-3__69761.1611269903.jpg?c=1

man, one thing I've discovered that has been great - my wife bought me the fancy Airpod Max headphones, which do great noise cancelling but also have a "transparent" mode which mixes the room audio with whatever you're listening to. Playing along with music while wearing those has been awesome. It's so helpful to be able to hear what you're doing in context with other instruments.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I could buy all sorts of pedals and she'd never know. I really do think if I could sneak it in I could get another guitar in here without a comment. But if another case showed up in the big storage closet she'd murder me in my sleep.
I'm going to spend a chunk of my bonus this year on finishing up my office - going to splurge on one of those nice wooden string swing guitar stands as well as a case stand, should help
CC29-BW__56009.1605040315.jpg?c=1
version-3__69761.1611269903.jpg?c=1

man, one thing I've discovered that has been great - my wife bought me the fancy Airpod Max headphones, which do great noise cancelling but also have a "transparent" mode which mixes the room audio with whatever you're listening to. Playing along with music while wearing those has been awesome. It's so helpful to be able to hear what you're doing in context with other instruments.

I bought my R8 around March 2020. Hung it up on the wall. I had pulled it down and was practicing with it four or five months later and left it in a stand by itself. Only then did she say, “Wait, is that new guitar? That’s a new guitar!”
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I bought my R8 around March 2020. Hung it up on the wall. I had pulled it down and was practicing with it four or five months later and left it in a stand by itself. Only then did she say, “Wait, is that new guitar? That’s a new guitar!”

. . . and the correct answer, without lying, is "no, I've had this forever".  Prove otherwise, honey.

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife is a very practical, raised by Japanese mom and navy dad where indulgence did not exist. Every purchase has to have a reason type. I had to really twist her arm to buy a nice purse for once. She doesn't understand guitar purchases. Like you seen one you seem them all. I am sure i would be safer by cheating on her than buying another car without her input.

Thank God she's hot.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

My wife is a very practical, raised by Japanese mom and navy dad where indulgence did not exist. Every purchase has to have a reason type. I had to really twist her arm to buy a nice purse for once. She doesn't understand guitar purchases. Like you seen one you seem them all. I am sure i would be safer by cheating on her than buying another car without her input.

Thank God she's hot.

I feel like you're admitting you're failing on pics on multiple levels here. 

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sorry about the incomplete post back there.  Let's try this again, way too much analysis, but what the hell:
Piqued (or peaked, or picked, or poked) by your post, I used the Ice Day to do a little investigating.  I think I've got almost all of it (with one exception.  I even have diagrams and everything!
There are 2 basic chords he's using in the intro.  The thing is, sometimes he sounds certain strings, and other times he mutes (dampens) them.   First though, 2 prerequisites: 

1.  He almost certainly tuned his low E string up a whole step to F#/Gb). 
2. Capo on first fret (obviously by now).

So this intro has 2 basic chords, although they're not straighforward:
1) First chord - Bbm7 (more or less).
2) Second chord - Eb/Bb (that's Eb with a Bb bass, or "second inversion" as we theory nerds like to say).

Now for each chord:

1) This one was sort of easy to get because his fingers are somewhat clear in the video - here he is playing the first chord (Bbm7):

brucehand.png.85c40dad8a9f83387c044f364703ed47.png
You can see here that he's clearly using his ring finger (4) to play the low E string on the 3rd fret (capo on first); and that his thumb is wrapped over the low E on the 2nd fret (he'll need that next).  That note is sounding on the E string is a Bb.  There is no way he can get that note unless he tunes his low E string up a whole step (to an open F#/Gb) and presses on the 3rd fret to sound the low Bb.  The rest of the chord is essentially kind of a natural C chord hand position, only he uses his ring finger (4) also to block off (dampen) the A string while playing the low E string Bb, (they're the same pitch).  Capo'd up 1 fret, this produces the Bbm7 chord.  Diagram below has the other fingerings.
2) The second chord was a little tougher to get since nowhere in the video is it clear what his fingering is (too dark).  But he clearly moves his entire hand up the neck, in this case essentially 2 frets or so.  The sure part is that he slides his (2) and (3) fingers up 2 frets proportionately.  As best as I can tell, he then has his thumb (1) mute the low E string, and simply plays the open A string, producing the same Bb bass note.  He almost has to do it this way because if you see the video, his hand clearly moves up 2 fret positions, and there's no physical way he can play the low E string Bb anymore.  So he has to mute it and use the open A.  The other trick is he dampens the G string, either by using his (3) finger which is pressing the D string, or by taking his now free (4) finger over and dampening the G string.  He seems to weave between sounding only the B and D strings alone, or the B and D along with the now-open A string (sometimes he adds this bass note, other times he leaves it out).  I might have heard a chord or two where he actually lets the open G sound, but almost always not.

I think he likes to play the Bbm7 low Bb on the E string with his (4) finger instead of muting that one and simply playing the open A string because he can control the muting and it gets that funky sound.

He never strums the high E string, I don't think he uses a finger to dampen it, but I'm not sure (he could use the (5)), but I also see him pulling the 5 down on the A string, not sure if that's a pull off or just a reaction).
This is probably way overanalyzing the case, but it's pretty cool.  Hopefully the diagram makes it pretty simple(?).

Now I think this is pretty close, but even if not exact, the sound is 99% what I hear on the intro in the video.  Anyway, it's kind of a cool, funky sound.  Lemme know how this works.
chords.png.adfee21de64fb4e02e9151079926ebd7.png

Thanks for that. Defiantly a deep dive.

This perfectly illustrates why I am a hack guitar player. I can almost never figure out how someone is playing something precisely. I usually just come up with a way to sound close.

So on this tune I looked at a bunch of YouTube videos and came up with my own way that is kind of based on Bruce’s vibe. But I play it in E so I can drone on the Low E in places. Also I try to limit the odd tunings. Plus it fits my voice. I also add in the iconic keyboard lick because I think you kind of have to.

This is kind of what we do on some of our songs, go find a cover that’s cool and a little different and copy that.

Why is the Duo Jet the perfect stage guitar?  

For me its several things that juat suite me. I love Filtertrons, individual volume controls for the pickups and a master volume (which is exactly where its most accessable), Bigsby - which i actually use subtly (sometimes not so subtly), and the ebony fingerboard with neo-classic fretmarkers combined red side dots on white binding make seeing your position easy at a glance in any lighting condition even with aging eyes.

Most Gretsch's give you those things. The Jet also gives a pretty light guitar thats heavy enough to balance out the neck, and it gives you wide open access to all the frets. A bonus on this one is that it has a standby / cut switch.

I'm posting a pic of the neck joint below. Its flat and seamless. I can't even see where the body and neck pieces meet. I'd think it was a neck through if not for the binding.

Duo jet is a perfect stage guitar.

Y’all’s name has grown on me, it’s a good… memorable like either a saying or a pun but not as corny or non-googleable
I like the name a lot but I don't know how long we'll have it. Our drummer always complains that she has to explain to her friends that it's "Dirty Years" and not "Dirty Ears". I like that it sounds like several things, once you hear or see it correctly its hard to forget.

20220208_164314.jpg
  • Like 1

A5C4EABD-9557-425C-90CD-3F55C6350D84.thumb.jpeg.0b4207c429501d280ed752ca0d0b75d3.jpeg

This is a guitar that has a Prince Albert 

a) to dress and secure it’s extra large package in tuxedo trousers and keep it from being distracting at black tie events

b) it likes it because it is a freak

I love filtertrons - they have great chime and dynamics and are humbucking. The duo is basically hollow - it’s not out of control like a big hollow body in front of the amps on a big stage, but it feels like it almost could be (and it’s light and perfectly balanced). I do love the look of the tuxedo duojet. It’s so slick. A point that feels nitpicky that I love about Gretsches and hate about Gibsons - the pickguard is secure and sturdy.

I don’t know if science backs me up, but I also feel like trapeze guitars have more chime. That guitar strummed hard chiming in front of the loud chimey ef86 Matchless made me obsessed with hitting open strings for a while.

Ditto on the neck joint/build quality. Butter. Also, I love mahogany.

5B570990-CFC5-47A7-992C-C2355A621C31.thumb.jpeg.2011ca9d5c07a299b43404f83e86129b.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

weird delay double post

also, flame =\= quilt, discuss

I use the term flame when light hits the finish at a 45 degree angle, and displays a similar quality to actual flames. The shit comes alive on a good example. I know others who use it to describe the type of figure in the wood.

Quilt on the other hand is the amount of figure shown in the wood. whether lines or stacks doesn’t matter to me. Any AAA will have both. A lot of figure, and finished correctly will dance in light.

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

II don’t know if science backs me up, but I also feel like trapeze guitars have more chime. That guitar strummed hard chiming in front of the loud chimey ef86 Matchless made me obsessed with hitting open strings for a while.

I kind of hear that, too.  I've read people speculating that the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece tend to vibrate enough to add some chimey overtones, and that some people don't like it and stick something between the strings to dampen them between the bridge and trapeze.  I'm like LET 'EM RING!

AUTF - I like the name. It’s hard af to come up with a good band name these days.

My old cover band had a hell of a time coming up with something. We ended up going with Riverside Drive which is not terrible but not great either.

I wanted The Agony of Defeat but no one else would go for it.

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Interesting - I always assumed that flame = lines, quilt = that other kind of figuring, but I often find I’m wrong about those kinds of things.

And by definition you wouldn’t be wrong. My angle is the value I place on the iridescent quality only some LP’s possess. A shit ton of them have stripes (flame), but few have that unique quality. I will pay extra for that characteristic. 

Edited by Scooter Monzingo
I’m old, I fuck shit up

AUTF - I like the name. It’s hard af to come up with a good band name these days.

My old cover band had a hell of a time coming up with something. We ended up going with Riverside Drive which is not terrible but not great either.

I wanted The Agony of Defeat but no one else would go for it.