The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

6 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

And by definition you wouldn’t be wrong. My angle is the value I place on the iridescent quality only some LP’s possess. A shit ton of them have stripes (flame), but few have that unique quality. I will pay extra for that characteristic. 

Don’t worry, Gibson will make sure you do pay extra for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn’t want to have both my 330 and 335 in the same burst color, so I listed my ‘61 ES-335 reissue and bought the ‘64 cherry reissue below.  She’s a sultry voiced beauty.  Now I’m really done — until a Romeo LA pops up in the states.

There is a Surly discount if anyone wants that 61 custom shop reissue.  Shoot me a PM.

E823065B-981C-4EC7-BC14-A2647C4EBC04.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

AUTF - I like the name. It’s hard af to come up with a good band name these days.

My old cover band had a hell of a time coming up with something. We ended up going with Riverside Drive which is not terrible but not great either.

I wanted The Agony of Defeat but no one else would go for it.
Naming a band is one of the hardest things to do. I have great ideas I like all the time, but then you have to sell that to 3 or 4 other people who have ideas of their own.

I thought Vary Mary was ok, but not great. We spent weeks coming up with it. Everybody in the band initially met at St Mary's Pub, so it had a connection, wasn't taken, and fit.

We had to come up with Dirty Years on short notice, they needed something to put on a flyer by morning. We were in the same bar after practicing and said nobody leaves until we have a name. We were down there until 3am. We went down several rabbit holes, some serious and some just funny. I kinda liked "Grandma's Friend". Finally we started thinking something to do w time because there is a 20 year age gap between me and the drummer, and 10 between me and the other guitar player. We were way down that path when the singer said "Dirty Years" and that was it from the moment it came out of his mouth. Part because of the age gap, part because it was a band that really formed as drumming lessons during the darkest part of the Covid lock downs, and part because it can be interpreted any way a person wants.

/csb
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for putting up a great listing Goredho. Nothing drives me battier than reading about a ding or scuff and the the seller not showing a single image of the actual issues they describe. I hope you get top dollar for it. It is a great looking guitar. Unless you sell it to someone on here. Then, I hope we can see more pics and a description of how they basically stole the guitar from some sucker desperate to sell.....

I agree with the consensus above. Cherry is simply sublime.

Edited by topochico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, topochico said:

Thanks for putting up a great listing Goredho. Nothing drives me battier than reading about a ding or scuff and the the seller not showing a single image of the actual issues they describe. I hope you get top dollar for it. It is a great looking guitar. Unless you sell it to someone on here. Then, I hope we can see more pics and a description of how they basically stole the guitar from some sucker desperate to sell.....

I agree with the consensus above. Cherry is simply sublime.

Yeah, I'm not desperate to sell, but it would be cool for it to stay in the family around here, so to speak.  These custom shop reissues are a sizeable chunk of change, even at a very good used price.  It might take awhile to move it.

GUITAR “REPAIR” QUESTIONS:

1) If the resin/ glaze/ clear coat on the side of a fretboard binding o has an indentation, is it fairly easy to add additional clear coat/ resin/ super glue stuff to the indentation to fill in a half millimeter or so and then sand it down?

for about 2-3 frets, there is an indentation that then makes it feel like a slight ridge when hitting the wood of the neck.

image.thumb.jpeg.94088ddcdfda9eab64162cdd31b73829.jpeg

2) Is the an easy fix for shitty dots on the binding?

Maybe tiny drill and the nail polish or some other goop that can be sanded smooth?

image.thumb.jpeg.eccb5cda0da154a55ce631e3830a14e1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9a1846f3b8d8efbb4bf52baba1ded868.jpeg

Thanks

I can’t personally answer your question, but there are lots of guitar repair/mod DIY vids on YouTube.  Also, the Gear Page has a luthier forum where you’d get a lot of knowledgeable opinions.

Edited by Goredho
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?forums/luthiers-guitar-bass-technical-discussion.29/
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Cu24 is more of a standard PRS and is probably what I (someone who values that) would get. I don’t know a ton about that specific McCarty but sonically I would expect it to be less modern sounding. If you wanted more blues rock than modern rock you might look at that. But you should check my work.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

WTF happened?!? When I live in Argentina in the mid 90s, there were no fatties.  It was all hotties.  Dammit Argentina.  

Just got back from Argentina last week. Maybe I have selective eyesight, but I saw more hotties than fatties!  There are still gorgeous women everywhere you look down there.