The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Grandpa and I did a swap of guitars for Xmas this year.  He finally handed over his 1967 Gibson B25 and in return I got him a Collings OM1.   Wasn't an equal value trade and wasn't supposed to be.  Grandpa has wanted a Collings for years and this was the first year I could afford to get him one.  There were definitely tears flowing.

• Like 8

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Grandpa and I did a swap of guitars for Xmas this year.  He finally handed over his 1967 Gibson B25 and in return I got him a Collings OM1.   Wasn't an equal value trade and wasn't supposed to be.  Grandpa has wanted a Collings for years and this was the first year I could afford to get him one.  There were definitely tears flowing.

Hell yeah.  Well done.

3 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

• Like 1

Yeah that's awesome, Glen.

tbone - the really great wedding/party bands seem to be in the 7-10k range.  Of course I'm talking about pro bands with multiple singers, horns, keys, etc.
The few people I've known that have been in them say it ain't worth it unless you really need the $$$.

6 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Good shit! Love it

This Ben Folds tune has an acoustic guitar army that comes in near the end.  

I think it's brilliant.  The arrangement, the idea of doing one of the most misogynistic songs of all time as a thoughtful songwriter ballad...

I ain't been out a second, and already I gots to do some motherfucking chin checkin'...

2 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

This Ben Folds tune has an acoustic guitar army that comes in near the end.  

I think it's brilliant.  The arrangement, the idea of doing one of the most misogynistic songs of all time as a thoughtful songwriter ballad...

I ain't been out a second, and already I gots to do some motherfucking chin checkin'...

I saw them at Bass that year.  Opening band sucked shit through a straw.  All the girls we were with (college... sophomores) wouldn't shut up about how great the opening band was.  The Fray.

20 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Maybe I saw a different show(?).   The show I saw was Ben Folds with "Y Music" (I think that's what they were called), which was like three or four string players and three or four horns.  Can't remember who opened.    

I definitely saw him in.... 2005 or 2006, because I was living at the apartment I was at whenever we won the Rose Bowl against USC.  And I had broken up with Kristin, and put that Ben Folds "Bitches Ain't Shit" on my MySpace page, and we saw him when he was touring with that Australian bassist, and The Fray opened up before they were ever big, and they sucked ass and were trying to get the crowd to sing choruses or something.

On 4/10/2018 at 10:48 AM, Deej said:

Someone over on TDPRI found this...lulz 2a423f9d323c5633217a7fb893b57638.jpg

John Mayer is so awful that he singlehandedly makes Dead & Co. completely unappealing to me. He's obviously very technically proficient but his voice and even his guitar tone are just nauseating. Actually now that I think about it he is kind of the PRS of guitar players. Sure it's well made, there's clearly skilled craftsmanship and attention to detail going on, but somehow it all just adds up to being really bland and offputting at the same time.

Look at this thing. Fuck this thing. It looks like how John Mayer sounds.

dragon2.jpg

I think those are badass.

Speaking of JM, did this get posted? I finally got around to watching the whole thing. I think he comes off pretty well in it, and he explains a lot about the SS without beating around the bush (like all the interviews with PRS). And man can he play.

https://youtu.be/PFun8pNFriM

Oh and Dead & Co is unappealing because they play Grateful Dead songs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

John Mayer is so awful that he singlehandedly makes Dead & Co. completely unappealing to me. He's obviously very technically proficient but his voice and even his guitar tone are just nauseating. Actually now that I think about it he is kind of the PRS of guitar players. Sure it's well made, there's clearly skilled craftsmanship and attention to detail going on, but somehow it all just adds up to being really bland and offputting at the same time.

dragon2.jpg

Yeah, I've seen them twice now, and I don't think I can take him anymore.  I appreciate what he's trying to do, but he can't play any of Jerry's modal and chromatic stuff.   It's all blues cliches, apart from what he just copies from Jerry.  He plays the straight up blues songs better than Jerry, but that's a small percentage of songs.  And his voice is killing me. 

I mean I suppose it's one of the cooler things I might expect to see hanging on the wall of an accountant's office

To be fair, about 75% of people bitching about guitarists who are professionals at something else are fat white guys who have played Mustang Sally while wearing a Hawaiian/bowling shirt.

35 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

dragon2.jpg

I like it a lot except for the goofy dragon thing.

45 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

To be fair, about 75% of people bitching about guitarists who are professionals at something else are fat white guys who have played Mustang Sally while wearing a Hawaiian/bowling shirt.

I've never done those two things at the same time.

• Like 1