Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

On 4/16/2018 at 9:30 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

What's the deal with Mickens?  Aggy legacy but has visited Texas often and sounds like he wants an offer real bad.

Mickens didn't get an offer. 

And yes,  he really wanted one.  

43 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Beating out USC for a Mater Dei kid is a big ask, but would be very impressive.

Indeed but the fact that we'd move into his top 2 right away if we offer is pretty telling. He's definitely a better fit for our offense...Rojo and Young in back to back classes would be pretty fucking dope. 

2020 visitors list per IT

RB Zachary Evans, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX): This kid must love Texas. He’s made plenty of appearances in Austin, usually following trips to other places. It's almost as if he sees a school, then returns to the ATX to show loyalty or compare the two. The man for 2020, running backs like Evans are hard to find and even harder to land. UT has been huge here early but this one has a long way to go.

ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson (Duncanville, TX): QB, slot, ATH...he can move. Texas looks good early and they plan to keep it that way. New Texas assistant receivers coach, Rashaad Samples, should have a good feeling for the Duncanville prospects. His father, Reggie, is the head coach there after a successful run at Dallas Skyline.

*WR Demond Demas, North Forest (Houston, TX): Top 5 player in-state and a national recruit. Quiet and reserve, until he hits the field. Hard luck kid will be a great story one day. And he'll be starting on Team Must-Get in 2020. 

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX): This kid is good. UT's newest in-state offer is well-deserving. Speed, quicks, body control...I'll guess a better version of Arjei Henderson. 

WR Collin Sullivan, Round Rock High (Round Rock, TX): We've spoken about Sullivan in high regard at IT, for good reason. Long for his 6-1 height, fast, good hands, and good ball skills. Three of the top WRs in 2020's class will be on campus tomorrow - Demas, Omeire, and Sullivan. To say Sullivan covets a Texas offer would be a large understatement.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (League City, TX): Remember people saying that offensive linemen are a dying breed in Texas? Well, the 2019, 2020, and 2021 classes disagree. Lindberg is one reason. A&M has the early edge, but it's really early. He's also an excellent student. 

DE Alec Bryant, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX): He's coming back after a visit two months ago. Lots of upside for a salty d-line class in 2020. 

S Darius Snow, Hebron (Carrollton, TX): Safety, linebacker...he's a football player. Physical, athletic, with a calm confidence, he's a take. And he loves Texas. 

S Chris Thompson, Duncanville: He might very well be the best safety in-state for 2020. Duncanville is loaded with underclassmen and he's the best. He visited during Junior Day weekend. 

ATH Khalan Griffin, John Tyler (Tyler, TX): The Chapel Hill transfer will be the QB for John Tyler over the next two years, and despite his small stature (5'9), Texas likes him at QB. He's a playmaker in every sense of the word. I expect video game-like numbers from him for the Lions. 

OL Smart Chibuzo, Hightower (Missouri City, TX): The 6-foot-5, 290 pounder looks like a future offer. Currently he has no recruiting profile that I saw but that will change. Reminds of Buck Major size-wise and athletically, though Chibuzo is further along technically at this same stage.

OL Akinola Ogunbiyi, Kempner (Sugar Land, TX): Picked up an A&M offer last month. Interior player on both sides of the ball but he for sure projects to offense. Good length for guard at 6-4.

CB Myles Shlusher, Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK): I got a chance to see Myles two weeks ago at the Under Armour camp. He's very fluid, in and out of turns, no wasted motion, and really quick. LSU loves him. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

That's a long way to come down to Texas to enjoy some Washington weather. :\  

Info from Washington's 247 site after a visit there :: 

Hatchett said he's planning on a trip to the eastern part of the state to check out Washington State and then he'll head down to Oklahoma for their spring game and he'll also make a swing into the Lonestar State to visit Texas and Texas A&M.

"With Washington State, I will either go next week or for their Junior Day, I am not quite sure yet," Hatchett noted. "I'm excited to get down to Texas to check things out down there and of course I have family in Oklahoma, so it'll be great to get back there to check them out again and see their spring game.

"I'm planning on visiting (UW) at least one or two more times before the end of the spring and I know coach Huff will be up to see me this spring. I am also looking at the Dirt Dawgs camp in June, but I'm still working out my schedule with baseball and other things, but I want to get down for that camp again because I feel like I learned a lot last year."

Hatchett is rated as a four-star prospect and is ranked the number five offensive guard in the country and number 156 overall by 247 in the 2020 class.

It doesn't look like we're really pushing for anyone yet, (and conversely, nobody we're really interested in seems to be ready to commit). If Zach Evans committed right now we would take him without hesitation but it looks like that recruitment is going to go on for a while.

12 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Smart move by the Texas coaches...

I give you credit. Despite all the ridicule, you stuck to your guns that Texas was interested in this kid and you were right. 

Now that being said, I hope you're just as correct when it comes to Garrett Wilson.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

I give you credit. Despite all the ridicule, you stuck to your guns that Texas was interested in this kid and you were right. 

Now that being said, I hope you're just as correct when it comes to Garrett Wilson.

I don't think anyone thought UT wasn't actually interested. It's just fun to make fun of L94's love of LT players.

And if he's on the money re: Wilson, I'll happily wire him 9.95

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't think anyone thought UT wasn't actually interested. It's just fun to make fun of L94's love of LT players.

And if he's on the money re: Wilson, I'll happily wire him 9.95

I certainly didn't think UT was THAT interested to make him an offer considering he's an athlete. But apparently, the kid is actually the real deal. I too, ridiculed LT94 for his views. And although I stand corrected, I reserve the right to ridicule him in the future.

2 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Thanks. I was just about to ask this question.

Over/under on the minutes before LF94 says no wait he’s the greatest QB of a generation and it will be a QB offer after game 2 for Lake Travis this fall?

well he is a cross between joe montana, john elway, and tom brady so im not sure what else i can say!

i think this was a very smart move by the coaches. it helps offset the very real Baldwin effect from Ohio State and it puts Texas in the perfect position to offer at QB if after the second game, Hudson is as dominant as we all know he will be. they dont call him Hudson "jim thorpe" Card for nothing! 

i think its a good sign wrt Wilson.

• Like 1