Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

10 hours ago, runthebone said:

Maybe he said “Europe” meaning “Albania.”

I would have written Poland, but most Americans can only find Europe on a map. Didn't want to go too far beyond most IQ levels. But should have considered I was on Surly. All Mensa, all the time.

4 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Give me Johnny Wilson, Mookie Cooper, Jake Smith, Bru McCoy and Marcus Washington in a 5 wide receiver set with Jordan Whittington in the backfield and I'll put that up against any group of skill players in the country. 

That should open up the running game for Sam.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Stampede: Outlook of Longhorns' 2020 prospects

2019 is in the books, and the Longhorns are already working on the 2020 recruiting cycle. Texas holds three commitments so far in the 2020 class, and are in good position with many other prospects. Let’s look at where things stand and set the table for the upcoming class.

Offense

QUARTERBACK

Texas holds a commitment from Hudson Card, and there is a lot of excitement within the program around his future development. The offseason departures of Cameron Rising and Shane Buechele could lead to a second quarterback take.

The Longhorns have an offer out to Fort Bend Marshall quarterback Malik Hornsby, but contact has been up and down with him, and sources tell us that Texas A&M is the favorite.

Texas also has offers out to California quarterbacks DJ Uiagalelei and Bryce Young. Uigalelei does not appear to have serious interest, but Texas could re-engage with Young if he were to defect from USC. Young and his family had a good relationship with Tim Beck, and the Longhorns were high on his list prior to his commitment.

RUNNING BACK

Texas has invested a lot of time in Zach Evans over the past two years, and the five-star North Shore running back is the top priority. Evans visited Austin more than any other city during the last year, and the Longhorns hosted him for their elite visit day. The Longhorns will likely see this recruitment through until the end. Texas does appear to be looking at multiple prospects for the position, and the companion piece could be Ty Jordan or Mookie Cooper. Jordan is more of a traditional running back with slot versatility, while Cooper is a slot receiver prospect. Texas is in a good position with Cooper, and could probably land Jordan if the staff makes a push for him. Texas is also recruiting Seth McGowan and Jase McClellan, but has work to do in both of those recruitments. Out of state backs who could factor into the conversation include Kendall Milton, Jo'Quavious Marks and Sam Adams II.

WIDE RECEIVER

In-state receiver talent is down for this cycle, and the Longhorns only have offers out to Texas A&M commit Demond Demas and four-star prospect Troy Omeire. Texas will undoubtedly extend more offers during the spring, but this could be a smaller group after two big classes. Demas will have an interesting recruitment until the day he signs, and Texas made up a lot of ground with Omeire during the fall.Grayson’s Ryan King is a darkhorse to land in this class, and Calabasas (Calif.) five-star Johnny Wilson will also be an interesting recruitment to watch after landing Bru McCoy from the same area.

TIGHT END

This is a position that will likely see more targets added during the spring evaluation period. Texas was in a good position early for De'Gabriel Floyd’s teammate Seth Figgins, but Figgins ultimately chose to commit to Oregon.Sammamish (Wa.) Eastside Catholic’s D.J. Rogers indicated some early interest, but Texas will need to battle with the best in the country for his services. Ranchview ATH Mikey Henderson is another player who could play an h-back role, and Texas is in his top group of schools along with Oklahoma.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Texas landed two interior prospects before the 2019 class was even finished.Logan Parr and Jake Majors provide a great foundation for what could be a very strong offensive line class. Texas is also in a good position with four-star offensive tackle Chad Lindberg, though a visit to Stanford looms large in his future. The Longhorns are also in a good position with Port Neches-Groves offensive tackle Jaylen Garth. The former teammate of Roschon Johnsonis high on Texas, but Texas A&M and Alabama will pose a threat. North Shore offensive tackle Damieon George will be an important target because of his athletic ceiling and relationship with Zach Evans. The Longhorns are also chasing Memphis (Tn.) tackle Chris Morris after hosting him for a visit in the fall. Oak Park (Mi.) offensive guard Justin Rogers is another prospect to monitor after expressing interest in Texas, but his recruitment feels like more of a longshot. — Mike Roach

Defense

DEFENSIVE LINE

Much like the offensive line, Texas has the chance to pick up some big time talent along the defensive front in 2020.The Longhorns are in a strong position for three versatile defensive end prospects in Prince Dorbah, Vernon Broughton and Alfred Collins. Dorbah is more of a traditional defensive end, while Collins could play the 4i and Broughton might eventually grow into a nose. We can say with some confidence that Texas is in the lead for Broughton and Collins, and are in the top three for Dorbah. Oscar Giles is doing a great job establishing relationships in this class, and that should pay dividends for the Longhorns. The Longhorns are also in the picture for Manor DE Princely Umanmielen. The staff has also offered several out of state prospects, but it’s too early to determine where Texas stands with players like Chantz Williams, Xavier Carlton and Myles Murphy. Texas isn’t seriously involved for true defensive tackle prospects, but have shown in the past the staff prefers to grow their own interior players.

LINEBACKER

After signing a big linebacker class in 2019, Texas is slowing down their process in 2020 at the position. With talent down in-state (again), the only in-state target on the board is Bishop Dunne linebacker Brennon Scott. The Longhorns were late to offer, but they have done a nice job building a relationship with the versatile defender.Cy Creek linebacker Josh White is another player who could emerge as a target down the line. The big priorities at the position include Upland (Ca.) linebacker Justin Flowe and Seattle (Wa.) Garfield linebacker Sav'ell Smalls.The Longhorns did a nice job building an introductory relationship with Flowe, and they are expected to get him on campus for a visit. The acquisition of Bru McCoy along with De'Gabriel Floydshould help their efforts with west coast prospects. Smalls is probably a longer shot at this point, but he expressed interest in making his way to Austin on several occasions.

CORNERBACK

Texas took a blow early when Cibolo Steele cornerback Jaylon Jonesannounced his commitment to Texas A&M. Jones was a huge target for Texas, and this marks the second year in a row the Aggies scored a big victory from the San Antonio area. Texas will likely continue to pursue Jones, but are now playing at a disadvantage. Mansfield Timberview cornerback Jalen Kimbernow becomes an important in-state target, and Texas has work to do with him as well. Kimber was offered by the Aggies during the summer, and he made several visits to College Station during the fall. The priority target for Texas is Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro cornerback Kelee Ringo. Ringo is arguably the top corner in the nation, and he made multiple visits to Austin last year. Ringo is coached by former Longhorn Bryant Westbrook, and Tim Beck has connections in Arizona due to his history there. Texas is also in the running for Jacksonville (Fla.) cornerback Fred Davis and Sandalwood (Fla.) cornerback Jahquez Robinson.

SAFETY

Craig Naivar stacked two straight classes of talented safety groups, and will try to replicate that in 2020.Duncanville’s Chris Thompson is the top in-state option, and the combination of Naivar and Ra’Shaad Samples (son of Duncanville head coach Reginald Samples) has the Longhorns in strong standing. C.E. King’s Bryson Washington is another prospect high on Texas after being offered by the Longhorns last year. The Longhorns are also recruiting Hebron’s Darius Snow,who could be a rover prospect, and Shadow Creek’s Xavion Alford, who would be a perfect nickel. Texas extended a national offer to Tuscon safety Lathan Ransom, who is close with Kelee Ringo.

ATHLETE

Texas has a number of athlete offers out, but Ja'Quinden Jackson is likely one of the top players on their board. The Duncanville star could play quarterback, h-back, linebacker or rover. Like Thompson, the relationships in this recruitment are paying off early. Buford’s T Lee is another prospect who could factor in at cornerback or receiver. The Arizona State commit just received his Texas offer, and he could make a spring visit. Carthage’s Kelvontay Dixon is the younger brother of Texas running back Keaontay Ingram, and he has the type of spooky athleticism to be a factor at receiver or cornerback. — Mike Roach

Dallas Parish Episcopal head coach Daniel Novakov has a bit of a unicorn on his hands. The private school program is home to elite 2021 quarterback Preston Stone, who already holds a whopping 40 offers on the recruiting trail. “Kliff Kingsbury was the first one,” Novakov said. “I remember it vividly because it was Valentine’s Day. He called while I was in the car with my wife, and he said he thought Preston was special and offered. I knew he was going to get a bunch of offers because of Kliff’s ability to identify quarterback talent.”

Stone broke out as a freshman on varsity at Parish Episcopal. He followed that up with 3,531 yards and 44 touchdowns through the air and 444 yards and nine touchdowns on the ground as a sophomore.

Novakov was quick to compare Stone to one of the greatest college football quarterbacks ever as well as a future Hall of Famer. “He reminds me of Johnny Manziel with Peyton Manning’s processing ability,” Novakov said. “He’s probably not quite as athletic or spontaneous as Manziel, but he has the cerebral capability of Manning to read defenses. Couple that with his unique athletic ability, and that makes him special.”

While Stone has racked up plenty of attention early on, Novakov said his young signal-caller is handling it with a humble mentality. “I think the thing people don’t realize about Preston is he’s more about his teammates than he is himself,” Novakov said. “If anything, he deflects the attention. He’s more interested in being a leader and a good teammate. He’s mature beyond his age. He’s everything you want in a young man.”

Texas holds 100 percent of Crystal Ball predictions early on as the Longhorns have put themselves in a great position at this point in the process. Novakov spoke highly of offensive coordinator Tim Beck and the Texas program. “Coach Beck is great,” Novakov said. “A lot of guys in this business are great guys, but when he comes around, I just love to sit and talk with him. He was a Texas high school coach. They do a great job at Texas. They beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. What they do offensively fits Preston. If you watch Sam Ehlinger and Preston, they are kind of similar. Sam is more physical, but they play a similar game.” At 6-foot-2, 185 pounds, Stone is ranked as the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback and No. 6 overall prospect in the country in the 2021 class, per 247Sports Composite. — EJ Holland

10 minutes ago, ausjala said:

I would have written Poland, but most Americans can only find Europe on a map. Didn't want to go too far beyond most IQ levels. But should have considered I was on Surly. All Mensa, all the time.

MENSA gets a lot of play. MENSA will take anyone who scores in the top 2%ile on a recognized test. The UT student population is largely top 7% of top 90% of their original school class (top 6.3). 75th percentile SAT at UT is 1410, and 98th nationally (MENSA level) is ~1480. So chances are that most of us Surly idoits had MENSA-level classmates in pretty much every course we took (not counting our own 15% or whatever MENSA). Of course, Surly may be biased in favor of the far-below-7% outliers.

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Cheap beer, pretty architecture, and Polish girls? Not a bad life.

Connect each adjective with the most appropriate noun. 

Cheap                           Girls

Polish                            Beer

Pretty                            Architecture

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

MENSA gets a lot of play. MENSA will take anyone who scores in the top 2%ile on a recognized test. The UT student population is largely top 7% of top 90% of their original school class (top 6.3). 75th percentile SAT at UT is 1410, and 98th nationally (MENSA level) is ~1480. So chances are that most of us Surly idoits had MENSA-level classmates in pretty much every course we took (not counting our own 15% or whatever MENSA). Of course, Surly may be biased in favor of the far-below-7% outliers.

Wait you only need a 1480 to be MENSA? Pretty sure my parents would have disowned me if I got less than that.

EDIT: Just checked because I found it hard to believe. Turns out it's even lower. 1420 puts you in the top 2% of a nationally representative sample. A 1470 gets you in the top 2% of SAT test takers.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Connect each adjective with the most appropriate noun. 

Cheap                           Girls

Polish                            Beer

Pretty                            Architecture

Cheap Girls. Polish Architecture, and Pretty Beer?

31 minutes ago, satyanash said:

OFFENSIVE LINE

Texas landed two interior prospects before the 2019 class was even finished.Logan Parr and Jake Majors provide a great foundation for what could be a very strong offensive line class. Texas is also in a good position with four-star offensive tackle Chad Lindberg, though a visit to Stanford looms large in his future. The Longhorns are also in a good position with Port Neches-Groves offensive tackle Jaylen Garth. The former teammate of Roschon Johnsonis high on Texas, but Texas A&M and Alabama will pose a threat. North Shore offensive tackle Damieon George will be an important target because of his athletic ceiling and relationship with Zach Evans. The Longhorns are also chasing Memphis (Tn.) tackle Chris Morris after hosting him for a visit in the fall. Oak Park (Mi.) offensive guard Justin Rogers is another prospect to monitor after expressing interest in Texas, but his recruitment feels like more of a longshot. — Mike Roach 

I assume we are also recruiting Joshua Braun.

22 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Wait you only need a 1480 to be MENSA? Pretty sure my parents would have disowned me if I got less than that.

EDIT: Just checked because I found it hard to believe. Turns out it's even lower. 1420 puts you in the top 2% of a nationally representative sample. A 1470 gets you in the top 2% of SAT test takers.

The SAT is back on the 1600 point scale. Top 2% on the 2400 point scale was 2150+

22 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

You can't use an SAT test result to qualify for MENSA unless it was taken before 1994.  SAT is an aptitude test - not an IQ test.

40 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

"I would have written Poland, but most Americans can only find Europe on a map. Didn't want to go too far beyond most IQ levels. But should have considered I was on Surly. All Mensa, all the time."

Like me, I am one chromozone  over a potato. 

Well, as I have pointed out before, potatoes have 48 chromosomes.  

IT

HUDSON CARD

The first pledge from UT’s Class of 2020 turned out to be its quarterback take. Just like in 2019, with Roschon Johnson, the Texas staff identified and landed its top target to kick off another class. That’s a good habit to get into. 

Card, like Johnson, is a quiet, lead-by-example type of leader, who is already impressed with UT’s early returns from the 2020 squad. 

“I think we look really good so far,” said Card, the 6-foot-2.5, 180-pound dual-threat. “With guys like (Logan) Parr and (Jake) Majors already in the fold, we’re building a great offensive line.”

Tell me more, Hudson. 

“We’re working on guys like (Chad) Lindberg and (Jaylen) Garth, and really want to keep building with Zach Evans,” Card said. “I love our focus on the o-line and running back early.”

But just how big can this 2020 squad get, considering Herman just inked back-to-back Top 3 classes? 

“The sky is the limit for us,” said Card. “We’ve already got some big-time playmakers on campus, and there’s more to come. When it’s over, we’ll put together a special group of players.” 

As for today, Card is focusing on upcoming camps like The Opening and Under Armour. He’ll hit the Dallas or Houston events, if not both. The Elite 11 is a personal goal. So is leaving Lake Travis on a high note. 

“State is always our goal,” Card said. “We came short a couple times, but I really want that ring before I leave here. That’s our standard.” 

Hopefully, it’s UT’s standard by the time Card steps on campus. He’ll enroll early next January. 

XAVION ALFORD

It was known Shadow Creek had an impressive defense heading into the 5A state championship. One factor was the multi-versatile Alford, who has his eyes set on the Longhorns, among the teams in pursuit. 

“I do like Texas,” said Alford. “It’s in my home state. They’d be getting a ball-hawking, aggressive, smart, and vocal defensive back.”

The 6-foot-1, 181-pound defensive back - he played cornerback, nickel, and safety in 2018 - from Shadow Creek HS in Alvin will see LSU on the 16th, and OU on the 23rd. 

He’s already gotten offers from some big programs in February. Texas, Florida, Florida State, and A&M all joined the fray recently, adding to his 32 offers including Michigan, Oregon, and Penn State. 

He wants to make to it Austin in March or the spring game. For in-state DBs, Alford is near the top of the priority list. 

JUNIOR DAY WEEKEND PRE-PREVIEW

It’ll be interesting to see how many elite prospects will trek to Austin through the spring. February and March are filled with dates to host the nation’s best like a five-star linebacker, Justin Flowe, from California. 

Here are some early names and confirmations for this weekend’s Junior Day festivities. We’ll have the full list on Friday and we’ll also be on campus for Saturday and Sunday’s events, so expect more players to appear, like the handful who tweeted tonight. You’ll get more detail on those in the Humidor... 

RB Kendall Milton, Buchanan (Clovis, CA) - February 23rd

RB D'Aunte Prevost, Bowie (Arlington, TX)

RB/Slot/ATH Mookie Cooper, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MS) 

WR Caleb Medford, Henderson (Henderson, TX) - March 3rd

WR Keith Miller, The Colony (The Colony, TX)

TE Shamar Thomas, Kountze (Kountze, TX)

TE Bayne Tryon, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX)

DE Martez Poynter, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO)

DL Sawyer Goram-Welch, Longview (Longview, TX) (2/17): SMU and Air Force joined La Tech, Baylor, and few others for the under the radar Welch. At 6-foot-4, 275, the senior-to-be has the Longhorns attention. 

DE DeSanto Rollins, Trinity Episcopal Day School (Natchez, MS)

DE Robert Wooten, Stafford (Houston, TX): “This is going be my first time at UT, and I’m looking forward to it. Coach Orlando and coach Giles came down to see me recently. I’m thinking they’ll offer soon. I’ve always loved UT, so I’m really looking forward to this visit.”

Herman likes this; he’s throws the discus this year, and runs the 400 and 300 hurdles, which he intends to continue. At 6-foot-3, 233 pounds. 

Multiple schools are picking up in this prospect, whose tape might be the best seller of all. 

LB Corey Flagg, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX)

CB Dwight McGlothern, Trinity Christian Academy (Cedar Hill, TX): “I’m ready to get back to Austin. I was at the UT-Iowa State game last year. Live.”

CB Ryan Watts, Little Elm (Little Elm, TX)

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX): Quotes above.

26 minutes ago, Fud said:
12 hours ago, satyanash said:

Carthage’s Kelvontay Dixon is the younger brother of Texas running back Keaontay Ingram, and he has the type of spooky athleticism to be a factor at receiver or cornerback. — Mike Roach

wat 

Wait--what's the confusion?  I thought it was widely known they were brothers?