Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

TFB on Card:

Hudson Card: Saturday night Texas extended an offer to Lake Travis (TX) ’20 QB/ATH Hudson Card. I actually caught up with Card on Friday night after he let me know he was going to visit Texas this weekend. He wasn’t expected an offer to come this early from Tom Herman and his staff. Mostly because Card played WR along with superstar 2019 WR Garrett Wilson in 2017, not much QB. That’s because now Ohio State QB Matthew Baldwin was the Lake Travis starter.

Card told me Texas has been recruiting him more as a QB, and that they wanted to see him more in person this season before extending an offer. Well, that didn’t happen and Card is very excited about it. He told me on Friday that Texas “was one of the schools I grew up loving”. I personally think the Longhorns are going to be tough to beat in this one if Card is their guy at QB in 2020.

I also think he’s a really good fit for Tom Herman’s offense, as he’s a great athlete. He caught 69 passes for 1,137 yards and 13 TD’s, rushed for 459 yards and 6 TD’s on 66 attempts, and also threw for 606 yards and 6 TD’s and 3 INT’s as just a Sophomore. I saw him in person during the 6A State Championship game vs Allen. QB Matthew Baldwin went down on the first drive and Card almost led LT back and looked really solid at QB.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I want two QBs. Would you be against Card and Young in the same class?

Me? I would love it! I want whatever is best for Texas. But I dont know if either Card or Young would agree to it. 

I dont know if we need 2 in 20. Ehlinger, Rising, Thompson, Roschon, and Card or Young is pretty nice QB room.

Edited by Longhorn94

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Didn't IT say Card was offered as an ATH?

yeah. I wasn't quite sure to interpret the TFB quote; either one of the two services is wrong, or the TFB guys meant that they've been talking to Card about playing QB up til this point but decided to extend the offer for ATH immediately and continue to evaluate for his QB potential.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

yeah. I wasn't quite sure to interpret the TFB quote; either one of the two services is wrong, or the TFB guys meant that they've been talking to Card about playing QB up til this point but decided to extend the offer for ATH immediately and continue to evaluate for his QB potential.

I would imagine the staff wants to evaluate his qb play before promising him at qb. 

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

I would imagine the staff wants to evaluate his qb play before promising him at qb. 

That's logical. The pitch is probably something like "we think you're a dynamic player who can make a difference at UT in various roles, but we would like to evaluate you further before guaranteeing a shot to compete for QB."

IT (mix of 2019 and 2020 stuff in there)

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

After wrapping up a productive spring with the guys in Austin, the Texas coaches hit the road yesterday. Here's a few stops and more.

- Coach Beck and coach Mehringer visited Lake Travis this morning to see Garrett Wilson and Hudson Card. Beck also flew out to California yesterday to see 2020 Mater Dei QB Bryce Young. I expect an offer soon.

- Coach Naivar is in DFW to see Jalen Catalon (Mansfield Legacy), Darius Snow (Lewisville Hebron), and Chris Thompson (Duncanville) this week. He saw Snow this morning.

- Coach Hand is supposed to see Branson Bragg (Crandall) and EJ Ndoma-Ogar (Allen), then possibly Houston for Johnson (Conroe Oak Ridge), Shepherd (North Forest), and Green (Humble Atascocita) next week.

- Coach Orlando is in Cali to see Texas commit DeGabriel Floyd (Westlake Village), Bru McCoy and Chris Steele (Mater Dei), then will check out Justin Flowe (2020 LB), who picked up an offer.

- Coach Giles will see UT pledge T'Vondre Sweat (Huntsville) this week. He missed the Spring game due to personal matters. Giles also stopped in Kansas yesterday to see 4-star DE Marcus Hicks.

- Coach Warehime will head to Chandler, Arizona to visit TE Brayden Liebrock this week.

- Coach Meekins and/or coach Mehringer will see Austin Bowie WR Elijah Higgins this week.

- Coach Drayton stopped by IMG Academy to see Noah Cain and Trey Sanders yesterday. We fully expect Sanders to visit Texas this summer or this fall.

West Mesquite's Dylan Wright will get a visit this week. Unsure from whom, but Texas is still the lead dog in this recruitment.

Because of the number of recruits UT hosted last weekend, they'll see a few of those in the coming weeks.

I'll be at Port Neches-Groves tomorrow to catch up with Roschon Johnson, then hitting Newton to see the stable of D1s. Then Lufkin on Thursday to visit with their seven D1s.

RECRUITS REACT POST-SG

DARIUS SNOW (2020 offer): "Man, I loved it. The people, the players, the coaches, everyone made me feel at home. I had a phenomenal time. I just enjoy being in the city. Whenever I do come, Texas always shows a lot of love and, in a sense, it feels like home."

CHRIS THOMPSON (2020 offer): "It was wonderful."

MYLES SLUSHER (new offer, 2020): "The visit was real good, love it down there. It was just like when I walked in the environment was great... definitely somewhere I would want to play. The coaches keep it at all times and about business.

RAFITI GHRIMAI (UT '18 signee): "Really nice. Got to see my brothers again. Can’t wait till may. [Coach Hand] is intelligent with teaching us our stances and has a high football IQ in general."

ZACH WILLIAMS (new offer, 2019): "The family atmosphere, the genuine feeling that the coaches truly care about the players as they develop into young men and the style of play on the football field. I liked it all. I believe Texas football is headed in the right direction under the leadership of Coach Herman. I could see the buy-in from the players. The fans that showed up for the game told me that the state of the Texas football is very strong. Watching the style of play of the hybrid OLB/DE is something I would strongly consider."

AKINOLA OGUBIYI (2020 OL): "It went really well. The people at Texas really stand out for sure. The fan base was strong. It was a great atmosphere."

KHALAN GRIFFIN (2020 QB/ATH): "This weekend was a blast for me, this was the first time my entire family came along. The coolest part was my little nephew and nieces got badges with their names on them and got to come out on the field. It’s truly a great time every time I go. Seeing the team on-field really motivates me to train and grind harder. This year I plan to study the game and become a sponge my motto this year is 'it’s not about what you can’t do. Focus on what you can do and control. There’s an opportunity in everything and every game, compete every game, every practice and every play and never stop learning.' My dad once told me that 'the game will teach you everything you need to know if you willing to embrace your faults and make the change. Focus on what you can control and don’t worry about the rest.'"

CHAD LINDBERG (new offer, 2020): "I enjoyed everything I saw. It really looks like they have a good thing going there. It was awesome to be a part of that...All of the ones I’ve visited stand out. After a visit I like the school more. I need to visit as many as I can before I will really have some stand out, but Texas was impressive, no doubt."

3 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Any idea where Young would be ranked nationally? 

#1 DT QB -- #7 Cali player - #38 player overall  (via 247) -- so he's going to be a high 4* from the jump. 

for comparison -- Card is #2 DT - #20 in Texas - #167 nationally. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, Machinator said:

That's logical. The pitch is probably something like "we think you're a dynamic player who can make a difference at UT in various roles, but we would like to evaluate you further before guaranteeing a shot to compete for QB."

You always give them a shot to compete for QB. See Manziel and RG3