Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

Rivals has an article where three regional/national guys pick where the top west coast targets who attended the LA camp end up

LB Jordan Banks- Bama, Bama, Washington
WR Gary Bryant- USC, USC, USC
LB Justin Flowe- Texas, Texas, Bama
WR John Humphreys- Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Stanford
RB Kendall Milton- LSU, Ohio State, LSU
DB Clark Phillips- A&M, A&M, Oregon
CB Kelee Ringo- Texas, Georgia, Ohio State
RB Bijan Robinson- UCLA, OU, Ohio State
LB Noah Sewell- Oregon, Oregon, Oregon
TE Darnell Washington- Alabama, Alabama, Georgia

Uh so are we just glossing over the fact that 2/3 picked us for Flowe without him even visiting yet? That's very nice. He and Ringo are the top two guys on that list for us imo.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I can accept it. I don’t have to like it. Two 5* RBs would suck. A lot of focus is on DBs predicted to go to aggy. My point is just that we don’t play aggy; we play OU, and no one seemed to notice their being predicted to get a second 5* back. 

One person predicted it.

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Remember how recruiting went Charlie's last year when everyone knew he was a dead man walking? Remember how the three best players in Texas went to Ohio State? This year Helton = Charlie and Texas = Ohio State. 

Yeah, I know. But Strong at least looked good for those guys during the offseason when there was still hope. Helton seems to have busted out on them before the games have even been played.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Two players that rivals has fairly high in state. One even crystal balled to Texas and Ihave heard zero in regards to these guys visiting and or any other news. Anyone seen them play? Thoughts?

https://247sports.com/player/collin-sullivan-46037998/

https://247sports.com/Player/Avery-Helm-46048347/

Avery Helm tore his ACL during the season I think.  Teammate of Hornsby.

6 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Two players that rivals has fairly high in state. One even crystal balled to Texas and Ihave heard zero in regards to these guys visiting and or any other news. Anyone seen them play? Thoughts?

EJ mentioned Sullivan in his Periscope. Thinks he's a mid- to high-3* type player that Texas has contacted and could circle back to late in the cycle as a secondary/tertiary option

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

California is fucking stacked this year. Clark Phillips being picked for aggy makes me laugh.

On their own fucking page that lists his interests, they have 7 schools listed as warm -- 6 western schools and Notre Dame.  aggy is listed as one of his cool interests.  So where the hell is that coming from?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Good lord Helton might be worse than Strong. 

He’s Strong if Strong got a fourth year. We probably don’t sacrifice enough children to to the football gods to give the requisite amount of thanks for that Kansas loss. If any of you have a least favorite you’re willing to part with, go ahead and PM Derka so he can have @Get ln My Van and @Hank Scorpio come pick them up.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

LB Justin Flowe- Texas, Texas
CB Kelee Ringo- Texas

FBU5.gif

1 hour ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Dude. It’s rivals. You should’ve stopped there.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

On their own fucking page that lists his interests, they have 7 schools listed as warm -- 6 western schools and Notre Dame.  aggy is listed as one of his cool interests.  So where the hell is that coming from?

That cool/warm label is all fucked up. I’ve seen guys who are openly declaring one school or another to be their favorites and then those schools are listed as “cool” on the recruiting profiles. It’s not always accurate. So he may actually be cool on aggy, or the thing may be fucked. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

He’s Strong if Strong got a fourth year. We probably don’t sacrifice enough children to to the football gods to give the requisite amount of thanks for that Kansas loss. If any of you have a least favorite you’re willing to part with, go ahead and PM Derka so he can have @Get ln My Van come pick them up.

By the third quarter of that Kansas game I was quietly hoping it would end in a loss.  That was the only way CS was going to be replaced that year and thank goodness it happened.

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s Strong if Strong got a fourth year. We probably don’t sacrifice enough children to to the football gods to give the requisite amount of thanks for that Kansas loss. If any of you have a least favorite you’re willing to part with, go ahead and PM Derka so he can have @Get ln My Van and @Hank Scorpio come pick them up.

FBU5.gif

Dude. It’s rivals. You should’ve stopped there.

Helton is way worse than Strong. Strong at least had high levels of success before and was an innovative DC at one point in time. Helton was bad at the time and with hindsight. Strong was decent at the time and was ever so slightly less bad with hindsight. Helton is impressively terrible in ways that continue to blow my mind.

But more importantly for us this year, he's flamed out on top recruits this year before the season. This makes life good for us. Ohio State at least had to wait to get Texas guys until 5 games into the season before they could feel good about it 

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Helton is way worse than Strong. Strong at least had high levels of success before and was an innovative DC at one point in time. Helton was bad at the time and with hindsight. Strong was decent at the time and was ever so slightly less bad with hindsight. Helton is impressively terrible in ways that continue to blow my mind.

But more importantly for us this year, he's flamed out on top recruits this year before the season. This makes life good for us. Ohio State at least had to wait to get Texas guys until 5 games into the season before they could feel good about it 

I could see that argument at the time of their hiring, but not now. Helton went 10-3 in 2016 and 11-3 in 2017, with a total record if 32-17 in 4 years.. Charlie never even achieved a winning record in a single season here. They both suck and Charlie would’ve flamed out on finishing the 2017 class and in even starting the 2018 class if he stayed another year, just like Helton is now. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I could see that argument at the time of their hiring, but not now. Helton went 11-3 in 2017. Charlie never even achieved a winning record here. They both suck and Charlie would’ve flamed out on finishing the 2017 class and in even starting the 2018 class if he stayed another year, just like Helton is now. 

That was all Sam Darnold. Had nothing to do with Helton. And yeah they both sucked. No one here is denying that.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I could see that argument at the time of their hiring, but not now. Helton went 10-3 in 2016 and 11-3 in 2017, with a total record if 32-17 in 4 years.. Charlie never even achieved a winning record in a single season here. They both suck and Charlie would’ve flamed out on finishing the 2017 class and in even starting the 2018 class if he stayed another year, just like Helton is now. 

Helton had depth and a QB...however I see your point

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

I’m a little unsettled by the Robinson prediction to OU. We actually have to play them, and that would give them two 5* RBs to go with their receiving haul from 2019. 

Meh. I expect them to have the best offense in the country every single year until I'm told otherwise. So long as they don't get a good defensive coach and avoid getting too much defensive talent I am OK.

35 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I am sure aggy has told Phillips he could start for them right now and with them bringing in another class without a real CB, they can promise instant playing time next year too. 

11 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I am sure aggy has told Phillips he could start for them right now and with them bringing in another class without a real CB, they can promise instant playing time next year too. 

..and the only team that will test your coverage skills is Alabama who may have Tua on the roster still

Suchomel says that he texted with   Memphis Freedom Prep Academy offensive lineman Chris Morris. 

The Rivals100 member (No. 34 nationally) told Suchomel he'll be back in Austin at some point this spring to watch a UT practice. He doesn't have a date set but said "I know I will be there." That visit would mark the THIRD time he'll have been on the UT campus.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Txsbigeasy1 said:

for you anything!

You're really improving.  The transition is almost seamless here.  I don't know if this would interest you but the texasfootball Instagram put up this picture of Junior Angilau.  I immediately thought of Jason Momoa's Aquaman.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals top 70 for Texas released.  Garth is a 4* at #35 in-state ( previously 3* I think ).

Other notes is Collins is #65, Ryan Watts moves in at #51, Dorbah dropped to a 3* ( #50 ), George dropped big time and Eaton is in the top 70.

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2020/texas

Collins at #65? Not a take.

/Renegade

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1