Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

A couple snippets from Eric Nahlin:

I hollered at [Josh White] last Saturday and was going to see him but he was in Baton Rouge. I should have hit him up yesterday.

Per the Lindberg recruitment, I still expect him to take all of his visits. Pressuring him is the wrong tactic.

There’s talk of the OL commits taking their OVs May 3-5 with Lindberg. Not set in stone yet.

Not much info on Bijan yet but just to throw something out there he spent a lot of time talking to Jamaal Charles.

Broughton had a great, productive visit. And not per VB so you know it isn’t croot-speak. He’s bonding with the commits for sure.

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

For what it's worth, OU's 247 mod CB'd him to Texas a week and a half ago, and hasn't changed it post-OV.

also in that post from a while ago where they were asking prospects where they thought other prospects were going, he thought everyone was going to Texas

11 hours ago, texaslong said:

RB Bijan Robinson, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic - "The spring game was great.  I got to meet a lot of people.  I loved everything about Texas and what they have going for them."

RB Brandon Campbell - "The Atmosphere at the Stadium Was Amazing! It was everything I expected from my childhood favorite school! I definitely want to Come back out here and build a relationship with the staff. I really like what they got going on I can see myself playing here. I always have been able to envision that."

RB Cam'Ron Valdez, Rockdale - "The atmosphere was crazy."

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin - "It was a bit cold, but it was a good game.  I had fun and saw a lot of people get reps.  I liked that the ball was in the air every other play."

WR Latrell Neville, Houston Willowridge - "It's probably one of the best visits you can take as a recruit.  The hospitality and love is top notch."

TE Var'Keyes Gumms, Spring Dekaney - "I enjoyed the visit to UT. The atmosphere was great. I'll be back on the 40 acres for the season."

OT Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek - "Really great visit in terms of recruiting.  Enjoyed my time with the commits a lot."

OT Tommy Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints - "The Texas Spring this year was awesome! I always love to come down here and talk with all the coaches. Getting to watch James get an offer from Coach Herman was a great experience."

OT Jonah Miller, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic - "The game was electric, I’ve never seen a spring game that live before. The visit blew my mind and the coaches really made me feel at home. Coach Hand is an amazing person, and I really like him. It would be great to have him as my coach."

OT Reuben Fatheree, Richmond Foster - "It's always nice visiting with coach Hand, and it's an awesome atmosphere for a game."

OT Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor - "It was great to get back on campus and see coach Hand. Excited for the future of the Longhorns with the young talent that they have."

OT Kam Dewberry, Atascocita - "It was an amazing atmosphere, and something I wouldn't mind to be a part of."

OG Logan Parr, San Antonio O'Connor - "Had a great time spending time with all the commits and guys like Chad (Lindberg) and Vernon (Broughton). I can’t wait till my time at Texas."

OG Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor - "It was awesome.  It's a beautiful campus, and I was glad to see the coaches again."

OC James Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints - "I really enjoyed getting to talk with the coaches, and the environment is great here."

OC Jake Majors, Prosper - "It was an amazing time being able to spend a lot of time with Logan (Parr), Jaylen (Garth), Hudson (Card), and Chad (Lindberg) at the game. Always good hanging out with my guys and was also able to meet Vernon Broughton who is hands down a great player and an even better guy to hang around with."

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek - "It was great, and the atmosphere was hyped."

DE Robert Wooten, Stafford - "The atmosphere was just different."

LB Clayton Smith, Texas High - "It was a fun experience, the tour of the facilities was amazing and the food is great."

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne - "It was live. The atmosphere was great, and the defense played amazing."

CB Joshua Eaton, Aldine MacArthur - "Phenomenal. I loved everything. The atmosphere was just amazing."

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington - "Literally everything was amazing, but just talking to the coaches was the highlight."

S JD Coffey, Kennedale - "The spring game was a great experience, and I really enjoyed watching the defense work together. Watching the dbs play aggressive and control the field was very interesting to watch."

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek - "I loved the game. Texas always lays the red carpet out for me. Coach Naivar is a real dude and I love the way he coaches. The defense was great despite the injuries in the secondary. I love Texas and will be back up soon."

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage - "It was a great visit."

DB cruits got to meet & hang with these dudes:

IT

BEHIND THE RECRUITING CURTAIN

It was reported elsewhere (TFB) that Cy Creek linebacker Josh White made a surprise visit to campus this weekend. That's good news for the staff as it tries to make up ground on LSU. White is actually half Demas with his mother's side of the family being from Louisiana. Winning over his mom will be key in the recruitment, which makes it interesting that White was hanging at Hudson Card's house with Logan Parr, Jake Majors, Chad Lindberg, and their corresponding parents. The goal will be for White's mother to make a trip to Austin soon so she can better familiarize herself with all things Texas. 

As for Lindberg, he's very likely going to take all of his visits. While UT is the leader and most likely destination it isn't a lock. I know it may seem that way publicly but there is mild concern behind the curtain. I think his mother is pretty much won over but I'm watching Georgia and Clemson, though Georgia does have five offensive linemen committed. Stanford didn't come up in my most recent conversation. Again, Texas is most likely but not a done deal.

That group of players, along with Vernon Broughton, took to the player's lounge to shoot pool. That was good bonding time for the commits and top targets and Broughton is essentially 'one of the guys' at this point. He is by no means a Texas lock but his relationship with Texas is extending beyond the coaching staff. 

Justin has quotes from Bijan Robinson. What I heard on that front was, "He looks like he could do damage to a college defense right now," and, "he talked to Jamaal Charles for a really long time." 

Texas offered Robinson's 2021 offensive line teammate, Jonah Miller. It's early but UT is squarely in the middle of that one. That's Miller's second time on campus this spring.

Finally, from behind the scenes, I feel much more positive about UT and Princely Umanmielen than a month or so ago when I was concerned over OU and A&M. He had a good time this weekend to put it mildly. 

JALIN CONYERS

The Gruver, Texas wide receiver made the long trip to Austin this weekend to take in the spring game. We expected an offer to be extended and that did take place.

Conyers said receiving the offer "felt amazing" and the highlight of the weekend was "just the way Coach Warehime made it feel like home." 

Being from a small town I asked Conyers if he preferred a smaller town to a larger city. He responded, "It doesn't really matter, I just want to see what's out there." 

He also said he wasn't sure if UT would get an official but that "I'm sure we'll talk about that soon." He also stated he'd like to decide after the season.

He's not tipping his cap much but I think Coach Bobby Finstock has the best pulse on this recruitment. Finstock recently stated he felt TCU would be a dark-horse. Expect them to go all in this week.

I'm mildly encouraged they got him to campus and am hopeful, though not optimistic, they can earn an official visit.

BIJAN ROBINSON

The running back conversation usually begins and ends with Zach Evans in 2020. In between you hear Kendall Milton, Jase McClellan, and others. One name that belongs in this conversation is Bijan. 

The 6-foot, 200-pound five-star tailback from Salpointe Catholic in Arizona made his way east to the land of Longhorns. He left with a profound understanding of Texas and football in this state. 

“It was wayyyy more than I expected in a great way,” said Robinson. “Definitely the coaching and how the players gravitate toward them stands out. You see it. And just how (players) coach up each other in meetings to get each other better was the best thing for me. I want that."

The players and staff left a strong impression on the elite RB, not to mention extending an offer to his OL teammate Jonah Miller. Also the former players coming back, being so involved caught his attention. The family atmosphere is real. 

“It was just so cool how all of the Texas fans were wanting pictures and stuff," said Robinson. "They were calling me by name. They were just being great people. I love it." 

Robinson will be back in the fall for an official visit. Then this thing takes off. 

PROSPECTS TALK SPRING GAME 

Texas invited top targets, players to watch, and built on relationships during the Spring game event this weekend on campus. The current committed players mingled with the future committed players in glorious harmony. Hudson Card even had some hanging at his house. But the biggest takeaway seemed to be staff's ability to maintain that perfect balance between classes. 

The Class of 2020 is the obvious focus, but laying the foundation for 2021 with some of the state's, and nation's, best was imperative. Mission accomplished. 

Here's what a few guys said....

Prince Dorbah ('20, Highland Park OLB): “Great atmosphere. It was a fun game, the coaches were fun to talk to like always.”

Like always. Austin might as well be Bellaire for the Fresh Prince. 

Jamarion Miller ('22, Tyler Lee RB): “Unfortunately, I couldn’t make it to the Ludacris concert. But the overall experience was great. It definitely gave me something to look forward to. The thing I like about Texas is the academic system. That and football make it perfect." 

This was the first recruiting trip for the 2022 ETX running back. It makes sense that Texas got involved so early, he's got game-breaking ability. He'll be back. Trust me. 

Jaden Hullaby ('20, Bishop Dunne ATH - TEXAS): "The game and visit was good, unfortunately we couldn’t stay for the Ludacris concert. It was freezing. LOL." 

Indeed it was chilly but the latest pledge for UT's C/O 2020 felt at home in the ATX. The more I watch from the 6-foot, 215-pounder, the more I think he's a natural fit at Texas. 

Clayton Smith ('21, Texas High LB): “The energy at UT is ridiculous, the food and facilities are top notch. Love the coaches and players. Just a fun atmosphere to be in.”

Smith made his second trip to Austin (Junior Day) and left with a better sense of what his recruitment will be like. In many ways, his future visits to other campuses will be compared to this. Point: Texas. 

Robert Wooten ('20, Houston Stratford LB): “It gave me a great picture of what I’ll be doing in a year. Really enjoyed the staff after the game and hanging out with the guys.”

Wooten is a confident kid. He pulls no punches professing his Texas love. The staff is staying on him strong, in case this class needs another OLB. An offer would likely clinch it. 

Xavian Alford ('20, Alvin Shadow Creek DB): "I loved the game. Texas always lays the red carpet out for me. Coach Naivar is a real dude and I love the way he coaches. The defense was great despite the injuries in the secondary. I love Texas and will be back up soon."

Alford has seen Austin three times in two months. But LSU still lingers, while UT continues to put its best foot forward in this recruitment. Another successful trip for the four-star safety. He'll be back. 

Trevion Sneed ('22, Mineola RB/LB): "It was really good, everything, the entire experience. The coaches spoke about the team and how I'd fit. I'm fine playing RB or LB, I just want to play." 

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound athlete doesn't say much. He's a quiet, reserved guy that just loves playing football. While he's fun to watch tote the rock, this kid should probably be a linebacker at the next level. His ability for big-strike hitting and coverage is promising. 

NEXT UP: JMBYLA. Chris Thompson, Tunmise Adeyele, and others will descend on the 40 Acres in three weeks. Sicko Mode, IMO.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

I think you are referring to the offensive lineman that medically retired from Texas a couple years back. I think he might have been a four star as a recruit.

I should have ended post with /s

But I did want to see what Buck Major could've done. His videos were crazy though.