Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Ugh fuck scalpers. Amateur hour by the ticket sellers, there’s no reason they shouldn’t have made all tickets will call to prevent that shit.

Yup. People on Twitter calling it Fyre Fest 2.0 haha. 

GF and I bought $100 tickets months ago. Didn't even know about the Emos show until a half hour after they went on sale. Too late by that point. Jmblya made the announcement about the Emos show right as they put them on sale. If you missed the announcement, you missed out.

People on Twitter are stupid, then. Fyre lied to their customers and were prepared to deliver a shitty product. Jmblya and Emos and the city of Austin went above and beyond to try and put a show together that was cancelled due to severe weather. Only shitty thing they did was make it too easy to scalp tickets. 

26 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Ugh fuck scalpers. Amateur hour by the ticket sellers, there’s no reason they shouldn’t have made all tickets will call to prevent that shit.

If Tom Herman and the University or Texas want 15-20 football players into a concert in Austin, it will happen, regardless of available tickets or size of venue.

You think any restaurant, bar or concert venue in Austin Texas wants to piss off the UT athletic department or University? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Foggy Notion said:

The $25 tickets sold out online in less than 10 minutes. They're selling for $150 and up on the second hand market. 

And headliner Travis Scott is not performing at the Emos show.

He's at the Rockets game.

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

That must of been awesome. I saw glassjaw at Emos in 06 and that was my favorite show ever

I miss the old Emos. You could smell the urinal the minute you walked in. It was awesome.

As for Backroom, I saw Mudvayne and Kittie shows there doing my numetal phase in high school. Surprised my ears still work but I have neck issues from head banging to this day.

Edited by Tired of Lurking
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Best show I ever saw was Jane's Addiction in either '89 or '90, before they got famous, at the Backroom.

Holy shit, I was just about to post the same thing. You, me, and about 150 other people were at that show!

Soundgarden touring for Louder Than Love around the same time period was also pretty epic.

11 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I miss the old Emos. You could smell the urinal the minute you walked in. It was awesome.

As for Backroom, I saw Mudvayne and Kittie shows there doing my numetal phase in high school. Surprised my ears still work but I have neck issues from head banging to this day.

ReliableUnitedAmericancrow-size_restrict

• Like 1

(Scipio Tex) Arizona Rising: How Shifting Demography Alters The Football Landscape

In 1990, Arizona boasted a population of 3.6 million, making it the 24th largest state in the union. Since then, like Texas and the rest of the Sunbelt, it has exploded:

image.png.2fb3783469464d8ad5ba604b07f998

Arizona state population

1990 3.6 million
2000 5.1 million
2010 6.3 million
2019 7.2 million

Between 1990 and 2019, Arizona doubled in size to 7.2 million, elevating it ten spots in state population rankings to 14th. Wow. Amazing. And who gives a ****? College football fans should. Arizona's boom has had implications for college football recruiting, moving the state from a nearly irrelevant backwater to a producer of talent that has major programs (Texas, USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State to name a few) spending much more time within its borders.

To illustrate the rapidity of change, look at Arizona's contrasting 24/7's composite rankings between VY's Rose Bowl year and today:

2005 - Arizona produced two 4*+ recruits. And fifteen 3*+. According to the recruiting cognoscenti, the 16th best player in the state was a two star. Look out New Hampshire.

2020 - Arizona has twelve 4*+ recruits. And forty six are 3* or greater. Just 16 years later, the state tripled its 3 star output and has enough 4 star or better recruits to make a flight to Phoenix worthwhile for every program in the nation. While 2020 might just be a particularly rich year, when I looked at 2010 and 2015 numbers, the trend held (23 3 star or better in 2010, 29 in 2015).

The NFL draft offers similar confirmatory data. In the 2019 draft, the state had five players selected. As many as former football hotbed Pennsylvania and one less than the state of Alabama. More importantly, all five Arizona draftees were from the Greater Phoenix area. Sort of makes my Western Recruiting Outposts and efficiencies argument crystallize, doesn't it? Arizona isn't Georgia or even Louisiana when it comes to talent production (and it won't be), but it's a fine illustration that we live in a mutable world. The idea that a cactus enclave could produce as much NFL talent in a single year as once fabled Pennsylvania would be laughed at by anyone who can recall the names Montana, Marino, Namath, Unitas and Kelly. Much less Tony Dorsett, Mike Munchak, Aaron Donald, LeSean McCoy, Curtis Martin, Mike Ditka, Marvin Harrison, Randy White and...I think you get the picture.

Yet, in 2019, here we are. Arizona is the most dramatic example of a trend that also covers Utah, Colorado and Nevada (the state of Utah also had five NFL draft picks this year). Each state conveniently featuring a short direct flight to Austin from the major city that holds its predominant talent. The world is not static. Demographic shifts have massive financial, conference affiliation and talent implications. Smart coaches and administrators know this and exploit it. Dumb ones ignore it at their peril. We'll be smarter fans for knowing it too.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, RGBIII said:

My buddy who does the sound for JMBLYA said that it was cancelled, probably not great for a big visit weekend

On 5/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, RGBIII said:

Well shit...hope they have a backup plan

22 hours ago, Machinator said:

He's not coming to Austin this weekend because JMBLYA was cancelled.

17 hours ago, thepop said:

Emos is not very big. Not sure how that will work.

16 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

The $25 tickets sold out online in less than 10 minutes. They're selling for $150 and up on the second hand market. 

And headliner Travis Scott is not performing at the Emos show.

latest?cb=20131015022622

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Isn't it the old Back Room location on Riverside? Very small...saw Pantera there in 93 in a semi-secret warmup show for their tour. It was a fucking war zone 

12 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

et al.

source.gif

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I do. I saw a lot of shows and had a lot of ten cent well drinks there in the 90s.

Anyway, I assume we were able to pull some strings and get the recruits into emo’s? Can anyone confirm?

Y'all realize that this isn't the only thread you can post on? There are other threads, and,  get this, even other categories for threads. Fuck off over there for awhile. 

Edit. I'm being harsh. I saw James Brown and Big Country back in the 80s. Brown was great for the combination of historic experience and the show. He even did the shaking off the cape thing at the end. Big Country at whatever venue I saw them were gloriously energetic. The base player leaped up and down throughout the whole show. Such calves. 

Edit 2. You're welcome.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 3