Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

15 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Melting down over high school kids is over the top. I follow recruiting and want the best kids to pick Texas but if it doesn’t happen just move on.

Wow. This is a sentiment that has never been expressed before. What a prescient insight., and valuable contribution. 

If you want to be technical, it's not really kids selecting other schools that causes folks to meltdown. It's the, often, attributable failures of the coaching staff that pisses people off. So basically, people melt down because of staff weaknesses. Kids choosing to go elsewhere is simply the manifestation and result of the failures. But thanks for stopping by to tell everyone else exactly how they should behave and react. Mighty big of you. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

there should be a toggle so that whenever someone posts some actual fucking recruiting news, they can switch on that toggle for that post.  then there should be a setting to view this thread by only seeing posts with that toggle switched on.  this will save people from wading through pages and pages of utter fucking nonsense to read news on what this fucking thread is about.

and anyone posting a response with the recruiting toggle switched on and isn't recruiting news should be banned for life.

yall can now go back to posting fucking nonsense.

I vote we have a weekly summary thread.

30 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Melting down over high school kids is over the top. I follow recruiting and want the best kids to pick Texas but if it doesn’t happen just move on.

What a rusty, cunt bucket you must be at parties. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Holy hell we are really setting ourselves up for a mega meltdown now aren't we. We are now aboard the rollercoaster 

Just assume every top tier DL/RB recruit is going somewhere else. Texas is the Knicks when it comes to attracting Tier 1 RD/DL talent these days.

Giles/Drayton just are not plus recruiters. Texas is counting on Carrington to close every deal and at one point one guy just doesn't scale.

I think the prudent move is to assume Broughton is headed to A&M for reasons discussed many, many times.

If you are in that crowd, do not read Super K's update.

As I noted, Vernon Broughton is set to shoot his commitment video this weekend. It will be followed by a release this upcoming week.

I am beginning to come around to CJ’s sense that Texas might have some reason to feel cautiously optimistic.

A few reasons…

***Checked with a Texas A&M source last night (someone inside the building) and they did not know where Broughton was going. That tells me that at the very least a lot of the TAMU confidence may not be warranted.

***Of Broughton’s original top schools, LSU also felt like the biggest threat but they fell out a few weeks ago. I would assume this was due in part to the number of defensive linemen already committed (now up to 5).

***I was told that the person shooting the video is not a publication or individual who writes on a particular school. Feels like if it was TAMU was his move, Texags would be shooting the video. Not a dispositive fact but worth noting.

***Finally, was told last night that as of earlier this week Broughton was in communication with some recruits about them all making a move to Texas.

Again, none of the above is definitive but without LSU and Alabama in the picture, that leaves Texas A&M and Ohio State as the two teams to beat. Ohio State is too far and besides how many dang times can Ohio State keep winning recruiting battles against Texas this cycle.

TAMU has proximity and is in the SEC and also at one time led Texas. So, it’s not out of the question that they land him. But, everything I heard leading up to Broughton’s Texas OV (earlier this summer) was that Texas had overtaken TAMU. TAMU did have the luxury of the final OV, however.

Still, I’m going to cautiously throw my hat in the ring with CJ until I hear differently.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think the prudent move is to assume Broughton is headed to A&M for reasons discussed many, many times.

Hide contents

As I noted, Vernon Broughton is set to shoot his commitment video this weekend. It will be followed by a release this upcoming week.

I am beginning to come around to CJ’s sense that Texas might have some reason to feel cautiously optimistic.

A few reasons…

***Checked with a Texas A&M source last night (someone inside the building) and they did not know where Broughton was going. That tells me that at the very least a lot of the TAMU confidence may not be warranted.

***Of Broughton’s original top schools, LSU also felt like the biggest threat but they fell out a few weeks ago. I would assume this was due in part to the number of defensive linemen already committed (now up to 5).

***I was told that the person shooting the video is not a publication or individual who writes on a particular school. Feels like if it was TAMU was his move, Texags would be shooting the video. Not a dispositive fact but worth noting.

***Finally, was told last night that as of earlier this week Broughton was in communication with some recruits about them all making a move to Texas.

Again, none of the above is definitive but without LSU and Alabama in the picture, that leaves Texas A&M and Ohio State as the two teams to beat. Ohio State is too far and besides how many dang times can Ohio State keep winning recruiting battles against Texas this cycle.

TAMU has proximity and is in the SEC and also at one time led Texas. So, it’s not out of the question that they land him. But, everything I heard leading up to Broughton’s Texas OV (earlier this summer) was that Texas had overtaken TAMU. TAMU did have the luxury of the final OV, however.

Still, I’m going to cautiously throw my hat in the ring with CJ until I hear differently.

I feel like "Throwing your hat into the ring" to the sentiment of "some reason to feel cautiously optimistic" isn't really throwing your hat into the ring at all. I like TFB fine and think they generally do good work, but that set of statements might be the most egregious statement of a non statement we've seen to date. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel like "Throwing your hat into the ring" to the sentiment of "some reason to feel cautiously optimistic" isn't really throwing your hat into the ring at all. I like TFB fine and think they generally do good work, but that set of statements might be the most egregious statement of a non statement we've seen to date. 

Yeah but these are younger people that are writing these updates.. they like using hat in the ring talk because it just sounds good

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

A few reasons…

PortlyAgitatedGemsbuck-small.gif

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

So, checked his tweets=I’m told 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

But, everything I heard leading up to Broughton’s Texas OV (earlier this summer) was that Texas had overtaken TAMU. TAMU did have the luxury of the final OV, however.

This is really current info. Jesus. 

Also, LSU isn't not landing Broughton because of their DL commits. They'd drop some of those guys in a second for him. He just didn't love LSU. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Gotta say, nice to have a truly up-in-the-air recruiting decision for once. It feels like the industry's been tipping more and more of them as time has gone on.

it's still friday morning, no way this thing stays under wraps by monday.. Hamm will be doing a live PPV of him hiding in a bush during VB's fliming

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Put down the LeBong, James.

is Lebong a cheese?

anyway, on topic, the closer we get to this announcement date of Broughton's, the more positive I get, because aggy isn't really saying shit. They'd not be able to control themselves right now. 

Doesn't mean everything, but to me, it means something. 

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

is Lebong a cheese?

anyway, on topic, the closer we get to this announcement date of Broughton's, the more positive I get, because aggy isn't really saying shit. They'd not be able to control themselves right now. 

Image result for It means something gif

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

is Lebong a cheese?

How's the view from the top?

B0MPL_hCQAAqSlJ.jpg:large

• Like 2

White is going to start for OU this year. He’s a Big 12 LB. Orlando decided to pass on him early because he was too short. By that, I mean he was like an inch shorter than what they wanted. He was all Texas, then Orlando slow-played him, and then we waited for months before trying to recover, after realizing the stupidity of the first action. They went and did the exact same thing this year with the guy currently committed to LSU from Cypress. 
Sorry, but Orlando fucking sucks as a recruiter. I’ll be pretty happy when he takes a job somewhere else because I think Herman has zero mental biases with defensive staff talent and will make an excellent replacement hire. Does that mean  I think he can’t coach or that I want him gone? No, but I do expect some of the pure dumbfucks from this board to claim it on other threads. 

I know it means nothing to you, but I agree 100% with you. Orlando gets a free pass for his coaching, and I’m not sure why. I don’t think Beck is a top-flight guy, and his offenses put up very similar rankings to Orlando’s defenses over the years. However, Beck is an outstanding recruiter. Orlando isn’t.

It’s much easier to hate an OC than the DC for fans. I’m not sure why, but every team seems to hate their OC, but very few hate their DC.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

I know it means nothing to you, but I agree 100% with you. Orlando gets a free pass for his coaching, and I’m not sure why. I don’t think Beck is a top-flight guy, and his offenses put up very similar rankings to Orlando’s defenses over the years. However, Beck is an outstanding recruiter. Orlando isn’t.

It’s much easier to hate an OC than the DC for fans. I’m not sure why, but every team seems to hate their OC, but very few hate their DC.

Probably because it's much more difficult to be a DC in the Big XII than it is to be an OC

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

One of the TexAgs guys, Jason Howell, just predicted Broughton to A&M. (fwiw)

Said he'd "heard good things" about A&M's standing with VB and that it was a "gut feel".

Now if it was Ketch with a "gut feel" that might be noteworthy. 

Probably because it's much more difficult to be a DC in the Big XII than it is to be an OC

True, but I see this phenomenon nationwide. Orlando’s rankings go back to his time in other conferences as well, and they are adjusted rankings (think standardization).

9 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

Lulz. Still talking up this line? Beck is a shitty OC when he’s running the offense. He underachieved with a loaded tOSU offense, especially against defenses that were anywhere in the ballpark of having similar talent, and then was terrible running our offense the first year. A huge part of our offense improving last year, aside from hand coaching the OL, was Herman taking over the offense. 

I like Beck and always wanted Herman to run the O, so I’m happy with where we’re at there, but it’s much, much easier to find an OC who doesn’t call the plays and recruits well, then it is to find a DC who can coach a quality defense in the Big 12. 

IMO, Orlando’s poor recruiting isn’t great, but it should be covered up by other assistants. It’s much easier to replace Warehime, Drayton, or Giles’ coaching of their positions than it is to replace Orlando’s coaching as the DC. 

2 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

True, but I see this phenomenon nationwide. Orlando’s rankings go back to his time in other conferences as well, and they are adjusted rankings (think standardization).

It does seem like fans are generally happy/content with a mediocre defense - but anything less than offensive excellence calls for a reckoning.

4 minutes ago, texaslong said:

So it's ok for aggy to still have sex with them?

All this post tells me is that you don't know the definitions for the following words: Touch, Poke, Prod, Tease, Pester, Annoy, Torment, Worry, Irk, Harass, Disturb, or Bother. 

The good news is I can't say with any certainty that you don't understand the definitions for Ruffle or Feed.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

All this post tells me is that you don't know the definitions for the following words: Touch, Poke, Prod, Tease, Pester, Annoy, Torment, Worry, Irk, Harass, Disturb, or Bother. 

The good news is I can't say with any certainty that you don't understand the definitions for Ruffle or Feed.

All this post tells me is you think you are better than him.

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. Still talking up this line? Beck is a shitty OC when he’s running the offense. He underachieved with a loaded tOSU offense, especially against defenses that were anywhere in the ballpark of having similar talent, and then was terrible running our offense the first year. A huge part of our offense improving last year, aside from hand coaching the OL, was Herman taking over the offense. 

I like Beck and always wanted Herman to run the O, so I’m happy with where we’re at there, but it’s much, much easier to find an OC who doesn’t call the plays and recruits well, then it is to find a DC who can coach a quality defense in the Big 12. 

IMO, Orlando’s poor recruiting isn’t great, but it should be covered up by other assistants. It’s much easier to replace Warehime, Drayton, or Giles’ coaching of their positions than it is to replace Orlando’s coaching as the DC. 

Honestly, all we really need to do to fix a majority of this is to give the defense an additional coach who is a plus recruiter and cut Warehime loose. He could even be an outside linebacker coach so that he has sway in the recruitments of tweener DL/LBs and DEs. That would leave Giles primarily having to recruit DT's and he seems to be a bit better with DT than DE recruiting and let the new coach and Orlando tag team MAC recruiting. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Honestly, all we really need to do to fix a majority of this is to give the defense an additional coach who is a plus recruiter and cut Warehime loose. He could even be an outside linebacker coach so that he has sway in the recruitments of tweener DL/LBs and DEs. That would leave Giles primarily having to recruit DT's and he seems to be a bit better with DT than DE recruiting and let the new coach and Orlando tag team MAC recruiting. 

Honestly, wait on cutting Warehime while we still have TWO mostly useless WR coaches puttering around.

• Like 1