Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

So I am confused. We have to like Giles now? That's going to piss off the Surly-full-of-hate, why say something if it's not-bitchy, types. Frankly, I have always thought he's a decent enough coach,  just lacks recruiting chops. But the Surly will surly.

58 minutes ago, ausjala said:

So I am confused. We have to like Giles now? That's going to piss off the Surly-full-of-hate, why say something if it's not-bitchy, types. Frankly, I have always thought he's a decent enough coach,  just lacks recruiting chops. But the Surly will surly.

As predicted...

1 hour ago, ausjala said:

Oh don't worry. The bullseye just moved from Giles's back to Drayton's.

22 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

FIFY

Burt Macklin has touched on this a bit, but the fun thing about Broughton to me is that he’s a monster but needs a lot of development. He’s a perfect experiment for the Giles is an Amazing Coach Theory. If Broughton buys in to S&C and coaching, and by all accounts he seems like a kid that will, we should be able to answer the question of whether Giles is a great coach and developer or not. Its not entirely fair to pin that on the success of one kid but it sure will be a hell of a data point either way. 

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Burt Macklin has touched on this a bit, but the fun thing about Broughton to me is that he’s a monster but needs a lot of development. He’s a perfect experiment for the Giles is an Amazing Coach Theory. If Broughton buys in to S&C and coaching, and by all accounts he seems like a kid that will, we should be able to answer the question of whether Giles is a great coach and developer or not. Its not entirely fair to pin that on the success of one kid but it sure will be a hell of a data point either way.  

You touched on it, but one player is not a very accurate data point. There are 100s of players that look like Tarzan but play like Jane. Broughton is new to football so we have no clue about his drive and desire not to mention all the other aspects of football like remaining injury free.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

You touched on it, but one player is not a very accurate data point. There are 100s of players that look like Tarzan but play like Jane. Broughton is new to football so we have no clue about his drive and desire not to mention all the other aspects of football like remaining injury free.

I disagree. One player will be a very good data point. It won’t be the conclusive answer to the story, but it can be a great data point. Obviously injuries could ruin everything, and yes his drive matters. Not everyone is Brian orakpo. But he seems like a good kid from a good family structure that will put in the work. What we get could be very telling. Same thing for sweat and Warren as well. If they develop into day one draft picks after not being the highest ranked kids (even if the staff thinks sweat is a top 50 kid that year) then I think those are telling data points as well. But if they don’t develop, we don’t really have any conclusions to draw. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I disagree. One player will be a very good data point. It won’t be the conclusive answer to the story, but it can be a great data point. Obviously injuries could ruin everything, and yes his drive matters. Not everyone is Brian orakpo. But he seems like a good kid from a good family structure that will put in the work. What we get could be very telling. Same thing for sweat and Warren as well. If they develop into day one draft picks after not being the highest ranked kids (even if the staff thinks sweat is a top 50 kid that year) then I think those are telling data points as well. But if they don’t develop, we don’t really have any conclusions to draw.  

I think that if you start adding in players like Warren and Sweat then you get a bigger picture but there are always going to be failures like Elliott, Daniels, and Southall.

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Of all of the recruits in 2020 he is the one I am most excited about watching senior film on. I have a suspicion his senior film will show a big leap from last year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Of all of the recruits in 2020 he is the one I am most excited about watching senior film on. I have a suspicion his senior film will show a big leap from last year. 

I feel the same way with Collins.. He's not going to be "underrated" much longer and will be a tier above VB when it's all said and done... and no i haven't started drinking early this morning, I actually had to come into the office smh

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If he shows improvement at being good from play to play, he's a 5*; 6'5 290 SDE who move as easily as he does, and who can probably keep his athleticism at 6'5 320 are rare

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Hate to do this on a potential day of celebration, but Super K says it's going to be Florida for Jahari Rogers.

Had a feeling this was going to be the case when the Florida depth chart keeps taking hits to the transfer portal.  Guess it's going to be Eaton or Watts (flip)?

Hate to do this on a potential day of celebration, but Super K says it's going to be Florida for Jahari Rogers.

Never want to lose a stud but right now it feels like DL is the priority with LB second on that side of the ball.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's looking up at Cook, Green, Kenyatta, Jamison, and Crawford on the depth chart, and could be a Boyce type who gets passed up by the class behind him. There's also a non-zero chance we land Ringo. While I'd like to have him, he's replaceable in this class. 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I hate to lose in state prospects to any school, but I will never understand losing 4/5* kids to Florida. I would imagine California feels the same way about losing their kids to Texas, except Austin is great and Gainsville is a shithole

Super K gave three reasons:

* Rogers trusts UF's DB development over ours

* They did a better job recruiting his mom

* He is unsure whether 2018 was a fluke for Texas or not (doesn't make any sense given Florida was bad before this year as well).

Edited by Machinator

* He is unsure whether 2018 was a fluke for Texas or not (doesn't make any sense given Florida was bad before this year as well).

he's looking and making excuses to justify his decision that way? Whatever my man, good luck at Florida

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

he's looking and making excuses to justify his decision that way? Whatever my man, good luck at Florida

Yeah I think he and his mom seem to really like that coach. Oh well, hopefully Watts decommits from OU and we can win out that recruitment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yeah I think he and his mom seem to really like that coach. Oh well, hopefully Watts decommits from OU and we can win out that recruitment.

the fluke reason is what threw me off.. like florida has been that great the last few years smh.  I still like Eaton over Watts but I think Watts>Pouncey

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well all three of those are easy to overcome with a good year at Texas and a bad year at UF.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Whereon data points does putting two of Mack's jumbo back fetishes into the NFL at DL fall?

49 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Kathy G is Fugly ..but she has an amazing body for someone pushing close to 60

aggy does claim to be older than UT.  Like aggy she is an annoying bitch that is not attractive to any sane person.  aggy has a nice big beautiful hall of champions, too.  Like Kathy, it is quite obnoxious in its grandeur but completely empty and devoid of any value whatsoever.  In conclusion, aggy is an annoying bitch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Whereon data points does putting two of Mack's jumbo back fetishes into the NFL at DL fall?

Lots of Mack’s recruits were 5 star types, and I think a lot were more technically sound out of HS. So it lends to the question of us Giles any good, or does he just do good with good talent. 

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

So if Texas DB's have a good season and Florida takes a step back, an in-state Texas player like Jahari  is a flip candidate... staying closer to home is often a recruiting advantage.