Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

If VB was one of the hottest stocks today, this is how I would analyze it:

Bull Case: He saw all the CBs coming in for Texas and thought that there wasn't going to be any suspense when he dropped the video. Giving it more time would give aggy some hope and perhaps lead to some suspense.

Bear Case: Leal got him in touch with his bagman/woman. Now he wants to see what A&M has to "offer" before making his very important 40-year decision.

Conclusion: Stay tuned!

29 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

WTH, in on 500.  Wish Samples stuck but Texas may get to circle back later.  SMU means he's serious about coaching and lordy, I hope the wr's coach isn't the same in a year or two. 

What are the rules restricting hiring an assistant coach from another school??  

(it sure was fucked up when Wickline was hired)

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:
Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city
All around, people looking half dead
Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head.

Lovin' Spoonful lyrics in a recruiting thread.  That'll get us to 1000, easy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What are the rules restricting hiring an assistant coach from another school??  

(it sure was fucked up when Wickline was hired)

I think you're mistaking the idea that you can't employ a HS coach who has recruited one of the kids in like a 1 or 2 year time period.

The wickline shit was fucked up due to specific contract verbiage about leaving for a lateral position and us getting Patterson'd on a fucking buyout we were too cheap to just pay. That's not a blanket situation across football. That's just Strong and Patterson shooting themselves in the dick. Repeatedly. 

I don't think there's any rule about Samples not being able to recruit kids who have committed to Texas while he was at Texas, especially when they haven't signed, if that is what you're concerned about. 

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think you're mistaking the idea that you can't employ a HS coach who has recruited one of the kids in like a 1 or 2 year time period.

The wickline shit was fucked up due to specific contract verbiage about leaving for a lateral position and us getting Patterson'd on a fucking buyout we were too cheap to just pay. That's not a blanket situation across football. That's just Strong and Patterson shooting themselves in the dick. Repeatedly. 

I don't think there's any rule about Samples not being able to recruit kids who have committed to Texas while he was at Texas, especially when they haven't signed, if that is what you're concerned about. 

Just wondering rules concerning Samples as WR coach at SMU with a 2yr contract trying to leave after 1 season and become Texas WR coach??

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just wondering rules concerning Samples as WR coach at SMU with a 2yr contract trying to leave after 1 season and become Texas WR coach??

As Texifornia said, that will come down to the specific verbiage he has put in his contract. But yeah, we'll buy his ass out. Hopefully not Wickline style this time. 

If this drags into next week wife #3 is not going to be happy with me checking Surly from Cannes.  I have a day layover in Paris so I can shit on the Notre Dame if Broughton commits to Aggy because closetojumping is simply unwilling to follow through with his threat. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

If this drags into next week wife #3 is not going to be happy with me checking Surly from Cannes.  I have a day layover in Paris so I can shit on the Notre Dame if Broughton commits to Aggy because closetojumping is simply unwilling to follow through with his threat. 

Oh yeah, well I'm flying to *checks ticket* Columbus, Georgia tomorrow so you all just THINK you know the jetset lifestyle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The hardest choices require the strongest wills 

Noted TH mentioned today how long it took both Mack and Dabo to reach championship levels.  I believe it was 7 years for both.  Said he thought we were ahead of schedule, but needed to remain patient and build the program to last.  It's times like right now I have to keep reminding myself to remain patient and not react in the moment.  Not a ton of good news of late.

Just now, SquishMitten said:

Nothing good of late as it pertains to program building? Take a step back from recruiting, and think about the last football game we played.

The Samples news is disappointing.  Don't blame him or Texas at all, but disappointing nonetheless given our struggles in DFW.  Overall, it's hard not to be very bullish on the trajectory though.  No question.

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

So, with Derrian Brown hitting the field in 2020, how does that impact the RB board?

I would hope the staff isn't relying on Derrian Brown as a rb for any duration.  I think it's remarkable and a testament to his strength and will that he's been able to advance to where he's now at physically.  Why risk it?  

Also, Super K said Samples leaving was another reason why Jahari Rogers chose Florida.

Yah I'm just jumping on board to buy 995 stuff these days, but that would blow.

It's all good, though, we'll just "circle back around" on Samples next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so Jahari Rogers, a DB, didn't pick Texas because an assistant WR coach left?  Samples helps Mehringer and Meekins coaching the WRs.  How is he going to help Rogers develop as a DB.... just sounds fucking stupid.  And Rogers was trending to UF before the Samples news came out.  9.95ers just like to make shit up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

so Jahari Rogers, a DB, didn't pick Texas because an assistant WR coach left?  Samples helps Mehringer and Meekins coaching the WRs.  How is he going to help Rogers develop as a DB.... just sounds fucking stupid.  And Rogers was trending to UF before the Samples news came out.  9.95ers just like to make shit up.

BC doesn't coach anyone and look at his impact...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Samples worked the DFW area, position is irrelevant 

• Like 2