Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 hour ago, trythisathome said:

This isn't exactly relevant, but things are pretty quiet right now and I don't know where else to ask. At what point does my account become a "full member"? 

When you post pics of your wife's/girlfriend's tits.

Do you want to be a full member or not, trythisathome?

18 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

42 minutes since a post?? Did something happen that shut the site down? 

Yeah. barry_mccokiner’s Stupid shut the board down for 3 quarters of an hour. Everyone who read it had a temporary IQ drop to about 50 and vacillated between running into walls repeatedly and sticking their fingers into plug outlets. Much like I envision Barry doing in between his delightful contributions to this board.   

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. barry_mccokiner’s Stupid shut the board down for 3 quarters of an hour. Everyone who read it had a temporary IQ drop to about 50 and vacillated between running into walls repeatedly and sticking their fingers into plug outlets. Much like I envision Barry doing in between his delightful contributions to this board.   

got damn if you're not omniscient

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nnnnnnnoow taking the stage, give a sweet yellow rose welcome to misss gretchennnn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why scrip club dj guy needed to send that from his iphone using tapatalk?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I realize we lost some progress last year due to the site change, but it took us until October 29th last year to hit 500.  

Among the things discussed on page 500 last year were De'Gabriel Floyd's HS highlights being compared to DJ's and speculation about him starting this year. 😥

And, as I'm sure everyone will be shocked to find out, we were discussing staff changes. Specifically, if Beaty would be fired from Kansas and whether he'd replace Beck as OC or take a WR spot so we could even out the staff on offense and defense. 

Best of all, @Vertigo came in strong with his proclamation that Warehime would be fired after the season so we could hire another defensive assistant. 

I may be reading this wrong, but I sense a patronizing tone in this post. And he SHOULD have been fired after seasons end, I don’t think there is anyone who will dispute that.

6 hours ago, Newy25 said:

If this drags into next week wife #3 is not going to be happy with me checking Surly from Cannes.  I have a day layover in Paris so I can shit on the Notre Dame if Broughton commits to Aggy because closetojumping is simply unwilling to follow through with his threat. 

I’m currently in Gstaad. If either you or CTJ could drop by, I’d appreciate it. spacer.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Or the boosters who dragged their feet on facilites upgrades or any number of things. I think the choice of phrase is important here because the mindset has far greater implications beyond "we have to offer sophomores because everyone is doing it." It comes across as dogmatic. 

It’s not the boosters that dropped the ball on facilities upgrades, it was Deloss followed by Patterson and then Perrin.  The athletic department sat back on its fat happy ass and didn’t do shit for over a decade.

off topic but seeing mutha hustla has me wondering about byron vaughns.  haven’t read any offseason fluff about him.  is he gonna be in the rotation behind ossai?

Edited 1 minute ago by futureman

--------------

Yes

Edited by DavidThomasBrisketSandwich
whoops

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t care for you much, but this post is awesome. 

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If Herman hired Samples as a GA from another school to a on the field position coach, ctj would have multiple threads condemning it. Let him get some experience and bring him back if he progresses.

Your deference is appreciated. 

4 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I’m currently in Gstaad. If either you or CTJ could drop by, I’d appreciate it. spacer.png

You think introducing me to circumstances will help make your situation less chaotic and improved? I cross the Rubicon this afternoon. I’ll see you all in hell. Or on the Amalfi Coast. 

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m actually doing your mom in between posts.  And sorry can’t loan you fifty bucks right now even though I consider you a delightful stepson

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t care for you much, but this post is awesome. 

Your deference is appreciated. 

You think introducing me to circumstances will help make your situation less chaotic and improved? I cross the Rubicon this afternoon. I’ll see you all in hell. Or on the Amalfi Coast. 

You should hit up Ravello while you are in Amalfi.  Its awesome.

On the plus side, it sure seems like the love for Samples from our side should keep him from trying to take players with him. I mean, that post from Michelle basically confirms he’s got a job waiting for him in a year or two...just politics, which I’m sure Samp was well aware of.

7 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

On the plus side, it sure seems like the love for Samples from our side should keep him from trying to take players with him. I mean, that post from Michelle basically confirms he’s got a job waiting for him in a year or two...just politics, which I’m sure Samp was well aware of.

Also... the fact that he is at SMU.  If you are talented enough to earn a Texas offer, you don't voluntarily choose a non-P5 school because of a position coach.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Also... the fact that he is at SMU.  If you are talented enough to earn a Texas offer, you don't voluntarily choose a non-P5 school because of a position coach.

Right, unless you’re Ed Oliver, but those examples are extremely rare. I’m guessing we’ll probably see traffic increase in the #AustintoDallas transfer portal, too. 

Mike Roach: How Samples leaving impacts Texas recruiting moving forward

There’s no getting around it. Losing Ra’Shaad Samples will hurt a little for Texas. In his role on the Longhorn support staff, Samples assisted wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer in instructing the pass catchers on the team, but his impact in recruiting was also impactful. A former highly-prized recruit from Dallas Skyline, Samples was integral in helping Texas make a big impact in Dallas. Samples came up big in several recruitments, including Duncanville athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson and Highland Park linebacker Prince Dorbah.

There are a few positives that come from the situation. Samples is moving from an off-field role to an on-field role at SMU which is a great step for him in his career. It’s also a great look for Tom Herman. The measure of a coach lies in the way assistants are promoted from their tree. Samples is the second Texas support staffer to be hired by SMU following Trey Haverty, and that trend shows that the Texas program has coveted personnel.

Where does this put Texas in their recruiting efforts? While it might seem bad on the surface, the Longhorns made their in-roads in D-FW during the 2020 and 2021 cycle. Texas already holds a commitment from Ja’Quinden Jackson, and I’ve been told there is no expected defection following today’s news. Jackson has a good relationship with Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck, and Jackson was one of the key recruits necessary to opening up the Dallas area.

The Longhorns are also in a good position with Chris Thompson, and they likely would have won over Dorbah anyways. Texas can mitigate the loss by continuing to hit Dallas with the same fervor they did this year. It would also help if former Kansas head coach David Beaty could find resolution to his legal battle with his former employer and join the support staff as has been long-rumored.

Beaty would give Texas an upgrade on the football side of things, and his connections in Dallas and rep as a recruiter would help minimize any recruiting void left by Samples. Whatever the case may be, Tom Herman has shown in the past he’s willing to go out and hire the best staff possible. This won’t be the first time the Longhorns lose a talented coach, and it’s likely he already has a contingency plan.

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

Right, unless you’re Ed Oliver, but those examples are extremely rare. I’m guessing we’ll probably see traffic increase in the #AustintoDallas transfer portal, too. 

The recruit would need to have an older brother at SMU too like Oliver did at UH. 

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

Even still.  UH to Houston kids at least resonates as an option even if it's a lower tier option.  I'm not even talking about a football.  It's an option as a University.  SMU isn't an option for metroplex kids other than Highland Park residents.

The UH equivalent, or closest to it, is UNT.  

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The UH equivalent, or closest to it, is UNT.  

Probably closest, but it's outside the metroplex, so the comparison is a little flawed.  Once a household income drops below a certain level SMU might as well be on the other side of the country.  It's completely out of your mind.  Just saying it's a lot easier for UH to poach a Houston kid from a bigger program, than SMU to poach a Dallas kid. 

Edited by Gene Parmesan

4 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Proposition 1 ; hat we all, or most of us voted in favor of by about 79% to 21% In 2014. Not judging anyone who voted against, but fuck you anyway.

Might make more sense on your toll road rant thread.