Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Look I don't know s*** about Shepherd, but he's close with Tyler Johnson. That's one hell of a role model. 

I haven’t heard Tyler Johnson’s name in a while. Such a low-key recruitment and commitment that I had nearly forgotten about him. Can’t wait to see him in a couple of seasons leading a new group of OL. 

• Like 3

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I haven’t heard Tyler Johnson’s name in a while. Such a low-key recruitment and commitment that I had nearly forgotten about him. Can’t wait to see him in a couple of seasons leading a new group of OL. 

With the potential we are bringing in at OT, I think he could slide inside and be a damn good Guard.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Whatever happened to that super athletic WR we lost on NSD a few years ago that was supposed to kind of have a similar scouting report - super athlete and stone hands?

I want to say he went to UGA but couldn't find him on 247.

Does Tyrell Shavers to Bama a few seasons back also fit your description?

12 minutes ago, Beer Drinker said:

Aaaaaand it is back to stars... swear they had beer mugs.  I screenshot it if someone can tell me how to post a pic.

imgbb.com

Upload image

Toggle to HTML full linked

Copy/paste the link, but get rid of all the extraneous stuff around the web address

Profit

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Low key guy who is going to be an absolute beast on the line no matter where he slots in. The competition on the line will be ridiculous the next few years. The only concern I see is at center, hope Ghirmai can solidify that spot when shack leaves

Mike Roach: Texas set to host multiple targets for Stars at Night

The evolving recruiting calendar means that teams need to look for advantages where they can find them. With accelerating timelines becoming more prevalent in recruiting, late summer camps like Stars at Night allow schools to throw one more big recruiting event following the summer dead period. The Longhorns have been able to find gems like five-star safety Tyler Owens during this event, and the camp has seen a fair share of commitments over the past few years. As Herman and his staff prepare to host their third annual event, let’s take a look at some of the players expected to visit Austin.

Texas will host a few commits and 2020 targets on Friday. John Tyler cornerback Kitan Crawford, Cy Ridge defensive lineman Vernon Broughton, and Port Neches-Groves offensive tackle Jaylen Garth are expected to be in attendance. Hudson Card was planning to come, but a family engagement will keep him away from campus. More importantly, Texas will get to host a few of their outstanding 2020 targets.

Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra wide receiver LV Bunkley-Shelton is making his first trip to Texas. The four-star prospect was offered by Texas following the Cal Lutheran Rising Stars camp in June, and this unofficial shows interest from the west coast wideout. Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins will make another trip to Texas. The local prospect has been to campus multiple times during the spring and summer, and Texas is looking to solidify their position near the top of his recruitment.

Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington Javian Hester is a wide receiver target Drew Mehringer will host on Friday. The four-star receiver visited Texas for junior day in February, and he’s returning to get another look at Texas. There have been whispers that Hester could be close to committing, but he’s looking to take some official visits before making his decision. Cedar Hill offensive tackle Courtland Ford will work out for the Texas coaches during the camp.

The four-star former LSU commit rehabbed his knee injuries in the offseason and got his body into good shape. Texas could choose to offer down the line, and seeing him in person will give them a look into what he has. Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston is also slated to be at the camp. Johnston is one of the more important prospects on the Texas board, and another visit will allow Mehringer to work on the uber-athletic receiver.

Texas will also host a few of their 2021 commits Friday. Four-star Katy Tompkins quarterback Jalen Milroe and four-star Katy Taylor offensive tackle Hayden Conner will make their first visit since committing during the last week. They’ll be joined by Lake Travis tight end commit Lake McRee and Dallas Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis. This event will allow the 2021 class to be together for the first time.

2021 Pearland running back Brandon Campbell plans to attend the camp. The four-star runner has been high on Texas since they offered during the summer, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him shut his recruitment down fairly soon. Denton Ryan athlete Billy Bowman was a late addition to the camp. The two-way star could play slot receiver or defensive back, and he called Texas an offer that he always wanted. Bowman has recently been on the receiving end of some public social media recruiting from Milroe.

Kennedale safety JD Coffey is becoming a regular at Texas. The four-star prospect was offered by the Longhorns during the summer, and Texas seems to have the lead in this recruitment. Texas will have another chance to wow him ahead of his planned fall decision. Everman tight end Juan Davis plans to attend as well. He was last on campus for the Heat Wave pool party after being offered during the spring, and Texas is standing out big time in this one. Davis hinted at making a decision soon, and he could choose to shut things down this weekend.

Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle will become an important target in the 2021 class. As Texas searches for an H receiver (slot) prospect, Earle is perfect for the position. The four-star wide receiver has Texas in a group with TCU, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State, and he’s looking at making a fall decision. New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr. will be at Texas A&M on Friday, but he plans to make it to Austin on Saturday. While he won’t technically be there for Stars at Night, we included him since he plans to visit. Harris said that Texas and Texas A&M are standing out early, and it looks like it could be a battle between the two in-state rivals for his services.

Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem is headed to Texas for the first time since being offered. Ibraheem is high on Texas early, and he’s close with Texas commit Quay Davis. The Woodlands wide receiver Theodore Knox is making his first visit to Austin. The former Louisiana prospect is on the Texas radar, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him pick up an offer if he tests well.

Fort Bend Hightower receiver Latrell Neville will also return to campus for the visit. The four-star wide receiver is set to commit next year, but there have been whispers that he could move that timeline up. Texas made his latest top schools list, and the Longhorns are the only in-state program with a chance at him.

Texas will get their first look at a number of 2022 prospects this weekend. The Woodlands linebacker Martrell Harris is slated to come with Theodore Knox, and he’s a player who will definitely pique the interest of the coaches if he tests as expected. Bishop Dunne linebacker Jordan Crook will make yet another visit to Texas after coming for camp and the Heat Wave. Crook is high on Texas early on, and they are definitely evaluating him as a linebacker prospect in this class.

There will undoubtedly be more additions and walk-ups on Friday. Stick with Horns247 for full coverage of the event.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

With the potential we are bringing in at OT, I think he could slide inside and be a damn good Guard.

Tyler Johnson is going to be a really good tackle, most likely on the right side. With the talent we have been bringing in at OT, playing time is going to be at a premium.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The OL for next year could be

Cosmi (rJr)/Moore (rSo)

Angilau (rSo)/Imade (rSr)

Kerstetter (Sr)/Ghirmai (rSo)

Okafor (rSr)/Johnson (rFr)

Jones(rSo)/Tyler(Jr)

Still working Hookfin (rFr) and Sheppard (rFr).

Damn it's nice getting to RS OL again. All but Kerstetter and maybe Tyler will have gotten a RS.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:
nm

While I may have beaten you to the punch, I'll still spend far too many American dollars in Montreal, Quebec, or Toronto at least once every year, so I think y'all really win this war.

Edited by texifornia

Seems like the 9.95ers are making a big deal on this one. Who else is on commit watch besides Thompson, Thomson jr(possible silent already), Bunkley-Shelton for 2020 and Juan Davis, Brandon Campbell for 21

Edit: and in the time it took to write this drivel it turns out it’s Davis

Edited by RGBIII

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Slow down there, kid. We’re not that deep at tackle next year, especially if Cosmi leaves. Johnson could easily be our starting RT next year.