Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 hours ago, EZ$ said:

What’s so special about Bunkley?  ESPN has him at a 4.78 40 and 4.41 shuttle and he’s not a 6’5” guy. 

We have 2 wide receiver coaches and no wide receiver commits. Our top targets have committed somewhere else or are leaning somewhere else. The guy is quick, has good hands, and decent speed (not 4.8). He would be a take any year, but this year there is no doubt. Unless things change, we probably will miss on Demas, Wilson, Cooper, Achane, and Smith-Njigba (kind of) so we are looking at Johnston and Bunkley and I guess a JUCO. Overall, it has been kind of Meh.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EZ$ said:

What’s so special about Bunkley?  ESPN has him at a 4.78 40 and 4.41 shuttle and he’s not a 6’5” guy. 

Instead of reading the cliff notes, throw on his huddle and take a look for yourself.  The kid is a great slot, good hands, great ball awareness, makes tough catches in traffic, and can make guys miss after the catch.  He would be a great slot for this offense, and we would be lucky to have him. 

Joseph Cook: Notes on several Stars at Night attendees

Texas held its final recruiting event of the summer at the Denius Fields on Friday night, and several of the Longhorns major targets in multiple classes were in attendance. 

2021 Dallas Kimball CB Ishmael Ibraheem

Stars at Night was Ibraheem’s first time seeing the Forty Acres. He was able to participate in the camp and get a good look at campus for the first time. He is close with some of the other Dallas prospects committed to Texas. Joining a solid class is important to Ibraheem. He plans to return to campus in the fall.

2020 Tulsa (OK) Booker T. Washington WR JJ Hester

Hester’s mom was able to see Texas for the first time, and Hester said she appreciated the academic part of the presentation. Texas remains at the top of his list, and he plans to return for a game this fall. Baylor is also on him. He said he could possibly commit before school starts.

2021 Lake Travis TE Lake McRee

McRee participated in the camp and said he showed off his versatility at the position. He met fellow commit Jalen Milroe for the first time, and mentioned him as someone who he was impressed by at the camp.

2020 Temple WR Quentin Johnston

Johnston, an accomplished high jumper, won the dunk contest with a between the legs dunk and a behind the back dunk. He’s seen Texas, TCU, and Baylor this summer, and those three plus OU are in contention for his services. He said he could decide toward the end of the summer. Jared Wiley has been in his ear often.

2020 Bastrop Cedar Creek DL Alfred Collins

The 6-foot-5, 284-pound Collins also participated in the dunk contest during what was his third visit to Texas this summer. He said he still remains open and would like to take all of his official visits before making his decision. He currently plans to visit Texas after the season. He said Vernon Broughton is recruiting him to Texas.

A few more prospects are slated to come in Saturday on unofficial visits. We'll have more notes and quotes in the Scoop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

Looks like Osu check bounced. 

“I just changed my Crystal Ball pick on Bijan Robinson to "foggy." I don't know yet where he is going, but at this point I don't think it is Ohio State. Not sure if it could change back before his Aug. 2 announcement, but what I am told is that it's not Ohio State right now.“ -Bill from the Ohio state board.

Man we need him.  Drafting, maybe do something for the first time in two years?

2 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

“I just changed my Crystal Ball pick on Bijan Robinson to "foggy." I don't know yet where he is going, but at this point I don't think it is Ohio State. Not sure if it could change back before his Aug. 2 announcement, but what I am told is that it's not Ohio State right now.“ -Bill from the Ohio state board.

Well, let's hope there's something to that.  By all accounts we were running second, so hopefully it bodes well for us.  

8 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

Kurelic followed it up with:

As I said, I don't know where he is going, but I am told it is not Ohio State as of this morning. My instincts would say Arizona because of what I was told long ago about family wanting him to stay closer to home, hometown hero, etc, but we will see. I would not rule out USC or UCLA. Of course his other official visit was Texas. Again, as of now it's not Ohio State.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

Something had to piss him off.  Maybe Milton is going there. Hopefully, Ransom will reconsider also.

Edited by Bevo

13 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

And here's to you, Mr. Robinson 
Texas loves you more than you will know 
Wo wo wo 
God bless you, please, Mr. Robinson 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

Agj8K3.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

So now I'm prepared to almost get a 5* RB but eventually lose out to one of Sumlin, Helton, or Kelly.  That should sting a bit.

tOSU, Texas and USC appear to be his only OVs.  USC was a "mid-week" variety, which is usually fairly telling.  It would seem we were running 2nd behind tOSU given all reports and how his OVs shook out.  But who knows?  Az is hometown and he doesn't really need an OV if they're the choice.