Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

6 hours ago, cdain3 said:

Looks like Osu check bounced. 

“I just changed my Crystal Ball pick on Bijan Robinson to "foggy." I don't know yet where he is going, but at this point I don't think it is Ohio State. Not sure if it could change back before his Aug. 2 announcement, but what I am told is that it's not Ohio State right now.“ -Bill from the Ohio state board.

jack nicholson yes GIF

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I get what you're saying, but more like dropping from Cedric to D'onta Foreman. Not really much of a dropoff if at all. 

And I get what you're saying, but it still rankles me that we can't come up with an analogy involving someone with a similar style to Robinson. Stylistically, his game doesn't really remind me of any Texas back I can remember, other than maybe Tre Watson, but he's a bit faster and quicker, and likely to be bigger by the time McKnight is done with him. I would definitely be pleased with a more explosive version of Watson.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

This post fucked with my head. I now have no idea if I want Ty Jordan or not. 

The only reason Texas fans don't like Brett Robin is that we should have had someone better, and not had to rely on him so fucking much. That shouldn't take away the fact that he was perfectly fine for what he was -- a 3rd down back who would have been a star had he gone to Western Missoula Tech like he should have, so he could run over the Eastern Idaho State College for Left-Handed Teachers. Go Fightin' Teamsters!

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

And I get what you're saying, but it still rankles me that we can't come up with an analogy involving someone with a similar style to Robinson. Stylistically, his game doesn't really remind me of any Texas back I can remember, other than maybe Tre Watson, but he's a bit faster and quicker, and likely to be bigger by the time McKnight is done with him. I would definitely be pleased with a more explosive version of Watson.

It's like dropping from Vondrell McGee to Kyle Porter. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m in Austin all the time. I’ll be there for LSU if you’re not in Austin but might be there then. We can all meet up for a 40 race. We could do like a $50 entry fee for anyone who wants to race, winner take all. I’ll then use all of the money on booze and cheese fries.

I raced SydneyCarton a few months ago and had 10 yards on him crossing the goal line in a 100 yard sprint. He was demoralized.  

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

After hearing Ohio State was the one to beat for Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic five-star running back Bijan Robinson, I now like Texas's chances to land the blue-chipper heading into his August decision. Bucknuts247 insider Bill Kurelic was first to report that he didn't believe Robinson would end up in Columbus on Sunday morning. I have confirmed that report.

Witfong has confirmed that Bill Kurelic was the first to report that Bill Kurelic didn't believe Robinson would end up in Columbus?

Writing is hard.

Finally watched Bijan’s junior highlights. What is really special about him is his vision. He can find the hole. He also has outstanding cuts into the holes he finds. His acceleration thru the hole is fantastic. I’m trying to think of who he reminds me of. Maybe Billy Sims?

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m in Austin all the time. I’ll be there for LSU if you’re not in Austin but might be there then. We can all meet up for a 40 race. We could do like a $50 entry fee for anyone who wants to race, winner take all. I’ll then use all of the money on booze and cheese fries.

I raced SydneyCarton a few months ago and had 10 yards on him crossing the goal line in a 100 yard sprint. He was demoralized.  

I did this once about 4yrs ago. Ended up leaning too far forward and started doing the windmill with my arms, tried to front roll out of it and landed on my shoulder. I hurt for weeks. Fuck that idea ever again 

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Who won the dunk contest on the 8 ft rim?

In

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Finally watched Bijan’s junior highlights. What is really special about him is his vision. He can find the hole. He also has outstanding cuts into the holes he finds. His acceleration thru the hole is fantastic. I’m trying to think of who he reminds me of. Maybe Billy Sims?

That’s a lot of holes.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Can't decide if I want to compete or drink beer and laugh at the "racers".

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Has there been a bigger swing in job performance than Beck? From calling that shit ass offense to coaching up Sam, landing elite QB talent, and starting a pipeline to AZ. 

No, he’s been what I expected Meh and Drayton to be.

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Challenge accepted, old man 

This is pleasant Sunday news. Bijan is a culture fit and an exceptional RB. His vision is very, very good.

If we end up getting him, I think the floor on this recruiting class is going up alot. We will have others reconsider any miasmic rumors around the direction of this program and those building it.

As always...OU Sucks and fuck aggy. Hook'em!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Robinson:

giphy.gif

Billy Sims:

giphy.gif

I could maybe see it. Sims is obviously bigger, but then, he's in college here, and Robinson's just in high school still. I'm pretty sure there's more clips of Robinson catching the ball out of the backfield, too. But if that's the comparison, I can certainly live with it.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Robinson:

giphy.gif

Billy Sims:

giphy.gif

I could maybe see it. Sims is obviously bigger, but then, he's in college here, and Robinson's just in high school still. I'm pretty sure there's more clips of Robinson catching the ball out of the backfield, too. But if that's the comparison, I can certainly live with it.

Reminds me more of Eric Metcalf than Billy Sims.

Blair Angulo compared Bijan to David Johnson when he evaluated him a while back.

Stout, lean frame. Well-proportioned weight. Looks strong at 200 pounds. Terrific vision and patience behind the line of scrimmage. Has burst to hit the second level and reach another gear. Short strides, but effectively changes pace and turns the corner. Elusive in the open field. Threat to score from anywhere on the field. Serviceable pass-catcher with good hands. Runs with loose grip on the football; will need to tighten mechanics and possession. Could improve pass blocking. Potential to contribute immediately in college and garner All-American buzz. Upside as first-round NFL Draft selection.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I’m all for it. 

LSU weekend it is, then. Someone needs to plan. Some young dipshits with more time. We can make it a party. 

I’ve got a long stretch of parking lot you can use. I’m sure the other tailgates won’t mind. 

23 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Here's an important question: when pronouncing Bijan, is the emphasis on the first syllable as in "dijon" or the second as in "DeSean"?

I was going to tell you just check the official roster if/when he gets added, but when I went to check, it looks like they removed that feature. They used to have an "ear" icon next to difficult or ambiguous names on the roster. Click the icon and an audio file played with the correct pronunciation. Don't know if this feature is permanently removed or perhaps may come back once the season is under way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

I was going to tell you just check the official roster if/when he gets added, but when I went to check, it looks like they removed that feature. They used to have an "ear" icon next to difficult or ambiguous names on the roster. Click the icon and an audio file played with the correct pronunciation. Don't know if this feature is permanently removed or perhaps may come back once the season is under way.

Thanks, great post.