Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

On 9/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, closetojumping said:

Ol’Ro isn’t on that ATM tip these days. Not sure they’ve figured it out yet. Another dude Jimbo has pissed off, which is awesome. 

Floyd might be back but Brown almost certainly goes on medical scholarship. So you can assume at least 21 and maybe 22 if you’re not an optimist. 

I suspect they take 23 unless they land Ringo. They’re going to be aggressive on the transfer/GT side as usual and think they need a few spots. 

My O/U a few months ago was 23.5

Damn I’m good 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They are going to flip Dixon. I doubt LVBS ever visits again. Anyone saying that Texas won’t take Dixon is full of shit and to be disregarded. I went through all of the WR related stuff a few pages back if someone wants to link or you want to find them. It’s highly doubtful that they take two more WRs and it is looking like the one open slot is about to be taken. 

How long till Kate pops in??

kate-beckinsale-arrives-at-heathrow-airp

• Like 1

Casey better start impressing fast. I'm for one that isn't. Is RoJo still getting snaps at QB? I think he is the next Sam. Love this kid.

I have no idea how Thompson, JQJ, Card and Rojo settles out when Sam’s done but Rojo looks like a guy who can be valuable elsewhere. To paraphrase a quote from someone on the coaching staff “I don’t know if he’s a quarterback but he’s something.”

So happy for him that his sacrifice of switching to RB has turned out well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I have no idea how Thompson, JQJ, Card and Rojo settles out when Sam’s done but Rojo looks like a guy who can be valuable elsewhere. To paraphrase a quote from someone on the coaching staff “I don’t know if he’s a quarterback but he’s something.”

So happy for him that his sacrifice of switching to RB has turned out well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rojo isn't going back to QB. JQJ needs a few years to develop a passer. Card is going to need some time in the weight room. There's definitely a window for Thompson to play.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

While they were at Houston, didn’t they convert a QB to WR then he came back to play QB? Ward? 

Ward was recruited as an ATH, having played one year of varsity high school WR and two years of QB. His freshman year at UH he played both; he started his sophomore season As a starter at WR, but due to injury, moved back to QB.

Edited by Walden Ponderer

Assuming Roschon wants a shot to be QB long term, I think it makes the most sense to move him back after the season and give him the spring to see if he can make progress on his passing mechanics. If he's making progress, give him his redshirt, and Texas has a QB who's football character is off the charts and who is an excellent runner; he'd likely be in the Jalen Hurts/JT Barrett mold. He can then compete for the 2021 job as a third year guy with fourth year Casey Thompson, second year Card and Jackson, and first year Milroe.

If his passing appears to be a lost cause in the spring, then he'll probably know it deep down and be fine with a move back to running back, and he probably doesn't lose that much running back development from not playing it in the spring, considering how he already looks despite being moved there mid-fall camp. Then you're looking at Ingram, Whittington, Roschon, Young, Bijan, Jordan, and maybe even the mythical Kirk Johnson if he wants a medical shirt, and we'll have RB depth. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, Thiefery said:

GDCTJ is the man.. where do we send our $9.95 to? And could you do an annual top 30 state rankings?

he should do a 45, just so he has 1 more than Looch's 44 (which is a weird number to stop at and I assume has some A&M numerology lore behind it?)

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:18 PM, HtownHorn said:

Texas has room for 18 without attrition. Johnson portaled this week so that makes 19. Moore is likely not playing for Texas again, that makes 20. Those 2 were unexpected attrition going into the season. So we are break even right now. Typical 3-5 attrition spots gives Texas plenty of room to work with for the 2020 class.

you know that is what I thought was the case too, but he was on the sidelines during the Ok State game in a jersey, unless there is another #14 J Moore, and was seen on TV which makes me wonder if this is different than the Demarco Boyd situatino?

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Then you're looking at Ingram, Whittington, Roschon, Young, Bijan, Jordan

The staff will need to make some tough decisions about that room. Ingram and Bijan are the future feature backs, and Whittington and Jordan complementary. Young will get goalline reps. So where does RJ fit?

Schematically, we can run some 21 personnel that motions Whittington out wide or give him routes from the backfield. He should be more of a true APB where he splits his wide and backfield snaps 50/50. With RJs pass catching ability, maybe you let him compete with Whittington for reps in the hybrid role and treat that depth chart as a separate entity that can backfill rb depth when needed. 

Roschon is a monster and deserves an opportunity to compete for meaningful snaps. I'll be curious to see if his throwing mechanics improve, because if not, we've got a bit of a log jam. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The staff will need to make some tough decisions about that room. Ingram and Bijan are the future feature backs, and Whittington and Jordan complementary. Young will get goalline reps. So where does RJ fit?

Schematically, we can run some 21 personnel that motions Whittington out wide or give him routes from the backfield. He should be more of a true APB where he splits his wide and backfield snaps 50/50. With RJs pass catching ability, maybe you let him compete with Whittington for reps in the hybrid role and treat that depth chart as a separate entity that can backfill rb depth when needed. 

Roschon is a monster and deserves an opportunity to compete for meaningful snaps. I'll be curious to see if his throwing mechanics improve, because if not, we've got a bit of a log jam. 

It's a ways a way and some guys could develop differently than others, and given the way Herman camps/practices, some guys will get banged up or seriously injured. If everyone is healthy, I'd probably just have a three man first team rotation of Ingram, Whittington, and Roschon, and then give Bijan and Young, and maybe Kirk if he's around, the backup reps. Probably redshirt Jordan unless the injury bug hits hard. 

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If this is Roschon's floor at RB I think it's going to be very difficult to move him back to QB. An above average RB for 3 more years > the hope of developing Roschon's passing mechanics at QB while he sits on the bench for another year or 2. 

Another way to look at it is, if he's this good as a tailback, imagine how effective he'd be running the ball as a QB where it's easier due to usually having a numbers advantage and an element of surprise? Obviously, he'd need to be a good passer as well. It's by far the most important position on the field so it makes sense to see if he can fit there, especially considering the impending 5* joining the RB room to go with Ingram and Whittington. 

There's variables to weigh on both sides of the discussion, but first Texas will need to see if Roschon truly wants a shot at QB, and how his development in the passing game is moving along. 

• Like 2