Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I wouldn't mind seeing RoJo on the field at the same time as KI.Ā  Have him replace Brewer some.Ā  He's physical and smart and it would give us a other useful weapon.Ā  He's a tough kid.Ā  You could tell him to block down on an end or clear out a LB andĀ 

tenor.gif?itemid=12408893

Ā 

Agree.Ā  Consider the "Pitt Special" that Pitt used to beat UCF this past weekend:

tatHkT.gif

KI takes the direct snap and pitches to RoJo on the reverse, who hits Sam running free up the seam for the TD.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Agree.Ā  Consider the "Pitt Special" that Pitt used to beat UCF this past weekend:

tatHkT.gif

KI takes the direct snap and pitches to RoJo on the reverse, who hits Sam running free up the seam for the TD.

We need the play where Wiley throws it to Roschon who then laterals it to SamĀ 

I don't know where rojo should ultimately play, but I do think his loyalty and desire to help the team this year has earned him the right to compete at QB again if that's what he wants.

If nothing else, Herman loves an alpha competitor at QB, and based on how he runs and his demeanor during games, I'd say rojo is that.

It won't be enough to make him the starter if his mechanics and accuracy never get resolved, but I really can't see a world in which he's not given the opportunity to go compete at QB simply bc he stepped in at rb to help the team this year.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I wouldn't mind seeing RoJo on the field at the same time as KI.Ā  Have him replace Brewer some.Ā  He's physical and smart and it would give us a other useful weapon.Ā  He's a tough kid.Ā  You could tell him to block down on an end or clear out a LB andĀ 

suspicious fry GIF

Ā 

I do think Roschon has innate accuracy if he gets his mechanics figured out. You don't pass for 70%+ completion and 10.0+ YPP as a junior if you're inaccurate, and it's not like his team was frequently overmatching the opposition with talent. If his mechanics to unlock his ability to spin the ball consistently, I think there's some upside there.Ā 

50 minutes ago, NoName said:

he should do a 45, just so he has 1 more than Looch's 44 (which is a weird number to stop at and I assume has some A&M numerology lore behind it?)

One of my buddies said we should do a top 50 that incorporates the legitimate shitheadedness, or not, of a player; is real about grades; and factors in the dirtiness of the recruitment to the ranking. Or just go the other way and make it strictly about the best player.Ā 

Out first take fucking around with it has Evans coming in at 24, which I still think is too high. Thought about collaborating with a couple of filmĀ junkies from here and posting a thread on it for each of 2020 and 2021.Ā 

My problem is Iā€™m not sure if that would make things more fun or less fun as a poster here.Ā 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of my buddies said we should do a top 50 that incorporates the legitimate shitheadedness, or not, of a player; is real about grades; and factors in the dirtiness of the recruitment to the ranking. Or just go the other way and make it strictly about the best player.Ā 

Out first take fucking around with it has Evans coming in at 24, which I still think is too high. Thought about collaborating with a couple of filmĀ junkies from here and posting a thread on it for each of 2020 and 2021.Ā 

My problem is Iā€™m not sure if that would make things more fun or less fun as a poster here.Ā 

i mean, you already embrace the hate you get today...would be interesting to see for sure. Even if it is just a Top 10 + a few other random joke-y awards would be interesting

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think RoJo has a lot of similarities to Ogbanaya, who played in the league for a while as a well-rounded back that played a selfless game. I am fine if he goes back to QB, but heā€™s got the talent to be a true asset in the backfield for the duration of his time on campus.Ā 

Chris O comp is a good one imo.Ā  Similar running styles too if I remember correctly

1 hour ago, NoName said:

you know that is what I thought was the case too, but he was on the sidelines during the Ok State game in a jersey, unless there is another #14 J Moore, and was seen on TV which makes me wonder if this is different than the Demarco Boyd situatino?

You sure it wasn't this #14 you saw?

Sam Saxton

41 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, you already embrace the hate you get today...would be interesting to see for sure. Even if it is just a Top 10 + a few other random joke-y awards would be interesting

I donā€™t feel much hate, honestly. Mocking people and getting mocked is fine and fun. My issue is that Iā€™d probably take it seriously. I think I have enough stuff to take seriously.Ā 

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Ward was recruited as an ATH, having played one year of varsity high school WR and two years of QB. His freshman year at UH he played both; he started his sophomore season As a starter at WR, but due to injury, moved back to QB.

He moved back to QB because O'Korn regressed terribly after Meachum left for OSU.

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

It tells us they are still on the team. Nothing more than that. Portal also doesn't guarantee somebody is leaving, just highly likely.Ā 

By their demeanor, I would be surprised if either are here in the spring but you are correct. Anything is possible.

Roach: Stampede

Spoiler

I had the opportunity to visit Arizona this week and speak withĀ Bijan RobinsonĀ and those around him.

While I was in town, I checked in with sources on a few other things within the Texas sphere.Ā Letā€™s start with the five-star runner and his commitment level with the Longhorns.

I was able to speak with a few different players, coaches and Robinson himself.Ā From talking to everyone I could about the subject, the consensus I got was that Robinson was incredibly happy with his commitment to the Longhorns.Ā Not only does Texas present the best chance to play, Robinson and those around him feel that Austin is the best fit for him for a future environment.

Robinson himself said that his commitment is ā€œvery strongā€ and heā€™s looking to get back to Austin for an unofficial visit.Ā Travel from Tucson is pretty tough, so Robinson said heā€™d have to figure out a week where he was off.Ā He mentioned Thanksgiving as a possibility.Ā He has a few officials left that he can take, and those will be the ones Texas and their fans will have to sweat.

Robinson said heā€™s not really focused on that right now, and heā€™s not even sure that he will take any remaining officials.Ā Robinson did confirm that if he takes any additional visits, he would likely trip to Baton Rouge to see LSU.Ā A source I spoke with at LSU said the Tigers haveĀ been in contact with Robinson, but there does not appear to be an overwhelming sense of optimism on their part.

The source also indicated that there was some confidence on LSUā€™s side in landing Galena Park North Shore running backĀ Zachary Evans, which could help the Longhorns.

A source I spoke with in Austin felt very good about their status with Robinson, and I was told that confidence would remain even if Robinson were to take other visits.Ā The bottom line is, from all I gathered it sounds like Robinson is pretty firm and Longhorn fans have nothing to worry about as of now.

While I was in Tucson, I also checked in with Robinsonā€™s teammate,Ā Jonah Miller.Ā The 2021 offensive lineman raved about his trip to Texas in the spring, and he said that RobinsonĀ being there makes it even more appealing to him.

Miller said that he connected with the Texas coaches and really loved the wayĀ Herb HandĀ ran practice and drills.Ā Miller mentioned that on other visits heĀ has taken, he has seen some coaches run drills that had no clear purpose, while Handā€™s drills are all taught practical skills.

Miller mentioned that this was one of the biggest things to stand out to him.

Miller wants to make it back to Austin next year, and he said the Longhorns would likely get an official visit before he makes his decision.Ā Iā€™d look for that visit to be in the spring or summer since Miller wants to make his decision late summer before his senior season.Ā 2021 is loaded with in-state talent, but a source at Texas indicated that the Longhorns are very high on Miller and pushing for him as part of their 2021 class.

While in Arizona, I also spoke with some sources regarding Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro cornerbackĀ Kelee Ringo.Ā Iā€™m going to take this opportunity to re-introduce some cautious Ringo optimism to the Texas fanbase.Ā The key words Iā€™d use here areĀ someĀ andĀ cautious, but it sounds like the door isnā€™t closed on the Longhorns.

As I mentioned late last week, sources I spoke with felt that Texas was regaining some ground with the elite corner.

A source at Texas indicated more of a 50/50 feeling between the Longhorns and Georgia.Ā I was initially skeptical until I spoke with a source on the Georgia side who also felt that their chances were 50/50.Ā Georgia is pushing for a few other corners right now including five-star LSU commitĀ Elias Ricks.

We are still digging for when Ringo plans to take his official visit, but Texas cornerbacks coachĀ Jason WashingtonĀ is expected to visit Arizona thisĀ week withĀ Texas on itsĀ bye.

Texas could make up the ground needed on the official visit, so the timing and experience will be important there.Ā Remain grounded, but you have my permission to get a bit excited here.

Four-star receiverĀ Troy Omeireā€™s flip from Texas A&M to Texas came as a bit of a surprise to just about everyone covering his recruitment.Ā Iā€™m told that he informed the A&M staff shortly before making the decision and the Aggies were incredibly heated.

Omeireā€™s recruitment swung back and forth during the spring and summer, and on multiple occasions, he gave both schools silent commitments.

Before he made his initial public commitment to A&M, I decided to keep my crystal ball on Texas because of the back and forth nature of this recruitment.Ā A source at Texas told me a few weeks ago that the Longhorns were ā€œstill swingingā€ at Omeire along with several other targets.Ā In fact, Texas never backed off following Omeireā€™s original commitment to A&M.

Despite reports that Omeire wasnā€™t a take for the Longhorns, he was indeed a huge priority.

Texas likes big receivers and they feel Omeire is a strong fit for their offensive scheme.Ā The Longhorns didnā€™t put the hard push on him once he was committed, but they did make sure to stay top of mind with the Houston-area four-star prospect.

As I wrote on Friday, the win was big for Texas in yet another head to head victory over the Aggies, and the first flip in this series in quite a while.

State momentum will probably swing year to year between both teams, but Texas appears to have seized the momentum for now.Ā It will be interesting to see what changes A&M makes to combat this because the Aggies haveĀ made some curious tactical decisions on the recruiting front this year.

Texas is likely down to about three-to-four scholarships for 2020, so we are truly in the home stretch for this class.

Ā 

2 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Ā  Hide contents

While in Arizona, I also spoke with some sources regarding Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro cornerbackĀ Kelee Ringo.Ā Iā€™m going to take this opportunity to re-introduce some cautious Ringo optimism to the Texas fanbase.Ā The key words Iā€™d use here areĀ someĀ andĀ cautious, but it sounds like the door isnā€™t closed on the Longhorns.

Ā 

Jesus, that's like a CB from Roach. We must really be in this thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I am guessing Fouonji is the odd man out with the Omeire commitment.

Fouonji went 7/194 with 3 TDs Friday night...against El Paso Eastwood.

I wouldn't be so sure. I get the impression that Texas has become less confident in landing LVBS and may push hard for Loic to commit soonĀ 

57 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Ā  Hide contents

I had the opportunity to visit Arizona this week and speak withĀ Bijan RobinsonĀ and those around him.

While I was in town, I checked in with sources on a few other things within the Texas sphere.Ā Letā€™s start with the five-star runner and his commitment level with the Longhorns.

I was able to speak with a few different players, coaches and Robinson himself.Ā From talking to everyone I could about the subject, the consensus I got was that Robinson was incredibly happy with his commitment to the Longhorns.Ā Not only does Texas present the best chance to play, Robinson and those around him feel that Austin is the best fit for him for a future environment.

Robinson himself said that his commitment is ā€œvery strongā€ and heā€™s looking to get back to Austin for an unofficial visit.Ā Travel from Tucson is pretty tough, so Robinson said heā€™d have to figure out a week where he was off.Ā He mentioned Thanksgiving as a possibility.Ā He has a few officials left that he can take, and those will be the ones Texas and their fans will have to sweat.

Robinson said heā€™s not really focused on that right now, and heā€™s not even sure that he will take any remaining officials.Ā Robinson did confirm that if he takes any additional visits, he would likely trip to Baton Rouge to see LSU.Ā A source I spoke with at LSU said the Tigers haveĀ been in contact with Robinson, but there does not appear to be an overwhelming sense of optimism on their part.

The source also indicated that there was some confidence on LSUā€™s side in landing Galena Park North Shore running backĀ Zachary Evans, which could help the Longhorns.

A source I spoke with in Austin felt very good about their status with Robinson, and I was told that confidence would remain even if Robinson were to take other visits.Ā The bottom line is, from all I gathered it sounds like Robinson is pretty firm and Longhorn fans have nothing to worry about as of now.

While I was in Tucson, I also checked in with Robinsonā€™s teammate,Ā Jonah Miller.Ā The 2021 offensive lineman raved about his trip to Texas in the spring, and he said that RobinsonĀ being there makes it even more appealing to him.

Miller said that he connected with the Texas coaches and really loved the wayĀ Herb HandĀ ran practice and drills.Ā Miller mentioned that on other visits heĀ has taken, he has seen some coaches run drills that had no clear purpose, while Handā€™s drills are all taught practical skills.

Miller mentioned that this was one of the biggest things to stand out to him.

Miller wants to make it back to Austin next year, and he said the Longhorns would likely get an official visit before he makes his decision.Ā Iā€™d look for that visit to be in the spring or summer since Miller wants to make his decision late summer before his senior season.Ā 2021 is loaded with in-state talent, but a source at Texas indicated that the Longhorns are very high on Miller and pushing for him as part of their 2021 class.

As I mentioned late last week, sources I spoke with felt that Texas was regaining some ground with the elite corner.

A source at Texas indicated more of a 50/50 feeling between the Longhorns and Georgia.Ā I was initially skeptical until I spoke with a source on the Georgia side who also felt that their chances were 50/50.Ā Georgia is pushing for a few other corners right now including five-star LSU commitĀ Elias Ricks.

We are still digging for when Ringo plans to take his official visit, but Texas cornerbacks coachĀ Jason WashingtonĀ is expected to visit Arizona thisĀ week withĀ Texas on itsĀ bye.

Texas could make up the ground needed on the official visit, so the timing and experience will be important there.Ā Remain grounded, but you have my permission to get a bit excited here.

Four-star receiverĀ Troy Omeireā€™s flip from Texas A&M to Texas came as a bit of a surprise to just about everyone covering his recruitment.Ā Iā€™m told that he informed the A&M staff shortly before making the decision and the Aggies were incredibly heated.

Omeireā€™s recruitment swung back and forth during the spring and summer, and on multiple occasions, he gave both schools silent commitments.

Before he made his initial public commitment to A&M, I decided to keep my crystal ball on Texas because of the back and forth nature of this recruitment.Ā A source at Texas told me a few weeks ago that the Longhorns were ā€œstill swingingā€ at Omeire along with several other targets.Ā In fact, Texas never backed off following Omeireā€™s original commitment to A&M.

Despite reports that Omeire wasnā€™t a take for the Longhorns, he was indeed a huge priority.

Texas likes big receivers and they feel Omeire is a strong fit for their offensive scheme.Ā The Longhorns didnā€™t put the hard push on him once he was committed, but they did make sure to stay top of mind with the Houston-area four-star prospect.

As I wrote on Friday, the win was big for Texas in yet another head to head victory over the Aggies, and the first flip in this series in quite a while.

State momentum will probably swing year to year between both teams, but Texas appears to have seized the momentum for now.Ā It will be interesting to see what changes A&M makes to combat this because the Aggies haveĀ made some curious tactical decisions on the recruiting front this year.

Texas is likely down to about three-to-four scholarships for 2020, so we are truly in the home stretch for this class.

Ā 

Ringo must have enrolled already if Roach is this confident

IT

-- 2020 cornerback recruit Ethan Pouncey suffered a labrum injury that will require surgery and shut him down for the year. That's a bummer but at least he has a lot of football ahead of him.
Ā 

HUDSON CARD

Lake Travis totally overmatched the Akins Eagles in its district matchup Friday night, 49-0. The game was over by the first quarter, and 2020 Lake Travis QB Hudson Cardā€™s night was done at half with a 42-0 lead.

Prior to his early exit, Card was 8-of-9 passing for 134 yards and two scores. He had to avoid Akins defenders and make a nice throw on the run for his second score.

After the easy win, Card spoke with Inside Texas about recruiting, the UT offense, and more.

IT: You guys got off to a great start tonight, you made good throws but werenā€™t asked to do a whole lot against this opponent. How did it feel out there?

HC: I felt good. Thereā€™s still stuff to improve on. We play our rival in a couple of weeks. It felt good. We were just trying to play as well as we could, really focusing on just playing our game and improving every week.

IT: Whatā€™s your role in making sure LT does a job of focusing on improving itself rather than focusing on the (outmatched) opponent in a given week?

HC: Not try to do anything special other than just play whatā€™s coached. If we do that, then good things will happen.

IT: Your class grabbed another commitment this week, what is the momentum like for your class?

HC: It keeps getting better and better. I think weā€™re at No. 5 now overall, and adding Troy Omeire was a huge pickup.

IT: Heā€™s in your class. Quentin Johnston is in your class. What do those two guys bring to the field?

HC: Theyā€™re big receivers, really athletic. Theyā€™ve got height and theyā€™ve got speed, too. I canā€™t wait. Iā€™m excited.

IT: Have you been able to see some of the numbers Bijan Robinson has put up in Arizona?

HC: How can I not see it? Itā€™s been everywhere. Heā€™s obviously off to a really good start to a good season. Iā€™m pumped for that.

IT: At this point, what do you personally have to do to make sure Lake Travis gets to where it really wants to go?

HC: Just improve every week. Every game, Iā€™m trying to get a little bit better. Iā€™m trying to not miss assignments and just play really clean, physical, and hard. If we do all that, then good things will happen.

IT: What are you looking forward to in the OSU/UT game? Lots of points?

HC: Thatā€™s always exciting. High-scoring games are always fun, especially to be at. I think itā€™ll be a good game and theyā€™re a good team. It should be a fun one.

IT: What have you seen from Texasā€™ offense this year, both in Sam Ehlinger play and the passing attack they didnā€™t really have last year?

HC: I think from last year to this year, itā€™s been a huge jump already. Theyā€™re making throws and they also give him the chance to run, too, which fits me. Their offense is everything Iā€™m looking for. Iā€™m definitely paying attention. Thatā€™s obviously where Iā€™m going to be in three or four months. Itā€™s crazy. Iā€™m still trying to stay focused on here. Itā€™s my senior year here and I have yet to win a state championship, coming so close. Thatā€™s always been my goal. Thatā€™s mainly what Iā€™m focused on.

STATE OF RECRUITING

So, Friday was fun. Saturday too. The Sunday hangover was worth it.

Herman flips a 2020 Aggie WR pledge, Troy Omeire, who ā€œwatched the film,ā€ then defeat Oklahoma State at home for the first time since the IPhone 2.

The class increased to 20 leaving three, maybe four spots. Assume Alfred Collins has one. That leaves three, at the most. Two might be more likely.

That probably knocks Loic Fouonji out. You never know. It does still leave a hole at slot (H).

Cali-bred four-star LV Bunkley-Shelton wants to take an official in October/November. Oregon, USC are pushing here too. Bunkley-Shelton has told IT about how much he prefers UT. With the numbers crunch, may only be room for one slot.

In case the hyphen curse continues, donā€™t be surprised if Texas looks harder at ā€˜20 Carthage three-star WR Kelvontay Dixon, who has remained in contact even after his commitment to Arkansas in mid July.

Dixon, 6-foot, 185-pounder has had a fantastic senior start; 300+ yards receiving, on 15 catches, seven touchdowns.

ā€œI had a real good time,ā€ said Dixon. "I got to watch my brother (Keaontay Ingram) do well."

Texas has had a relationship with Dixon for well over three years now, with Kelvontay having the privilege of watching the process through his big brother's recruitment.

ā€œ(Texas) is still talking to me ,ā€ Dixon said. He mentions that he's still solid to Arkansas, but a couple sources say if Texas pushed, a flip could happen.

Add two dozen prospects and 1/3 of UTā€™s C/O taking officials like Jerrin, Karic, Alford, and Princely.

Karic resembles a monster standing next to Texasā€™ pledges Jake Majors and Logan Parr.

Thompson is beyond grateful for the entire experience. "It's only one game at a time."

Shadow Creek defensive back and Texas pledge, Xavion Alford, was pleased as well.

"It was great," said Alford. "We have a hell of a class and some of us are going to come in and make an immediate impact. DKR is a stadium like no other. I can't wait to walk out there next year as a freshman and put on a show for the city of Austin. 100-YARD LANDLORD is absolutely certain that DKR is where he wants to collect his rent."

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we are dipping our toes in the ā€œaggressive recruiting tactics,ā€ then ringo is the kind of player to do it for.Ā 

If we are not playing the game, we are stupid. I like the Clemson approach of selectively paying instead of the NYĀ Yankees approach employed by Alabama and Georgia.Ā 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

We already have two outside receivers. I don't think either have a spot.Ā 

Huh? LVBS and IngramĀ both project to H. The only potential outside receiver remaining is Fuonji.Ā 

Iā€™d still like to take Fuonji and a slot WR, orĀ takeĀ LVBS and Ingram, since IngramĀ has some positional versatility.Ā 

Weā€™ll see though. Numbers are tight and itā€™s be good to leave a couple open for late risers/JUCOs.Ā 

Edited by Burt Macklin