Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

18 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

So Nahlin suggest LVBS is a slot. Is he or isn't he? And, if he is, who would be the preferred slot--Dixon or LVBS? 

We know the staff values sure hands in the slot. I haven't watched the same amount of film for Dixon, but LVBS appears to have Duvernay level hands. That said, Dixon has an inside look at the culture of the program and if he feels like he's a culture fit, I'm sure Herman would value that as well. I think it's a win-win with either. Especially if Dixon decides to make himself available to other positions.

24 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

So Nahlin suggest LVBS is a slot. Is he or isn't he? And, if he is, who would be the preferred slot--Dixon or LVBS? 

I think LVBS is the better prospect, in a vacuum. I'd feel more confident in Dixon not causing locker room, portal, or recruiting drama, and maximizing his ability though. Either is good with me. 

My read is they think LVBS is the better player but are wary of eligibility/landing/keeping him and are trying to float Dixon still until they get clarity on grades and intent from the OOS player.

As long as they don’t fuck up and end up with neither, which feels like a real possibility at this time. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My read is they think LVBS is the better player but are wary of eligibility/landing/keeping him and are trying to float Dixon still until they get clarity on grades and intent from the OOS player.

As long as they don’t fuck up and end up with neither, which feels like a real possibility at this time. 

If Arky is the competition and his brother doesn't portal, I don't see how he would decline the option if offered. He's got his safety school locked up already. 

I guess we should also verify that he doesn't play baseball. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

Ringo is probably the first recruit since Jamaal Charles that Texas could honestly say, "you might be the difference between us winning a national championship or not your freshman year," to with a straight face.

I don't think anyone from the 2008 or 2009 classes fit that description. Maybe Alex Okafor.

Edit: dammit. Robinson too actually

Edited by fellside
  • Like 2

I've been as high on Ringo as anyone since he appeared on the recruiting radar, but I don't think he'd just show up and start here in 2020. If that's part of your recruiting pitch with no concern about it being true, then fine, but if you're expecting that, you might be disappointed. 

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

I've been as high on Ringo as anyone since he appeared on the recruiting radar, but I don't think he'd just show up and start here in 2020. If that's part of your recruiting pitch with no concern about it being true, then fine, but if you're expecting that, you might be disappointed. 

Dude is better than Boyce already lol. He isn't Stingley level good but he's still an amazing corner who will be great as a true freshman and likely elite as a sophomore and junior.

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think it's reasonable to think it happens, but may be a stretch to assume. If Stingley can start for LSU with their general DB depth, I don't think it's crazy to think Ringo could do the same with us. I'm just hopeful that he comes and Green, Jamison, Cook, etc. make it more difficult than him just being able to walk up and take it.

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Dude is better than Boyce already lol. He isn't Stingley level good but he's still an amazing corner who will be great as a true freshman and likely elite as a sophomore and junior.

He got roasted in DB drills at one of the elite camps this summer. He's a freak athlete, an dplays aggressively and with a lot of physicality, but he's not an advanced corner in regards to covering, and I don't think he's an early enrollee. I don't think he'd start over two of Green, Cook, Jamison, Boyce, and Kenyatta next year. 

He got roasted in DB drills at one of the elite camps this summer. He's a freak athlete, an dplays aggressively and with a lot of physicality, but he's not an advanced corner in regards to covering, and I don't think he's an early enrollee. I don't think he'd start over two of Green, Cook, Jamison, Boyce, and Kenyatta next year. 

Pretty sure I’ve read that Arizona schools don’t allow kids to graduate early

3 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Boyce looked better against okie lite 

OSU's non-Wallace WRs are worse than usual this year - pretty pedestrian talent-wise, and Sanders kept underthrowing his long balls and making them come back to them. Still, he did ok, and for him that's good.

Edited by texifornia

4 hours ago, Atticus said:

Alford needs to relax a bit with all that landlord stuff. He needs to let his play speak for itself before he starts worrying about his brand.

He’s putting too much pressure on himself to perform.

you're wearing dark bluejeans and white new balances, aren't you?

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

57 minutes ago, Dummy said:

I think it's reasonable to think it happens, but may be a stretch to assume. If Stingley can start for LSU with their general DB depth, I don't think it's crazy to think Ringo could do the same with us. I'm just hopeful that he comes and Green, Jamison, Cook, etc. make it more difficult than him just being able to walk up and take it.

Fud’s right. Ringo is nothing like Stingley. They’re both freak athletes, but Stingley was way more advanced at this stage in his career than Ringo and Stingley was an EE. Ringo has a ton of technical improvement needed compared to Stingley, and it’s extremely unlikely Ringo would be able to come in and start right away.

He definitely wouldn’t be “great” as a true freshman.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The staff will need to make some tough decisions about that room. Ingram and Bijan are the future feature backs, and Whittington and Jordan complementary. Young will get goalline reps. So where does RJ fit?

Schematically, we can run some 21 personnel that motions Whittington out wide or give him routes from the backfield. He should be more of a true APB where he splits his wide and backfield snaps 50/50. With RJs pass catching ability, maybe you let him compete with Whittington for reps in the hybrid role and treat that depth chart as a separate entity that can backfill rb depth when needed. 

Roschon is a monster and deserves an opportunity to compete for meaningful snaps. I'll be curious to see if his throwing mechanics improve, because if not, we've got a bit of a log jam. 

I know their roles don't totally overlap - but if RoJo stays at RB, Ty Jordan will have to fight to get reps over them. RoJo has shown a ton of ability and will only get better - he's still so new to the position.

Fud’s right. Ringo is nothing like Stingley. They’re both freak athletes, but Stingley was way more advanced at this stage in his career than Ringo and Stingley was an EE. Ringo has a ton of technical improvement needed compared to Stingley, and it’s extremely unlikely Ringo would be able to come in and start right away.

Boooooooooooo

10 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I wouldn't be so sure. I get the impression that Texas has become less confident in landing LVBS and may push hard for Loic to commit soon 

CTJ or someone else said that the staff is pushing hard for Kelvontay Dixon to flip. Considering Arkansas is a complete mess I'd say it's good odds.

I wonder if there is room for Loic.

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You're both right, of course, but, in fairness, it won't matter how much technical improvement Ringo needs in coverage when WRs are on their backs on the turf behind the LOS.

Edited by Voluminous Banality