Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

11 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I wonder if Catalon regrets signing with one of the worse teams in all of college football. Morris will be gone after 2020 and he could have seen the field Saturday night against OK state. 

How much playing time is Catalon getting in football for Arky this year??  

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sounds like schools are inquiring as to how strong his commitment really is

that wouldn't make sense since he's already committed.  that would be like saying don't recruit me if you haven't been recruiting me from the start.  he shouldn't give a shit what new schools are recruiting him since he is committed.

i think it's about the new recruits.

but what do it know?

2 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

What’s that hashtag mean?  

https://genius.com/Fbg-duck-nah-fr-lyrics ?

[Intro]
Aye Major, Ion want no auto-tune
Ion want no auto-tune, fuck allat shit
Gang gang since potty train, allat shit
You know what I'm sayin’
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

[Verse]
Aye, aye
I used to want to be like Jay-Z when I grow up
Aye, I was young, so what?
Now the kids wanna be like Duck when they grow up
Ain't that so nuts? (Yeahh, yeah)
Watch ya tone when you talk to me
'Less you wanna deal wit’ the consequences
That shit come wit' R.I.P
Awe he think he hard? Let's see how hard is he, aye
When the bullet hit his main artery
He can't run, aye
He can't breathe, aye
He got blood in his eyes, he can't see , aye
Okay they deep
Okay peep
I'm deep too, think this tool boy it's a piece
I got killas they gon’ ride til’ they on E, aye
They'll kill a nigga, ’specially about me, aye
They'll leave a nigga lookin' like he sleep, aye
But he deceased (He shouldn't have tweaked)
Aye, aye
When I shoot, get fuck out my way-ay-ay-ay
Where you from? From the trey
On the internet, niggas act bra-a-a-ave
See they ass in person, piece of cake (aye)
When ya see me, pussy have the same energy, aye
He gon’ try to act like he don't remember me, aye (Ooh)
Niggas straight turn bitch instantly, aye (Ooh)
Tryna tell me how he not my enemy (Ooh)
Boy you wanted these problems, I ain't give this shit to you
Now I got a few many [?] like the zoo
Once I let a bullet fly past (Phew!)
Just another Black male on the goddamn news
Ever since a nigga got big money, my mind different
Ever since I bust down a Rollie, my time different
Been doin' this since way before them, my prime different
You like busted bitches, I guess my kind different (Eww)
God blessed me wit' this brain I guess I'm mind gifted
Yo' gun on yo' waist, well bitch I got mine lifted
The choppa got a knife on that bitch, I'm cut different
One phone call, my shootas come handle they business
I ain't playin' fair, niggas ain' playin' fair neither
Told my Momma it's cold, so I stay wit' a heater
She like, "What you doin'?", shit, I ain't prayin' to no preacher
But I'll pray up to Jesus he protect me from evil (Nah for real)

[Outro]
Nah for real, nah for real
You know like....
I ain't prayin' to no motherfuckin' preacher
But I would pray up to Jesus that he protect me from evil
You know like, ha, ha (Nah for real)
Like I ain't even tryna sound cocky
But I jus' wanna know like, who gon' stop me?
Huh? namsayin (Nah for real)

1 hour ago, cdain3 said:

God I wish he was an early enrollee. Casey better watch his back.

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh boy. He is admonishing guys who were talking shit about Texas in the summer at camps who are now asking him and others to let them into the text string and who they should be talking to on the Texas staff. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

hmm.  JQJ's tweet, CTJ's captain crunch decoder ring, and BC's tweet....sounds like there is a lot of shit going on behind the scenes.  

Just now, Not a Sock said:

Is there anybody else in A&M’s class that we would even want other than Demas and Jones.

I was wondering the same thing. Who have we really missed on in this class? I can think of

Demas

Jones

Jase McClellan

JSN

Jalen Kimber

Jahari Rogers (maybe)

Josh White

Bryson Washington

CTJ

And that's pretty much it. And we have quality fallbacks to most of those guys. Like, we wanted Washington but Alford is not a bad replacement, we originally wanted Evans/Milton but we got Bijan who is a better culture fit anyway, etc. Doesn't look like a lot of misses to me, especially since we got our top targets at QB and on both lines.

9 minutes ago, Caddox said:

We missed on quite a few DB targets. Ringo would obviously help. Pouncey looks like a good get. Thats the weakness of this 2020 class for me which is kind of bothersome given the DB play so far this season. 

Eh, a lot can happen with experience and maturation. I remember how bad Michael Huff was when he first started. 

25 minutes ago, Caddox said:

We missed on quite a few DB targets. Ringo would obviously help. Pouncey looks like a good get. Thats the weakness of this 2020 class for me which is kind of bothersome given the DB play so far this season. 

Our overall DB class is pretty solid. CB definitely isn't a weakness. We have two damn good takes along with a high upside guy who will take some time and there’s still a chance at a a 5 star. Plus, both Thompson and Alford have potential at Nickel. Safety’s a little weaker than our past two classes but it’s still pretty solid. Plus we’ve built up a ton of depth there in the last two classes.

Even with our current numbers, I’d still take CTJ, Washington, Rogers, or Ringo if we can get them.

Right now, I’d say the class weaknesses are TE and LB. WR’s a little on the weak side. Dixon or LBVS would help, but it still wouldn’t be a tremendous WR class. OL looks a little weaker after the injury to Garth, but we already have a ton of depth in the current OL room and 2021 should make up for any misses in 2020 there. If we close with Collins, a WR, hopefully another LB whether JUCO or HS (even if you count Hullaby there), then that’s a damn good class with not much to complain about besides maybe not taking a true TE and hoping we’d hit on 1 or 2 more national elite guys in future classes.

57 minutes ago, Spindletop said:

I was wondering the same thing. Who have we really missed on in this class? I can think of

Demas

Jones

Jase McClellan

JSN

Jalen Kimber

Jahari Rogers (maybe)

Josh White

Bryson Washington

CTJ

And that's pretty much it. And we have quality fallbacks to most of those guys. Like, we wanted Washington but Alford is not a bad replacement, we originally wanted Evans/Milton but we got Bijan who is a better culture fit anyway, etc. Doesn't look like a lot of misses to me, especially since we got our top targets at QB and on both lines.

I like JSN, but he wasn't prioritized by the staff like the rest of this group was 

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

a lot can happen with experience and maturation.

Agreed - Boyd has written about this, and I agree, but sitting young dbs for a few years is nearly as vital as sitting olineman a few years. Their bodies need the Yancy armor, or they could be more prone to injury. Often, they'll pick up nagging injuries that can plague their career when their bodies aren't ready.

Exhibit A:

Josh Thompson - No Redshirt - 

Caden Sterns - No Redshirt

Jalen Green - No redshirt

D'Shawn Jamison - No Redshirt

DeMarvion Overshown - No Redshirt

BJ Foster - No Redshirt

The ability to redshirt the entire freshman db class will make their impact much greater and more sustainable than having to throw the blue chippers on the field like we did last year, and to an extent, this year. That said, I still think Ringo is different.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Spindletop said:

Demas

Jones

Jase McClellan

JSN

Jalen Kimber

Jahari Rogers (maybe)

Josh White

Bryson Washington

CTJ

CTJ would be the most obvious. Chris Thompson Jr. and his QB are probably friends. And Joker probably seems like a good fit for him. His concern was probably that he didn't want to be an OLB.

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Agreed - Boyd has written about this, and I agree, but sitting young dbs for a few years is nearly as vital as sitting olineman a few years. Their bodies need the Yancy armor, or they could be more prone to injury. Often, they'll pick up nagging injuries that can plague their career when their bodies aren't ready.

Exhibit A:

BJ Foster - No Redshirt

The ability to redshirt the entire freshman db class will make their impact much greater and more sustainable than having to throw the blue chippers on the field like we did last year, and to an extent, this year. That said, I still think Ringo is different.

This is a pretty specious theory. Green and Overshown absolutely redshirted for all intents and purposes.  Josh Thompson is a third year guy who broke a bone in his foot this year, so I have no idea how him not redshirting two years ago has any impact on that. Foster pulled a hamstring. That has nothing to do with him playing last year.

Sterns is the only guy you can really say would’ve been benefitted from a redshirt year as it relates to injuries, but even then, some guys just have nagging knee injuries, whether they redshirted or not, so you can’t really attribute that to lack of redshirt year without knowing more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Exhibit A:

BJ Foster - No Redshirt

Its easy for me to forget we are in the middle of a rebuild. You gotta flush the program out with young talent and Herman has done just that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

This is a pretty specious theory. Green and Overshown absolutely redshirted for all intents and purposes.  Josh Thompson is a third year guy who broke a bone in his foot this year, so I have no idea how him not redshirting two years ago has any impact on that. Foster pulled a hamstring. That has nothing to do with him playing last year.

Sterns is the only guy you can really say would’ve been benefitted from a redshirt year as it relates to injuries, but even then, some guys just have nagging knee injuries, whether they redshirted or not, so you can’t really attribute that to lack of redshirt year without knowing more.

I don't disagree that it's a weak correlation. However, our dbs are dominating our injury report and they don't have a redshirt year. Playing with proper technique helps to avoid injury as well, especially tackling angles and having to throw your body when you take a bad one (Sterns). Allowing freshman dbs to sit is imperative to keeping them off of the injury report be it building armor, learning assignments, or ensuring proper technique.

the injuries were accidents while trying to make plays.  crazy i know but that shit happens in football.  shocking.

sterns was injured contending for a high pass.  he, another db, and the wr jumped up, collided, and then he landed wrong and twisted shit.  no amount of redshirt was going prevent that injurty.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't disagree that it's a weak correlation. However, our dbs are dominating our injury report and they don't have a redshirt year. Playing with proper technique helps to avoid injury as well, especially tackling angles and having to throw your body when you take a bad one (Sterns). Allowing freshman dbs to sit is imperative to keeping them off of the injury report be it building armor, learning assignments, or ensuring proper technique.

These two things don't add up at all. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any correlation between DBs redshirting their first year and a lower rate of injuries occurring in later years, which was the original premise. 

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K says Eaton and Princely at visiting blowU this weekend. Not sure how serious princely is but Eaton is one to watch. Also had a non update on Collins saying he doesn’t know shit but everyone is confident 

Well Eaton's promising girls he'll take them to his next UT game, so we'll see what happens

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

These two things don't add up at all. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any correlation between DBs redshirting their first year and a lower rate of injuries occurring in later years, which was the original premise. 

I was incorrect, it was scipio who wrote about playing freshman. 

I don't have time to pull the data to back this up, but it makes sense to me that while playing a true freshman year, a player is more likely to be injured as a result of fatigue, technique deficiency, or being undersized. Players who do not see game time as a true freshman have the benefit of an added year of s&c and coaching to curb injury risk as more complete players. So the conclusion I am drawing is that the guys on our injury report have a higher likelihood of dealing with injuries as a result of playing as true freshman. That's a reasonable take. 

• Like 2