Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, victory88 said:

You keep Duv and Eagles at their respective positions.  They are both playing at a very high level.  Marcus Washington is very talented and does very well at high pointing the ball.  His body is not there yet and not sure how well he knows the playbook.  You basically play the hot hand between Washington and Epps.  I’m not yet ready to give up on Epps.  Collin Johnson had a bad sophomore year because he was bad at getting off press coverage and took a big jump his junior year.  Epps is just a sophomore.  I’m not expecting elite level play from him but I don’t think he’s even close to scratching his potential.  However his level of effort needs to put him on the bench until he realizes he fucking 6’7 and should be abusing DBs.

He doesn’t have that much potential. He’s a big guy who can (theoretically becuase we haven’t seen it) win jump balls. That’s it. He runs a 4.8 and he was recruited to be a TE, because he can’t actually run like a WR. 

Idk why people keep acting like Epps has all this potential. He has potential to do one thing well and that’s it. 

“I was actually going to go to Texas at first, but my mom had liked A&M,” Omeire said after Austin’s 27-16 win over Fort Bend Dulles on Thursday night. “I’m a momma’s boy, so I made that decision with her.”

However, after much deliberation in his household, it became more evident that Texas was the right place for him over the course of the last few weeks.

“I feel like I can start over there. It’s better for me and my mom, because I feel like I can make it to the league there rather than at A&M. My mom confirmed with me that Texas was the right place, so I flipped.”

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

As long as we are talking current player positions in the recruiting thread, how about giving Jordan Pouncey a shot at cb.  He laid some dude out on a kick return against OSU and looked pretty catlike doing it.  He can line up with his brother.  It would be awesome.

Pouncey should be holding a clipboard and looking after his younger brother. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He doesn’t have that much potential. He’s a big guy who can (theoretically becuase we haven’t seen it) win jump balls. That’s it. He runs a 4.8 and he was recruited to be a TE, because he can’t actually run like a WR. 

Idk why people keep acting like Epps has all this potential. He has potential to do one thing well and that’s it. 

Too early to give up on a RS FR who is 19 years old and was a clear project coming in, he needs to get back in the lab and see how he is doing next fall or the one after as a RS JR.

1 hour ago, T&T’s Dad said:

Damn, rarely has this board come together in such spectacular fashion.  The pile on Bevo is deep, and entertaining.  The race to 1000 has been made easier by one of the most universally ridiculed posts in Surly history.  Well done Bevo, well done!

I'm having a hard time distinguishing the difference between Bevo's take and Fatkid's take that Duvernay has way too many drops.

• Like 1

Soooo. Maybe four eight recruiting posts over the last four pages.

Yup, but we're gonna get to a thousand pages!

There is a football board for endless arguments about which players you hate the worst. I know the few of you made that board so miserable that you left to come here. Thanks for that.

I love the grudges, too. Great stuff that matters to so many people.

Don't make me buy one of these. Don't do it.

maxresdefault.jpg

I will torch this place, and I don't have to be the man I used to be.

tumblr_p1wb6ygRPG1wft11bo10_400.gif

I know I'm not alone in this.

enjJNWw.gif

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 9
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Pouncey should be holding a clipboard and looking after his younger brother. 

Too early to give up on a RS FR who is 19 years old and was a clear project coming in, he needs to get back in the lab and see how he is doing next fall or the one after as a RS JR.

try reading. I’m not giving up on Epps, but he’s a limited player even if he pans out. People keep acting like he has all the skill and potential in the world when he doesn’t. He could be good for us, but he’s never going to be a dominant WR. There’s too many things he doesn’t posses the physical ability to do. 

he is fluid for his size/speed, is he could become a solid possession receiver, but that’s his ceiling.

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Epps obsession from (checks notes ...) yep, Drew fucking Mehringer is ridiculous. They're pathologically committed to a guy that has shown nothing but the ability to play really small for a huge man during game time. He's fucking brutal to watch out there. An absolute negative WAR example if there ever was one. We have some sort of craven addiction to fucking up personnel choices every season at WR. It took these stumblefucks 3 fucking years to realize, "Eureka! I've got it! We should be playing Devin Duvernay in the slot!". Motherfuck. 

Washington should not be redshirting and he should be playing X for the duration of the season when CJ can't go. Epps is flat out costing the team with every snap he's taking. 

It was kind of interesting. We heard all spring and summer how Epps was showing out. Meanwhile, everyone here was like "I don't believe it". Then, the season started and he looked exactly like we thought he would. I guess Drew was sending out the misinformation and the $9.95ers believed it. I thought the $9.95ers went to practice, though. Obviously, they suck at their jobs.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

try reading. I’m not giving up on Epps, but he’s a limited player even if he pans out. People keep acting like he has all the skill and potential in the world when he doesn’t. He could be good for us, but he’s never going to be a dominant WR. There’s too many things he doesn’t posses the physical ability to do. 

he is fluid for his size/speed, is he could become a solid possession receiver, but that’s his ceiling.

You have no idea what he will be in 3 years. He looks like shit right now but we have a real program now, development could happen and the light can come on.

Just now, Bevo said:

It was kind of interesting. We heard all spring and summer how Epps was showing out. Meanwhile, everyone here was like "I don't believe it". Then, the season started and he looked exactly like we thought he would. I guess Drew was sending out the misinformation and the $9.95ers believed it. I thought the $9.95ers went to practice, though. Obviously, they suck at their jobs.

They only go to the open portions, which shows you close to nothing. All of their “intel” is secondhand from sources who are at all the practices, or just completely made up in some $9.95ers cases. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You just described Jake Smith /Bevo

IT

COACHES ON THE ROAD

Texas HC Tom Herman saw three players last night - Troy Omeire, Josh Eaton, and Josh White. He’ll be in Arizona today to catch Salpointe Catholic (AZ) five-star Bijan Robinson, and OL target Jonah Miller with RB coach Stan Drayton.

Texas co-DC Todd Orlando watched New Caney OLB Derrick Harris Jr and the aforementioned White. White's going to be a tough pull. They need to keep working on mama.

Texas CB coach Jason Washington saw Texas commit Josh Eaton last night, and he’ll head to Arizona today to see Saguaro (AZ) five-star Kelee Ringo. Ringo gives off the impression Texas is in a good spot but we feel there's a couple obstacles in the way. Don't get your hopes up but don't entirely rule it out. It would be found money for the class. 20%

Texas OL coach Herb Hand is in Houston over the next few days. He’ll see ‘21 Katy Taylor duo Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster, Bellaire Episcopal’s Donovan Jackson, and Richmond Foster’s Reuben Fatheree.

Texas OC Tim Beck will continue to hang out in DFW. After watching Dallas Skyline WR Quay Davis, Beck will watch 2022 quarterbacks Braedyn Locke (Rockwall) and Quinn Ewers (Southlake Carroll). While watching Southlake he can also put eyes on Andrej Karic. Beck will also be by John Paul II today to see 2021 wide receiver Jerand Bradley.

Texas Inside WR coach Corby Meekins watched Troy Omeire with Herman last night. He may stay in the Houston area tonight.

Texas WR coach Drew Mehringer checked out Quay Davis with coach Beck on Thursday night and is headed to St. Louis to check in on a few players, and kick the tires on Ohio State commit Mookie Cooper. Mehringer stopped by Royce City (TX) to see junior WR Ketron Jackson. Jackson has recently picked up TCU and Ohio State but is still under evaluation for Texas.

Carthage is off this week, but they play Pleasant Grove next weekend. We’ll be there to see many targets - Landon Jackson, Kelvontay Dixon, Marcus Burris, Nick Martin.

Texas is in a great spot for Dixon, the 6-foot, 180-pound Arkansas ATH commit. Dixon will OV to Fayetteville for the Auburn game in mid-October. We're starting to think Dixon will end up in the class. Funny, that was our initial belief 10 months ago but for a long time it wasn't looking likely. Dixon bears watching. When limited on numbers you either want special players or versatile ones. Dixon has versatility and if he finds a home early in his career perhaps he surprises to the upside. Good athlete with a good frame to work with.

Another player to keep your eye on is Midland Lee wide receiver Loic Fouonji. If Texas gets to 24 players, Loic might have a spot. He might be too good to pass up but his spot in the class is dependent on numbers. If they take him they could use a redshirt and short the number in 2021.

Texas will host four-star WR LV Bunkley-Shelton (Junipero Serra HS - CA) for an official visit during the Kansas game weekend. UT loves his explosiveness but there's no guarantee he ends up in the class.

How did Texas flip Troy Omeire? Troy’s mom initially wanted him at A&M. Then during fall practice while still uncertain he asked some people with influence where he should go. They said Texas and by then mom was on board. We had heard he was wanting Texas at the time of his initial decision.

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Whining about legitimate football discussion and how it impacts our recruiting is just dumb. You deserved the neg. 

Bootstrapping what you yourself call football discussion into a recruiting thread is even dumber. Too dumb to deserve a neg. Oh boy, I'm calling people dumb. It really is a very intellectually satisfying activity. You're dumb, you big dummy! Hee hee!

44 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Turns out that our cornerbacks are really good at being in the right place but are really bad at making a play on the ball.  So Epps' lack of physicality or ability to use his body to screen DBs didn't show up as an issue in practice.

Turns out we were learning more about our CBs than we were about Epps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fuck no. You don’t move Duvernay out of H no matter what else happens. 

Exactly.  You want Sam's safety net in position to make adjustments to the blitz with a hot route and burn the D for it.  They are so much in synch right now you'd think their dads were college roommates or something...

Just now, totallynotabuttpirate said:

RE: The retarded Jake Smith stuff, hasn't he bulked up quite a bit since high school? Maybe it's going to take a little bit to get that perceived lack of quickness back? 

I member Duvernay's  first couple years when it looked like he wasn't very quick or elusive in open space. 

Honestly, the thing I'm most hopeful for Jake Smith is that he has a similar physical development to Duvernay.  Duvernay's always been thickly-built, but if Smith can bulk up to where he can dish out punishment like Duvernay (without sacrificing speed), he's going to be a terror, because his body control is so much better than Duvernay's is/was at the same point in time.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Most consistent run of actual football discussion in weeks and people don't like it? It even related back to WR and TE numbers in the class.

It's not like this kind of stuff actually gets talked about much on the football board.

Outside of a tiny roll of raw fish and rice, this board is far superior in actual analysis to the Football board. 

Edited by BigBenBamboozle
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Most consistent run of actual football discussion in weeks and people don't like it? It even related back to WR and TE numbers in the class.

It's not like this kind of stuff actually gets talked about much on the football board.

No, I don't like it. This is a recruiting forum. Most of the last 3 pages have been anything but recruiting. To top it off, most of the "discussion" regarding TEs and WRs has been absolutely, dumbfoundingly stupid. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

No, I don't like it. This is a recruiting forum. Most of the last 3 pages have been anything but recruiting. To top it off, most of the "discussion" regarding TEs and WRs has been absolutely, dumbfoundingly stupid. 

Pack it up, boys. Bolero88 has spoken. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Honestly, the thing I'm most hopeful for Jake Smith is that he has a similar physical development to Duvernay.  Duvernay's always been thickly-built, but if Smith can bulk up to where he can dish out punishment like Duvernay (without sacrificing speed), he's going to be a terror, because his body control is so much better than Duvernay's is/was at the same point in time.

Yeah, but what about his hands? 

11 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

No shit, lets get back to the real question here.  Would you think Sarah Michelle Gellar in a timezone between Phoenix and Denver would sign up for a class in Zoroastrianism?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Cook has weirdly gotten worse than he was end of freshman year. I'm hoping both sides of the pair succeed to the best of their ability. I would also like a slice of blackberry pie a la mode and a date with Olivia Wilde, but we can't have it all I suppose.

Recovery speed concerns me. Looks like he'll get a chance over the next few weeks to prove himself.